The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Re: The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Post by 97cats »

Arizona will soon be approaching a stretch without a home game for almost a month while playing four true road games in that same period against Tennessee, UCLA, USC, and ASU.

the xmas/New Years road tour toward a #1 Seed
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Stretches like that usually don't happen for ranked major conference teams. If we go 4-0 or 3-1 in that stretch we'll know this team is definitely in the 1-2 seed discussion.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Not sure if the Cats would receive a 1 seed. Duke, Gonzaga, Purdue, and Baylor would be my 1 seeds at the current time. I believe the Cats right now are a legitimate 2 seed.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Wah, if we get a 2 seed this year, that would be amazing. With how poorly the rest of the pac is doing in the non con, we will not have the luxury of having many off nights during conference play. Hope we can keep up the intensity keep winning.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:12 pm Wah, if we get a 2 seed this year, that would be amazing. With how poorly the rest of the pac is doing in the non con, we will not have the luxury of having many off nights during conference play. Hope we can keep up the intensity keep winning.
I was worried about the intensity coming out some marquee wins under the bright lights and we damn near doubled the spread.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:12 pm Wah, if we get a 2 seed this year, that would be amazing. With how poorly the rest of the pac is doing in the non con, we will not have the luxury of having many off nights during conference play. Hope we can keep up the intensity keep winning.
The PAC team surpassing expectations right now besides us is USC. They are playing defense and are very experienced. I see everybody suggesting a top seed when we really haven't played anybody. We have been very impressive but let's wait till we start to play legit teams to gauge where we are truly at.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

billk78 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:51 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:44 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:40 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:44 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:35 pm

I think UCLA’s guards/wings are the best in the league. They’re deep at those positions and can hurt you in a lot of ways.

Aside from them, though, I don’t see another team I’d say we’re “overmatched” by. Oregon got killed again tonight. USC and Colorado have been solid so far.
It sucks seeing KJ Simpson contributing for Colorado.
KJ Simpson would be fighting with Adama Bal for minutes here. I'm not going to try and extinguish your flame for him / your ire for Lloyd's recruiting for not retaining him, but let's be real about the impact he could make for Arizona this season.
It's more about who's next. Kier is definitely gone and I expect Mathurin will be as well. Backup PG and perimeter depth is a big question next year and not addressed in our recruiting class to date.

Simpson wouldn't be doing much this year, but as a developmental prospect who would hopefully be stepping into a more major role as a soph, I think he'd be useful. Maybe Bal or Nowell help, but neither strikes me as a backup PG, which Simpson would be.
I think we have to start considering the possibility of being without Koloko next year too. Hes playing himself into a draft pick.
He plays the way he has been and he's definitely a 1st rounder. The NBA can use a rim protector in the rotation and he still has so much upside.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:14 am
He plays the way he has been and he's definitely a 1st rounder. The NBA can use a rim protector in the rotation and he still has so much upside.
Wouldn't worry about who replaces Koloko. Bal will likely replace Kier in that role, but Arizona will definitely add a transfer to patch his role as well.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

TheCat wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:46 am
The PAC team surpassing expectations right now besides us is USC. They are playing defense and are very experienced. I see everybody suggesting a top seed when we really haven't played anybody. We have been very impressive but let's wait till we start to play legit teams to gauge where we are truly at.
And they shouldn't be much of a surprise. They let the world see what they were made of last year (I will also contend USC had an advantage in last year's tournament, what with being used to playing in front of no one), and have been steadily becoming their coach's vision of FGCU with bigger athletes. They may not run and gun like that squad that got Enfield the USC job, but they are long and athletic and capable of getting on the break.

Oregon is the pleasant surprise failure of the year, and they may yet get it together, but I don't know if you can be that much better than multiple performances have proven. Next to Tad Boyle, I love to see Dana Altman fail the most (and while I always cheer for ASU to fail, I really don't have that much hate for Bobby Hurley. I used to. But what I know of him as a grown man impresses me...except for when he is on the court coaching. Much like Mike Stoops, he is a decent man who becomes a lunatic during a game).

UCLA is still very, very good. But I also think they got on a nice run of 4 games last year, and played better than they are. They have so many options, but no true number one. Some nights, that is great. Some nights, that can be fatal (we have a bit of the same problem...I keep waiting for Ben to become that solo killer, but so far, we haven't really needed to see who that clear late game option is, outside the stunned final minutes of WSU).
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Massey composite has us at 5, UCLA @ 9, USC @ 12, Utah @ 43, WSU @ 60, Oregon @ 80, Colo @ 82, ASU @ 128, Washington @ 150 & OSU @ 167. So we aren't going to learn much about our team this week unless they really falter on the road. Ill is @ 42, Tenn @ 23. That stretch of away vs Tenn, UCLA, USC & ASU is really going to be something. When is the last time we played a stretch like that? I really hope it doesn't kill their confidence if they lose 3 in a row
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TheCat wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:46 am
We have a better resume than Texas, Kansas, Kentucky, and Arkansas right now. Who are all ranked above us.

I deplore the desire to be humble about early rankings and results. Right now we look good - let's embrace that. If we look different later then we'll deal with that later.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What would you have said if someone said AZ would be a top 10 team by early December?

Unreal. Loving this team so much.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Arizona in the polls/rankings - games thru 11/28/21:
1. Ken Massey
5. Massey composite (of 20 polls/rankings)
6. Jeff Sagarin
8. Net Forecast
11. RPI Forecast
11. AP Writers
11. USA Today Coaches
11. CBS Top 25+1
15. ESPN BPI
16. Ken Pomeroy

269. SOS - Sagarin
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

With road games against Oregon St, Illinois, Tennessee, USC and UCLA in the next 35 days it certainly gives us a shot at putting together an impressive resume
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

97cats wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:15 pm Arizona will soon be approaching a stretch without a home game for almost a month while playing four true road games in that same period against Tennessee, UCLA, USC, and ASU.

I said the same thing in the 2021-2022 thread but got no response. I genuflect to you ‘97. :D

Add Illinois to that list and you have 5 true road games with 4 out of the 5 opponents being currently ranked. It will certainly tell us more about this team after that stretch.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Been a long time since our front court led the stats

Tubelis - 16.5P 6.5R 2.3A 1B 63%FG
Koloko - 16.2P 7.5R 3.5B 1.7A 69%FG
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:15 pm Arizona will soon be approaching a stretch without a home game for almost a month while playing four true road games in that same period against Tennessee, UCLA, USC, and ASU.

We'll beat the shit out of ASU. Not sure on the other three.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:17 pm

I think we are looking past quite a few games before we get to that string of 3 teams that may or may not still be ranked by the time we play them. Tennesee is still almost a month and 6 games away. Two of those games (OSU and Illinois) are also true road games against decent competition and could be traps if we look past them.

Over December, I see
  • WA, @OSU, and WY as wins. Caveat: OSU took Wake Forrest to OT too! and AT Wake's house - so we can't just take them lightly.
  • Then Illinois is a head scratcher. They appear to be an inferior team that we should handle. But its at their house, our first true road game against a team that could give us a true challenge. So we could be troubled.
  • Then comes N. Colo and Cal Baptist. Should be two wins.
  • Only then do we get to Tennesee, UCLA, and USC in rapid succession.
  • I see Tennesee as a tough game but a win.
  • At this point the UCLA game looks like a true tossup, I think. But its a month away and a month is a long time in Basketball.
  • We should (IMO) beat USC, but, again its a month away, and there could be a hangover after a huge win over UCLA.
I'd be happy to come out of that with 2 losses; ecstatic with only 1 loss. If we are undefeated in December (and the first week of January), I am not sure there would be anybody left that could trouble us in the regular season. The last game of the regular season is @Colorado and they are usually tough at home, but I don't think this year is going to be that year. I have pretty much the same thoughts about Utah.

For sure we are going to lose unexpectedly sometime. But, really, if we get out of December undefeated, we should be heavily favored in every game home or away after that.

I do agree that ASU will be a walkover - two actually - and that is not just because it is ASU but also because it is ASSU.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

excellent points and terrific post! exciting, positive times again for Arizona Basketball.

Go Cats!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Uh that is a projection for a possible undefeated season. No one has ever gone undefeated in the PAC10/12 era in conference. I watched IlL. last night and they can get hot. A possible player of the year at center who runs pretty well in Kofi. Some pretty stout guards also. They will be tough at home.

The team that continues to impress me is USC.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I think we match up with UCLA very well. Might come down to which team is hitting their jumpers that day.

I think USC is going to give us more trouble based on personnel and style of play.

I am very excited to see us play against conference opponents this week.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RichardCranium wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:40 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:17 pm

I think we are looking past quite a few games before we get to that string of 3 teams that may or may not still be ranked by the time we play them. Tennesee is still almost a month and 6 games away. Two of those games (OSU and Illinois) are also true road games against decent competition and could be traps if we look past them.

Over December, I see
  • WA, @OSU, and WY as wins. Caveat: OSU took Wake Forrest to OT too! and AT Wake's house - so we can't just take them lightly.
  • Then Illinois is a head scratcher. They appear to be an inferior team that we should handle. But its at their house, our first true road game against a team that could give us a true challenge. So we could be troubled.
  • Then comes N. Colo and Cal Baptist. Should be two wins.
  • Only then do we get to Tennesee, UCLA, and USC in rapid succession.
  • I see Tennesee as a tough game but a win.
  • At this point the UCLA game looks like a true tossup, I think. But its a month away and a month is a long time in Basketball.
  • We should (IMO) beat USC, but, again its a month away, and there could be a hangover after a huge win over UCLA.
I'd be happy to come out of that with 2 losses; ecstatic with only 1 loss. If we are undefeated in December (and the first week of January), I am not sure there would be anybody left that could trouble us in the regular season. The last game of the regular season is @Colorado and they are usually tough at home, but I don't think this year is going to be that year. I have pretty much the same thoughts about Utah.

For sure we are going to lose unexpectedly sometime. But, really, if we get out of December undefeated, we should be heavily favored in every game home or away after that.

I do agree that ASU will be a walkover - two actually - and that is not just because it is ASU but also because it is ASSU.
Excellent post, RC.

Ain't no way we're getting through December without a loss. I'll be very happy to reach Jan. 1 with just two losses.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think Tyger Campbell shows poise and controls his offense well against most teams. But he's slowed down by his small body's burden of supporting his heavy hair. His teammates are ready for fifth gear, but they're anchored by the gravity-sucking vortex of their point guard, who kind of needs to spring upward and push downward to control that big basketball. Here he comes again. Bounce, bounce, bounce. Come on, get it across half court. Strain hard and heave that pass. There you go. Wait, we have to shoot before that clock hits zero. Where's the ball? Oh, the fast team with the long arms just scored in the other direction again?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:21 am I think Tyger Campbell shows poise and controls his offense well against most teams. But he's slowed down by his small body's burden of supporting his heavy hair. His teammates are ready for fifth gear, but they're anchored by the gravity-sucking vortex of their point guard, who kind of needs to spring upward and push downward to control that big basketball. Here he comes again. Bounce, bounce, bounce. Come on, get it across half court. Strain hard and heave that pass. There you go. Wait, we have to shoot before that clock hits zero. Where's the ball? Oh, the fast team with the long arms just scored in the other direction again?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm actually serious. I might be wrong, but that's how UCLA looks to me. I think we're a bad matchup for them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:21 am I think Tyger Campbell shows poise and controls his offense well against most teams. But he's slowed down by his small body's burden of supporting his heavy hair. His teammates are ready for fifth gear, but they're anchored by the gravity-sucking vortex of their point guard, who kind of needs to spring upward and push downward to control that big basketball. Here he comes again. Bounce, bounce, bounce. Come on, get it across half court. Strain hard and heave that pass. There you go. Wait, we have to shoot before that clock hits zero. Where's the ball? Oh, the fast team with the long arms just scored in the other direction again?

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:48 am I'm actually serious. I might be wrong, but that's how UCLA looks to me. I think we're a bad matchup for them.
Well, let's see...

Koloko/M. Johnson (advantage AZ)
Tubelis/Riley (push)
Terry/Jacquez (advantage UCLA)
Mathurin/Juzang (push)
Kriisa/Campbell (advantage UCLA just because TC is by far the more experienced player, and his offensive game has gotten better)

Bench: advantage AZ (I'll take Larsson, Aiken, Kier, and Ballo over Bernard, Singleton, Watson and Singleton)

I will say, though: this match-up looks a lot closer than I would've thought before the season. A lot of that has to do with Koloko's emergence as a dominant player.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

I watched Illinois last night, too. I cannot wait to see “Cobun” match up against Koloko. Almost makes me want to fly back to downstate Illinois.

Almost…
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

"Cobun" looks like he'll dominate but then always gets squashed by any doofus.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I am enjoying basketball this year more than than I have in the last 15 years. I'm not sure why. I never desired to see a pro game since I lived in Indiana and watched the Pacers play (although I was a Bulls fan and before Michael Jordan). I believe it has to do with college basketball and thinking it was declining. Sean Miller could win but I found his style boring and thought college basketball was declining. It may be because of the OAD, but it is still fun to watch in the right system. An advantage of my job is I can live anywhere in the country. I may be moving back to Tucson to watch the Cats (and other UA sports).

This has a lot to do with Tommy Lloyd as a coach. I love his style of play and you can see the players are having fun, instead of working a job. He has made college basketball fun to watch again. IMO, if the Cats prove themselves this season (strongly believe they will) recruiting won't be a problem.

When you look at CTL, I love his optimism, knowledge, honesty, and communication skills. I believe he will be loved by the media. I believe his ceiling is really high. I consider him being considered as one of the best coaches in the country in the next 5-10 years. And the biggest thing I like is Arizona is his ideal job and, as long as we treat him right, he will be here for decades. Of course, some of this is dreaming, but I can envision it.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizonas Pac12 schedule doesn’t include a home game against Washington State or a road game in Eugene against the Ducks? is that right?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

97cats wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:59 pm Arizonas Pac12 schedule doesn’t include a home game against Washington State or a road game in Eugene against the Ducks? is that right?
Sounds about right. We don't play everyone anymore.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

COVID precautions or getting our ass kicked in McKale? You can never be too careful...
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Way to fuck over Lute night Washington
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:13 pm Way to fuck over Lute night Washington
ya, man no doubt didn’t even think of that…effin COVID
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

and Terrell Brown's first game in front of McKale fans. He is averaging 21PPG this year
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:39 pm and Terrell Brown's first game in front of McKale fans. He is averaging 21PPG this year
Feel like we've had a long history of our transfers going on to do big things elsewhere. Not all, of course, but a lot.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Terrell Brown 21PPG 41%FG 13%3PT
Akinjo 10PPG 37%FG 33%3PT
Barcello 18PPG 53 FG 45%3PT 92%FT
Jordan Brown 12.5PPG 6.8R 41%FG 45%3PT
Gorener 10PPG 47%FG 50%3PT
Doutrive 9PPG 48%FG 35%3PT
Akot 9PPG 39%FG 33%3PT
Thielemans 4PPG
Batcho 2PPG
Jemarl 4PPG in 28MPG(ouch)
Ira knee injury
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Jefe wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:10 pm Terrell Brown 21PPG 41%FG 13%3PT
Akot 9PPG 39%FG 33%3PT
Thielemans 4PPG
Batcho 2PPG
Ira knee injury
I'm looking further back: Ruben Douglas, Luke Recker, Will Bynum, JP Prince, Momo Jones, Justin Simon...probably a few I'm forgetting.

Also, I should temper this a little. None of these guys (save for Douglas) did truly big things at their next college. But they may've done better elsewhere than they would've with us.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:44 pm
Jefe wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:39 pm and Terrell Brown's first game in front of McKale fans. He is averaging 21PPG this year
Feel like we've had a long history of our transfers going on to do big things elsewhere. Not all, of course, but a lot.
actually it was the opposite at Arizona for many years, Will Bynum was the only one that left for greener pastures that i recall advancing at a higher rate and i wouldnt call it "BIG" things for him individually but it was a positive uptick for him at GT.

Rueben Douglas was the only one before that...

recently with the rash of bologna going on in Tucson there is a higher success rate, most notably Alex Barcello.

OF NOTE: transfers who transfer to Arizona and then transfer again are not the same as kids who commit to play directly out of high school and then transfer.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:42 pm
Akot 9PPG 39%FG 33%3PT
Thielemans 4PPG
Batcho 2PPG
Ira knee injury
I'm looking further back: Ruben Douglas, Luke Recker, Will Bynum, JP Prince, Momo Jones, Justin Simon...probably a few I'm forgetting.

Also, I should temper this a little. None of these guys (save for Douglas) did truly big things at their next college. But they may've done better elsewhere than they would've with us.
JP Prince did not do big things at Tennessee
Momo Jones did not do BIG things at IONA (not original commit - transfer)
Justin Simon had flashes at St John's but not HUGE success
Luke Recker did nothing at Minnesota (not original commit - transfer)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:46 pm
Akot 9PPG 39%FG 33%3PT
Thielemans 4PPG
Batcho 2PPG
Ira knee injury

You have a better memory than I do, 97. It's probably that I dimly recall these guys showing up in the NCAA tourney (or even just in their respective leagues) and getting some good highlights. May've happened in years when we got knocked out early.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

97cats wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:46 pm
Akot 9PPG 39%FG 33%3PT
Thielemans 4PPG
Batcho 2PPG
Ira knee injury

And Elliot Pitts was a rapist
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I heard Luke Recker used to sit on the sofa without a shirt and just bite into a big chunk of cheese.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Fwiw, Recker led Iowa in scoring and steals as a senior. It's true: he never really lived up to the hype, but he was decent as an upperclassmen. He probably got more minutes with Iowa than he would've gotten with us in those years.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Momo Jones averaged 22 points on a tournament team, I am not sure what the definition of BIG things is if that doesn't meet it.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

first round exit - that doesnt meet anything BIG.

take most of these top players and move them to a mid-major low-major and watch what they couldnt do at a power 5 all the sudden become a reality.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:00 pm And Elliot Pitts was a rapist
Luke Recker dumped his cheerleader girlfriend when she ended up a quadriplegic.