The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: The 2021-2022 Season Thread

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:49 pm
Catintheheat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:18 am I am getting ready to drive to the Wyoming game today. 97Cats post reminds me of how people think of me, so I will have to go in a way that others won't be offended, and put my life in danger. I haven't gone to a game in over 11 years because of the restroom issue. So when I attend an event like this I find it impossible to go as I am, without the fear of causing an event. It is apparent that if I want to go to any major event I have to hide who I am. That is just reality. I want to enjoy the game and not be in fear. I can tell stories of what I've had to endure but this isn't the tread for that.
Don't they have either family bathrooms, or gender neutral bathrooms in arenas? I use them all the time since they tend to be cleaner and more private than the men's room. Especially in airports.

Remember the wonky bathroom signs at the Bum Steer? Always saw women going into the men's room, and I personally never had an issue with it.

Even at sporting events years ago, when the line for the women's room was way out the door, so women started using the men's room.

And yes, I understand all it takes is one person to make your life miserable trying to use the bathroom you feel more comfortable in.
Yep, Accessible all gender/family restrooms are located on the first and third (exterior) concourses.

https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/2016 ... eathletics
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:18 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:42 pm Appreciate the conversation around Benn's pro potential.

Since the prevailing opinion here is that he's late lotto at best, I guess I'd ask which players you've watched so far would absolutely come ahead of him in an early '22 mock. I've watched Holmgren a few times, and I'm not at all convinced he's the top player in the next draft. It's hard to imagine a team taking him over Banchero.

Probably not the appropriate thread for this turn in the discussion, but I do think it relates to Benn. Would be interested what folks think of Koloko's draft prospects too.
Yeah that's the part where I could easily be wrong - I just haven't watched enough of the competition to say where Benn will land (and again, plenty of ball to play).

But my gut tells me he's a complimentary wing. To Spiff's point Bridges was that kind of guy too, but he had two years of elite shooting and his length and defense were elite and he was always a positive A:TO player - so he went 10th. I think there's only so much Benn can do this year to get closer to that level (I mean, he's not going to grow his wingspan four inches).

If Benn shows continued growth in his shot creation and gets his FTR back to his freshman level and gets his three point shooting back up towards 40% then top ten is possibly within reach. But again - it depends on the quality of the guys in this class as much as it depends on his own performance.

For what it's worth, Sam Vecinie from The Athletic (an NBA draft ace) has Benn going 11th.
Yeah, that's why I said in my first comparison that Benn lacks the Go Go Gadget arms Bridges has. That said, Bridges was a starter and stalwart for a Finals team, so being a little off of that is no slam.

Bridges is my comp because he's more the slender type like Benn and some of his measurables are pretty dead on. His PER as a soph is basically equal to Benn's and he was also a little underwater on ast% to to%, so not really a playmaker. He topped out at 2 apg in college vs Benn's 1.4, so neither being a distributor.

Benn's next level ceiling is Khris Middleton, his floor is Danuel House, IMO.

To BC's Koloko question, he's gone from no mention to early 2nd round with his play so far. If he keeps it up, I'd have him in the 20-25 range.

He has length you can't teach, a very good block %, decent rebounding (better on offense than D) and has really shown he can be an offensive contributor. He's still learning basketball. I think a team takes him in the late 1st with the idea he gives you a rim protector who also seems like he's comfortable doing dirty work on offense and will mature into a possible starter.

In the 20-25 range, that's a good prospect profile. Elite physical attributes like length will get you a long ways.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Catintheheat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:18 am I am getting ready to drive to the Wyoming game today. 97Cats post reminds me of how people think of me, so I will have to go in a way that others won't be offended, and put my life in danger. I haven't gone to a game in over 11 years because of the restroom issue. So when I attend an event like this I find it impossible to go as I am, without the fear of causing an event. It is apparent that if I want to go to any major event I have to hide who I am. That is just reality. I want to enjoy the game and not be in fear. I can tell stories of what I've had to endure but this isn't the tread for that.
Hope you have no issues, have a great time and get to see a W.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with that over the years. Any person deserves better.

My only exception to the above rule is for ASU fans. I'm sort of in favor of not allowing them to sully my restrooms.

Just joking with that last part. Bear down.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:09 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:42 pm Appreciate the conversation around Benn's pro potential.

Since the prevailing opinion here is that he's late lotto at best, I guess I'd ask which players you've watched so far would absolutely come ahead of him in an early '22 mock. I've watched Holmgren a few times, and I'm not at all convinced he's the top player in the next draft. It's hard to imagine a team taking him over Banchero.

Probably not the appropriate thread for this turn in the discussion, but I do think it relates to Benn. Would be interested what folks think of Koloko's draft prospects too.
Yeah that's the part where I could easily be wrong - I just haven't watched enough of the competition to say where Benn will land (and again, plenty of ball to play).

But my gut tells me he's a complimentary wing. To Spiff's point Bridges was that kind of guy too, but he had two years of elite shooting and his length and defense were elite and he was always a positive A:TO player - so he went 10th. I think there's only so much Benn can do this year to get closer to that level (I mean, he's not going to grow his wingspan four inches).

If Benn shows continued growth in his shot creation and gets his FTR back to his freshman level and gets his three point shooting back up towards 40% then top ten is possibly within reach. But again - it depends on the quality of the guys in this class as much as it depends on his own performance.

For what it's worth, Sam Vecinie from The Athletic (an NBA draft ace) has Benn going 11th.
Yeah, that's why I said in my first comparison that Benn lacks the Go Go Gadget arms Bridges has. That said, Bridges was a starter and stalwart for a Finals team, so being a little off of that is no slam.

Bridges is my comp because he's more the slender type like Benn and some of his measurables are pretty dead on. His PER as a soph is basically equal to Benn's and he was also a little underwater on ast% to to%, so not really a playmaker. He topped out at 2 apg in college vs Benn's 1.4, so neither being a distributor.

To BC's Koloko question, he's gone from no mention to early 2nd round with his play so far. If he keeps it up, I'd have him in the 20-25 range.

He has length you can't teach, a very good block %, decent rebounding (better on offense than D) and has really shown he can be an offensive contributor. He's still learning basketball. I think a team takes him in the late 1st with the idea he gives you a rim protector who also seems like he's comfortable doing dirty work on offense and will mature into a possible starter.

In the 20-25 range, that's a good prospect profile. Elite physical attributes like length will get you a long ways.
I think his (Koloko's) rebounding is sub par for his size and the amount of time he plays. He is a terrific rim protector and help side defender. If he get 2-3 more rebounds he would be stellar. I think he is high second round right now but could easily be late first if he keeps improving. Where he has really improved is fouling and our team really benefits from that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:19 pm My only exception to the above rule is for ASU fans. I'm sort of in favor of not allowing them to sully my restrooms.
A Scummie and a Wildcat are taking a piss. The Wildcat goes to leave without washing up. The Scummie says: 'At ASU they teach us to wash our hands after we pee.' The Wildcat turns to him and says: 'At Arizona they teach us not to piss on our hands'.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

No game thread for The Pokes game tonight?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

wyo-cat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:57 pm No game thread for The Pokes game tonight?
Not sure where POM is, so I started one.

Just don't kill the messenger if the Cats lose.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

You're a brave man, Merk.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:14 pm You're a brave man, Merk.
Hopefully Greg can get it going with his "cracking" GIFS.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

There's no conceivable redemption for Frank Kaminski and Sam Dekker, but Bo Ryan's a different story. I don't wish death upon him, merely a long life of ass cancer.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:15 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:14 pm You're a brave man, Merk.
Hopefully Greg can get it going with his "cracking" GIFS.
That's a hard call. If he's not doing RAP then I bet we don't rate.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:52 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:19 pm My only exception to the above rule is for ASU fans. I'm sort of in favor of not allowing them to sully my restrooms.
A Scummie and a Wildcat are taking a piss. The Wildcat goes to leave without washing up. The Scummie says: 'At ASU they teach us to wash our hands after we pee.' The Wildcat turns to him and says: 'At Arizona they teach us not to piss on our hands'.
A Scum Devil is talking to his Wildcat buddy about how he can never get his wife to cum. So the Wildcat mentions that sometimes women get hot during sex and it impedes their ability to reach orgasm.

His advice is to have a friend in the room wafting a towel over them to cool her off. The Scummie asks his Wildcat buddy if he wouldn’t mind filling that role, and the Wildcat enthusiastically agrees.

That night the Scummie is having vigorous, romantic, lengthy sex with his wife while his buddy wafts a towel over the top of them for like 45 minutes . . . but still, she can’t reach climax.

The Scummie turns to his buddy and says, “ok, you take over.” At which point the Wildcat removes his clothes and starts making love to his friend’s wife.

In no time at all, she climaxes. And shortly thereafter she climaxes again. The Scummie looks at his friend and says…

“See? That’s how you wave a towel.”
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Scum Devil Husband: You know why wives fake orgasms?
Wildcat Husband: Yours? I mean, no, why?
Scum Devil Husband: She thinks I give a shit! HAR!

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:34 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:09 pm

I think his (Koloko's) rebounding is sub par for his size and the amount of time he plays. He is a terrific rim protector and help side defender. If he get 2-3 more rebounds he would be stellar. I think he is high second round right now but could easily be late first if he keeps improving. Where he has really improved is fouling and our team really benefits from that.
I'm not sure on the rebounding. Usually, I would say 15-20 for a rebound % for a big is above average, over 20 is great. Koloko is 16.1. He also only plays about 23 mpg for 7 rpg. A rebound every three minutes is ok.

He could be better, but again, I come back to his experience level and physical development. He has a lot of growth potential.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This team is a legit Final 4 contender.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

They can run with Baylor.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:53 pm This team is a legit Final 4 contender.
Now that’s the kind of post I can get behind!

Wyoming was undefeated before tonight.

I’m starting to believe.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I keep wanting to say let’s not get ahead of ourselves but we are a quarter of the way through the season. 8 games is a pretty good sample size.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Let's go beat Illinois by 30 now!!!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:25 pm I keep wanting to say let’s not get ahead of ourselves but we are a quarter of the way through the season. 8 games is a pretty good sample size.
Think it’s undeniable that we are a contender, almost regardless of what happens this weekend. The first loss is coming, probably this month, but a loss or two won’t change that this team appears capable of reaching the 2nd weekend of the tournament.

Man, when Kriisa shoots like that, we are nearly unstoppable on offense.
Abrahamarvel

Post by Abrahamarvel »

30-0
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:09 pm
wyo-cat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:57 pm No game thread for The Pokes game tonight?
Not sure where POM is, so I started one.

Just don't kill the messenger if the Cats lose.

It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

TucsonClip

Vs. Wyoming

Post by TucsonClip »

Honestly, I cant begin to describe just how elated I am that this is the style of ball we are seeing in Tucson again. Not only are we getting up and down, forcing turnovers, getting out in transition and sharing the ball, but the game plans have been extremely versatile and opponent specific, which is not easy to do in college.

For example, we have gone from vanilla, albeit an entirely new defensive system (which I described in a post last month) the first few games, to swapping ball screen coverages mid half, to doubling off the passer, to trapping corners, even doubling the corner reversal pass to eliminate the hi-low against quality bigs. Oh yeah, pressing after made FTs and even some zone too.

I tried to give you all a sense of what the expected defensive rotations were under Miller, not because they were elementary in any way, but so we could all begin to pick up when adjustments are made mid game, or for specific opponents. While Lloyd definitely has a base defense, good luck trying to prepare for it, because you never know what tweaks you are going to see.

Impossible for me to tell you where these adjusted game plans derive from, but they sure look a lot like multiple NBA-style coverages and adjustments. Not going to put that all on Fois, but I dont think its any secret he took the reigns for the Michigan assignment. Thats likely a part of Murphy and Robinson, and obviously Lloyd too, but it is an interesting development I was keeping an eye on in evaluating Lloyd. Either way, its fun as hell to watch, and you would be hard pressed to find many teams capable of running so many different schemes at the college level. A lot of the credit goes to coaching via preparation and drilling assignments during the week.

Furthermore, its not just on defense. The continuity ball screen action has been shelved, for the time being, and in is a more traditional spread PNR. My speculation is that it allows some guys to play to their strengths in Zu and Benn, because they arent forced to make quick reads. Instead they can still attack off ball movement and more traditional catch and shoot/drive/pass from a standstill, or for Zu to see more space rolling off a high ball screen. You are also seeing cross court cutters when the defense shifts to defend Zu facing up in the mid post. Meanwhile, Benn has taken off since the switch, and Kerr continues to show that hes fully capable to run a spread PNR offense.

Yet again, it goes beyond that. Its the small details in calls from the bench or SLOB/BLOB play calls. We've seen a few times this season, Arizona set up a ball reversal, baseline step up screen against the zone, freeing up Benn for easy lobs. Another one, actually from tonight, we saw a BLOB pin down set early in the game to get Kerr his first three out of a deal ball. Its an easy, rhythm, set your feet, square and catch, shoot. Then, to start the second half, we went with a side pin down for Zu, who caught the pass and went right into a mid 4-5 PNR with Koloko. The creativity is there is leaps and bounds, and we arent even into January.

Finally, I will close with my favorite quote of the night from Don MacLean, "This year, you see Kriisa is a PG and was just playing out of position last year."

As Ralph Lawler would say every time a Clipper hit a three... "BINGO"
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

I want to state this now. I'm not being modest. I believe right now Tommy Lloyd is the best coach in the country. The rest of the country doesn't know yet. I want to put this out there because there will be those who say I am getting ahead of myself. I will eat crow if this isn't the case in 5 years.

What I really like about CTL is that he doesn't play a rigid system. He talks with his players on how to attack the next team. He starts with a blank canvas for each game. That is so special. That tells me he is a master painter. I was at the Wyoming game and was very disappointed because of the number of empty seats. We have a gem of a coach. I am considering moving back to Tucson so I can buy season tickets.

The last time a school beat teams this badly was the 71-72 UCLA Bruins. I do not understand why people aren't fighting for tickets, but I will. I am considering moving back to Tucson and able to purchase a season ticket for Tommy Lloyd's teams. He brought me back to loving college basketball.

We may actually have the best coach in the country., It's just not known yet. I don't want to miss a minute of it.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Men's NET ranking = 3
Women's NET ranking = 7
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Catintheheat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:15 amI was at the Wyoming game and was very disappointed because of the number of empty seats.

I do not understand why people aren't fighting for tickets
Covid is still keeping people at home I’m guessing. Some may still be salty at the Miller firing or not yet fully on board the Tommy Train, but I’d be willing to bet there are a lot of people who would attend games but just aren’t comfortable yet being indoors around that many people.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:35 pm [
Think it’s undeniable that we are a contender, almost regardless of what happens this weekend. The first loss is coming, probably this month, but a loss or two won’t change that this team appears capable of reaching the 2nd weekend of the tournament.

Man, when Kriisa shoots like that, we are nearly unstoppable on offense.
You misspelled 3rd weekend.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Just got some tickets for both the UCLA and USC home games, can't wait!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:25 pm I keep wanting to say let’s not get ahead of ourselves but we are a quarter of the way through the season. 8 games is a pretty good sample size.
Also, there's something to comparing us to reasonable expectations. On that note, I think we look better than any previous Wildcat team looked in early December so far this millennium. Maybe ever.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:15 am
Catintheheat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:15 amI was at the Wyoming game and was very disappointed because of the number of empty seats.

Covid is still keeping people at home I’m guessing. Some may still be salty at the Miller firing or not yet fully on board the Tommy Train, but I’d be willing to bet there are a lot of people who would attend games but just aren’t comfortable yet being indoors around that many people.
There's a ton of us with kids 5-11 waiting for two weeks after their second shot before we come home from a couple hours in McKale.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

The three man Weave podcast giving CTL props for adopting an analytics approach and focusing on shot quality.

I have to say the on court product is phenomenal and Lloyd and staff are so good at what they do switching the way this team plays in such a short time and making them so good! Plus the players, I love the excitement they play with. So fun to watch a team that loves each other.

I haven't been this excited about a team since the Aaron Gordon year!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:46 am
Also, there's something to comparing us to reasonable expectations. On that note, I think we look better than any previous Wildcat team looked in early December so far this millennium. Maybe ever.
Best start I can remember since 1987-88. That team turned out to be pretty special too.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Up to #1 in the NET rankings

https://bracketologists.com/
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Macho Grande wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:49 am Up to #1 in the NET rankings

https://bracketologists.com/
Team Rankings - #2
T-Rank - #6
KenPom - #9
Sagarin - #5
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Happy to see everyone slowly coming to the realization that this team is quite good. I get times have been weird, but a lot of people who actually watched last years team play (really with having the season torn from them) saw what was in the cards. Miller had pieces, and those pieces have turned from frosh to soph. Returning talent/transfer pieces far supersedes HS recruits in todays landscape IMO.
I get that people love the new system, it is a blast to watch. But let’s not forget last year we ended up with a top 15 offense.

Definitely fun times, whose foundation was laid last year by the former coach (who to his credit is delighted with this year’s performance/coaching)
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:48 am

There's a ton of us with kids 5-11 waiting for two weeks after their second shot before we come home from a couple hours in McKale.
While not close enough to go to McKale, I feel this too as I am still debating on whether or not to go to the game @Tennessee for this very reason. Although, my youngest is under that age 5 cutoff so that is an added concern. While the statistics say kids should be fine, that doesn't matter if it happens to be your kid that's not.
mofo

Post by mofo »

I think I'm most impressed with how quickly they've picked up the new system. I've read on here multiple times in the past that Miller's pack line defense really doesn't click until year 2 for most kids. I'm not basketball expert to be able to say what systems are easier than others to learn, but in my mind I would expect a fast-paced system to be more susceptible to mistakes if it's not instinctive, which I also assume would take more time to get to that point. TucsonClip said above "you would be hard pressed to find many teams capable of running so many different schemes at the college level". That should take time right?? It hasn't.

I expected a good team by the 2nd half of the season and heading into March based on our existing players but with some road bumps early. I assumed implementing new systems on both sides of the court was going to take some time for the kids to figure out and play instinctively. That hasn't been the case at all and if it continues, watch out in March!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:08 am Happy to see everyone slowly coming to the realization that this team is quite good. I get times have been weird, but a lot of people who actually watched last years team play (really with having the season torn from them) saw what was in the cards. Miller had pieces, and those pieces have turned from frosh to soph. Returning talent/transfer pieces far supersedes HS recruits in todays landscape IMO.
I get that people love the new system, it is a blast to watch. But let’s not forget last year we ended up with a top 15 offense.

Definitely fun times, whose foundation was laid last year by the former coach (who to his credit is delighted with this year’s performance/coaching)
I could not agree with this post more. I loved last year's team and it was because I always thought I could see the seeds of something special being planted.

There were rough times last year, but I don't think you see any of the 5 starters doing what they do without the foundation that was laid. I remember thinking a lot you could see the talent that was there and it was close but just not fully developed. Close L's like UCLA and Oregon at home, we were just that little bit short.

This year, I think you're seeing that growth and that we're not coming up short. I think some of it is toughness learned under a crazy Covid schedule and the psychological impact of the tourney ban. Some of it is just natural growth of players. Some of it is a credit to Miller for laying foundation. Some of it is a credit to Lloyd to building on that foundation.

One of the more impressive things, every recruit in the 2020 class paid off. In 2021, every major recruit paid off (Batcho's knee and Goerner getting buried prevent claiming 100% success). 8 of 10 recruits being major producers within 2 years is unusual.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

mofo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:46 am I think I'm most impressed with how quickly they've picked up the new system. I've read on here multiple times in the past that Miller's pack line defense really doesn't click until year 2 for most kids. I'm not basketball expert to be able to say what systems are easier than others to learn, but in my mind I would expect a fast-paced system to be more susceptible to mistakes if it's not instinctive, which I also assume would take more time to get to that point. TucsonClip said above "you would be hard pressed to find many teams capable of running so many different schemes at the college level". That should take time right?? It hasn't.

I expected a good team by the 2nd half of the season and heading into March based on our existing players but with some road bumps early. I assumed implementing new systems on both sides of the court was going to take some time for the kids to figure out and play instinctively. That hasn't been the case at all and if it continues, watch out in March!
The offensive system isn’t that complicated. It’s about running your ass off to spots and then attacking when you get the ball in space. And when Tommy says effort then execution, I believe him. I give him and the kids credit for their all out hustle and spacing.

His defense isn’t all that different than Miller’s. It’s Man with a ton of switching. The difference is that we pick up the other players much farther away from the basket which is fine because if someone gets beat the D rotates over and we have a legit rim protector in the middle. Tommy also doesn’t ask his centers to chase their man all over the perimeter.

Let’s not forget that guys like Kriisa, Zu, & Larsson having been playing overseas against straight up men, and that guys like Kier and Aiken have played in a lot of different systems. So I don’t think it takes them too long to adjust to new systems.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

mofo wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:46 am I think I'm most impressed with how quickly they've picked up the new system. I've read on here multiple times in the past that Miller's pack line defense really doesn't click until year 2 for most kids. I'm not basketball expert to be able to say what systems are easier than others to learn, but in my mind I would expect a fast-paced system to be more susceptible to mistakes if it's not instinctive, which I also assume would take more time to get to that point. TucsonClip said above "you would be hard pressed to find many teams capable of running so many different schemes at the college level". That should take time right?? It hasn't.

I tend to think of it like this. This year's team is unique in that all 5 starters were at least part time starters and major minutes guys last year. Aiken and Kier off the bench both have 3-4 years of college experience as starters or major minutes guys.

For my money, HS and AAU ball rarely has much of a system to learn. Every player at Arizona was a huge talent who was the man at the HS/AAU level and frequently just needed to show up.

To me, one of the first steps isn't learning a particular type of system, it's learning how to play within any system instead of just going out and being a man among boys. It's why our experience is so notable. Everyone getting minutes has been through the learning phase of just understanding what it is not to be out there playing formal pickup ball.

It's really unusual for a team to not have a single freshman in the rotation. It's hard to tweak before the basics are nailed down. This team has guys who nailed down the basics over the previous years (even in different systems) and now are ready to adjust on the fly in the way a less experienced team cannot.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:46 am
This year is very good, but the 13-14 team does deserve some love. The margin wasn't as high, but that's because 13-14 had a neutral site game vs #6 Duke and a road game vs a SDSU team that made the Sweet 16. Of course, my thinking is probably colored by the fact that 13-14 started 21-0 and spent 8 weeks at #1.

Not that it takes away from a huge start by this team one bit.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I know I beat a dead horse, but maybe Robbins and Heeke creating obstacles and dissension around Miller for years, hurting interest with a tourney ban, etc. weren't actually a great strategy for driving interest in the program?

They wanted Miller out but didn't have the guts to fire him while he was popular, so they hurt the overall popularity of the program to get him fired. He's now gone, but some of that damage doesn't get undone overnight.
RondaeShimmy

Re: Vs. Wyoming

Post by RondaeShimmy »

TucsonClip wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:02 am Honestly, I cant begin to describe just how elated I am that this is the style of ball we are seeing in Tucson again. Not only are we getting up and down, forcing turnovers, getting out in transition and sharing the ball, but the game plans have been extremely versatile and opponent specific, which is not easy to do in college.

For example, we have gone from vanilla, albeit an entirely new defensive system (which I described in a post last month) the first few games, to swapping ball screen coverages mid half, to doubling off the passer, to trapping corners, even doubling the corner reversal pass to eliminate the hi-low against quality bigs. Oh yeah, pressing after made FTs and even some zone too.

I tried to give you all a sense of what the expected defensive rotations were under Miller, not because they were elementary in any way, but so we could all begin to pick up when adjustments are made mid game, or for specific opponents. While Lloyd definitely has a base defense, good luck trying to prepare for it, because you never know what tweaks you are going to see.

Impossible for me to tell you where these adjusted game plans derive from, but they sure look a lot like multiple NBA-style coverages and adjustments. Not going to put that all on Fois, but I dont think its any secret he took the reigns for the Michigan assignment. Thats likely a part of Murphy and Robinson, and obviously Lloyd too, but it is an interesting development I was keeping an eye on in evaluating Lloyd. Either way, its fun as hell to watch, and you would be hard pressed to find many teams capable of running so many different schemes at the college level. A lot of the credit goes to coaching via preparation and drilling assignments during the week.

Furthermore, its not just on defense. The continuity ball screen action has been shelved, for the time being, and in is a more traditional spread PNR. My speculation is that it allows some guys to play to their strengths in Zu and Benn, because they arent forced to make quick reads. Instead they can still attack off ball movement and more traditional catch and shoot/drive/pass from a standstill, or for Zu to see more space rolling off a high ball screen. You are also seeing cross court cutters when the defense shifts to defend Zu facing up in the mid post. Meanwhile, Benn has taken off since the switch, and Kerr continues to show that hes fully capable to run a spread PNR offense.

Yet again, it goes beyond that. Its the small details in calls from the bench or SLOB/BLOB play calls. We've seen a few times this season, Arizona set up a ball reversal, baseline step up screen against the zone, freeing up Benn for easy lobs. Another one, actually from tonight, we saw a BLOB pin down set early in the game to get Kerr his first three out of a deal ball. Its an easy, rhythm, set your feet, square and catch, shoot. Then, to start the second half, we went with a side pin down for Zu, who caught the pass and went right into a mid 4-5 PNR with Koloko. The creativity is there is leaps and bounds, and we arent even into January.

Finally, I will close with my favorite quote of the night from Don MacLean, "This year, you see Kriisa is a PG and was just playing out of position last year."

As Ralph Lawler would say every time a Clipper hit a three... "BINGO"
Excellent post

Arizona is very difficult to prepare for because of all the looks they show constantly.

For example...

Yesterday they sometimes doubled that Wyoming big and sometimes they didn't. That constantly created confusion for Wyoming.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:03 am

I know I beat a dead horse, but maybe Robbins and Heeke creating obstacles and dissension around Miller for years, hurting interest with a tourney ban, etc. weren't actually a great strategy for driving interest in the program?

They wanted Miller out but didn't have the guts to fire him while he was popular, so they hurt the overall popularity of the program to get him fired. He's now gone, but some of that damage doesn't get undone overnight.
Kind of like setting your restaurant on fire for the insurance money while people are sitting down inside eating and then blaming the the fact that people aren’t in a rush to come eat at your new spot on a few bad Yelp reviews.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

87-88
97-98
00-01
13-14

are all in the conversation for best Arizona team All-Time - love this team tho and enjoy watching them very, very much.