The 2022-2023 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

AzCatFan2

Re: The 2022-2023 Season Thread

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:58 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:40 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:18 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:03 am Latest draft projections all have Benn as a lottery pick. He's gone. This projection, from the NBA, has Koloko as the 1st pick in the 2nd round. (https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2022-nba-mock-draft/). If Koloko is at his peak draft position, then he's likely gone too, unless he wants to graduate. Maybe Koloko can work his way next year into a guaranteed first rounder? But maybe not, especially given he'll be 3 or 4 years older than many other guys in the draft. The more time goes by, it looks like Koloko entering the draft now is his best decision.

No mention of Terry anywhere I can find on mock draft boards. On his NBA draft profile, DT is listed as mid to late second round if he were to declare this year (https://nbadraftroom.com/dalen-terry/). But unlike Koloko, Terry absolutely can improve his draft stock with one more year. The biggest difference between DT and Benn is about 15 pounds of muscle. Benn already has a NBA body. DT still needs more if he is going to bang with the professionals. Benn also shot 38% from 3 this past year, and Terry 36%. Not much of a difference, but with Benn gone, there will be more shots available, and if Terry can hit 38% or better, and average 12 ppg, that makes Terry a potential lottery pick next year.
I don't see Dalen as a lottery guy ever. I'd tell him to model on Solomon Hill's skills and career path. If he has an NBA future, it's that role, for the same reasons I don't ever see him being lottery.

Benn has to go. Koloko should, not to dredge that argument up.
Both Solo and RHJ went in the 20s. But Iggy went 9th, and I see Dalen more like Igoudala than Hill or Hollis-Jefferson. Hill and RHJ don't have DT's length or quickness. And if DT can put on the muscle and look more like Iggy, who is listed at 6' 6" and 215, the interest in Terry will rise. Iggy only averaged 12.9 ppg his final year in Tucson, but his defense and length made him a lottery pick. Don't see Terry going top 10, but late lottery is a possibility if he adds more muscle, and 4-5 ppg while shooting close to 40% from the outside.

Agreed Koloko should go. The only thing that might hold him is a desire to get a degree. Which he can do on the road in the NBA just as easily as he can in Tucson.
What? RHJ had a 7'2 wingspan at the combine and was 2nd overall in the 3/4 court sprint and 3rd overall in the lane agility drill. RHJ had elite speed and agility numbers that I (and I know a lot of people disagree) don't see Dalen being close to.

I compare Dalen to Solo in major part because both are well rounded players who aren't outstanding athletes.
Disagree on RHJ's speed. It was above average at best. RHJ also was never a good shooter. I think he shot 20% from 3 for his career in Tucson? Solo, on the other hand, shot 39% his last two seasons at Arizona. Both guys, RHJ and Solo were drafted 23rd. If you could combine RHJ's defense, and Solo's offense, where do you think that player would land in the draft? That hypothetical guy is Iggy, who went 9th. And even Iggy didn't shoot above 32% from 3 at Arizona. But showed a big jump between his freshman and sophomore years.

I think Terry could be a similar player. But needs to get above 200 lbs. Will help him finish at the rim on O, and become an even better defender and rebounder. Terry already hit 36% from 3 last year, and I think he could match Benn's 38% next year.

By the way, Solo has carved out a 10-year NBA career. RHJ? Last I saw, playing in Europe.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

RHJ did have a 6 year stint in the league, more than most. Playing in Turkey now but has an out if he gets an NBA contract.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

RHJ one of my faves, Dalen is a better passer, much better shooter and can see the play develop and make good decisions. Think he will be in the league longer than RHJ. He really needed to develop a better shot made me sad to see him not make it longer.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:15 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:58 am What? RHJ had a 7'2 wingspan at the combine and was 2nd overall in the 3/4 court sprint and 3rd overall in the lane agility drill. RHJ had elite speed and agility numbers that I (and I know a lot of people disagree) don't see Dalen being close to.

I compare Dalen to Solo in major part because both are well rounded players who aren't outstanding athletes.
Disagree on RHJ's speed. It was above average at best. RHJ also was never a good shooter. I think he shot 20% from 3 for his career in Tucson? Solo, on the other hand, shot 39% his last two seasons at Arizona. Both guys, RHJ and Solo were drafted 23rd. If you could combine RHJ's defense, and Solo's offense, where do you think that player would land in the draft? That hypothetical guy is Iggy, who went 9th. And even Iggy didn't shoot above 32% from 3 at Arizona. But showed a big jump between his freshman and sophomore years.

I think Terry could be a similar player. But needs to get above 200 lbs. Will help him finish at the rim on O, and become an even better defender and rebounder. Terry already hit 36% from 3 last year, and I think he could match Benn's 38% next year.

By the way, Solo has carved out a 10-year NBA career. RHJ? Last I saw, playing in Europe.
On RHJ's speed, that's why I tried to lean on actual metrics instead of eye tests. I couldn't come up with metrics for DT, but if you know of them, I'd be open to them.

RHJ was the second fastest guy in the entire 2015 NBA combine. Combine that with 3rd fastest in lane agility, he had the most impressive speed/agility combo of any player in the 2015 class by numbers.

I only have eyes to rely on for Dalen, and I'm thinking I see him differently than some here, but I think his straight line speed would grade average at the combine and maybe a bit above average in lateral drills. Not the top tier like RHJ.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RHJ was absurdly quick and long - truly elite body and athleticism. The guy had an NBA career based primarily on those attributes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:35 pm RHJ was absurdly quick and long - truly elite body and athleticism. The guy had an NBA career based primarily on those attributes.
We're in the same camp on Koloko and RHJ's career is applicable to why I'd tell Koloko to leave. Like RHJ, Koloko has elite attributes that a team will invest in to see if he can address his weaknesses over time.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:26 am
YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:35 pm RHJ was absurdly quick and long - truly elite body and athleticism. The guy had an NBA career based primarily on those attributes.
We're in the same camp on Koloko and RHJ's career is applicable to why I'd tell Koloko to leave. Like RHJ, Koloko has elite attributes that a team will invest in to see if he can address his weaknesses over time.
I suppose a factor in this might be to what extent CLo can earn via NIL - I have no idea about this, but what is possible for him via this route that would enable him to stay and develop for a higher position in next year's draft?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm happy to cover CLo's bus pass and Chipotle next year, if that gets him back for one more season.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

What are possible NIL incomes for U of A stars???
Could NIL deals keep borderline NBA draft prospects in school?

Eric Prisbell•7 days

For more than a quarter-century, talented college basketball players have been forgoing their eligibility and electing to enter the NBA draft early – and there’s basically nothing anybody could do to sway them to remain on campus another season.

But a new variable enters the equation this spring, one that is expected to weigh heavily in the decisions of borderline NBA prospects. While fringe prospects may have one foot out the door, some ambitious donor-led collectives are poised to keep them in school with potential NIL deals totaling $500,000 per year, industry sources say.

The price tag to keep a borderline second-round draft prospect in school another year could start at a half-million dollars. Expect some players to seriously consider sticking around another year because of this NIL potential.

“Only because of collectives,” Blake Lawrence, the CEO and co-founder of Opendorse, told On3.

Fringe prospects aren’t going to stay in school because they’re getting a bunch of dollars from substantial jersey sales or big-brand deals because those types of deals won’t be available to them.

“They would stay in school because they might get a half-million dollars over the next 12 months to stay and be a part of some appearances in the local community,” Lawrence said.

“Those are real numbers. I’m being very open with you: If you’re borderline, staying in school could be a half-million-dollar payday.”

The NIL dollars that school-specific collectives, which pool funds from boosters and businesses to create NIL activities for athletes, can offer players won’t affect the NBA draft decisions of expected lottery picks such as Auburn’s Jabari Smith, Duke’s Paolo Banchero, Gonzaga’s Chet Holmgren and Memphis’ Jalen Duren. And it’s unclear which collectives are planning to target which players for deals.

But for some players – Gonzaga’s Julian Strawther, Auburn’s Walker Kessler, Tennessee’s Santiago Vescovi (testing waters) and South Dakota State’s Baylor Scheierman (testing waters), to name a few – the decision to stay or go may not be clear-cut. Speaking in general about the topic, Mit Winter, a Kansas City-based sports attorney, said there likely will be some players who either don’t declare for the draft or who withdraw their name from it because of NIL deals offered by collectives.

“There is talk in the NIL [and] college athletics world about collectives specifically crafting deals to keep certain players in school,” Winter told On3. “I think some players that are borderline draft prospects will decide to take that guaranteed money instead of taking their chances with the draft. This will add another area of intrigue around the draft’s withdrawal deadline.”
Should players accept these NIL deals?

Just because some players could accept the collective deals, Winter noted, ignores the question of whether they should. Deals designed to keep a player at a specific school violate the NCAA’s NIL rules as well as some state NIL laws and school policies. A player who signs a deal like this to remain in school, he said, is rolling the dice on later being declared ineligible by his school or the NCAA. That could, in theory, hurt the player’s draft stock if he’s not eligible to play another college season.

There remains great uncertainty surrounding how, if at all, schools and the NCAA will handle these types of deals being offered by collectives. But Winter added, “I wouldn’t want to be the player who becomes the test case for whether they are deemed inducements.”

Peter Schoenthal, CEO of Athliance, expects NIL to have a discernible impact on college basketball, which he said for so long had been decimated by the one-and-done era. He said you’re going to see athletes realize, “ ‘Wait a minute, instead of going pro and playing overseas, or going pro and maybe not even getting drafted, why don’t I come back for another year, develop my game and I can make some NIL money, and I can become a better player.’ You’re still going to have elite players [turn pro], but maybe with NIL we’ll see more players come back, which means the game will be better, we’ll have a better product and it could save college basketball.”

A few borderline prospects returning to school for NIL dollars is unlikely to have a consequential effect on the broad state of the game, which remains hugely popular in March but has lost much of the mainstream appeal it once held throughout each winter. Mike Aresco, the AAC commissioner who while at CBS Sports played an integral role in the CBS Sports-Turner partnership more than a decade ago, said college basketball ratings began to dip around 2000 largely because of stars skipping college altogether, yet viewership numbers have since stabilized.
Lure of NBA is so strong

But educated opinions even differ on whether NIL potential will sway any fringe prospects, many of whom have had their sights set on a pro career since they began crisscrossing the country as teens on the shoe company-sponsored AAU circuit.

Mike Tranghese, the former longtime Big East commissioner, said he doesn’t think NIL will have any effect on keeping more players in school for another year. To underscore his point, he referenced the latest LeBron James commercial, which depicts a teenage James – one of the most celebrated high school prospects in history – talking to the 37-year-old, 2022 James about playing in the NBA.

“Kids grow up and they want to play in the league – that’s what kids want,” Tranghese told On3. “The only problem is too many kids aren’t good enough to play in the league, and they leave early and then have to deal with the reality of not making it.”

Players leaving college early – 356 declared as early entrants last year, with 217 keeping their names in the draft – have long wreaked havoc with the continuity of programs. Billy Packer, the longtime CBS analyst, marveled at even more striking changes impacting college basketball in recent years, telling On3, “I admire the coaches that have been able to go through everything from the way it used to be building a team to the one-and-done era to now the transfer portal and Name, Image and Likeness. It is just not a healthy situation. But that’s where it is, so don’t bitch about it. If you think you’re going to coach, you’d better understand this is the way it is, and that is how you’re going to have to build a program.”

But now, with donor-driven collectives flexing their financial muscle, some schools at least have a chance to keep borderline NBA prospects in school another year.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Paging Jim Click....
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:05 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:26 am
I suppose a factor in this might be to what extent CLo can earn via NIL - I have no idea about this, but what is possible for him via this route that would enable him to stay and develop for a higher position in next year's draft?
I wouldn't think NIL moves the needle. From prior posts, it's very unlikely he moves up beyond low 1st for the reasons YDF and I cited.

Second aspect, I'd be shocked if Koloko is not a top 40 lock. I posted a bit back that every top 40 pick in last year's draft got 2 guaranteed years at ~1.5 million plus per year and that the average was comparable to late 1sts.

So first, I don't think NIL meaningfully affects Koloko's consideration when you have 1.5+ million as a virtual lock if he leaves. Further, if I'm advising him, I'd tell him the chances he gains significant draft stock are outweighed by losing a year of pro earnings.

This is all just a financial and stock analysis. As I've said before, the biggest reason Koloko might return isn't logical, it would be because he wants to.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:25 am The price tag to keep a borderline second-round draft prospect in school another year could start at a half-million dollars. Expect some players to seriously consider sticking around another year because of this NIL potential.

“Only because of collectives,” Blake Lawrence, the CEO and co-founder of Opendorse, told On3.

Fringe prospects aren’t going to stay in school because they’re getting a bunch of dollars from substantial jersey sales or big-brand deals because those types of deals won’t be available to them.

“They would stay in school because they might get a half-million dollars over the next 12 months to stay and be a part of some appearances in the local community,” Lawrence said.
To me, this says it all. The NIL question pertains to Dalen Terry, not Mathurin or Koloko. Mathurin and Koloko ain't borderline second rounders.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:26 am We're in the same camp on Koloko and RHJ's career is applicable to why I'd tell Koloko to leave. Like RHJ, Koloko has elite attributes that a team will invest in to see if he can address his weaknesses over time.
The problem here is the supposition that Koloko could meaningfully improve his draft stock by returning.

I'll reiterate two things: 1) Koloko has areas to improve that would make him more valuable to an NBA team. 2) Koloko would be the oldest 7-footer drafted in the first round in 10 years if drafted THIS year.

I contend (and Spiff has said the same) that #2 is more meaningful than #1, given that the things Koloko is bad at (weak lower body, limited offensive game) can be improved in the NBA while Koloko still enjoys a meaningful role due to his elite skill set as a defender and roll man / finisher.

If Koloko came back, he'd attempt to be the oldest center drafted in the first round in over 20 years.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Givony's mock draft today had Koloko at #36 and Dalen at #43.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:52 am Givony's mock draft today had Koloko at #36 and Dalen at #43.
I've mentally accepted Koloko leaving, but Terry going pro would be crushing. We need him next year to have a chance at being a top 10-15 level team.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:25 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:26 am We're in the same camp on Koloko and RHJ's career is applicable to why I'd tell Koloko to leave. Like RHJ, Koloko has elite attributes that a team will invest in to see if he can address his weaknesses over time.
The problem here is the supposition that Koloko could meaningfully improve his draft stock by returning.

I'll reiterate two things: 1) Koloko has areas to improve that would make him more valuable to an NBA team. 2) Koloko would be the oldest 7-footer drafted in the first round in 10 years if drafted THIS year.

I contend (and Spiff has said the same) that #2 is more meaningful than #1, given that the things Koloko is bad at (weak lower body, limited offensive game) can be improved in the NBA while Koloko still enjoys a meaningful role due to his elite skill set as a defender and roll man / finisher.

If Koloko came back, he'd attempt to be the oldest center drafted in the first round in over 20 years.
Wouldn't his geriatric status make sense with how late in life he came to the sport? Wouldn't the NBA know that along with his steep trajectory coming to college as a 3-star prospect in 2019-20? If so, wouldn't that put a little more weight on #1 with respect to how his elderly decrepitude compares with the younger 7-footers since the Year 2000? In the Year Two Thousand.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:52 am Givony's mock draft today had Koloko at #36 and Dalen at #43.
FWIW: 36th pick got a 3yr, $4.3m deal last year, with a 2yr $2.5m guarantee
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:01 am
YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:25 am

Wouldn't his geriatric status make sense with how late in life he came to the sport? Wouldn't the NBA know that along with his steep trajectory coming to college as a 3-star prospect in 2019-20? If so, wouldn't that put a little more weight on #1 with respect to how his elderly decrepitude compares with the younger 7-footers since the Year 2000? In the Year Two Thousand.
To me it argues for the opposite. Yes, the NBA will know he's late to the sport. Which is why he'll get drafted between 20-40, get a 2 year guaranteed multimillion dollar deal and time to develop.

No NBA team thinks they're drafting a finished product in the 20-40 range. If people were finished products, they're either capped out too low to be drafted or you're taking them in the first 20 picks. Another year isn't going to make Koloko a finished product, at best, it will just move him closer to being one.

I've posted this whining before, but I think this board misses that the NBA thinks they can develop a guy better than college can.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:09 am
FWIW: 36th pick got a 3yr, $4.3m deal last year, with a 2yr $2.5m guarantee
Woooo a 2 year guarantee you say! Talk about long term! Any team will fucking chew Koloko up and spit him out unless he develops an offensive game immediately.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Let me tell you nothing makes me happier than a message board full of Arizona fans telling guys with two years left of eligibility to leave for the NBA for basically a 2 year $2.5 million contract to be a G leaguer. You guys make me proud to be a fan lol.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

The quicker we move away from the twin towers system the better.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:43 am Let me tell you nothing makes me happier than a message board full of Arizona fans telling guys with two years left of eligibility to leave for the NBA for basically a 2 year $2.5 million contract to be a G leaguer. You guys make me proud to be a fan lol.
I view being a fan as supporting players in what's right for them. I'm not the kind of Arizona fan to root for a player to do something that helps Arizona and hurts his future.

NIL changed this to a slight extent, but these are kids lives we talk about. I'd rather Koloko go make generational wealth for his family and give Arizona an NBA success story than milk a year out of him for my personal desire to see Arizona win.

To your point in your response to YDF about a 2 year guarantee being insufficient for a team to invest in Koloko any further, how is that an argument not to go?

If he can't show enough in the next two years of a guaranteed 1.5 mil deal, he's going to show enough next year at Arizona? It's almost literally the argument YDF and I are making about the potential downside of him returning, that his rate of improvement will drop off enough the NBA will no longer give him guaranteed money.

If he goes now, he gets two guaranteed years to further improve. If he returns and revolutionizes his game enough to buck a 20 year trend, he could get 2-3 more mil guaranteed. If he improves, but not so shockingly that he turns into the first lottery pick at his profile and age in 20 years, he gets basically the same deal with one fewer year of professional money in his career. If he stagnates or just improves a bit, he might never see an NBA dime.

It's a simple decision for me, and I'd rather see Koloko winning at life.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:56 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:43 am Let me tell you nothing makes me happier than a message board full of Arizona fans telling guys with two years left of eligibility to leave for the NBA for basically a 2 year $2.5 million contract to be a G leaguer. You guys make me proud to be a fan lol.
I view being a fan as supporting players in what's right for them. I'm not the kind of Arizona fan to root for a player to do something that helps Arizona and hurts his future.

NIL changed this to a slight extent, but these are kids lives we talk about. I'd rather Koloko go make generational wealth for his family and give Arizona an NBA success story than milk a year out of him for my personal desire to see Arizona win.

To your point in your response to YDF about a 2 year guarantee being insufficient for a team to invest in Koloko any further, how is that an argument not to go?

If he can't show enough in the next two years of a guaranteed 1.5 mil deal, he's going to show enough next year at Arizona? It's almost literally the argument YDF and I are making about the potential downside of him returning, that his rate of improvement will drop off enough the NBA will no longer give him guaranteed money.

If he goes now, he gets two guaranteed years to further improve. If he returns and revolutionizes his game enough to buck a 20 year trend, he could get 2-3 more mil guaranteed. If he improves, but not so shockingly that he turns into the first lottery pick at his profile and age in 20 years, he gets basically the same deal with one fewer year of professional money in his career. If he stagnates or just improves a bit, he might never see an NBA dime.

I know, but still fuck off lol.

If Udoka what's his nuts from KU can go 1st round as a 21 year old senior just a couple of years ago, then I believe Koloko even at 22, with just a hint of an added perimeter shot can go even higher than him due to the athleticism and what he's already great at.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:04 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:56 am

I know, but still fuck off lol.

If Udoka what's his nuts from KU can go 1st round as a 21 year old senior just a couple of years ago, then I believe Koloko even at 22, with just a hint of an added perimeter shot can go even higher than him due to the athleticism and what he's already great at.

Azubuike is a pretty good comparison. He went 27th. That's basically why I think Koloko needs to go. Even if he does better than Azubuike, he's still basically 20-40 range this year or next and there isn't any large significant difference in the amount of money or time an NBA team will invest in him.

Or if it goes poorly for him, he could lose a lot of $.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:47 pm
I played SJSU back in the WAC days. Judging by their crowd size then, I figure this is basically first to 5 votes wins.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -25-and-1/

There's no way those overrated f*cks are going to return their entire lineup two years straight, right? Like, that's something that doesn't happen in the sport anymore, right? Is the player development really *that* bad under micro-mick that their guys have no other options? Definitely looks that way for the the Clanger.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Is CLo a “foreign player” like Krissa or is he a legal permanent resident?

Edit. The reason I ask is, is he eligible for NIL deals.
Last edited by Postmaster on Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Jefe wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:29 pm
So, as I understand it, college players have until April 24th to declare for the draft, or withdraw their name. Is that correct??

If so, the last week of April should be totally bonkers!!!

If they can wait until after may 1st, then some decisions are really gonna be tough!!

― Kinky Friedman
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Correct, going to be a very interesting month
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:47 pm
So are we all gonna vote for the horrible microchip floor? :)
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:09 pm
So are we all gonna vote for the horrible microchip floor? :)
Done :D
-JB
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I voted for the Tron floor.
But #2 is ahead by a lot.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:00 pm I voted for the Tron floor.
But #2 is ahead by a lot.
That is the Tron floor. It's a different order when you vote.
-JB
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Oh my gosh, are they really gonna get trolled into the microchip???

There were thousands of votes, wonder howany are really fans?

Twitter is a horrible place.
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:55 am Oh my gosh, are they really gonna get trolled into the microchip???

On Twitter you could literally go in and change a rival's court design to feature the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him) eating a big ol' bowl of Super Colon Blow.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Without Twitter we wouldn’t have Boaty McBoatface, and then where would we be?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:55 am Oh my gosh, are they really gonna get trolled into the microchip???

I just voted for it. Seriously, SJSU has had 2 winning seasons in the last 30 years and those were only 17-16 and 15-12 seasons.

It's better to be known for a crazy-ass court than for being arguably the most desolate CBB program in existence. They have only posted double figure wins once in the last 10 years and that was a 14-16 season.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I mean, we're not #1 heading into next season, not with what other teams are gaining/retaining. So while it's nice of Andy to give us the props, I think our preseason ceiling is somewhere between 5 and 10, and that's *with* CK returning, which isn't likely.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:47 pm I mean, we're not #1 heading into next season, not with what other teams are gaining/retaining. So while it's nice of Andy to give us the props, I think our preseason ceiling is somewhere between 5 and 10, and that's *with* CK returning, which isn't likely.
If CK is back, and we add a high level wing in the portal like I expect us to (along with Kylan reclassing), we should absolutely be in contention for #1.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:47 pm I mean, we're not #1 heading into next season, not with what other teams are gaining/retaining. So while it's nice of Andy to give us the props, I think our preseason ceiling is somewhere between 5 and 10, and that's *with* CK returning, which isn't likely.
Yeah, I mean, I'm an Arizona fan and #1 is loony.

Duke and Arkansas are adding ridiculous recruiting classes while we've lost at minimum our best player and Kier without really bringing anyone in yet to replace them. It's not like Pelle can't step up, but asking Bal to be a PG is a big ask, so we have at least a hole there.

To have us top 5 only losing Benn and Kier presumes a few solid adds, IMO, and even then, I don't see #1. Lose Koloko or Terry too and that's a team that needs solid adds to be pushing top ten.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

goslingswagg wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:13 pm
If CK is back, and we add a high level wing in the portal like I expect us to (along with Kylan reclassing), we should absolutely be in contention for #1.
No clue if Boswell reclassifies, but I wouldn't count on Koloko returning.

Even then, Duke returns an experienced starting backcourt and adds 3 of the top 5 players in this recruiting class up front. Arky is loaded too.

I don't see us as a legit contender there. I think we have more of a shot of a tourney run then we do being #1.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:18 pm
Yeah, I mean, I'm an Arizona fan and #1 is loony.

Duke and Arkansas are adding ridiculous recruiting classes while we've lost at minimum our best player and Kier without really bringing anyone in yet to replace them. It's not like Pelle can't step up, but asking Bal to be a PG is a big ask, so we have at least a hole there.

To have us top 5 only losing Benn and Kier presumes a few solid adds, IMO, and even then, I don't see #1. Lose Koloko or Terry too and that's a team that needs solid adds to be pushing top ten.
I do have confidence that Tommy's going to get some of those "solid adds." He should *not* have trouble convincing guys to come to AZ right now, not with the season we just had and not with the playing time he can offer with Benn leaving. Yes, Pelle and Ballo and Bal are going to have their minutes increase, but we need help in the backcourt. And in the frontcourt too, if CK leaves.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

84Cat wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:00 pm
Way-too-early Power 36 rankings
1. Arizona
I mentioned to coach Tommy Lloyd that I was likely going to put the Wildcats No. 1. He didn’t have a problem with it at all. The reason? The anticipation is that Arizona may only lose Benedict Mathurin of its key players. So, if four are back — including Christian Koloko to go along with Kerr Kriisa, Dalen Terry and Azoulas Tubelis — then Arizona should be the top pick. The bench will be strong with Pelle Larsson, Oumar Ballo and Adama Bal even more comfortable under the AP national coach of the year.

Sounds like Lloyd expects Koloko to return. I'll take that source over any message board poster any day of the week,.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

goslingswagg wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:13 pm If CK is back
I would bet there is 20% chance that he returns, perhaps less. Like has been noted above, the top 40 picks are getting guaranteed contracts in the millions.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Merkin wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:09 pm
I would bet there is 20% chance that he returns, perhaps less. Like has been noted above, the top 40 picks are getting guaranteed contracts in the millions.
not saying he's a lock, but Katz reporting that we expect him back next year is likely the best intel we've received to date on his potential return
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:23 pm
goslingswagg wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:13 pm
No clue if Boswell reclassifies, but I wouldn't count on Koloko returning.

Even then, Duke returns an experienced starting backcourt and adds 3 of the top 5 players in this recruiting class up front. Arky is loaded too.

I don't see us as a legit contender there. I think we have more of a shot of a tourney run then we do being #1.
Yeah, not saying CK is a lock but if he does return, as Katz seems to think is likely, we absolutely have a legit case for #1. We were one of the 2 best teams in the country all year, and we return 4 of 5 starters. Tommy is a fantastic developer, I expect the returners to all make decent jumps next year. Every year there's teams with 2 or 3 five star freshmen on them, and every year underperform - not to say Duke and Arkansas won't be extremely talented, but it will take them time to gel, and freshmen-heavy teams haven't been overly successful come tourney time in the recent past.

To replace the two rotational pieces we would lose in this scenario - I would assume we either i) sign a grad transfer to fill the backup PG role; or ii) have Boswell reclass - either way, I don't expect any sort of drop off from the Kier backup PG role next year.

The key will be getting one more solid wing contributor - doesn't need to be a one-for-one replacement of Mathurin (not going to be able to find that), just needs to be a solid rotational guy, which feels doable & likely. Improvement from 6 of the 8 returning rotational pieces & Bal, plus Boswell/GT & a transfer wing, and that is a team that can/should be just as good as this past year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

goslingswagg wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:20 pm
Merkin wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:09 pm
not saying he's a lock, but Katz reporting that we expect him back next year is likely the best intel we've received to date on his potential return

That would be fantastic! Hopefully we hear some official word soon. Lloyd is a magician!