Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RondaeShimmy

Tommy Lloyd

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Seems like he's likely going to be the guy Robbins picks.

Every article I've read on him basically says the same thing, he basically has been running the program at Gonzaga for a while now. At worst 50/50 with Few.

Has a ton of experience with international recruits.

How do you feel possibly hiring a guy with no actual head coaching experience?
azcat49

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by azcat49 »

When you are Bobby you pride yourself in finding talent that is hidden and undiscovered.

After he does that he sits behind his desk and whacks it to the sim
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Just because he’s Robbins pick, doesn’t mean he accepts.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:36 pm How do you feel possibly hiring a guy with no actual head coaching experience?
We fired a coach with a .730 win %, 5 Pac titles, 4 Elite Eights and a projected top 15 team in 2021 to hire a guy who literally has zeros in every category and has never worked at a P5 institution.

If I put those blind resumes next to each other and asked who you'd want as a HC, you'd think I was joking. There are no indicators that Miller or Lloyd literally or figuratively are in the same league.

Look, maybe Lloyd is better than that suggests, and maybe he'll suprise. But it's like saying maybe Jedd Fisch will be better than Kyle Whittingham (I use that example as another Robbins special). Hell, anything's possible, but in the world of actual results, it isn't close.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I wonder if there was any chance if Gonzaga had won Few would have retired and ridden off into the sunset to fly fish, and giving Lloyd the job.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I'm in on Lloyd. No, I can't guarantee anything about him. However, from the little I've heard and what I've read, plus watching the Zags and understanding how much he, allegedly, means to the program, he has to be the guy.

Not sure it works out or not, but I think we could do much worse... Like Seth Greenberg and Tim Floyd wor... Sorry, forgot what decade this was.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:36 pm How do you feel possibly hiring a guy with no actual head coaching experience?
Sick to my stomach.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I can't wait until everyone pretends Lloyd is their guy.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BibbysTowelDude wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:00 pm I can't wait until everyone pretends Lloyd is their guy.
Please don’t hold your breath. I don’t want anyone’s life in my hands.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

I swear his name popped up on this site when talking about possible replacements in the last couple of years, but I guess it was on premium on TOS.

I feel like it's more of shock this guy is being considered at all if you never heard of the guy before today.

To me, when I read he could possibly be the guy, I was mildly excited about it because I had read how he was basically running Gonzaga and the head coach in waiting.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

As I stated earlier he has recruited and taught some fine foreign basketball players. When Sean Miller decided to recruit foreign players he capture what was considered the best group of any school in the country. What else you got would be my first question.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BibbysTowelDude wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:00 pm I can't wait until everyone pretends Lloyd is their guy.
Don't worry about me.

Until Robbins and Heeke are gone, I'm done with support of Arizona Athletics.
BibbysTowelDude

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:26 pm
Don't worry about me.

Until Robbins and Heeke are gone, I'm done with support of Arizona Athletics.
Right there with you Spliff.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone else see that Lloyd just finished building a new house in Spokane a few years back?

I’m gonna be very surprised if anyone can pry him away from Gonzaga.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah not sure why anyone thinks he'd even leave Gonzaga.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:38 pm Anyone else see that Lloyd just finished building a new house in Spokane a few years back?

It was only a year or so ago. He used the same builder as me.
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
ralmom22

Post by ralmom22 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:49 pm
We fired a coach with a .730 win %, 5 Pac titles, 4 Elite Eights and a projected top 15 team in 2021 to hire a guy who literally has zeros in every category and has never worked at a P5 institution.

If I put those blind resumes next to each other and asked who you'd want as a HC, you'd think I was joking. There are no indicators that Miller or Lloyd literally or figuratively are in the same league.

Look, maybe Lloyd is better than that suggests, and maybe he'll suprise. But it's like saying maybe Jedd Fisch will be better than Kyle Whittingham (I use that example as another Robbins special). Hell, anything's possible, but in the world of actual results, it isn't close.

I’m glad you are still here Spaceman Spiff- always enjoy your posts and insight.
Basketcats

Post by Basketcats »

Chicat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:56 pm
Sick to my stomach.
Like my head is going to explode with rage because the governing body continues to display a lack of understanding that change is good...when it is called for. In this case it was far from necessary and now they are alienating the majority of the fan base. F Robbins and his monkey Heeke.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Someone in the Facebook group mentioned Lloyd's connection with an Arizona booster. Any info on this?
ekat

Post by ekat »

Every time I read Tommy Lloyd my brain says/hears Tim Floyd. I’m not sure I can get over that.
ekat

Post by ekat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:51 pm Someone in the Facebook group mentioned Lloyd's connection with an Arizona booster. Any info on this?
The Stevens’ family has given a ton of money to Gonzaga, not Lloyd specifically. I think one of their kids went there.
Sidewinder

Post by Sidewinder »

"UA donor Stevens has Gonzaga connection
Television cameras at Friday’s Gonzaga-North Dakota State game several times captured Jeff Stevens cheering from the front row behind the Zags’ bench, wearing Gonzaga gear. It’s the same Jeff Stevens, UA grad, who is the greatest benefactor in UA athletic department history, and half of the namesake of the Lowell-Stevens Football Facility. He was at the UA-Texas Southern game on Thursday in Portland and at the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas. Stevens’ son, Colin, was a manager for Mark Few’s Bulldogs before graduating in 2013. A year ago, the Stevens family made a significant financial contribution to Gonzaga that enabled the school to build a 72,000-square foot indoor tennis and golf facility. "
"Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ralmom22 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:50 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:49 pm

I’m glad you are still here Spaceman Spiff- always enjoy your posts and insight.
Thank you. I've been upset a lot of the day, but hopeful everyone understands it's about Robbins and Heeke, not the people who post here.

As much as I say I'm done with Arizona Athletics until Robbins and Heeke are gone, never a reason to disrespect or fight people here and I am likely to keep posting to some extent even if it get uninformed as all heck because I no longer watch game. Peace to you all.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Sidewinder wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:06 pm "UA donor Stevens has Gonzaga connection
Television cameras at Friday’s Gonzaga-North Dakota State game several times captured Jeff Stevens cheering from the front row behind the Zags’ bench, wearing Gonzaga gear. It’s the same Jeff Stevens, UA grad, who is the greatest benefactor in UA athletic department history, and half of the namesake of the Lowell-Stevens Football Facility. He was at the UA-Texas Southern game on Thursday in Portland and at the Pac-12 tournament in Las Vegas. Stevens’ son, Colin, was a manager for Mark Few’s Bulldogs before graduating in 2013. A year ago, the Stevens family made a significant financial contribution to Gonzaga that enabled the school to build a 72,000-square foot indoor tennis and golf facility. "
Hmmm.

What's the relationship like between Stevens and the Davis'?

Anyone with any insight on that?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:44 pm Yeah not sure why anyone thinks he'd even leave Gonzaga.
It’s either take a big time job now or wait another decade plus to take over Gonzaga. He also has a child going to school in Phoenix. So it’s really now or wait longer for him.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:47 pm
ASUHATER! wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:44 pm Yeah not sure why anyone thinks he'd even leave Gonzaga.
It’s either take a big time job now or wait another decade plus to take over Gonzaga.
He can take the AZ job now and take that job over in a decade (when it comes available) if he still wants it.
Last edited by SCCats on Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:48 pm
It’s either take a big time job now or wait another decade plus to take over Gonzaga.
And he can take that job over in a decade if he still wants it.
If he’s successful at Arizona he’s not going to leave that for Gonzaga. If he’s leaving for Arizona it’s to stay at Arizona until Arizona tells him to leave.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Heard he ain’t so squeaky clean either...just sayin
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It’s either take a big time job now or wait another decade plus to take over Gonzaga. He also has a child going to school in Phoenix. So it’s really now or wait longer for him.
It's quite the vote of confidence that this will be his one and only shot at a big time job in the next 10+ years. That's the mark of a can't miss coach, one that no other big time school will be interested in.

Sarcasm is not directed at you. I think you're right, it just underlines how ridiculous this is, that he has no chance of getting a sniff from another major program.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:50 pm Heard he ain’t so squeaky clean either...just sayin
If that’s your concern then no coach is qualified for the job. Btw quit following @CoachingChanges lol.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:49 pm
If he’s successful at Arizona he’s not going to leave that for Gonzaga. If he’s leaving for Arizona it’s to stay at Arizona until Arizona tells him to leave.
Right, probably not. Point remains; if he comes to AZ and is still here ten years from now, he can probably pretty easily get that Zags gig when it does eventually open. If he wants it. Which, ten years from now, he probably won't.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:38 pm Anyone else see that Lloyd just finished building a new house in Spokane a few years back?

I can think of a few million reasons why someone would leave Spokane for Tucson.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:51 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:50 pm Heard he ain’t so squeaky clean either...just sayin
If that’s your concern then no coach is qualified for the job. Btw quit following @CoachingChanges lol.
Ha. I don’t follow that account but I did see that tweet. Have a buddy who’s a huge zags insider and we’ve talked.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:50 pm
It's quite the vote of confidence that this will be his one and only shot at a big time job in the next 10+ years. That's the mark of a can't miss coach, one that no other big time school will be interested in.

Sarcasm is not directed at you. I think you're right, it just underlines how ridiculous this is, that he has no chance of getting a sniff from another major program.
I guess theoretically he could say if UCLA bungles down again or maybe Oregon and Altman split. Depends solely on the market, but it’d have to be a west coast school. Dude is nowhere near as bad as you’re making him out to be. I get it your hurt right now Spiff lol.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Choo - do you have a good idea on the odds between Lloyd vs Damon? 70/30? 50/50?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:52 pm
Ha. I don’t follow that account but I did see that tweet. Have a buddy who’s a huge zags insider and we’ve talked.
I got an insider buddy too and he’s sold me on him.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:53 pm
Choo - do you have a good idea on the odds between Lloyd vs Damon? 70/30? 50/50?
With the caveat that time kills all deals I’d say Lloyd 85/15 to Damon.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

A couple of things. One, who cares if Robbins wants Lloyd, that doesn't mean it is automatically a bad hire. Lloyd has been Few's main assistant, which is not insignificant. Gonzaga has become a premier program. For all the assistants that haven't succeeded, there are also assistants that have, such as Roy Williams who got the Kansas job after being an assistant under Dean Smith. Lloyd could became a good hire for a major program. Two, it isn't automatic he stays at Gonzaga just to wait it out in hopes of taking over from Few a decade down the road. If a job with the prestige of Arizona opens up, one suspects he will listen to the opportunity. It doesn't mean he will want it, but long term, Arizona is a very good job, arguably better than Gonzaga. Whether he is the right candidate for Arizona is unknown, but it is way too premature to dismiss his candidacy.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:54 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:52 pm
I got an insider buddy too and he’s sold me on him.
He told me it’s a huge loss for Gonzaga and we will love what he brings. Especially in recruiting—Miller was stealing his model, etc.

He also said that he was key to everything going up for the zags the last few years
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I was also told it was a matter of financials, which has me concerned—for any coach really.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Agreed. If Arizona becomes a preeminent program once again and is competing for national championships, he won't leave for Gonzaga because when Arizona is at its best, it is arguably a better program.
BibbysTowelDude

If Tommy Lloyd isn't willing to pay players he won't be a head coach at this level in 5 years.

I mean turn the other cheek while one of his assistants isn't hopefully robbing people.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:57 pm I was also told it was a matter of financials, which has me concerned—for any coach really.
True. His salary shouldn’t be a problem, but it’s the other stuff I could see getting in the way. I don’t know enough about the finance situation and what he’s demanding to say if it’d be a problem by the weekend (which is when this should get done regardless).
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

If Lloyd is the guy and ultimately ends up successful, it still doesn't justify the handling of this by Robbins & Heeke.

In a way, this is somewhat reminiscent of the Tomey firing. An AD who didn't have a backbone got pressured into firing the most successful coach ever at Arizona. It was only then that they decided to invest money into facilities -- after Tomey was gone. While he was here and doing more with less -- the argument was that Arizona didn't need upgrades because Tomey was doing fine without them.

Now even the fucking tennis and women's volleyball have state of the art facilities -- facilities that our basketball and football program would've killed to have back in the 90's.

What a fucked up system. And guys like Heeke are paid a three quarters of a million dollars when real men before them accomplished so much more.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:49 pm We fired a coach with a .730 win %, 5 Pac titles, 4 Elite Eights and a projected top 15 team in 2021...
That is an impressive resume, but that isn't why he was fired. The FBI/NCAA investigations, the allegiance to Book Richardson, and the stink over the program over the past couple of years is why he was fired.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

midnightx wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:59 pm
Agreed. If Arizona becomes a preeminent program once again and is competing for national championships, he won't leave for Gonzaga because when Arizona is at its best, it is arguably a better program.
When Arizona is at its best -- Arizona IS a better program. No further discussion needed.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:53 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:50 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:47 pm It’s either take a big time job now or wait another decade plus to take over Gonzaga. He also has a child going to school in Phoenix. So it’s really now or wait longer for him.

I guess theoretically he could say if UCLA bungles down again or maybe Oregon and Altman split. Depends solely on the market, but it’d have to be a west coast school. Dude is nowhere near as bad as you’re making him out to be. I get it your hurt right now Spiff lol.
I'm not really mad at this point. I'm pretty disgusted with the way Robbins and Heeke handled this, as I think they screwed Miller and honestly, more offensively, the players.

I may be wrong, but when apply what basketball knowledge I have, Miller's a good high major coach. I'm pretty confident he's have been in the top 15 next year and Robbins fired him now because if we were top 15, he couldn't fire him then.

I can't say I know much about Lloyd, but I'm less than impressed with the fact the transition he's be asked to make hasn't been successful in 32 years.

How many good ideas are borne out of the basis that it worked one time, 32 years ago?

UCLA was open 2 years ago and Lloyd didn't get a sniff. Depends on what you think is a good West Coast school, but SC before that and he didn't get a sniff. UW, not in the running. I mean, maybe Robbins sees something others don't but I see a guy who has not had a market and a transition no one's made in 32 years.

Decisions are usually odds. I can't sell myself the odds are anything close to decent here.
ekat

Post by ekat »

midnightx wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:02 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:49 pm We fired a coach with a .730 win %, 5 Pac titles, 4 Elite Eights and a projected top 15 team in 2021...
That is an impressive resume, but that isn't why he was fired. The FBI/NCAA investigations, the allegiance to Book Richardson, and the stink over the program over the past couple of years is why he was fired.
If that’s true, they had ample opportunity to do it any time in the last 3.5 years instead of waiting a month after the season ended leaving them all hanging, and blowing up a top 15 team.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Then he should've been fired three years ago when this became an issue -- not now. Not after wading through the stink and somehow finally turning things around. That's why it's complete bullshit.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Well then Robbins and Heeke are dumb as bricks to conclude an internal investigation in 2018 and fire him in 2021.

I don't buy any of that because if it was the FBI, well, remember February, 2018? ESPN broke their Ayton story and multiple analysts wanted Miller gone.

You mean to tell me Robbkns and Heeke stuck that out, then got randomly offended 3 years later. Bull, s**t.