Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

AzCatFan2

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Lloyd seems to get what Arizona Basketball is about. I hope he's successful. Robbins and Heeke are idiots.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

He should have said I hope they stay and show the country what Coach Miller had put together and honor him in that way. I know wishful thinking
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Bruce Pascoe continues to be the kind of burning asshole that every member of the press should be.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Heeke was super salty with those NCAA questions.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:16 pm Bruce Pascoe continues to be the kind of burning asshole that every member of the press should be.
But god does he stumble while doing so.

Even the DM exchanges we’ve had have been awkward. Lmao.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:15 pm He should have said I hope they stay and show the country what Coach Miller had put together and honor him in that way. I know wishful thinking
He went farther than I expected about SM.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

When did Jason Scheer get fat?!!!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

wyo-cat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:20 pm
azcat49 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:15 pm He should have said I hope they stay and show the country what Coach Miller had put together and honor him in that way. I know wishful thinking
He went farther than I expected about SM.
Ditto that!
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:24 pm When did Jason Scheer get fat?!!!
Real question... when did Heeke get a gut?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am looking forward to a revamped offense with a bit more fluidity to it
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ironj01

Post by ironj01 »

:mrgreen:
When was he skinny? :lol: :lol: I kid.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I wanted him to say he was resigning as head and becoming the assistant coach for sean.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ironj01 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:25 pm :mrgreen:
I guess I've only seen a profile pic of his!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:26 pm

He looks fat in his Twitter profile.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

I'm all in on Lloyd he really impressed me today.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Alieberman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:50 pm Tommy's already crying..... damn it Tommy.... I'm trying to dislike you
Did he just realize who he is working for?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

That was just the lighting.
ironj01

Post by ironj01 »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:31 pm
That was just the lighting.
There you go...it was his shirt. :) :)
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:59 pm Might have mentioned the players and thanked the two assistants for working with the players during the transition.
Might have had the players there and spoke directly to them during part of this. That is on Heeke and Robbins. Their thought.....who cares.

I like emotional coaches because it is real not contrived. It means something to them.

Can't wait to get rid of Heeke and Robbins but have know idea how to force that hand.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:28 pm
Alieberman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:26 pm

He looks fat in his Twitter profile.
In fairness... 90% of the media members asking questions today were fat.

What the hell is wrong with these people? You cover sports.... feel free to get off your ass, take a walk and maybe throw in a salad once in a while
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What are you talking about Alieberman? Covering sports involves as many Frito Lay products as watching sports.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

why are we fat shaming people when instead we could be pointing out what complete fucking idiots robbins and heeke are?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

mofo wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:37 pm
azpatnca wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pmEven if it's not over racism, why is it when they already got their guy in mind that's usually a white guy? Maybe it's not racism in this instance, but add up all of these and you get a statistics that looks a lot like institutional racism.
Robbins hired Sumlin, no? Or was Sumlin not Robbins "guy"? I have a hard time thinking Robbins would hire anyone who isn't his guy...

Fair enough. I meant across the board, all hires, all professions, across the nation. I don't think Robbins is racist, but I think when everyone hires their guy without following the process you get a bunch of in-group hires and that biases against people outside of that group. In sports, in America, that's usually bias against coaches of color.

That had not been the case at Arizona.

Again, I'm not saying it was racism that led them to not really consider Stoudamire. And I agree he needs to have his guy. I'm just thinking about why it's so important to have rules that, in theory, don't let someone hire "his guy" but instead make you interview a bunch of people fairly. Of course, those rules don't prevent someone from picking their guy and running with it and doing the rest for show. And yeah, you're totally right that's what happened in the Sumlin case and that wasn't racism.

Maybe we're at a point where we can agree it's bad form not just because it, if practiced across the board, leads to disproportionate in-group hirings, but also because it doesn't always lead to the best hirings.

Appreciate the check.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I'm just watching the presser now. Dude said he'll serve as your "disaster of ceremonies."

He was likely joking like that all week and then said it during the speech.

"Practice makes permanent"
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Congrats on the hire. Had hoped Heeke was going to pull Alford out of his back pocket, but alas, he's still not Dan Guerrero.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:13 pm Arizona has always been the benchmark for Gonzaga, the gold standard of the West Coast through Gonzaga's eyes.

what Lloyd helped build at Gonzaga was created on the blueprint Arizona had already written.

Lloyd knows the potential at Arizona is considerably more than at Gonzaga, and if he follows the same blueprint in Tucson that he put in motion 20years ago in Spokane, the returns at Arizona will be double in half the time.

that is why Tommy Lloyd would only leave Gonzaga for Arizona, the only reason.
Just loved hearing that reverence from him and it was clear he meant it - this is the only job he would leave for. A lot of people have short memories about the appeal of coaching at Arizona, but the truth remains: It's the best cbb coaching job on the West Coast. The facilities, the history, the support from booster and the unparalleled support from the fans... that's the resources that cause "the returns at Arizona [to be] double in half the time."
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PieceOfMeat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:49 pm why are we fat shaming people when instead we could be pointing out what complete fucking idiots robbins and heeke are?
Some of us can walk and chew gum at the same time.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TheCat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:37 pm
azcat49 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:59 pm Might have mentioned the players and thanked the two assistants for working with the players during the transition.
Might have had the players there and spoke directly to them during part of this. That is on Heeke and Robbins. Their thought.....who cares.

I like emotional coaches because it is real not contrived. It means something to them.

Can't wait to get rid of Heeke and Robbins but have know idea how to force that hand.
Here's the win-win-win: Fisch and Lloyd are so damn successful that a competitor hires them right out from under us ("to our great despair though we wish them well"). Winning program, no more Robbins/Heeke, and one of our competitors swallows a poison pill. :lol:
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:13 pm Arizona has always been the benchmark for Gonzaga, the gold standard of the West Coast through Gonzaga's eyes.

what Lloyd helped build at Gonzaga was created on the blueprint Arizona had already written.

Lloyd knows the potential at Arizona is considerably more than at Gonzaga, and if he follows the same blueprint in Tucson that he put in motion 20years ago in Spokane, the returns at Arizona will be double in half the time.

So what’s kept Few there all these years? Pride?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:16 pm Bruce Pascoe continues to be the kind of burning asshole that every member of the press should be.
Please, out of respect to Lute, he is "Columbo" due to this "brilliant" line of questioning.

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:07 pm

So what’s kept Few there all these years? Pride?
Fly fishing, or so they have been saying for 10 years or so.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

I missed it, what did he ask?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

MrBug708 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:57 pm Congrats on the hire. Had hoped Heeke was going to pull Alford out of his back pocket, but alas, he's still not Dan Guerrero.
I think we stumbled upon a good hire. They broke the mold with Guerrero.
Fendicent4ever

Post by Fendicent4ever »

So Bobby Robbins makes a crony hire and gives some BS interviews to beloved, talented alumni in the process, who he was never seriously considering and really to me reeks of racism? God I hate this doctor.

For the record, I wouldn't have wanted Coach Stoudamire, Miles, Luke Walton or any alums replacing CSM. I'm not a fan of in the family hires. Either hire Nate Oats in 2018, Romar right after all the fallout (one of the all time great men in this industry) or don't do it at all. But here we are...

I'm even less of a fan of Emperor Bobby. Maybe Coach Lloyd is the man for the job. I even like him a bit. But, and I've said this a lot, how he goes about his business is a disgrace. Be gone
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fendicent4ever wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:30 pm So Bobby Robbins makes a crony hire and gives some BS interviews to beloved, talented alumni in the process, who he was never seriously considering and really to me reeks of racism? God I hate this doctor.

Not saying it wasn't racist, since Robbins anti-affirmative action stance is well known, but as a former CA state employee who gave interviews, we had many instances where we wanted to hire one person, and knew what person it was, but due to state hiring regulations, needed a certain number of interviews, usually 6. We also as a courtesy interviewed all on campus employees who applied.

Just a complete waste of time for all involved.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Fendicent4ever wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:30 pm So Bobby Robbins makes a crony hire and gives some BS interviews to beloved, talented alumni in the process, who he was never seriously considering and really to me reeks of racism? God I hate this doctor.

For the record, I wouldn't have wanted Coach Stoudamire, Miles, Luke Walton or any alums replacing CSM. I'm not a fan of in the family hires. Either hire Nate Oats in 2018, Romar right after all the fallout (one of the all time great men in this industry) or don't do it at all. But here we are...

I'm even less of a fan of Emperor Bobby. Maybe Coach Lloyd is the man for the job. I even like him a bit. But, and I've said this a lot, how he goes about his business is a disgrace. Be gone
My feelings. It may not be fair to Lloyd that the stench of Robbins is on him, but the way Robbins conducted the firing of Miller and hiring of Lloyd, that's how it is.

I wish Robbins was gone and we could move on righting some of the wrongs. That would be fairer to Lloyd as well.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Just finished watching the presser. My impressions...

I didn't think I could hate Robbins and Heeke anymore than I already do. I was wrong.

Was hoping to hear reverence to our program, same as Miller did at his first conference. I heard it in spades from CTL. He not only get's it but he gets this program can be elite very soon.

He seems down to earth and genuine. When he talked about Few and got emotional you can tell how much he cared about his mentor and former program. If he embraces the Arizona family the same way that will go a long way.

Love how he referenced CSM and wants to reach out to him to understand what it feels like to be the Arizona coach. Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall during that conversation? :lol:

Did I see Heeke's nose start to grow when he talked about when they started the coaching search?

The media didn't impress me. I was anticipating Pascoe being an idiot and he didn't disappoint.

He's got some work to do to retain the current players but liked his approach. Pretty much all he can do as they are Miller recruits.

Liked that he "inferred" his staff will have a Wildcat flavor to it. Could that mean Jet will be retained?

All in all, excluding the fact we had to see our repulsive Pres & AD, he did a good job and said all the right things. Should give us hope he can move this program forward and up.
Nice job Coach Lloyd. Let's get this going.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

I didn't think I could hate Robbins and Heeke anymore than I already do. I was wrong.
Seeing them in person made my skin crawl. They're worse in person than I imagined.

Who hired them? Goodness.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Robbins and Heeke give us "old white guys" a really bad name I must admit.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The Zags tree is at both Baylor and Ill. Let's see if he can shake the tree and get some good apples for assistants.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Coach Lloyd came across a lot tougher then his picture or voice in the interviews I listen to. Was weird. I also agree that he was in his element when talking details and coaching. The other stuff not as much.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

New Wildcats coach Tommy Lloyd to earn $2.9 million per year — the same as Sean Miller made

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 0.amp.html
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

HiCat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:54 pm New Wildcats coach Tommy Lloyd to earn $2.9 million per year — the same as Sean Miller made

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 0.amp.html
Reminds me of when never-a-head coach Mike Stoops was hired. Made more than national champion multi Final Four Lute.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

azgreg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:02 pm
Welcome back Matt Brase.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azpatnca wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:23 pm
Welcome back Matt Brase.
I imagine Robbins would approve. Remember when CSM had the whitest staff in the PAC or perhaps of any P5 conference?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:26 pm
azpatnca wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:23 pm
Welcome back Matt Brase.
I imagine Robbins would approve. Remember when CSM had the whitest staff in the PAC or perhaps of any P5 conference?
When was that? I thought Miller always had at least one non-white assistant, and has had two at multiple points.

I mean, Book getting federally indicted did hurt our diversity a bit, but you can't budget for that.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

We went from Book to Lo Ro to Gainey to Jet with Damon thrown in there, there has always been atleast one minority coach.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:40 pm We went from Book to Lo Ro to Gainey to Jet with Damon thrown in there, there has always been atleast one minority coach.
Yeah. Book and Damon were together for years and Book and Romar were together for weeks as well.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Chicat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:00 am
Alieberman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 am Can we all just get real for a second, stop all the bullshit and address the real issue this new coach brings?

Is no one brave enough to bring it up?

Fine... I’ll step up...

Tommy????? Not Tom.... not Thomas..... but Tommy?

Do we have a 5 year old coaching our team?
When one of my best friends Billy turned 40 I told him I was going to start calling him Bill. He told me not to because his dad was Bill. I responded, "Yeah, but at some point your dad went from being Billy to Bill." He had to admit that was a good point.
I was 10 when I started telling my moms to stop calling me Billy. The only sign of maturity I’ve ever exhibited.