Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NickyBCats

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by NickyBCats »

Frybry02 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:21 pm
TucsonClip wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:43 pm
Frybry02 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:40 pm It could be a short lived honeymoon period for CTL.
Give me Tyty and Kerr and we good.
I wonder if Lloyd even attempts to recruit Tyty.

He’s having a visit with him as we speak.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

NickyBCats wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:33 pm
Frybry02 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:21 pm
TucsonClip wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:43 pm
Frybry02 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:40 pm It could be a short lived honeymoon period for CTL.
Give me Tyty and Kerr and we good.
I wonder if Lloyd even attempts to recruit Tyty.
He’s having a visit with him as we speak.
Thanks. Should be interesting conversation. I saw Tyty is supposed to release his top 5 this weekend. Can Lloyd afford to wait on Tyty to decide?
Last edited by Frybry02 on Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:50 pm I think they all will enter the transfer portal as a sign of loyalty to Miller. I hope the majority return quickly.
I hope they all leave. Let Lloydbuild from nothing the way Miller had to. I have never before been so apathetic about UA basketball. Well, with the exception of when Lindsey was hired. Gave up my season tickets that year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:41 pm
TheCat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:50 pm I think they all will enter the transfer portal as a sign of loyalty to Miller. I hope the majority return quickly.
I hope they all leave. Let Lloydbuild from nothing the way Miller had to. I have never before been so apathetic about UA basketball. Well, with the exception of when Lindsey was hired. Gave up my season tickets that year.
Part of me wants to see that in response to the BS Robbins pulled. I'm fairly convinced he tourney banned us in part to make firing Miller easier and lied about Miller being the coach to keep players from leaving. Leaving aside what I think about Miller, both moves treated the players like commodities he'd lie to and use.

A kid like Akinjo could have used a tourney run to show out and improve his draft stock. But he got sacrificed in part to allow Robbins to settle his ego fight with Miller.

At the end of the day, I think I've settled I just want the players to have a fair shot at the best thing for their future. If it's elsewhere, good luck and I hope they show Robbins what could have been.
ironj01

Post by ironj01 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:44 pm
BBQ wildcat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:41 pm
Part of me wants to see that in response to the BS Robbins pulled. I'm fairly convinced he tourney banned us in part to make firing Miller easier and lied about Miller being the coach to keep players from leaving. Leaving aside what I think about Miller, both moves treated the players like commodities he'd lie to and use.

A kid like Akinjo could have used a tourney run to show out and improve his draft stock. But he got sacrificed in part to allow Robbins to settle his ego fight with Miller.

At the end of the day, I think I've settled I just want the players to have a fair shot at the best thing for their future. If it's elsewhere, good luck and I hope they show Robbins what could have been.
Agree with this. Part of me wants the kids to give CTL a shot as well. Well see how this all shakes out.
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

These kids aren't stupid. They realize they were used. Its nothing against Lloyd but a lot of these transfers are an F U to Robbins.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Why would any basketball player want to play somewhere where they take away the one thing you want to play in the most? - the NCAA tournament... I would be surprised if any of them stay.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

look, almost everyone at the U of A wants to get a thousand miles away from this administration. The difference is that it's only the players who can leave without consequence. Employees have to leave their homes, jobs, and the institution they've invested in heavily and love, and want to see it through this dark time.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Longhorned wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:32 pm look, almost everyone at the U of A wants to get a thousand miles away from this administration. The difference is that it's only the players who can leave without consequence. Employees have to leave their homes, jobs, and the institution they've invested in heavily and love, and want to see it through this dark time.
Yeah I’m done. I accepted a full time position back at my old university in the UAE. I’ll be selling my house in the summer. UofA furloughed my measly adjunct salary with the justification that when prorated up to a full-time salary I would be above the minimum threshold to have salaries furloughed. Comical. Thank god I didn’t really give a shit. What a Mickey Mouse organization.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Meanwhile, no furlough was necessary and the president who implemented it took a huge bonus.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Somebody owes me a bottle of 30 year old Macallan whisky.
eoe

Post by eoe »

I feel for you ladies and gents. An extremely ass-backwards system to begin with and the ones profiteering are those least deserving.
waysouthcat

Post by waysouthcat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:28 pm
Longhorned wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:32 pm look, almost everyone at the U of A wants to get a thousand miles away from this administration. The difference is that it's only the players who can leave without consequence. Employees have to leave their homes, jobs, and the institution they've invested in heavily and love, and want to see it through this dark time.
Yeah I’m done. I accepted a full time position back at my old university in the UAE. I’ll be selling my house in the summer. UofA furloughed my measly adjunct salary with the justification that when prorated up to a full-time salary I would be above the minimum threshold to have salaries furloughed. Comical. Thank god I didn’t really give a shit. What a Mickey Mouse organization.
A pre-emptive welcome back to the Arabian Gulf!
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

What is going on in Tucson??
Sounds like robby bobbins needs to spend less time tampering in the AD and spend more time handling business that he is actually supposed to be dealing with.
I'm on a school board in a tiny community, but you don't get much done when the teachers and staff hate you, or when the tax payers hate you!!!
Especially if you are making illogical decisions against better council.

Ps we are the Bobcats, but the logo painted on the plates covering the cast iron radiators in gym is the exact same stenciled wildcat as is on the back of my wildcats hat.

Think it's pretty cool.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:18 am What is going on in Tucson??
Sounds like robby bobbins needs to spend less time tampering in the AD and spend more time handling business that he is actually supposed to be dealing with.
I'm on a school board in a tiny community, but you don't get much done when the teachers and staff hate you, or when the tax payers hate you!!!
Especially if you are making illogical decisions against better council.
Koffler in 1982-1991, who was actually decent, was the first in a line of outsider presidents brought in by ABOR to accord with their very non-U of A vision. That business really soured with the economic challenges in the late 90s, and these outsider, corporate-style presidents ever since are incentivized to use students as revenue while consolidating power and lining their pockets, both of which are very expensive and depend on a scarcity mindset and inter-unit competition.

Same story everywhere, not just U of A. But we're unionizing and fighting back now. I'm hoping college can become affordable again, and become the kind of experience a lot of you remember.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Go look up film on Franger Pirela. Zags insider said he’s no longer an option there because the one guy recruiting him (Tommy) is no longer there.

Also Fanbo Zeng. Was thought to maybe reclassify to this season but same guy said he’s likely staying in China one more year and Zags don’t feel as confident with him now that Tommy is here and wouldn’t rule out Fanbo following Tommy here to Arizona.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

In another thread I said Koffler was the best President when it comes to our Sports programs. Dempsey was our AD and he got Lute, Tomey and Candrea.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

NickyBCats wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:37 am Go look up film on Franger Pirela. Zags insider said he’s no longer an option there because the one guy recruiting him (Tommy) is no longer there.

Also Fanbo Zeng. Was thought to maybe reclassify to this season but same guy said he’s likely staying in China one more year and Zags don’t feel as confident with him now that Tommy is here and wouldn’t rule out Fanbo following Tommy here to Arizona.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Well, Lute made it to the Final 4 in 5 years, Barnes did too. Miller was an underachiever.
Possibly a cheater too.
Screw him.
I'll support Lloyd.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:38 am In another thread I said Koffler was the best President when it comes to our Sports programs. Dempsey was our AD and he got Lute, Tomey and Candrea.
Snausages
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:42 am Well, Lute made it to the Final 4 in 5 years, Barnes did too. Miller was an underachiever.
Possibly a cheater too.
Screw him.
I'll support Lloyd.
You don't think any of the top 25 programs in the country have ways of getting high caliber players to come to their schools? I am sure Miller was playing the same game all the other coaches play as well.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That Zeng kid looks great. Kind of the norm to not take kids you recruited to the other school generally. I am assuming he did committ to the zags right
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:29 am That Zeng kid looks great. Kind of the norm to not take kids you recruited to the other school generally. I am assuming he did committ to the zags right
He's verbally committed to Gonzaga.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:29 am Kind of the norm to not take kids you recruited to the other school generally.
This is not the norm, in fact from what I have seen it is the exact opposite.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Those three Pirela highlights look identical to Russell Westbrook. Obv not saying he’s Westbrook or will be Westbrook but he gets rebounds and dribbles and goes to the hole just like him.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

pokinmik wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:06 pm Those three Pirela highlights look identical to Russell Westbrook. Obv not saying he’s Westbrook or will be Westbrook but he gets rebounds and dribbles and goes to the hole just like him.
less explosive jumping ability, but everything else is super similar. Would mind adding him to the roster at all.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

gronk4heisman wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:02 pm
azcat49 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:29 am Kind of the norm to not take kids you recruited to the other school generally.
This is not the norm, in fact from what I have seen it is the exact opposite.
I think with HC is different then with AC. If, say, Miller wasn't figured but left us to go to UNC, for example, I'd expect recruits to follow him because they wanted to play for him and his system and that won't be here. Just like I expect many of our recruits and current players to leave -- even though they don't have Miller to follow, just because what they were coming for isn't the same.

But in the case of Gonzaga, Few and his system is still in place, so if they follow Lloyd to AZ it's not the same.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

WildcatStunner wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:34 am
AV8RCAT wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:42 am Well, Lute made it to the Final 4 in 5 years, Barnes did too. Miller was an underachiever.
Possibly a cheater too.
Screw him.
I'll support Lloyd.
You don't think any of the top 25 programs in the country have ways of getting high caliber players to come to their schools? I am sure Miller was playing the same game all the other coaches play as well.
He should have been better at it then. Bottom line, the program got in trouble on his watch and there's the losses to Wisconsin and Buffalo barber college.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AV8RCAT wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:48 pm
Possibly a cheater too.
Screw him.
I'll support Lloyd.
He should have been better at it then. Bottom line, the program got in trouble on his watch
What are you even talking about? Do you know why the program got in trouble??
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Chicat wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:11 pm
Possibly a cheater too.
Screw him.
I'll support Lloyd.
He should have been better at it then. Bottom line, the program got in trouble on his watch
I know a little. What exactly is your issue with what I wrote?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I think the issue is that Miller wasn't caught cheating, and the program didn't get in trouble for Miller cheating.
AV8RCAT

Post by AV8RCAT »

Longhorned wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:32 pm I think the issue is that Miller wasn't caught cheating, and the program didn't get in trouble for Miller cheating.
I see. Wouldn't be the first time the head dude was held accountable for something that happened in his organization.
I probably shouldn't have indicated strong feelings on the matter. The "screw him" wasn't necessary. I wouldn't be particularly unhappy if Miller was retained. He was a decent, if not great coach.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:lol:

Don’t drink & post, kids.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:07 am :lol:

Huh? Wait...do I have to now delete half my posts?

I really need to learn to read the fine print.
😬
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:26 am

😬
"half" . . . that's so cute.

Try "all".
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

:lol: That's cold
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:34 am

😬

Try "all".
Actually sir, I am drunk half the time...and the other half I am high.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Possibly a cheater too.
Screw him.
I'll support Lloyd.
I am not following the issue. Had he been better at keeping rogue assistants, who he was well aware of had shady dealings, out of the program he would not be where he is now and the program would not be in trouble. Is that even debatable?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

gronk4heisman wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:12 am
Possibly a cheater too.
Screw him.
I'll support Lloyd.
I am not following the issue. Had he been better at keeping rogue assistants, who he was well aware of had shady dealings, out of the program he would not be where he is now and the program would not be in trouble. Is that even debatable?
Yeah it was stupid to delegate. Should have done it himself. He’d have a lifetime contract right now like Bill Self.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Possibly a cheater too.
Screw him.
I'll support Lloyd.
How does what you or AV8RCAT wrote equate to Sean Miller being “a cheater”?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:48 am
Chicat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:34 am

😬

Try "all".
Actually sir, I am drunk half the time...and the other half I am high.
My man!
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chicat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:17 am

How does what you or AV8RCAT wrote equate to Sean Miller being “a cheater”?
If you are aware of cheating going on in your program and you do nothing about it you are a "cheater" in my book. And that applies to Roy, Coach K, Self, Wade, Pitino, etc. Now do I have a problem with the cheating that goes on in the college basketball scene where players who are used by the school get something in return? Absolutely not. But Sean Miller is where he is because he kept Book around when he clearly was an issue. You are a smart guy, there is no way you truly believe Sean is the clean guy in the college basketball scene of pretend amateurism.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:lol:

You’re right that the issue is 100% about Sean Miller keeping Book around but how exactly does Book taking bribes to steer kids who were planning to turn pro to an agent equate to cheating?

I’m not idiotic enough to think that Sean Miller was squeaky clean but I’m also not idiotic enough to think that what Book got caught doing in any way benefitted Arizona Basketball.

I mean, if you want to bend yourself into a pretzel to believe that we got caught cheating go right ahead, but stretch first. Wouldn’t want you to pull a muscle.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

So you’re under the impression that Sean knew what Book was doing?

So Sean is making 2-3 mil per year and wants Book to line his pockets for a lousy 15k of ADIDAS money? You think adidas is giving money to kids to go to Nike schools?
He wasn’t even giving any benefits to kids who were incoming. He was pushing them to an agency when they were leaving college. In what way does that help Arizona put a better product on the floor?

I can’t help you.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

When is Tommy going to start naming his assistant coaches? Seems like he should named 1 or 2 already
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Why are you guys trying to introduce supporting facts? We know nobody cares because it doesn’t fit the media narrative. Miller and Arizona have 5 Level 1 infractions from the sanctimonious NCAA.

We are a bunch of cheats. We pay players and we are going to get heavy sanctions... and the boogie man is coming to get us.

I have learned to ignore the uninformed.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:46 am Why are you guys trying to introduce supporting facts? We know nobody cares because it doesn’t fit the media narrative. Miller and Arizona have 5 Level 1 infractions from the sanctimonious NCAA.

We are a bunch of cheats. We pay players and we are going to get heavy sanctions... and the boogie man is coming to get us.

I have learned to ignore the uninformed.
It just goes to show that ESPN’s narrative has infected the brains of people who might even call themselves well-informed diehard Cat fans. It’s sad.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

It’s funny...I read the NOA and there’s nothing about paying players.

I guess I missed that one.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I was playing poker with the neighbors but it was cheating because my child snuck meatloaf to our dog.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

It makes absolutely no sense to cheat by steering players after the fact to financial advisors. How does that benefit Sean or Arizona? It doesn't. End of story. Now if you said Book was working with Nike to line the pockets of recruits you would have a point or if you said Sean was actively paying players (ESPN's Allegation) but there is nothing in the NOA that says that. What we are accused of has no benefit to Sean or Arizona. He didn't control the behavior of Book and he is required too. Just like Pitino did not control an assistant during stripper gate but the response from the media and ESPN particularly was you can't always know what your assistants are doing. The allegations of academic fraud are more worrisome than the others but I should mention the players involved were allowed to play.