Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:15 pm Whoever is our next coach is not going to be our long term answer... it’s the following coach
Alieberman wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:15 pm I'm wicked smart
the Genius, Al - you got us the Genius
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Pretty entertaining going back and reading the beginning of this thread.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Frybry02 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:45 pm Pretty entertaining going back and reading the beginning of this thread.
It only reminds me of just how bad Bobbins & Reeke had to fuck over Sean Miller, the players, and fans to make the change.

I’m very very glad it worked out and no I will never forgive them.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

MountainCat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:45 pm
EVCat wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:19 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:00 pm It definitely doesn't suck to have the best team in the NBA coached by an AZ legend.
I had no idea Monty Williams was a former UA legend! When did he play for us? Before Lute? Because I can't place him.

And who knew Fraser was Q?
I think he was referring to Steve Kerr... ... not Monty :roll:
(super late, but) No...really?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Our own Tommy Lloyd was on Coach K’s ESPIN radio show tonight. Didn’t listen but if anyone did it would be nice to have the readers digest of it
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Tommy Lloyd “How ‘bout them Tar Heels?”
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Here comes the fuckery…
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

This is such bullshit. The Big East sucks as much as the Pac this year so the typical east coast bias is rearing it's ugly head once again.

Weren't we supposed to be 4th in our conference and maybe a bubble team? And now we are a #1 seed!
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

We should be prepared for the Tommy gun to be shafted
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Use this for fuel during the tourney run.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Bulletin board material for sure.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

perception to a certain degree is Lloyd's winning with Miller's players, Miller's top 15 caliber players - not saying i agree with that but its the perception, especially back east
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah unless we're in the final 4 this year, the traditional powers that be and East coasters won't really give Lloyd credit until he proves he can do the same in a year or two from now
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Now I really wanna play Providence in the tourney.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:28 am perception to a certain degree is Lloyd's winning with Miller's players, Miller's top 15 caliber players - not saying i agree with that but its the perception, especially back east
Miller's players who weren't even good enough to garner top 25 votes prior to the season starting per the media.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It's because AZ isn't elite... right Jeff?
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:05 am It's because AZ isn't elite... right Jeff?
The other great one was when they were discussing who will win the power conference tournaments and they got to the PAC 12 Goodman said, "I thought we were discussing power conferences?" Dude is a joke.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:28 am perception to a certain degree is Lloyd's winning with Miller's players, Miller's top 15 caliber players - not saying i agree with that but its the perception, especially back east
Remember how important it is to simultaneously smear Miller while using him as the reason why Lloyd had an unfair advantage. Optimizing bias is more important than recognizing virtue in either case.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

He looks like a tool. And his arrogant, smugness makes me want to just...(insert Dove's typical remarks here).
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Good for Cooley. He surely deserves recognition. I’m also equally sure that Tommy couldn’t give a shit about those awards. He wants to win games, not awards.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
aznavcat

Post by aznavcat »

TL is an outstanding coach and deserves CoY except...this is his first year as a HC. In the world of sports you have to pay your dues first. There's a bias against rookies winning the MVP over veterans. That's the difference, Ed Cooley has been a HC for 15+ years. They both have their cases but tie goes to the vet.

I'm very impressed with TL's competence, leadership, team building, and no nonsense communication style. I see him building Lute Olson and Mark Few-like consistency at AZ. Every year we're going to be somewhere between really good and great. It's good to be a Wildcat :D
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

aznavcat wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:50 am TL is an outstanding coach and deserves CoY except...this is his first year as a HC. In the world of sports you have to pay your dues first. There's a bias against rookies winning the MVP over veterans. That's the difference, Ed Cooley has been a HC for 15+ years. They both have their cases but tie goes to the vet.

I'm very impressed with TL's competence, leadership, team building, and no nonsense communication style. I see him building Lute Olson and Mark Few-like consistency at AZ. Every year we're going to be somewhere between really good and great. It's good to be a Wildcat :D
Unfortunately in the years to come if we are consistently good, Tommy will be regarded as a great coach but won’t garner any post season awards because of the expectation that Arizona will be championship caliber.

So they should call Coach of the Year what it is…

The Likeable Coach Whose Teams Are Usually Good To Mediocre But This Year Overachieved Award
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Props to Dukie Vitale, he gave the coach of the year award to LLoyd

https://www.espn.com/espn/dickvitale/st ... rd-winners

Dick Vitale's Coach of the Year: Tommy Lloyd, Arizona

There were many viable candidate for this award. Mark Adams of Texas Tech lost talent off of last year's squad but reached the AP top 10. Ed Cooley has led Providence into national prominence too. Bruce Pearl has Auburn at new heights, reaching No. 1 for the first time. All good possibilities but I am giving the nod to Lloyd. He took over from Sean Miller, inheriting a team that finished fifth in the Pac-12 and led them to the conference title. This is Lloyd's first year as head coach and it has been special.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:54 am
aznavcat wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:50 am TL is an outstanding coach and deserves CoY except...this is his first year as a HC. In the world of sports you have to pay your dues first. There's a bias against rookies winning the MVP over veterans. That's the difference, Ed Cooley has been a HC for 15+ years. They both have their cases but tie goes to the vet.

Unfortunately in the years to come if we are consistently good, Tommy will be regarded as a great coach but won’t garner any post season awards because of the expectation that Arizona will be championship caliber.

So they should call Coach of the Year what it is…

The Likeable Coach Whose Teams Are Usually Good To Mediocre But This Year Overachieved Award
100%! If not this year, then I just don't see it in the future either.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:15 am
Remember how important it is to simultaneously smear Miller while using him as the reason why Lloyd had an unfair advantage. Optimizing bias is more important than recognizing virtue in either case.
its really true and those that participated have memories of a gnat
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I really do believe overlooking a deserving coach's award fuels college players' motivation in tourney games. It's actually a gift.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:25 pm I really do believe overlooking a deserving coach's award fuels college players' motivation in tourney games. It's actually a gift.
no question it all adds fuel to the fire
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bring me Providence!
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:25 pm I really do believe overlooking a deserving coach's award fuels college players' motivation in tourney games. It's actually a gift.
So, based on that theory, what does it do for a team whose coach threw them under the bus on national TV?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Dude, isn't that just Goodman, Dauster, and co?

It ain't the real coach of the year award.

I like listening to them but, I like Fanta better, Goodman is kind of a tool. It's like the better we got this year, the more he dogs us.

Fricking Duke and Wisconsin.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

Sean and Archie both had votes in the field of 68 awards and both voted for Ed Cooley for coach of the year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not a surprise to me. Cooley was his assistant when Miller was the U18 coach and he played In the big East
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

jsbowl16 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:26 pm Sean and Archie both had votes in the field of 68 awards and both voted for Ed Cooley for coach of the year.
There's a reason neither are currently coaching and now have a podcast that's lucky to get a 100 views. Tommy Lloyd's got my vote for NCOY. Perhaps Sean is a little salty since he has to watch players he recruited being used to their strengths by a better and more likeable coach. I'm thankful Sean Miller left the cupboard full but beyond that I want the program to distance itself from him. You will never convince me Sean didn't do at least some of the things he was accused of. There was just too much and I'm glad we moved on from him. We definitely wouldn't be a number one seed contending for a national title with Miller's antiquated coaching philosophy IMHO. Bottom line is we're better off without Miller and CTL has proven that.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Providence will not make it out of the first weekend of the tourney.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:02 pm Providence will not make it out of the first weekend of the tourney.
Need to see who they'll play, but yeah, I'm not at all convinced they can go far.

Tommy will go further.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Captain Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:42 pm
jsbowl16 wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:26 pm Sean and Archie both had votes in the field of 68 awards and both voted for Ed Cooley for coach of the year.
There's a reason neither are currently coaching and now have a podcast that's lucky to get a 100 views. Tommy Lloyd's got my vote for NCOY. Perhaps Sean is a little salty since he has to watch players he recruited being used to their strengths by a better and more likeable coach. I'm thankful Sean Miller left the cupboard full but beyond that I want the program to distance itself from him. You will never convince me Sean didn't do at least some of the things he was accused of. There was just too much and I'm glad we moved on from him. We definitely wouldn't be a number one seed contending for a national title with Miller's antiquated coaching philosophy IMHO. Bottom line is we're better off without Miller and CTL has proven that.
Lmao.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:10 am Here comes the fuckery…
So you get coach of the year if you can't recruit. WHO KNEW.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:23 pm
Captain Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:42 pm
Lmao.
I’d laugh too, but then I think of the person behind that account and how trolling the internet substitutes for real human experience and I get sad.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

His is a career that has 20 years to run, at least. But it should be known for beginning with a heart-to-heart with Miller during the transition. Sort of a gentlemanly changing of the guard.

"He told me some things I should focus on in the job," Lloyd said. "He didn't have to do that."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... esert/amp/
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Awww Shucks KJ - BTFD
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

prh

Post by prh »

espn AND k.... vomit vomit vomit

anyone wanna summarize?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

prh wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:59 am espn AND k.... vomit vomit vomit

anyone wanna summarize?
Coach k likes our assist numbers. We had 300 more assists than our opponents. Tommy talks about our defense
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:24 am
He's one of 10 coaches being considered for the 2022 award:
  • Mark Adams (Texas Tech),
  • Ed Cooley (Providence),
  • Scott Drew (Baylor),
  • Steve Forbes (Wake Forest),
  • Greg Gard (Wisconsin),
  • Tommy Lloyd (Arizona),
  • Matt McMahon (Murray State),
  • Bruce Pearl (Auburn) and
  • Kelvin Sampson (Houston)
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Un-freaking-real.

30 wins before he even made it to the dance.

Rare company this coach and team are in.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:38 pm Un-freaking-real.

30 wins before he even made it to the dance.

Rare company this coach and team are in.
I know crazy right? Who’d have thought this at the beginning of the season……it’s beyond my wildest expectations so far! BTFD
97cats

Post by 97cats »

three losses
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »