Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:38 am
Chicat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:23 pm If Coach Tommy wins national coach of the year I’ll give $100 to whatever charity you want.
Ari, you got your charities lined up? I don’t care how the award shakes out. He’s the goddamn Coach of the Year. Just tell me where to send the money.
Yeah… like I said I’m paying up as well. What is the best Ukrainian Humanitarian relief fund? That’s where I would want my donation to go to
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I knew all along.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:31 am Another skeptic here who just knew it was a dumb fucking mistake to hire someone with no head coaching experience. Even as the season progressed, I remained skeptical, grudgingly admitting that he is a good in-game coach (but can he recruit?). And now I am all in on Lloyd. I will still always love Miller and will hate Bobbinsheeke for how they screwed him and the players over. So now I am embarrassedly happy that Lloyd is our coach. I think there are an awful lot of us in this club.
This 💯. Well-said BBQ.
Bangkok Wildcat

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:43 am
I fully realize this is not as good BUT I think this is a close second under ‘Cool UA Winning Coach Celebrations’ right under the best of all time which of course was Miles Simon messing up impeccable Coach Lute’s hair after winning the NC in 1997. IMHO 8-)

Edit: or was that Bramlett?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:55 pm

I fully realize this is not as good BUT I think this is a close second under ‘Cool UA Winning Coach Celebrations’ right under the best of all time which of course was Miles Simon messing up impeccable Coach Lute’s hair after winning the NC in 1997. IMHO 8-)

Edit: or was that Bramlett?
Bennett Davison
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Bangkok Wildcat

Thanks UAE….was such an incredible site vs. his usual impeccable style…..great memory!
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

Reading this thread warms my heart.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:12 pm
Chicat wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:38 am
Chicat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:23 pm If Coach Tommy wins national coach of the year I’ll give $100 to whatever charity you want.
Ari, you got your charities lined up? I don’t care how the award shakes out. He’s the goddamn Coach of the Year. Just tell me where to send the money.
Yeah… like I said I’m paying up as well. What is the best Ukrainian Humanitarian relief fund? That’s where I would want my donation to go to
How about $100 to the Red Cross and $100 to World Central Kitchen?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

I was all in on him from the first press conference. Glad to see him earn everyone's trust, this thread brings me joy.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona Basketball Press Conference - Tommy Lloyd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDM0iNA04j4
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

I had no flippin’ clue how this was going to go and I won’t pretend otherwise. I was pleased he re-recruited the core players, but was concerned that he didn’t pick up another PG. I was happy for the Pelle and Oumar transfers, but between injury and rawness, didn’t know they were this year players. I was soooo salty at Ricky Bobby and his puppet for how this went down (still am, always will be), that I just couldn’t get on board at first. I liked the new offense immediately. Seeing the speed in person was so fun! I came home from my first home game and told my wife, I don’t know how far this team will go, but it’s going to be a fun ride. I just wondered what they’d do with non-fluff teams. When they beat Illinois, it was cemented in that we had a different kind of cat here.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

While I was sad to see CSM leave, it did not surprise me, and I thought (and still think) that he bore some responsibility for his outcome (Not at all intended for debate/discussion now - merely a reflection of me at the time)...

I thought Arizona was going to have a hard time attracting the type of coach we need and deserve - and I thought (and still think) that the unfair media treatment of the entire Book Richardson affair was a major contributor there - but was pleasantly surprised by the hiring of CSL. I did not think we could get someone of CSM's stature and ability!!

Whatever skepticism I had initially was greatly reduced by CSL's initial press conference - he displayed all the personal qualities that I like in a coach. And, I trusted his years with Few as great preparation.

After the first few games I could see on TV, I totally "bought in" - the style of play, the obvious buy-in from the players sold me 100%. I immediately made reservations for Las Vegas, paid too much for really good seats, and saw my sense that we were a national contender completely vindicated!!! Loved every second of CSL's coaching (I was right behind the bench)!!

After the Michigan victory, the team was leaving the floor right near my seats, and hearing Kerr screaming "BTFD!!!!" left no doubt about this team, and stoked my passion for the rest of the season!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

Liam Lloyd has entered the transfer protocol ….chances he joins his dad?

https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2022
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ZagCatFan wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:15 pm Liam Lloyd has entered the transfer protocol ….chances he joins his dad?

https://www.verbalcommits.com/transfers/2022
I'd be pretty surprised if he's not at UofA next year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Doesn't even need a scholie, nor does he deserve one. Besides the tuition discount for dependent children of UA employees, he may already be entitled to instate tuition. But in any event, Tommy can afford it.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

“He’s a players’ coach — he does everything for his players,” Koloko said. “He’s a very detail-oriented coach, goes into the detail to really teach you the game.”
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

If he gets it we have to call him Tommy COY not Tommy Boy.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Or C(OY)TL. And that opens up all the pre and post-coital jokes.

I'll be here on and off all day.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Head coach of the year Tommy Lloyd = HeadCOYTL = Gets you to skullfucking in a round about way, but I'll take it.

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Some of you need to keep your day job. I will do the nicknaming around here...

:lol: :P
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:40 pm Some of you need to keep your day job. I will do the nicknaming around here...

I'll stick with my personal rotation, thank you very much.

The Tominator.
Tommy Gunn.
Not Timmy Floyd.
International Recruiter of Mystery.

Seriously, though, can I say this? I very much hated how Robbins and Heeke handled Miller's exit and the process of changing coaches in general.

I think the biggest compliment I can pay Lloyd is I no longer think of him as Robbins's boy. I assumed I'd always feel that way because of the way the process was handled, but the way he's handled the job so far, he deserves to stand alone.

I still dislike Robbins intensely, but Lloyd stands on his own two feet independent of that. Instead of feeling like we lost a top coach for Robbins pet, we lost a top coach and got a top coach.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:14 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:40 pm Some of you need to keep your day job. I will do the nicknaming around here...

I'll stick with my personal rotation, thank you very much.

The Tominator.
Tommy Gunn.
Not Timmy Floyd.
International Recruiter of Mystery.

Seriously, though, can I say this? I very much hated how Robbins and Heeke handled Miller's exit and the process of changing coaches in general.

I think the biggest compliment I can pay Lloyd is I no longer think of him as Robbins's boy. I assumed I'd always feel that way because of the way the process was handled, but the way he's handled the job so far, he deserves to stand alone.

I still dislike Robbins intensely, but Lloyd stands on his own two feet independent of that. Instead of feeling like we lost a top coach for Robbins pet, we lost a top coach and got a top coach.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hey, I came up with Jedd Lasso…
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:36 pm

That's genius, Chi.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Sorry, I meant for Tommy Boy...errr...The Awe Shucks Assassin

Jedd is all yours.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Oh man that’s great.
prh

Post by prh »

A lot of the recent discussion has been about his continued belief and development of Ballo, but something that has gone overlooked-- for the whole first half of the year, I think most Wildcat fans were wondering when Pelle was going to dropped from the rotation. But Lloyd stuck with it and look at what it's resulted in.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the Genius
97cats

Post by 97cats »

prh wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:42 am A lot of the recent discussion has been about his continued belief and development of Ballo, but something that has gone overlooked-- for the whole first half of the year, I think most Wildcat fans were wondering when Pelle was going to dropped from the rotation. But Lloyd stuck with it and look at what it's resulted in.
Lloyd loves Larsson
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:43 am
prh wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:42 am A lot of the recent discussion has been about his continued belief and development of Ballo, but something that has gone overlooked-- for the whole first half of the year, I think most Wildcat fans were wondering when Pelle was going to dropped from the rotation. But Lloyd stuck with it and look at what it's resulted in.
Lloyd loves Larsson
I like Larsson...but the other half is we didn't have much choice but to work to develop Ballo and Larsson. When Aiken disappeared, I mean...we'd have to play our frontcourt guys 40 unless Ballo and Larsson gave us minutes.

Which isn't a shot a Lloyd, Ballo or Larsson. It's worked well and is a tribute to all of them. It's one of those things that needed to happen for us to be this good, and it did.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lloyd loves Larsson
Pretty sure we all do at this point. He's had a wonderful trajectory this season. Think it's just the beginning. He could be all Pac next year.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:01 am
Lloyd loves Larsson
I like Larsson...but the other half is we didn't have much choice but to work to develop Ballo and Larsson. When Aiken disappeared, I mean...we'd have to play our frontcourt guys 40 unless Ballo and Larsson gave us minutes.

Which isn't a shot a Lloyd, Ballo or Larsson. It's worked well and is a tribute to all of them. It's one of those things that needed to happen for us to be this good, and it did.
Which is why I always hated grad transfers no matter how good they are. Never know how good kids can be and improve during the course of 1 season.

Grads transfers are like one and dones, if you're getting them they better be high quality impact players.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:06 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:01 am
Lloyd loves Larsson

Which is why I always hated grad transfers no matter how good they are. Never know how good kids can be and improve during the course of 1 season.

Grads transfers are like one and dones, if you're getting them they better be high quality impact players.
My example of when grad transfers work is Mark Lyons. We had a lot of talent, but Jordin Mayes wasn't going to keep us in the running for where we needed to be. Lyons came in, got the big time exposure he wanted and we got much further than we would have without him.

Plus, he ultimately just kept the seat warm for TJ McConnell's year to sit as a transfer. It was the epitome of filling a spot that was vacant for just a year. If we tried to fill that spot with a HS player...he'd have transferred when he saw what TJ was about to be.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Larsson was never going to be dropped from the rotation. He was arguably Utah’s best player last year and we all knew he would round into form after he broke his foot. And as was said, Lloyd loves that guy and repeatedly said he thought Pelle would have been a starter if not for that injury.

I find it very interesting that the PAC coaches voted him 6th man of the year over Ballo. They obviously knew of his quality of play and his impact on the game
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Well you can't have two 6th man's, that doesn't make sense. One would be the 7th.

And Larsson is our 6th man, to me it was obviously Pelle
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:19 am Larsson was never going to be dropped from the rotation. He was arguably Utah’s best player last year and we all knew he would round into form after he broke his foot. And as was said, Lloyd loves that guy and repeatedly said he thought Pelle would have been a starter if not for that injury.

I find it very interesting that the PAC coaches voted him 6th man of the year over Ballo. They obviously knew of his quality of play and his impact on the game
Don't tell Dalen Terry's dad that.

Larsson made a good adjustment to a lower usage guy than he was at Utah. He didn't shoot the 3 well early and his TO's are still a bit too high, but he's been a rock on D, rebounding and has molded perfectly to his role.

Larsson, Tubelis, Terry, Kier...we have a lot of guys who contribute across the board very quietly. You don't see the flash, but those guys all lift the team almost regardless of how much they're scoring or how much you notice them.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh I agree as I have no idea who he might replace in the starting line up but Lloyd said he thought he was on his way to emerge as a starter. Could have been Coach speak.

Larsson is very solid if not flashy. Solid rebounder and can shoot it with consistency. More athletic than he appears IMO. We have the luxury of really have 8 guys who could all start
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Even though I didn't think he'd be dropped from the rotation (who would take his place?), I cringed frequently when the ball was in his hands. Now I'm loving all his touches. That came out wrong.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYShcqw0b_U

KVOA whoever the fuck they sent asked Tommy Lloyd about Peter Kiss...like it fucking matters because Bryant lost last night...what a stupid question...

Lloyd said "He's not even on my radar, he lost."
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:18 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYShcqw0b_U

KVOA whoever the fuck they sent asked Tommy Lloyd about Peter Kiss...like it fucking matters because Bryant lost last night...what a stupid question...

Lloyd said "He's not even on my radar, he lost."
Another good interview with CTL. Interesting to hear his thoughts re: Euro players.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

David Kelly?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It was obvious that David Kelly had no idea Bryant lost.

That is so embarrassing. You have 1 job....
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Don't know where else to put this but since a lot of fans want to fire cal and Lloyd is one of the candidates they want....

Incredible how outdated and stubborn to change a coach is. A lot of these games are hard to watch having seen this team play the whole year
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:38 am Don't know where else to put this but since a lot of fans want to fire cal and Lloyd is one of the candidates they want....

Incredible how outdated and stubborn to change a coach is. A lot of these games are hard to watch having seen this team play the whole year
See, my comeback would be that UK was 4th in AdjO this year. They actually made a living off being very good on offense and not nearly as good on D.

The part of offense that hurt them was guys like Grady who are normally very good shooters missing everything. He single handedly dragged their 3 point % from almost .500 to .257.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:57 am
RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:38 am Don't know where else to put this but since a lot of fans want to fire cal and Lloyd is one of the candidates they want....

See, my comeback would be that UK was 4th in AdjO this year. They actually made a living off being very good on offense and not nearly as good on D.

The part of offense that hurt them was guys like Grady who are normally very good shooters missing everything. He single handedly dragged their 3 point % from almost .500 to .257.
Efficiency =/= good offensive sets - it doesn't negate the antiquated coaching

Feels like you're arguing something completely different. Did you watch those clips? Have you seen Cal doing similar thing with his past rosters?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I thought Kentucky lost because their defense was abysmal.

I get they could have made a few more shots and that Cal’s offense might be antiquated. Makes you appreciate how flexible Lute was doesn’t it.

I wonder how you fire a coach who has a lifetime contract?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:05 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:57 am

Efficiency =/= good offensive sets - it doesn't negate the antiquated coaching

Feels like you're arguing something completely different. Did you watch those clips? Have you seen Cal doing similar thing with his past rosters?
I would disagree on that first point. In my view, efficient results very much equal good offensive sets.

If you run futuristic, NBA level sets and your players produce worse results than with antiquated sets, you should run antiquated sets. Good sets are ones your players consistently turn into points, nothing more and nothing less in my view.

To use an extreme analogy, say you have prime Shaq. Do you run modern, European sets to get him moving on the perimeter or antiquated sets where you dump it to him in the post because he's a monster?

End of the day, when it comes to offensive sets, I firmly believe good is synonymous with producing efficient results.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:45 am I thought Kentucky lost because their defense was abysmal.

I get they could have made a few more shots and that Cal’s offense might be antiquated. Makes you appreciate how flexible Lute was doesn’t it.

I wonder how you fire a coach who has a lifetime contract?
His buyout's only 46 mil.