Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Fishclamps

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by Fishclamps »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:53 am
azcat49 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:45 am I thought Kentucky lost because their defense was abysmal.

I get they could have made a few more shots and that Cal’s offense might be antiquated. Makes you appreciate how flexible Lute was doesn’t it.

I wonder how you fire a coach who has a lifetime contract?
His buyout's only 46 mil.
Scusi?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Fishclamps wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:58 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:53 am
azcat49 wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:45 am I thought Kentucky lost because their defense was abysmal.

I get they could have made a few more shots and that Cal’s offense might be antiquated. Makes you appreciate how flexible Lute was doesn’t it.

I wonder how you fire a coach who has a lifetime contract?
His buyout's only 46 mil.
Scusi?
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aseaof ... dcats-news

Initially it was 60 million, but now we're down to a measly 46 mil if Kentucky wants to buy him out. The above link is the initial figure of 60 mil when he signed the current deal.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Idiots in KU. They get much to much of their self esteem from watching a bunch of kids.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Calipari is the perfect coach for Kentucky, and it's been that way for years. It's just really hard to do well in the NCAA tournament. No amount of talent can guarantee success.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

This is now how many times Lloyd has had to say to make noise or sell out games etc

Even players had to do it earlier, Kerr was mad that they hadn't played in a sellout/full crowd
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

WTF...was it really that bad?

I know our fans rocked Vegas. Why not SD?
prh

Post by prh »

Fwiw, ticket prices for this weekend in SD were far worse than I've seen in the past. I had something come up and didn't make it, but between tickets, how expensive staying in SD is, and the fact we are heavily expected to advance...maybe a lot of people are choosing San Antonio over SD?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Half the arena was still in line .5 mile from Viejas, through campus, at tip off.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I think all the fans Tommy wants stayed home to watch the ladies. McKale sounds LOUD on TV.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
aznavcat

Post by aznavcat »

I fully understand encouraging fans to show up and make some noise. I was in Vegas for the PAC12 tournament and the AZ fan base was loud and proud. We easily doubled the other 11 conference teams combined just walking around the Vegas area. In T Mobile Arena it was a 10-1 margin or more. I don't think it's wise to guilt or blame a great fan base. You're doing great TL, but be careful in this area. If anything blame the NCAA for significantly overpricing the tickets. Most importantly, let's play smart and focused basketball. If they do that, we're advancing.
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

TucsonClip wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:19 pm Half the arena was still in line .5 mile from Viejas, through campus, at tip off.
This…line to park, line to enter arena…took forever just to get in and the first 10 minutes of the game passed before everyone was able to get in.

That and besides the “official” UofA seating, everyone is scattered because they had designated seating for other programs so it limits the amount of seats available.

Also SDSU arena should not be used in the future. So bad
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

'We were just stuck there': Arizona fans still frustrated with Friday's lines, delays

Alec White Mar 19, 2022 Updated 11 hrs ago

The good news in all of this? Fans in San Diego won’t have to go through the painful experience again Sunday for the round of 32 game against TCU. The Texas Tech-Notre Dame and Arizona-TCU matchups are packaged as one session meaning staff won’t have to clear out the arena in between games.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... f0db1.html
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

phxcat23 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:58 pm
TucsonClip wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:19 pm Half the arena was still in line .5 mile from Viejas, through campus, at tip off.
This…line to park, line to enter arena…took forever just to get in and the first 10 minutes of the game passed before everyone was able to get in.

That and besides the “official” UofA seating, everyone is scattered because they had designated seating for other programs so it limits the amount of seats available.

Also SDSU arena should not be used in the future. So bad
Yep, we left an hour and 20 minutes early to make the 20 minute drive to the arena and were standing in the very long line to get in during the tipoff. Game was well underway by the time we got in. Poor crowd management for sure.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Sounds like the first football game this year.

I’m guessing the turnover per 2 minutes didn’t help the crowd.
We were on University and they crowd was pretty subdued until the end.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

But I thought our team was classless?

:roll:
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:02 pm Tommy better realize how good Mathurin is and do anything to keep him in Tucson.
Tommy realized then and now.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:19 pm
That kid really left it all on the floor!!!! He, and TCU fans, should be proud as hell of his performance!!

I'd have been cryin' like that on my living room floor had we lost the game....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Coach showing a lot of class in the moment. Beautiful thing to see these days.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

HiCat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:12 am
Coach showing a lot of class in the moment. Beautiful thing to see these days.
For me, this is one of the best images from last night and makes me really love Lloyd. We need more people Ike this.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

Sometimes fans forget these are just kids. Only one team really gets to celebrate when it’s all said and done.

Congrats Wildcat Nation in taking care of business. The nonsense about no call at end of game will die out. Part of he game.

Loved Lloyds call to double ball. Lloyd has calm demeanor in chaotic times….very focused. So far so good.

Good article in The Athletic

https://theathletic.com/3199725/2022/03 ... -wildcats/

beat Houston

#ALLWESTCOASTFINAL
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

ZagCatFan wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:06 am Sometimes fans forget these are just kids. Only one team really gets to celebrate when it’s all said and done.

Congrats Wildcat Nation in taking care of business. The nonsense about no call at end of game will die out. Part of he game.

Loved Lloyds call to double ball. Lloyd has calm demeanor in chaotic times….very focused. So far so good.

beat Houston

#ALLWESTCOASTFINAL
Can you paste a summary of the article, it has a paywall? If not, no biggie.
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

WildcatStunner wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:25 am
ZagCatFan wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:06 am Sometimes fans forget these are just kids. Only one team really gets to celebrate when it’s all said and done.

beat Houston

#ALLWESTCOASTFINAL
Can you paste a summary of the article, it has a paywall? If not, no biggie.
Lloyd has had his finger on the pulse of this team since he arrived in Tucson, able to connect the dots of the disconnected and find harmony where there had been friction. He often plops a pair of black-framed cheaters on his nose as he peruses a postgame box score, but his are not rose-colored glasses. He knows his team’s strengths; and he knows its weaknesses. The Wildcats need mayhem and energy and the freedom to play loosely and boldly and maybe even borderline obnoxiously. When they finally won, when Bennedict Mathurin and Christian Koloko delivered the cruelest of ironies to a Horned Frogs’ team that gobbled up 20 offensive rebounds by scoring the decisive OT buckets on putbacks, the Wildcats did not go dance in front of their home crowd. No, they waltzed directly over to the TCU section, lifted their hands in the air and waved. Like buh-bye.
This is who they are, a swashbuckling team that is so wonderfully young to not fret that sometimes you need to buckle down to win, and frustratingly too young to care that sometimes you need to buckle down to win. Arizona is a risk reward, the all-in on a craps table at a quarter past time to tuck in for the night.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

fucking Genius

went BIG last night (developed it all season) when he had too and called a masterful back door cut out of a AZ timeout at the 1:16 mark to Mathurin that had been in the bag set up all day by TCU overplay - god damn foul from behind but whatever.....

going pick n roll with Mathurin when it counts is also a stroke of Genius that he developed all year and his propensity to not give a flying fuck about hurt feelings or making someone uncomfortable as he sat Mathurin after a loose start to the game and sent Tubelis (two all conf performers) to the bench in order to get the TEAM a win.

man is a fucking Genius
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:59 am fucking Genius

went BIG last night (developed it all season) when he had too and called a masterful back door cut out of a AZ timeout at the 1:16 mark to Mathurin that had been in the bag set up all day by TCU overplay - god damn foul from behind but whatever.....

going pick n roll with Mathurin when it counts is also a stroke of Genius that he developed all year and his propensity to not give a flying fuck about hurt feelings or making someone uncomfortable as he sat Mathurin after a loose start to the game and sent Tubelis (two all conf performers) to the bench in order to get the TEAM a win.

man is a fucking Genius
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:59 am fucking Genius

man is a fucking Genius
And 97 is the Oracle of BDW.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Props to Lloyd. I always liked that Miller seemed to care about players, and it warms my heart to see that same spirit from Lloyd.

It's something that makes me proud as an Arizona fan. Good on Lloyd.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Coach looking like Dalen Terry out there
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Jefe wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:24 pm Coach looking like Dalen Terry out there
97cats

Post by 97cats »

re-watching the game and Lloyd calls timeout when Mathurin hits the three to tie the game at the end of regulation with 12.9 seconds left in the game. curious about learning his tendency if hes up one or two there does he call the timeout and why do you call it after the make & tie? nuances i may never discover but i wont stop searching for answers. seems TCU can set-up a play and gather but perhaps same for AZ it will take some convincing for me - in a tie situation he may want to set the defense. not sure i agree but it worked like a charm. Genius. anyway. have a nice evening.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:04 am re-watching the game and Lloyd calls timeout when Mathurin hits the three to tie the game at the end of regulation with 12.9 seconds left in the game. curious about learning his tendency if hes up one or two there does he call the timeout and why do you call it after the make & tie? nuances i may never discover but i wont stop searching for answers. seems TCU can set-up a play and gather but perhaps same for AZ it will take some convincing for me - in a tie situation he may want to set the defense. not sure i agree but it worked like a charm. Genius. anyway. have a nice evening.
Not sure if this answers your question, but listening to Coach Tommy at the 17 min mark explains his thinking with 12 seconds left. Says Az has a mobile group, Christian moves well with his feet, it was a flat trap situation (CK says he was scared), but Coach knew Miles was going to get the ball and would go left off a ball screen...so CTL thought to go for it. "I thought we had it.." sic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1uY91_0DLk
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 12:04 am re-watching the game and Lloyd calls timeout when Mathurin hits the three to tie the game at the end of regulation with 12.9 seconds left in the game. curious about learning his tendency if hes up one or two there does he call the timeout and why do you call it after the make & tie? nuances i may never discover but i wont stop searching for answers. seems TCU can set-up a play and gather but perhaps same for AZ it will take some convincing for me - in a tie situation he may want to set the defense. not sure i agree but it worked like a charm. Genius. anyway. have a nice evening.
I think a few things. Set the D is first. Second is to eliminate the potential that TCU gets a longer pass that puta us on the defensive.

Final thing is essentially to play call the D. What stuck out to me is we aggressively trapped the ball screen, which we usually did not. I'd assume Lloyd specifically called that, that if it's a high p&r, to trap the ballhandler. That can go well (TCU) or not so well (AZ/Ohio State 2013) but it very much looked like a designed coverage variation for the specific situation.
prh

Post by prh »

My thoughts as it unfolded: they had been killing our drop PnR coverage, everyone knew they were going to back to it, so that timeout is to put the trap coverage on and ENSURE everybody is on the same page, plus remind everyone of the time, no fouls, etc.

Plus, by calling that timeout, you remove a frenzy drive to the rim situation for TCU and make sure they'll be running that PnR 25 feet away
97cats

Post by 97cats »

prh wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:45 am My thoughts as it unfolded: they had been killing our drop PnR coverage, everyone knew they were going to back to it, so that timeout is to put the trap coverage on and ENSURE everybody is on the same page, plus remind everyone of the time, no fouls, etc.

Plus, by calling that timeout, you remove a frenzy drive to the rim situation for TCU and make sure they'll be running that PnR 25 feet away
great point(s) thank you and i agreed after the fact (twice) as i watched again last night but i still couldnt help but think it wasnt a good idea, even after i already had seen the outcome, and again as i watched it a second time it worked even tho i stil thought, man i dont like that...but Lloyd is who he is for a reason and it worked brilliantly sending the game into the extra session.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:45 am
My thoughts as it unfolded: they had been killing our drop PnR coverage, everyone knew they were going to back to it, so that timeout is to put the trap coverage on and ENSURE everybody is on the same page, plus remind everyone of the time, no fouls, etc.

I agree. I'll add I rewatched and noticed Benn's 3 could have easily been an And 1 with Koloko to the ft line because TCU basically tackled Koloko when Benn shook the screen and Koloko dove to the rim.
prh

Post by prh »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:48 am
prh wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:45 am My thoughts as it unfolded: they had been killing our drop PnR coverage, everyone knew they were going to back to it, so that timeout is to put the trap coverage on and ENSURE everybody is on the same page, plus remind everyone of the time, no fouls, etc.

great point(s) thank you and i agreed after the fact (twice) as i watched again last night but i still couldnt help but think it wasnt a good idea, even after i already had seen the outcome, and again as i watched it a second time it worked even tho i stil thought, man i dont like that...but Lloyd is who he is for a reason and it worked brilliantly sending the game into the extra session.
It's funny, over and over there are little things here and there that just don't make sense to us but ultimately work out. Like you say, the man is a genius. I think the biggest thing is that he just sticks to his plan, when most coaches switch it up. Ballo development, Larsson returning to form, in-game situations that make us uncomfortable because it's not what we are used to witnessing, but staying the course. It's like making a chalk bracket. It is maddening and feels uncomfortable but usually works out the best lol
97cats

Post by 97cats »

prh wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:56 am It's funny, over and over there are little things here and there that just don't make sense to us but ultimately work out. Like you say, the man is a genius. I think the biggest thing is that he just sticks to his plan, when most coaches switch it up. Ballo development, Larsson returning to form, in-game situations that make us uncomfortable because it's not what we are used to witnessing, but staying the course. It's like making a chalk bracket. It is maddening and feels uncomfortable but usually works out the best lol
i like this reasoning as it is a tad uncomfortable just cause its different, and it doesnt happen often, but he has some tendencies im warming up to.....
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

If the 'Cats make the Final Four, I'm going down to the barbershop and telling them "give me the Tommy Floyd."
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:49 am If the 'Cats make the Final Four, I'm going down to the barbershop and telling them "give me the Tommy Floyd."
Every man in America will be lining up for the Tommy Lloyd. There won't be a barber this side of the Atlantic who won't know what it means when a teary-eyed customer firmly says, "Give it to me."
97cats

Post by 97cats »

https://omny.fm/shows/the-jim-rome-show ... ommy-lloyd

"dudes" & "poor mans Arvydas Sabonis"

"i mean, im sitting at Lute Olson's fricking desk right now"

"not trying to be tricky down here in Tucson"

and Rome ends with the ceiling comment :lol: get off my NUTS!!
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:58 pm https://omny.fm/shows/the-jim-rome-show ... ommy-lloyd

"dudes" & "poor mans Arvydas Sabonis"

"i mean, im sitting at Lute Olson's fricking desk right now"

"not trying to be tricky down here in Tucson"

and Rome ends with the ceiling comment :lol: get off my NUTS!!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Rack him!
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Likes a cold PBR out of a cooler too 8-)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This last year must feel like a blur to Coach Lloyd. From being a little under the radar as one of our top coaching targets to getting this job offer to getting the roster sorted out to starting practices to starting the season on a tear...and so on. Now he's on the Jim Rome show a couple days before the S16, Pac reg season and tourney titles in hand. #1 seed in his region. It's unreal.

Let's get two in San Antonio, Tommy!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Fucking amazing chat. And Tolbert raiding Rome's mini bar in his wedding suite was hilarious.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

HiCat wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:01 pm
Now he's on the Jim Rome show
https://247sports.com/college/louisvill ... -10989890/
Little late to the party. Already posted.
prh

Post by prh »

Been a while since I've watched/listened to Rome, but there's a LONG history of immediate success for those that go on his show
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Apparently Sampson was on Rome as well. Wonder how the NCAA is going to handle the upcoming tie.
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:45 pm This last year must feel like a blur to Coach Lloyd. From being a little under the radar as one of our top coaching targets to getting this job offer to getting the roster sorted out to starting practices to starting the season on a tear...and so on. Now he's on the Jim Rome show a couple days before the S16, Pac reg season and tourney titles in hand. #1 seed in his region. It's unreal.

Let's get two in San Antonio, Tommy!
Lloyd was coach in waiting for a program that’s been to 7 consecutive Sweet 16 and 2 final fours in last 5 years.

I’d say he was more of co-coach at GU. Few’s never been fan of media interviews and usually allowed Lloyd or Michaelson to handle when he could get away with it.

Arizona fans I’m sure are shocked at the rise of Lloyd but Gonzaga fans aren’t.

Lloyd was very important piece in building Gonzaga foundation.

I see a very confident Lloyd thinks he’s got a natty team and will push these players to their limit. Getting to Sweet 16 is not his goal.

GO CATS.