Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by Macho Grande »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Thanks Tommy Boy. He knows a ton of that goes to Lute, Sean, and Tucson itself. But now that he's driving the bus and getting all the traffic tickets, he also gets the props.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

On if this was the best defensive performance of his tenure: “I would say the best defensive weekend. I think you put the two games together, I think it was our best defense.”

On what he said to get the defense better: “I just told the guys, like, I’m tired of them sitting back. Start out possessions tough. Make it hard early in the possession and then ride it out. You don’t want to be a team that plays the first 10 seconds of the shot clock kind of soft and conservative and then think you can amp it up. From Jump Street let’s go. That was my message.”

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... pac12-2023
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Macho Grande wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:37 pm
…and to think, with two minutes left in the game, we had held them to them to only 44 points.

Great job Cats!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

I’m very happy we have Tommy as our coach and feel our program’s future is bright!
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I heard Matt Muelhbach in an interview and he basically said Lloyd is going to do monster type things here at Arizona. It was said in such a way that the best is yet to come and that he knew about the vision Lloyd has.

We have been fortunate to get a guy like Miller and then this guy to lead our program
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Some wins are primarily talent with some coaching added. Seems like the UCLA win was primarily coaching with some talent added.

Thataway Tom!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We had some bigtime recruits in from NBA Africa for the UCLA game. That was probably an eye opener and hopefully added to our recruitment buzz. Still think their is some doubt about CTL but wins like Saturday will wash that away. Also slows/stops any type of negative recruitment based on his accomplishments as a head coach.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Tommy is well on his way to being one of the first names people think of when the question gets asked: "Can long-time assistant coaches with zero HC coaching experience do well as HCs?"
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Moving Pelle to the 6th man role midseason was a great move
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Haven't seen this elsewhere. After the mid-season firing of Chris Beard at Texas, there was some speculation that they might come after Lloyd, and how-oh-how could we ever hope to compete with all of their money. Meanwhile, Lloyd's parents just closed this week on a second house in Tucson, so they can watch his team play during the basketball season, and also see more of him and their grandkids. You can say that jumping into real estate to diversify your investments is just a good move, and Tucson is a pretty good place to do it. But having gone through all of that during the past year, it's also a big pain. Anyway, there's no doubt in my mind that if it was just about investment, Dale and Lisa Lloyd would have found some much easier to manage real estate a lot closer to their other home in Kelso, Washington (30 miles north of Portland.) And if they're just trying to get out of the winter cold in their golden years, there's California, Nevada, Phoenix, and plenty of other warm weather places. Yeah, you can always sell and buy something in Austin, but then why do this right now if that was any possibility? I think we can definitely take this situation as a long-term Lloyd family commitment to Arizona Basketball. Enough money can change a lot of things, but after you reach a certain level, that's not the end-all/be-all for some people. And thank God for that.
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

All I know is that IF Texas wants Tommy Lloyd and they back up the Brinks truck for him, we will find out real soon if AZ is really his dream job, because we won't be able to match the $. I really hope it is...
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

CTL is not a guy looking for a better job

Arizona is not a truck stop
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Tommy’s daughter is a freshman at the U.

I don’t see him moving anytime soon.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Doing my part...
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Fkn UCLA would lose their minds if Alford got coach of the year.....pay to see that.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

He'll be over 60 before the NCAA tourney!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Who doesn’t???
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

We get Sonoran dogs every visit to Tucson. Even when my daughter was in San Antonio, she used to get them there. They would ship the buns in from Tucson every night.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

He just tied Guthridge for most wins in first 2 seasons with 58.

Nice work. I am so glad he's here. He gets over 60 and that one will last a few years.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Amazing stat and should give us pause to be thankful after the shitshow created by ESPN on our program.

Now Tommy, it would be nice to break the record on Saturday against that other LA school. Icing on the cake...
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:57 am He just tied Guthridge for most wins in first 2 seasons with 58.

Nice work. I am so glad he's here. He gets over 60 and that one will last a few years.
Don't forget that new Duke Coach has done something no other coach has done at Duke in like 70 years.... He got 20 wins in his first season as coach! Even Coach K couldn't do that. ...and he had to do that with only having like twelve 5 star players on the team. All the others off the bench are only 4 stars. Hands down he should be national coach of the year.

(sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, just trying to put this into prospective from the espin angle)

If we beat UCLA on Saturday, Lloyd should be conference coach of the year AGAIN. Way to go Coach.

Go Cats!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

DIE TROLLOPS! DIE! DIE! FUCKING DIE!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

CTL has done an amazing job despite the mess the guy before him left. However, he, like the guy before him, inherited a well established college basketball brand. Neither of them had to rebuild the program that Lute built from the ground up. Again Tommy has done an amazing job and is so much more likeable than the guy before him but I'm still not convinced he can recruit like the guy before him. Of course as we all know, the guy before him was operating with a much larger player payroll so we must take that into account.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Captain Obvious wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:37 pm CTL has done an amazing job despite the mess the guy before him left. However, he, like the guy before him, inherited a well established college basketball brand. Neither of them had to rebuild the program that Lute built from the ground up. Again Tommy has done an amazing job and is so much more likeable than the guy before him but I'm still not convinced he can recruit like the guy before him. Of course as we all know, the guy before him was operating with a much larger player payroll so we must take that into account.
You should go back to predicting things and immediately being proven stupid.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:39 pm We get Sonoran dogs every visit to Tucson. Even when my daughter was in San Antonio, she used to get them there. They would ship the buns in from Tucson every night.
I’ve heard of them. They are a couple from T-Town who missed Sonoran Dogs, so they started making them there.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 12:37 pm CTL has done an amazing job despite the mess the guy before him left. However, he, like the guy before him, inherited a well established college basketball brand. Neither of them had to rebuild the program that Lute built from the ground up. Again Tommy has done an amazing job and is so much more likeable than the guy before him but I'm still not convinced he can recruit like the guy before him. Of course as we all know, the guy before him was operating with a much larger player payroll so we must take that into account.
No I think you're wrong. Our payroll is limitless. Yes I agree the guy before him only left 3 NBA players when it could have been 5.
AztoCa

Post by AztoCa »

may the Bear Be Down! :D
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

King of Tucson
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:06 am King of Tucson
He ended his interview during the post-game celebration with BTFD!
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

You didn't know he was on the Bingham township fire department? ;)
-Norlander.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

VegasCatFan wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:27 am
AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:06 am King of Tucson
He ended his interview during the post-game celebration with BTFD!
Both Lloyd and Jedd's wife sportin' "BTFD" in Vegas!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

That’s hilarious.

Especially since you have to be an Arizona fan to know what it means.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My dad is a huge UA fan and didn't know what it meant.

I have 2 brothers who are also alums, although not sports fans, and one thought it was for a fire department.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

It’s message board culture come to life.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

It's available for purchase!
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

AZ Assist is all money spent there goes to NLI, I think.

Cool shirt good cause.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I’ll take two in every color.
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Awesome video. Brought back soooo many memories. Thanks for posting, ZagCatFan
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

That video shows a true athletic gap between then and now. Some of those guys were unbelievably athletic and the montage shows them in full glory.
This team wins in a different way. I enjoy the way they play. They also have a true joy playing together and enjoy each other's success. They have shown a lot of their personality which I have truly found refreshing. They joke and kid with each other and Tommy and he gives as well as he takes. Games aren't life and death with Tommy and the disconnect with the press and their questions has made this even more apparent. His motto is I'll do my best and give it my all. What more could you want.
Last edited by TheCat on Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I do miss the alley-oop dunks with our freakish athletic players.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

No more trams full of Euros Tommy
RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:01 pm Euro's are soft man

1 or 2 are good, anymore and they play soft like this