Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ZagCatFan

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by ZagCatFan »

CTL will never leave Arizona unless he’s fired ….IMHO.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not now with his big raise and buyout!

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Man I should really wait to make my rap picks, watch Boz go nuts all over assu tomorrow.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Keep those bonuses coming...
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Also, Tommy isn't going to win Pac COY, and that's a crime.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:47 pm Also, Tommy isn't going to win Pac COY, and that's a crime.
Just like Lute & Sean, he’s now a victim of high expectations. Nevermind that he had to revamp the roster, incorporate a bunch of transfers and freshmen, lost 4 starters, and yet somehow has this team right back at the top.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:54 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:47 pm Also, Tommy isn't going to win Pac COY, and that's a crime.
Just like Lute & Sean, he’s now a victim of high expectations. Nevermind that he had to revamp the roster, incorporate a bunch of transfers and freshmen, lost 4 starters, and yet somehow has this team right back at the top.
RJ said the pressure is on Tommy ..... post regular season pressure to reach new heights for his tenure.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Nobody puts more pressure or has higher expectations than Tommy. Post season is the type of pressure you want.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:03 pm RJ said the pressure is on Tommy ..... post regular season pressure to reach new heights for his tenure.
RJ sure wasn't mixing his words about it. You can tell it hurts.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I mean, Tommy now bears the weight of Arizona's decades-long Final Four dryspell. But we're talking about a guy who has now won the Pac in two of his first three years as our coach. Tommy is doing very well.

If we don't get to the Final Four this year, in Tommy's third season as coach, I can't really blame him for that. He's doing a fantastic job, and he's on a nice trajectory. If we get to, say, year seven of his tenure, and he's racked up multiple first/second round losses in the tourney, then I'd be concerned.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The first iteration of his guys was very successful. If he makes a run then fantastic. I think getting at least to the second weekend is important but past the 16 is all gravy to me.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:41 pm I mean, Tommy now bears the weight of Arizona's decades-long Final Four dryspell. But we're talking about a guy who has now won the Pac in two of his first three years as our coach. Tommy is doing very well.
Only speaking for myself, and a few others, it's all about the NCAA tourney, period. Who really gives a shit about regular season or conference tourney championships? We are not ASU.

If Lloyd has an early flameout again, I expect some of this from Tucson pundits.
Merkin wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:22 pm Someone posted this on Facebook. Pretty uncalled for especially how the movie ended up.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

^^^^ Old joke from that time when Lute had a restaurant:

Guys walks into Olson's on Broadway and orders a drink. After finishing his first drink, he asks for another.

Bartender says he can't have one. The man asks why.

"I'm sorry sir. Here at Olson's you have to leave after the first round."
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I’ve heard that one.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:56 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:41 pm I mean, Tommy now bears the weight of Arizona's decades-long Final Four dryspell. But we're talking about a guy who has now won the Pac in two of his first three years as our coach. Tommy is doing very well.
Only speaking for myself, and a few others, it's all about the NCAA tourney, period. Who really gives a shit about regular season or conference tourney championships? We are not ASU.

If Lloyd has an early flameout again, I expect some of this from Tucson pundits.
Merkin wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:22 pm Someone posted this on Facebook. Pretty uncalled for especially how the movie ended up.

Merk, no one can disagree with this. But are you ready to move on from Lloyd if he doesn't win two games in this year's tourney? That was my only point. That I'm unsure we should be shouting "Final Four or bust!" in this guy's third year of being a head coach.

He's lost once in the first round and once in the Sweet Sixteen. He has to do better, and I believe he will. Just not sure if it happens this month.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:45 pm But are you ready to move on from Lloyd if he doesn't win two games in this year's tourney?
Heck no, Lloyd's a keeper. He'll get there, he is still learning too.

Already running a deeper bench than he did last season.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:10 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:45 pm But are you ready to move on from Lloyd if he doesn't win two games in this year's tourney?

The main reason I'm not more sanguine heading into the postseason is because this team has shown, repeatedly, that they can simply not show up at times. It hasn't happened often, but it's happened enough -- Stanford, OSU, the first WSU loss, and yesterday -- to make this wearied, ever more cynical Arizona fan a little less enthusiastic than usual. On its best day, this AZ team is right there with this year's elite. We've seen this version of our team many times this season, and it's why a lot of people will pick AZ to get deep. And maybe they will.

But we can't have any more games where we don't show up, obviously. Caleb has to let his shots come to him rather than launching a 3 every time he gets the ball outside the arc. Kylan has to take care of the ball, as he can but doesn't always. Oumar has to convert his easy looks and avoid foul trouble, which he does most of the time. Pelle has to attack the basket and try to get to the FT line. And we need timely contributions from our bench players. It's a lot to ask, but it's what happens en route to a Final Four. We gotta catch some luck, and we're due.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Getting to the second weekend should be achievable. And with Caleb and Keyshad this year we should be mentally stronger in the Tourney.
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:43 pm

The main reason I'm not more sanguine heading into the postseason is because this team has shown, repeatedly, that they can simply not show up at times. It hasn't happened often, but it's happened enough -- Stanford, OSU, the first WSU loss, and yesterday -- to make this wearied, ever more cynical Arizona fan a little less enthusiastic than usual. On its best day, this AZ team is right there with this year's elite. We've seen this version of our team many times this season, and it's why a lot of people will pick AZ to get deep. And maybe they will.

But we can't have any more games where we don't show up, obviously. Caleb has to let his shots come to him rather than launching a 3 every time he gets the ball outside the arc. Kylan has to take care of the ball, as he can but doesn't always. Oumar has to convert his easy looks and avoid foul trouble, which he does most of the time. Pelle has to attack the basket and try to get to the FT line. And we need timely contributions from our bench players. It's a lot to ask, but it's what happens en route to a Final Four. We gotta catch some luck, and we're due.
I agree with your sentiments.

I think our tourney success will come down to our guard play and that’s what I am very nervous about. Not only do we need some fast break points from quick passes up the court, but Kylan needs to be tactically aggressive by attacking any slow paced teams we play and attack the basket for easy scores and/or fouls, before the opposition can settle into their half court defense. I watched Kylan do this very sparingly this season, but it’s clear he can do it.
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

LuteIsGod wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:24 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:43 pm

I agree with your sentiments.

I think our tourney success will come down to our guard play and that’s what I am very nervous about. Not only do we need some fast break points from quick passes up the court, but Kylan needs to be tactically aggressive by attacking any slow paced teams we play and attack the basket for easy scores and/or fouls, before the opposition can settle into their half court defense. I watched Kylan do this very sparingly this season, but it’s clear he can do it.
Most good teams are effectively going to force halfcourt basketball. That's a fact - we're not gonna win deep into the tourney because of fast break dominance.

USC was excellent on defense, forced us into a perimeter game, and we brokedown because we relied too much on dribble penetration. (Remember Mick Cronin's postgame whining Thursday: "They beat us off the dribble. They didn't really "run" anything because we couldn't stop them.") USC made 15 steals and scored 14 points off U of A turnovers!!! They forced us out of that style, and we basically responded with turnovers and unassisted three-attempts. That won't get you anywhere in the Tourney...

BUT!! We did do a great job of getting offensive rebounds (9 in the first half; 14 total! That resulted in ZERO points).

These shortcomings ARE NOT due to tired players. We're as well-conditioned as anyone.

These shortcomings ARE NOT due to lazy players. We played hard.

These shortcomings ARE NOT due solely to poor individual play. It's not just "the guards" - creating your own three-point shots is much lower percentage than catch-and-shoot three-pointers; dribbling into a well organized and athletic defense is high risk - over-dribbling must be replaced with good crisp passing, movement off-the-ball, and converting in the lane.

These shortcomings ARE due to unfocused players that heretofore can beat most teams with individual talent alone. Unfortunately, often for entire halves, sometimes whole games, the 'Cats become LESS THAN THE SUM OF THEIR PARTS.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

In case anyone needed a reminder on what an amazing man Tommy Lloyd is.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Winger

Post by Winger »

Howdy.

Hoping to join in here and this seemed like a good thread to use to say hello. Recognize many of your names from GoAzCats which is cool.

FTR, I should have come here the day GoAzCats died but there was a reason I felt I couldn’t. No longer applies.

For those of you who are unhappy with the Lloyd hire, I am unaware that anyone pushed the Arizona AD harder to hire him than me, right from the outset and all through the process, as I could. In that sense, I apologize, haha.

For those of you that are bummed that Fisch bailed, you should know that Arizona could not have got more lucky, and that has nothing to do with Brennan.

Not sure on the new AD yet, like Brennan that is TBD, but she is all business it seems. Never been a big Robbins guy, though he is fun to be around, but this seems to be a solid hire at this point. Fwiw, Heeke was absolutely blindsided by being axed, had zero clue it was coming, and he was shell shocked and more than a little pissed off.

Oh, and Spiff, Robbins wanted to fire Miller dating to at least to that fateful Romar weekend in Oregon. As I heard it the money basically wouldn’t let him.

Anywhoo, howdy and am looking forward to joining in, until I get banned lol.

W
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Glad to have you back Winger! Always missed your insights.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Welcome back Winger. I enjoy your posts and interacting with you over at WA during the periods I have subscribed and welcome back to Tucson. (actually since we chatted about both of us moving from Denver to Tucson we moved up to Phoenix where we both grew up)

Spiff isn't here anymore. He bailed after a thread in the lower boards got too heated for him.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Boy did beardownwildcats just got better today with the return of Winger!!

Not upset with Lloyd st all. Know great things will happen eventually

Would love to hear more of Fisch. I bought his stuff hook, line and sinker. Being the 33rd NFL team, the social media stuff and watching us rise back up was my drug. Bummed he was two faced and would love to hear more. Feel free to PM me if it can’t be put out in public 😃
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I have a relative who is very involved in Tucson sports and interacts with a lot of U of A people. He told me 3 years ago that CTL was about players and the school. Fisch was about Fisch. I believed him at first but Fisch got me to buy in to his snake oil. Oh well. Hope Brennan can keep it going.

Welcome back Winger.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I swear I posted this so if there is a duplicate somewhere, I apologize.

CTL is more like Tomey than RichRod.

Maybe he needs an O’Neil on the staff?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:20 am CTL is more like Tomey than RichRod.
Good comparison. With Tomey you couldn't tell by his expression whether the UA gave up a pick 6, or just scored on a pick 6.
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Winger wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:32 am Howdy.

Hoping to join in here and this seemed like a good thread to use to say hello. Recognize many of your names from GoAzCats which is cool.

FTR, I should have come here the day GoAzCats died but there was a reason I felt I couldn’t. No longer applies.

For those of you who are unhappy with the Lloyd hire, I am unaware that anyone pushed the Arizona AD harder to hire him than me, right from the outset and all through the process, as I could. In that sense, I apologize, haha.

For those of you that are bummed that Fisch bailed, you should know that Arizona could not have got more lucky, and that has nothing to do with Brennan.

Not sure on the new AD yet, like Brennan that is TBD, but she is all business it seems. Never been a big Robbins guy, though he is fun to be around, but this seems to be a solid hire at this point. Fwiw, Heeke was absolutely blindsided by being axed, had zero clue it was coming, and he was shell shocked and more than a little pissed off.

Oh, and Spiff, Robbins wanted to fire Miller dating to at least to that fateful Romar weekend in Oregon. As I heard it the money basically wouldn’t let him.

W
Welcome back winger!
Been a long time lurker here as well, and started reading back in the GoAZCats days as well!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Winger!!!
Winger

Post by Winger »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:05 am Boy did beardownwildcats just got better today with the return of Winger!!

Not upset with Lloyd st all. Know great things will happen eventually

Would love to hear more of Fisch. I bought his stuff hook, line and sinker. Being the 33rd NFL team, the social media stuff and watching us rise back up was my drug. Bummed he was two faced and would love to hear more. Feel free to PM me if it can’t be put out in public 😃
Here are a couple to give you an idea:

Arizona put an extension on Fisch’s desk (despite my objections lol) very early on in season 2 and he refused to sign it until after the season.

Because: he was looking at other jobs. He almost took a NFL OC position but didn’t because “the money was neutral”.

He obviously did the same thing this past season, including, in exchange foe their help soliciting funds for his raise, shaking both Humberto’s and Kinerk’s hands that it was a done deal if they got the money.

Which they did.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Basically lied right to the faces of the boosters, fans and the people in the AD. Strange he couldn’t get out fast enough? Not like he didn’t have the talent snd chops to have several more winning seasons in a row. What did he hate so much about Arizona that he would want to bail so quick (season 2 for a OC job). Sounds like the 10-3 caught him by surprise
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fisch looked Akina right in the eye, shook his hand, and lied to his face. That's straight from the source.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Fisch really is a topic for the Football|Arch Rivals thread. Shouldn't contaminate the CTL thread with that buzzkill.

Just sayin'...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

azcat49 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:11 am Basically lied right to the faces of the boosters, fans and the people in the AD. Strange he couldn’t get out fast enough? Not like he didn’t have the talent snd chops to have several more winning seasons in a row. What did he hate so much about Arizona that he would want to bail so quick (season 2 for a OC job). Sounds like the 10-3 caught him by surprise
^^^This ^^^ is what I don't understand. Colin Cowherd said that right about the time RichRod had his Fiesta Bowl year (2014-2015), Fisch went on the record saying that Arizona was his dream job. Cowherd and Fisch have been friends for years. This was way before the fallout from RichRod and Sumlin.

Fisch said that Arizona had all the tools to be an SEC caliber destination school. The money's nice up in Seattle, but he could have gotten an NFL head coaching gig if we went deep in the CFP playoffs this year. His stock would have been through the roof. Don't get it, but he's gonna learn that the grass isn't always greener...
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

What he does is more important than what he says.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Sorry PC.

Winger mentioned something about it was good for AZ that he left. Maybe there is more?
Last edited by Postmaster on Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Winger wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:32 am Howdy.

W
Hey Winger. I too would really like to know why you say we got lucky by Fisch leaving. Scratching my head at that.

Of course your return is epic! Getting some insight on Fisch would make it epic(er)

Thanks and again, welcome back!!
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
Winger

Post by Winger »

Dragger I will put something in the football forum tonight so I do not further litter this thread.
Winger

Post by Winger »

Winger wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:09 pm Dragger I will put something in the football forum tonight so I do not further litter this thread.
Ok folks it's up. I hope it is worth the 2 minutes it will take you to read it. If it isn't feel free to hit me with some constructive criticism.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beastie Boys? Really?

Not a fan myself, but I guess I can see it.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

He said the same to Bilas.

Glad the man has impeccable taste.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Saw something last year about that.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Some of those have to be their kids answering, right?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I just walked into northern pine brewing in Oceanside, ca. Beastie Boys was playing. Obviously that means CTL will be making his first final 4 this year.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Tom has to assert himself and have the nuts to bench Boswell and start Bradley. I really think our chances of winning increase without Boswell as this point. No more Mr. Nice Guy. You have to put your team in the best possible situation to win. Never let the inmates run the asylum.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Captain Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:52 pm Tom has to assert himself and have the nuts to bench Boswell and start Bradley. I really think our chances of winning increase without Boswell as this point. No more Mr. Nice Guy. You have to put your team in the best possible situation to win. Never let the inmates run the asylum.
Okay, CO. Enough with the "our" this and "we" that.

You're not part of this fan base, and your application, while given some consideration, has now been formally rejected.

Go ahead and root for UNC. Easier for you and for us.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

Was it really necessary for CO to smear his feces about the same thing in two separate threads?