Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCat

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by TheCat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:52 pm Tom has to assert himself and have the nuts to bench Boswell and start Bradley. I really think our chances of winning increase without Boswell as this point. No more Mr. Nice Guy. You have to put your team in the best possible situation to win. Never let the inmates run the asylum.
Capt. O has not been wrong this year so I think what he says is gospel.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

It may be time to ban him to Arch Rivals.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

His anti AZ predictions usually lead to a win.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

His every prediction is anti-AZ.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Chicat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:00 pm
Heard this on the radio. Love how Tommy called LBSU out like that. It was a real asshole thing to do. Fuck that school for screwing him over.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I was a CSU employee (LBSU is a CSU school) for many years. Monson will most certainly get a retirement and health insurance for life.

Like in AZ, in CA coaching staff at state universities are state employees.

15 years service, and over 50 years old and you are 100% vested.
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:16 pm I was a CSU employee (LBSU is a CSU school) for many years. Monson will most certainly get a retirement and health insurance for life.

So that would mean Mark Few and CTL went in front of national media and lied after just having dinner with Monson.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

What Merkin said I can say with 100% certainty is true for AZ state employees...and I would imagine it is true in CA too.

I completely feel for Monson... but I think he is going to be just fine
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ZagCatFan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:51 pm
Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:16 pm I was a CSU employee (LBSU is a CSU school) for many years. Monson will most certainly get a retirement and health insurance for life.

So that would mean Mark Few and CTL went in front of national media and lied after just having dinner with Monson.
I think most coaching contracts include much more favorable buy outs, etc. than merely "retirement and health insurance for life", and that they think he's getting screwed on that count...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Was it the final year of his contract and they didn’t give him a new one?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Postmaster wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:36 am Was it the final year of his contract and they didn’t give him a new one?
Yes
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:52 pm Tom has to assert himself and have the nuts to bench Boswell and start Bradley. I really think our chances of winning increase without Boswell as this point. No more Mr. Nice Guy. You have to put your team in the best possible situation to win. Never let the inmates run the asylum.
Thankyou Capt O for getting Boswell out of his mini slump. You never miss picking a winner.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:56 am
Postmaster wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:36 am Was it the final year of his contract and they didn’t give him a new one?
Yes

So he doesn't get an extra year or two of pay for doing nothing and has to go on COBRA just like the rest of us would have to do if we got fired?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:41 am
Yes

So he doesn't get an extra year or two of pay for doing nothing and has to go on COBRA just like the rest of us would have to do if we got fired?
He coached LBSU for 17 years, and as Tommy pointed out he has kids in college. It's a shitty thing to do. You'd expect these smaller schools to show more loyalty than that.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

AZCatGirl wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:46 am
Yes

He coached LBSU for 17 years, and as Tommy pointed out he has kids in college. It's a shitty thing to do. You'd expect these smaller schools to show more loyalty than that.
Think he is especially pissed that this Dbag new AD at LBSU wanted to get Monson out, and hire his buddy from San Diego as coach - and then tried to take some kind of credit for them going on a run to the tourney
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Contract running out - no renewal on the table - "Muns" must be pretty dense if he did not see the handwriting on the wall and act accordingly.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

As someone who just got laid off and was given 2 weeks severance pay....It's hard to feel too bad
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Yes

I am still not buying it. If you have 10 years in working for the CSU and are at least 50 years old you are fully vested in getting a pension and health coverage for life.

https://hr.sdsu.edu/benefits/retirement-benefits
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:04 pm
Yes

I am still not buying it. If you have 10 years in working for the CSU and are at least 50 years old you are fully vested in getting a pension and health coverage for life.

I have many friends in NM that worked careers in state government. Many switched to higher paying, but less interesting/enjoyable jobs for their final three years, because their pension was calculated on their average salary in those "last three".

So, if state pension is calculated based upon actual salary, are you suggesting that a basketball coach's pension would be based on their exorbitant contracted salary? Or, might there be some maximum for such circumstances?

He did agree to a "mutual seperation", in part so he could coach the team in the conference and postseason tourneys. Might those circumstances be different than more typical arrangements for your average long-tenured coaches?

Didn't CSM's termination happen in a similar way (I. e., contract expired) precisely to save money for the U??
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

No CSM was dismissed but not for cause which meant they had to pay his salary.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

TheCat wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:28 pm No CSM was dismissed but not for cause which meant they had to pay his salary.
So, I actually looked it up (overcoming my typical laziness and procrastination) - he had one year left on his contract at the end of his last season (which, IMNSHO, was the "handwriting on the wall")

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ ... 124947002/
Miller is under contract through the 2021-22 season. He makes $2.5 million plus $200,000 each from Nike and IMG. By terminating him without cause, the university is on the hook for 50% of his remaining pay. Heeke said the buyout will come from athletic revenues, not tax dollars nor the university's general fund.
Dismissing him "without cause" caused the 50% payout; He was dismissed a day after failing to reach any agreement with Heeke & Robins the prior day; a "for cause" termination would have meant no payout, but, almost certainly, expensive litigation.
Stadium's Jeff Goodman first reported the news.

He reported that Miller met with Arizona president Robert C. Robbins and Heeke on Tuesday night, but didn't come to a conclusion regarding his future with the program.

He reported that upon meeting again on Wednesday morning, the school decided to "part ways" with Miller.
The reporting on LBSU & Monson suggest to me that they had a similar meeting and agreed to mutual agreement (and, Monson coaching through the postseason).

― Kinky Friedman
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I don't think there was any mutual agreement with Miller. They refused to extend him and decided to go in another direction. I loved coach Miller but he and the university were so damaged by the ESPN and others that both parties needed a break. Sean learned a lot in that year as his offense looks nothing like the early days at Arizona. X pace of play is not bad when compared to his early days at Arizona.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

TheCat wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:32 am I don't think there was any mutual agreement with Miller. They refused to extend him and decided to go in another direction. I loved coach Miller but he and the university were so damaged by the ESPN and others that both parties needed a break. Sean learned a lot in that year as his offense looks nothing like the early days at Arizona. X pace of play is not bad when compared to his early days at Arizona.
Maybe you should reread my post...

― Kinky Friedman
ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

Congrats CTL!

SWEET 16
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Good adjustment by Tommy today. We have given him shit when we lose so you have to give him credit today to make the adjustment and get the win
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

ZagCatFan wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:03 pm Congrats CTL!

SWEET 16
Good luck against Kansas! We're all rooting for you!
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

SWEET 16
Thanks man. Great job by CTL.

Go kick Kansas’ ass for us.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:06 pm

SWEET 16
Good luck against Kansas! We're all rooting for you!
True, except for two trolls
-JB
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

SWEET 16
We are all Gonzaga fans today!
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

84Cat wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:05 pm Good adjustment by Tommy today. We have given him shit when we lose so you have to give him credit today to make the adjustment and get the win
Yes, was a great adjustment. Glad he realized we were going to get abused by pick and roll with Ballo out there and went small ball.

Defense looked great and gave us some great looks on offense as well
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

TheCat wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:32 am I loved coach Miller but he and the university were so damaged by the ESPN and others that both parties needed a break.
Woah.

/thumbs up
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Did Tommy really slap the floor before Dayton went on that 10-0 run?
Winger

Post by Winger »

Never heard about any agreement. Did hear Robbins was ready to move on Miller immediately after the Romar - Oregon weekend.

Imo this was a pretty big week for Lloyd to get through. His seat isnt hot but a third flameout may have got people talking and his AD is no longer there.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Women aside this has been a great day.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I fucking love everything about Tommy Lloyd
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:04 pm
Merkin wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:04 pm
Yes

I have many friends in NM that worked careers in state government. Many switched to higher paying, but less interesting/enjoyable jobs for their final three years, because their pension was calculated on their average salary in those "last three".

So, if state pension is calculated based upon actual salary, are you suggesting that a basketball coach's pension would be based on their exorbitant contracted salary? Or, might there be some maximum for such circumstances?

He did agree to a "mutual seperation", in part so he could coach the team in the conference and postseason tourneys. Might those circumstances be different than more typical arrangements for your average long-tenured coaches?

Didn't CSM's termination happen in a similar way (I. e., contract expired) precisely to save money for the U??
CDM was making somewhere between $275-$300. No where near Lisa Rulney money.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:08 pm I fucking love everything about Tommy Lloyd
S16 in two of his first three seasons, and he's got us on the threshold of an E8 right now.

BTFD!

Watching games from Austin, TX, this weekend. Incredible city if any of ya'll haven't been before.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Tommy is going to break all kinds of records at the UA. He's the perfect fit here.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Winger wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:37 pm Imo this was a pretty big week for Lloyd to get through. His seat isnt hot but a third flameout may have got people talking and his AD is no longer there.
This makes me lose my mind a little bit.

Even with two pac titles in 3 years and the most wins ever by a coach in his first two years of coaching, people “might have got talking”?

/shakes head
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SCCats wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:37 pm
Winger wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:37 pm Imo this was a pretty big week for Lloyd to get through. His seat isnt hot but a third flameout may have got people talking and his AD is no longer there.
This makes me lose my mind a little bit.

Even with two pac titles in 3 years and the most wins ever by a coach in his first two years of coaching, people “might have got talking”?

/shakes head
Same reflection over here. Big money needs to chill, CTL could be the second coming of Lute for this generation.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'm not getting the possible third flameout when he made the Sweet 16 in his first year.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:24 pm I'm not getting the possible third flameout when he made the Sweet 16 in his first year.
Yeah and got a grossly underseeded Houston team and had to play them in Texas.
-JB
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:26 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:24 pm I'm not getting the possible third flameout when he made the Sweet 16 in his first year.
Yeah and got a grossly underseeded Houston team and had to play them in Texas.
Yep that was just a really tough matchup for us, think we would have had a great shot against most any other team in field that year
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Winger wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:37 pm Never heard about any agreement. Did hear Robbins was ready to move on Miller immediately after the Romar - Oregon weekend.

Imo this was a pretty big week for Lloyd to get through. His seat isnt hot but a third flameout may have got people talking and his AD is no longer there.
Yeah let's threaten the job of the coach with the third most wins in NCAA history in 3 years who has won two conference titles and tournament championships. LOL. Well Winger not your day.
Winger

Post by Winger »

Think maybe you all are misunderstanding.

No one is a bigger Lloyd guy than me. I did what I could make sure Arizona hired him.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Weird to think the big money boosters were all behind Miller when things went south but thought it would be a good idea to heat up Lloyds seat if he lost today.

Winger, I think we all get your stance, well except thecat, I think we all don’t get the big money.

Couldn’t be happier with the leadership of the basketball program. Hopefully we get to Glendale and any talk at all is squashed
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

My issue with Houston was that we played TCU the game before, which was basically Houston-light. The team didn’t seem to make any adjustments between the games to deal with that style of play.

But, to be fair, I expect the Cats to win every game.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Winger

Post by Winger »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:31 pm Weird to think the big money boosters were all behind Miller when things went south but thought it would be a good idea to heat up Lloyds seat if he lost today.

Winger, I think we all get your stance, well except thecat, I think we all don’t get the big money.

Couldn’t be happier with the leadership of the basketball program. Hopefully we get to Glendale and any talk at all is squashed
Miller cultivated a couple of the boosters. I do not know if the same holds for Lloyd, yet. Bottom line is that you have to win in the NCAA tournament at Arizona and until yesterday Lloyd’s record is pretty poor. Had the flameouts to Houston and to Princeton and he was almost 4 games under PASE in 2 NCAA tournaments. He also, particularly prior to this season, plays a foreign-player heavy roster, which especially for Euros, hasnt been shown to be effective, and in that regard is charting new waters a bit. Or, was.