Tommy Lloyd

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: Tommy Lloyd

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Of fucking course. If there is any way to optimize for tragedy we will relentlessly dig until we uncover it.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Isn’t the school bound to 5 years maximum on a contract?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:35 pm
Merkin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:28 pm
Not worried.
You fucking should be. Tommy said in public he did not come to Arizona to be part of a budget crisis when asked right after the shortfall was announced.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I refuse to believe the school would jeopardize Lloyd’s contract.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:19 pm I refuse to believe the school would jeopardize Lloyd’s contract.
Our school is the poster child for mismanagement.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

TheCat wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:42 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:35 pm
Merkin wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:28 pm
Not worried.
You fucking should be. Tommy said in public he did not come to Arizona to be part of a budget crisis when asked right after the shortfall was announced.
He wasn't being serious when he said that.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:19 pm I refuse to believe the school would jeopardize Lloyd’s contract.
Well they're not taking the extension to ABOR and setting up an emergency meeting for our new football coach's contract (but wouldn't/couldn't for Jedd) should give pause to any coach currently or considering employment here. Plus there are no long term deals in Arizona.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

TheCat wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:17 am
Well they're not taking the extension to ABOR and setting up an emergency meeting for our new football coach's contract (but wouldn't/couldn't for Jedd) should give pause to any coach currently or considering employment here. Plus there are no long term deals in Arizona.
That's incorrect, define long term deal. I actually think a 5 year contract is considered a long term deal. Just need to renew yearly an up it each year by a bit.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

MountainCat wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:24 am
TheCat wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 12:17 am
That's incorrect, define long term deal. I actually think a 5 year contract is considered a long term deal. Just need to renew yearly an up it each year by a bit.
5 years is not now considered long term. 7 and in some cases 10 is long term and becoming the standard in some places. I agree an automatic roll of the contract is beneficial but you always have standards associated with that like winning percentage, time commitments for outside community/fundraising etc..
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

THE ISSUE OF THE WHOLE UNIVERSITY HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH TOMMY LLOYD'S CONTRACT AND FUTURE EXTENSIONS BESIDES THE PROFESSORS WHO LEAKED BAD INFO TO THE MEDIA BITCHING FOR A FEW DAYS
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Is bad info like bad fans? Asking for someone who can't translate bad English.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:39 am Is bad info like bad fans? Asking for someone who can't translate bad English.
The fans are bad. The collective is bad. The professors are bad. The decision makers aren't bad, however.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Robbins said the university loaned the athletics department $86 million and there would be layoffs in athletics, but go ahead and blame the professors.

https://kjzz.org/content/1869123/univer ... ial-crisis
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

SabinoDrifter wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:57 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:39 am Is bad info like bad fans? Asking for someone who can't translate bad English.
The fans are bad. The collective is bad. The professors are bad. The decision makers aren't bad, however.
Sounds like someone owes someone yet another apology.

~ Wilhoit's Law
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

arizonawildcats wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:08 am Robbins said the university loaned the athletics department $86 million and there would be layoffs in athletics, but go ahead and blame the professors.

UA is losing money. They are not losing 240M. They did not miscalculate 240M. They are not projected to lose 240M.

The 240 comes from manipulating the error on the days of cash on hand to be as bad as you can.

Professors have nothing to do with Athletics. They are to blame for misleading a dumb reporter. They are to blame for the bad press. THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ATHLETICS THOUGH
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Thanks, we stand corrected; fuck education and professors

Root root root for the home team! Bad fans unite!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

We not broke but we sure dum.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What bad info did professors leak to the press? Aren't all the meetings recorded and published?
arizonawildcats wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:08 am Robbins said the university loaned the athletics department $86 million and there would be layoffs in athletics, but go ahead and blame the professors.

Robbins said the AD is late in paying back the loan.

Doesn't the UA give the AD $50M annually outside of the loan?

Robbins/Heeke wanted to give Fisch and Lloyd raises of over $1M a year.

And, you know, people have spoken to me about how he [CBB] is one of the low lowest paid coaches in the new league

Robbins announced no cost of living raises for faculty and staff, and implemented a hiring freeze. So faculty, staff and students will all have to work harder to get things done, for less money.

I can see why the professors would be angry.

Don't know if Arizona faculty can strike, but they can in California and just did. https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... ed-reviews
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

PHXCATS wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:54 am

UA is losing money. They are not losing 240M. They did not miscalculate 240M. They are not projected to lose 240M.

The 240 comes from manipulating the error on the days of cash on hand to be as bad as you can.

Professors have nothing to do with Athletics. They are to blame for misleading a dumb reporter. They are to blame for the bad press. THEY HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ATHLETICS THOUGH
Ah yes, the dumb Associated Press.

https://apnews.com/article/university-o ... 2d61dcfa70

The University has enough cash to cover the next quarter as of mid-December and they still have six months left in the fiscal year. The athletic department is not paying back their debt quickly enough, which in the real world, would have the borrower incur significant late fees at a premium interest rate for failure for timely repayment. You have no idea what you're talking about, which I know is rare for you.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I was addressing the professors

Not the Athletic Department
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Balance sheet analysis should reckon figures at important settlement dates: quarterly and year-end, for example. Machina may well be right about some elements of this mess, but the way he mangles comms in favor of pissy self-importance throws a wrench in the convo. There's a lot of professional avarice, hubris, and dick measuring in University politics, probably as much as there is twatty self-victimization on sports forums. Tomorrow we might know something substantive.

~ Wilhoit's Law
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Can we actually talk about the product Lloyd is putting on the court? Anyone else find it distressing that team each year seems to be regressing, and not as good as the previous team? Yes, this year isn't over, but this year's team already lost more PAC games than his first one, in less than half a season. And at the pace we're going right now, we'd be lucky to get a protected top 4 seed in the Big Dance.

Teams often take on the persona of their head coach. And our team seems to be just as "aw shucks" after every loss as Tommy, and we have no nasty streak. No way we should allow a team like Oregon State to shoot 53% from the field, and 60% from 3. No excuse, but we did. Someone has to light a fire under this team. I hope Tommy is the guy who can do it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Wait I thought all that matters is the NCAA tournament?

Not worried at all besides Boswell

Top 20 Net teams are 52-46 in road games. This is a product of NIL and the portal. It isn't a UA issue
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Yes if our players received more NIL they would play better and not make as many mistakes

This is proven science
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Guys, so many of you consistently devalue the regular season in your commentary and value the post-season performance as the exclusive measure og collegiate basketball success. Admit it now!

CTL's first two regular seasons were the best in the history of college basketball (which, BTW, I really, really enjoyed AND valued! His two post-seasons ended prematurely, by our own estimates and hopes.

Now, were struggling in the regular season more than in CTL's first two years, and when the coach is relaxed, talks about learning and developing through the season to better enable reaching our true goals, you're whining like little bitches!

So, WTF is it??? Can you "BTFD!!!!" now to be the best in March, or do you really value the regular season much, much more than you've been willing to admit in March and April???

Right now, I believe the 'Cats are just a "pretty good team". They've shown flashes of brilliance, and periods of mediocrity. We've got good personnel, but are now performing below expectations/hopes.

I recall the Lute's teams ALWAYS started the seasons operating much more smoothly and effectively that most top teamas. But they also faltered in the late season. I'm seeing similar pattern with CTL.

FWIW, I LOVED Lute Olson. And, I love CTL just as much!!

BTFD!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I don't care about losses as much as i care about seeing improvement.

We peaked in December.... this is concerning
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:47 am Yes if our players received more NIL they would play better and not make as many mistakes

This is proven science
NIL and the portal as a whole not just UA

NIL and the portal have closed the gap between the average teams and the really good teams the last several years.

The gap between bad teams and good teams now is a small fraction of what it was in the 90s
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:44 am Wait I thought ....
Wait, that must have hurt.
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:44 amall that matters is the NCAA tournament?
... only for those beyond the NIT
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:44 amNot worried at all
I'm suddenly so relieved.
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:44 ambesides Boswell
Say it, he owes you an apology.
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:44 amTop 20 Net teams are 52-46 in road games. This is a product of NIL and the portal. It isn't a UA issue
NIL and the portal didn't exist before our first 8 games. Got it.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Oregon St must have got a huge NIL pile of cash delivered to them on Wednesday
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:18 am Oregon St must have got a huge NIL pile of cash delivered to them on Wednesday
It's scientifically proven that cold hard cash helps you hit fall-away rainbow 3 pointers at the buzzer.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:18 am Oregon St must have got a huge NIL pile of cash delivered to them on Wednesday
We could have an honest conversation about this instead of this crap

The hypocrisy never ends
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

There are always multiple seasons within each season. If you record one of those early season made-for-TV matchups and compare to a late season game, there are usually obvious differences. We've often been a little better early than a lot of teams we play non-conference, so there's a bit of over-inflated sense of self (and ranking.) You hit conference play, and it's tougher. No Morgan States or UT Arlingtons or going ten days without a game, even if you did get up for the big ones. Some players hit the wall, rival coaches get bleary eyed learning your patterns and player mannerisms, and road conference games are a totally different animal than neutral court games, for a lot of reasons. Come late season/conference tournament, and you'd better get your second wind, hopefully coinciding with adjusting to the other teams' adjustments. The NCAAs are always a wild card, with unknown teams, inaccurate seeding, and the rest. So I think it helps to think in terms of parsing the season, especially when you're looking at 35-40 games. We're currently in the basketball equivalent of baseball's dog days of summer.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Uconn started out 14-0 last year only to end Jan at 16-6 before figuring it out to win the championship. I'm not saying that is what will happen with us. This year is following a trend we have seen with Tommy's teams. We start out hot and don't progress much throughout the year. He needs to figure this out and start to have some success in March or he will not get the best to keep coming here.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

84Cat wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:53 am Uconn started out 14-0 last year only to end Jan at 16-6 before figuring it out to win the championship. I'm not saying that is what will happen with us. This year is following a trend we have seen with Tommy's teams. We start out hot and don't progress much throughout the year. He needs to figure this out and start to have some success in March or he will not get the best to keep coming here.
My concern is it is the same script in our bad losses. I believed CTL in that his goal was to increase our margin of error. Well we can’t guard ball screens, our 3pt defense is terrible, and our most important player is lost. Our margin of error is slim with those 3 issues
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lloyd still is learning too. Runs a deeper bench than he did last year, which really hurt in the NCAA tourney last season with Kriisa and Tubelis both hurting and having to play.

Although Lloyd's loyalty to the starters end of games is a head scratcher. Like the last 5 minutes of the Princeton game last season. Kriisa could barely walk and was pretty much useless, and a rested and playing well Boswell was on the bench. And putting Boswell and Ballo back in with 8(?) minutes to play last night when they were both having severe confidence issues. Maybe Tommy thought is would boost their confidence, but when you won't shoot, and can't make a free throw you need to have some pine time.

Speaking of which, it may not be such a terrible thing not to be so highly seeded. As we all know, Arizona is the only team to lose twice as 2nd seeds to 15 seeds in the first round. Lute had a rep for early round exits, which Lloyd has now, along with his new and correct rep of losing to teams he should beat handily.

Sure hate to go into the tourney in the first round as a #1 seed , and lose to 16th seed Loyola Chicago with Sister Jean since God hates the UA.

Although that is not happening now, and Cats will probably be 5th-9th. Like PCinNM said, Sweet 16 is probably the ceiling for this team, and I imagine we would all be good with that. Another first round bounce, and Lloyd may not be pressing for a raise.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Cripes. Cancer sucks. Don't know any family not affected by it.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Brain cancer is what my mom died of back in 2019. It's just the worst. Sounds like Tommy's friend was a good 20 years younger than my mom too. Ugh, that's just wrong. Hope the man's family and friends can find some peace eventually.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

84Cat wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:53 am Uconn started out 14-0 last year only to end Jan at 16-6 before figuring it out to win the championship. I'm not saying that is what will happen with us. This year is following a trend we have seen with Tommy's teams. We start out hot and don't progress much throughout the year. He needs to figure this out and start to have some success in March or he will not get the best to keep coming here.
I think the PAC tournament shows that his teams can play well late in the season. Who we have lost to is strange as those are not the strong teams in the league. That to me is more on the players than the coach.
Last edited by TheCat on Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

When a TL coached team has its PG play well, they don’t lose often. He just hasn’t received any consistent play from that position since he has been here
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:24 am When a TL coached team has its PG play well, they don’t lose often. He just hasn’t received any consistent play from that position since he has been here
Same issue as the previous coach
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:12 am
Not if you are involved.
The hypocrisy never ends.
Where have you hidden all your mirrors.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

RichardCranium wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:51 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:12 am
Not if you are involved.
The hypocrisy never ends.
Where have you hidden all your mirrors.
Thank you for caring so much, even a week after
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Just to let everyone know, because I wouldn't want anyone be confused or anything...

I don't read every thread every day. Heck, sometimes I even mark all threads as read and don't open up for days at a time!

I'm a monster, I know.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

RichardCranium wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:40 pm Just to let everyone know, because I wouldn't want anyone be confused or anything...

I don't read every thread every day. Heck, sometimes I even mark all threads as read and don't open up for days at a time!

I'm a monster, I know.
Only Machina is owed an apology. The rest of BDW is all bad all the time.

~ Wilhoit's Law
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Great for recruiting as long as you aren't cut.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Thought this image was pretty cool!
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:39 am Thought this image was pretty cool!
I'm pretty sure that I had a "silent" heart attack during that Zags game...

.. if so, good thing it was "silent", because I could not have left to go to the ER!! :shock:

(the fact of a previous "silent heart attack" was confirmed ~10 years later by echo-cardiogram)
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman