Kerr Kriisa

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Kerr Kriisa

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:03 pm Explains a lot.
Actually, we beat them 2 out of 3 times, and overall we did better in games against top competition. So yeah, we did have a better season than those ass clowns.

Anyway, gonna be interesting to see where Kriisa lands. I hope the coaches offering him scholarships know he's never attempted a shot within 28 feet.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

I think our seasons were relatively equal. They won the league by a good number of games but we won the season series. We won the PAC tourney but they were the obviously tougher team in the big dance. Call it a wash and we’ll win it outright next year.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I am really going to miss Kerr. Can you imagine if he decided to stay and come off the bench?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CardiacCats97 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:57 pm I think our seasons were relatively equal. They won the league by a good number of games but we won the season series. We won the PAC tourney but they were the obviously tougher team in the big dance. Call it a wash and we’ll win it outright next year.
Feels like there's a LOT being made of ucla winning the reg season Pac title, which Arizona has done not once, not twice, not thrice...but six times since 2011. The Pac reg season title is often discredited as a less significant achievement, but when ucla does it, it's somehow worthy of a parade down Wilshire. Either the reg season title matters or it doesn't.

Anyway, f ucla. And f their graceless, irascible coach. Glad to see them lose to a better program. Again.

Oh, and good luck, Kerr Kriisa! I hope you find what you're looking for, young man!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Kerr is spot on

Neither got to the final four which is the primary goal of programs like UA and ucla. Since neither accomplished their primary goals the better secondary goal is to win the PAC-12 Tournament vs Sweet 16
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I would take losing in the sweet 16 to Gonzaga in an all-time classic than losing to a 15 seed in the first round in a game where AZ scored 10 points in 15 minutes or something awful like that. It was nice to give Princeton there first win in over 20 years.

Actually trying to cope and lessen the looks of loosing to a 15 seed by comparing your season to another team and not just another team but a rival that went further than yours. Cringe.
Nice to know he thinks a pac12 tourney is more of an accomplishment than a Sweet 16. This is exactly why we will never win shit that's worth a damn.

I like Kerr but the more he talks the more i feel not only a change in the line up was necessary but also a change in scenery. And i couldn't even imagine the guy transferring even after the loss to Princeton.

I didn't listen to podcast and don't plan on it but that's my knee jerk reaction to the tweet without having the context. Goodnight, goodbye and this thread can't be removed from the Arizona Basketball board soon enough.
Mike Luke's burner account.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:20 pm
CardiacCats97 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:57 pm I think our seasons were relatively equal. They won the league by a good number of games but we won the season series. We won the PAC tourney but they were the obviously tougher team in the big dance. Call it a wash and we’ll win it outright next year.
Feels like there's a LOT being made of ucla winning the reg season Pac title, which Arizona has done not once, not twice, not thrice...but six times since 2011. The Pac reg season title is often discredited as a less significant achievement, but when ucla does it, it's somehow worthy of a parade down Wilshire. Either the reg season title matters or it doesn't.

Anyway, f ucla. And f their graceless, irascible coach. Glad to see them lose to a better program. Again.

Oh, and good luck, Kerr Kriisa! I hope you find what you're looking for, young man!
Of course the regular season title matters. And it definitely matters more than the conference tourney. Winning 18 games and being better than every other team by at least 4 wins is a much more impressive accomplishment than winning 3 games in a row.

Not sure who told you our regular season titles meant less but they were lying to you, probably to get you riled up. I’d kick them in the knee the next time you hang out.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Winning the 20 game conference season is so much better than the three game tournament.

There is no way you could measure a regular season conference championship plus a 16 bid vs a 3 game tourney and a first round flame out as better than former. That is just crazy talk
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:17 am Winning the 20 game conference season is so much better than the three game tournament.

There is no way you could measure a regular season conference championship plus a 16 bud vs a 3 game tourney and a first round flame out as better than former. That is just crazy talk
We also won the Maui Invitational, went undefeated in OOC games (reg season) and again, beat McPhallus Cronin 2 out of 3. I’ll take our season over theirs, but I understand the counter argument.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

That argument just makes our season look like more of a disappointment then it already is.

Looking at the results now shows how well this tournament was aligned for us to go deep. Yet somehow, we found another way to crap our drawers
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Losing to #15 Princeton in the first round.

That's the only thing people will remember from this season.

UCLA had a much better season by far.

How many teams did Arizona lose to with below average NET ratings?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

So defining one's season as to "how bad your last loss was" since only 1 team will have a last loss (not counting NIT & CBI) is an interesting litmus test which I have problems with.

And if we want to be truthful even the '97 team had lot's of warts before the Tourney run.

But to each his own. While losing as a #2 seed to an "on paper" inferior team really stings the entire season's resume was actually pretty damn impressive, especially considering we lost 3 NBA players coming into the season.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:42 am That argument just makes our season look like more of a disappointment then it already is.

Looking at the results now shows how well this tournament was aligned for us to go deep. Yet somehow, we found another way to crap our drawers
The tournament is not the end all be all. I feel bad for the people who think that and for the players
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:24 am Losing to #15 Princeton in the first round.

How many teams did Arizona lose to with below average NET ratings?
Only losers will
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I don’t know how any true fan can be elated with our tournament performance(so don’t feel bad for me). Our season was great and had many highs and many lows but the goal is and always will be to get to the FF. In that regard we had a colossal flame out. It is far and away more disappointing than last years loss to an underseeded Houston team.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:24 am Losing to #15 Princeton in the first round.

Merk, “by far”? Really?

They finished the season 31-6. We were 28-7. And we gave them 2 of their losses.

Your other point is both undeniable and regrettable, imo.

The entire season’s quality shouldn’t be reduced to the tourney. This isn’t good for the sport, and it’s unfair to the players.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:25 am

Merk, “by far”? Really?

They finished the season 31-6. We were 28-7. And we gave them 2 of their losses.

The entire season’s quality shouldn’t be reduced to the tourney. This isn’t good for the sport, and it’s unfair to the players.

Yes, by far. How many games were the UA behind UCLA in the regular season? Barely beating a very injured Bruins squad in the PAC tourney doesn't really mean anything, besides being able to hang the banner up.

Kriisa stating the PAC tourney is more important is just laughable to me.

Channel Lute trying to tank the PAC tourney and rest his players for the NCAAs, that's what is more important.
azcat49 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:03 am I don’t know how any true fan can be elated with our tournament performance(so don’t feel bad for me). Our season was great and had many highs and many lows but the goal is and always will be to get to the FF. In that regard we had a colossal flame out. It is far and away more disappointing than last years loss to an underseeded Houston team.
Agree 100% J. What do we all remember about the 1993 NCAA tourney? Just one thing. Santa Clara with Steve Nash, although Nash did not have a good game.

Princeton has a net ranking in the 100's.

https://bballnet.com/teams/princeton

That is all anyone will remember about 2023.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:30 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:25 am

Merk, “by far”? Really?

Yes, by far. How many games were the UA behind UCLA in the regular season? Barely beating a very injured Bruins squad in the PAC tourney doesn't really mean anything, besides being able to hang the banner up.

Channel Lute trying to tank the PAC tourney and rest his players for the NCAAs, that's what is more important.
azcat49 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:03 am I don’t know how any true fan can be elated with our tournament performance(so don’t feel bad for me). Our season was great and had many highs and many lows but the goal is and always will be to get to the FF. In that regard we had a colossal flame out. It is far and away more disappointing than last years loss to an underseeded Houston team.
Agree 100% J. What do we all remember about the 1993 NCAA tourney? Just one thing. Santa Clara with Steve Nash, although Nash did not have a good game.

Not in the eyes of the basketball cognoscenti!

Arizona and UCLA were both #2 seeds - the most official & reliable measure of seasonal value that currently exists in the college game.

Focus solely on performance in the NCAA tournament is a modern perversion of value!

If we actually wanted to truly determine the “best” team, all the “season” would be one long tournament of multi-game (best-of 3, 5, 7 games) - and “Division 1” (i.e., the top level of the game) would be much smaller (probably with some version of “relegation” as in British football).
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Lol conference tournaments are meaningless, we lost the conference by several games

UCLA by far had the better season, anyway the second time we beat them they had 2 starters already injured

And they went further, in a tougher bracket with 2 missing players, it's not close

This is loser talk from Kerr, it's unbelievable really, no wonder Princeton had more energy like Kerr said. No wonder we continually lost to bad teams during the season
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:30 am Yes, by far. How many games were the UA behind UCLA in the regular season? Barely beating a very injured Bruins squad in the PAC tourney doesn't really mean anything, besides being able to hang the banner up.

We can agree to disagree on this. I care about beating our rivals, and in a season where our tourney performance sucks, maybe other parts of the season matter a little more?

I couldn’t give a flying eff how many games ucla won the league by. They’re welcome to hang a banner for all those victories over Cal and Oregon State and Washington. They were 1-2 against Arizona, arguably the only other decent team in the Pac this year.

Anyway, yes, the loss to Princeton is now destined to overshadow all other achievements this year. I just think that’s unfair to the team.

Bear down!
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

As long as we beet our rival huh? Sounds like our football expectations are rubbing off on our basketball expectations.
What's next, celebrating 20 win seasons?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

KillerKlown wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:31 pm As long as we beet our rival huh? Sounds like our football expectations are rubbing off on our basketball expectations.
We did more than beat our rivals this past season. So no, no one’s reducing success to “beating our rivals.”
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:48 pm
KillerKlown wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:31 pm As long as we beet our rival huh? Sounds like our football expectations are rubbing off on our basketball expectations.
We did more than beat our rivals this past season. So no, no one’s reducing success to “beating our rivals.”
No worries, I understand.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

What a pathetic Facebook post
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:37 am What a pathetic Facebook post
Why? Because it showed Kriisa was kind of a douche? I think most Wildcat fans knew that, but he was our douche, so we were good with his antics. Now that he is gone is it surprise some people want reveal the extent of his doucheness? Not really.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And what is the context behind the finger? Doubt he is flipping off the wildcat faithful
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CopaCat wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:59 am
PHXCATS wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:37 am What a pathetic Facebook post
Why? Because it showed Kriisa was kind of a douche? I think most Wildcat fans knew that, but he was our douche, so we were good with his antics. Now that he is gone is it surprise some people want reveal the extent of his doucheness? Not really.
The fact is that he thought it was worth posting but only after Kerr was no longer on the team
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Life in Nebraska. Poor kid.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:45 pm Life in Nebraska. Poor kid.
Maybe he's just flirting with other schools until CSM ups the NIL money.

Souley Boum is done for X and don't know who is backup is.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Only in the NIL era do players leave Arizona for Nebraska.

What is happening??
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:03 pm Only in the NIL era do players leave Arizona for Nebraska.

What is happening??
From what I understand, Kerr was encouraged to leave so this move isn't entirely his choice
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:51 pm
Maybe he's just flirting with other schools until CSM ups the NIL money.

Souley Boum is done for X and don't know who is backup is.
How would Miller do that?

Do you know how collectives work?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:03 pm Only in the NIL era do players leave Arizona for Nebraska.

What is happening??
For fuck sake
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Isn't Warren Buffett the Nebraska donor? Or is it the Koch bros. It's someone like that, there's money there.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Buffet for Nebraska, and T Boone Pickens for OK State.

Looking at some of the NIL annual valuations.

Drew Timme $903K
https://www.on3.com/db/drew-timme-39203/nil/

Jaime Jaquez $847
https://www.on3.com/db/jaime-jaquez-142198/nil/

Kriisa $132K
https://www.on3.com/db/kerr-kriisa-73703/nil/

Zu $177K
https://www.on3.com/db/azuolas-tubelis-9085/nil/
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:49 pm Buffet for Nebraska, and T Boone Pickens for OK State.

Drew Timme $903K

Jaime Jaquez $847

Kriisa $132K

Zu $177K
Timme and Jaquez compared to our guys is very, very telling.

Is our budget that skimpy, or are these guys simply that much more valuable?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:20 pm Is our budget that skimpy, or are these guys simply that much more valuable?
My uneducated guess these are just valuations, not what they are actually receiving. I thought I read Zu was looking to get $100K from the UA.

Timme is really surprising being it's Gonzaga out in the middle of frickin' nowhere.

JJJ I can see.

In any event, Zu and Kriisa are probably both better getting NIL deals then going back to Lithuania and Estonia since those countries do not pay their professional athletes well, compared to China or Australia.

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:04 pm How would Miller do that?

You don't think the collectives listen to head coaches on who gets the money?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:29 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:20 pm Is our budget that skimpy, or are these guys simply that much more valuable?
My uneducated guess these are just valuations, not what they are actually receiving. I thought I read Zu was looking to get $100K from the UA.

Timme is really surprising being it's Gonzaga out in the middle of frickin' nowhere.

JJJ I can see.

In any event, Zu and Kriisa are probably both better getting NIL deals then going back to Lithuania and Estonia since those countries do not pay their professional athletes well, compared to China or Australia.

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:04 pm How would Miller do that?

You don't think the collectives listen to head coaches on who gets the money?
Not on how much to pay
GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:20 pm
Merkin wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:49 pm Buffet for Nebraska, and T Boone Pickens for OK State.

Drew Timme $903K

Jaime Jaquez $847

Kriisa $132K

Zu $177K
Timme and Jaquez compared to our guys is very, very telling.

Is our budget that skimpy, or are these guys simply that much more valuable?

BC97 - Look up the methodology, read the NIL rules, and develop an informed opinion.

For example, with even a quick glance you can tell their model weighs heavily on social media followers on “valuation.”
TucsonCat

Post by TucsonCat »

Merkin wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:24 am https://www.facebook.com/chris.hook.543

I had the opportunity to meet Kerr, following the WSU game, in Pullman. My daughter is a huge fan of the team, and we waited out in the cold, waiting for the players to come out so that she could ask them for a picture, and an autograph. All of the players were gracious, and took the time to stop and talk to her for a few minutes, despite the fact that it was frigid temperatures, and spitting snow. (Except Boswell, who managed to sneak by without speaking to anyone. 😂) Kerr came out, with his hands completely full, and his headphones on. He could have easily ignored her and walked on by, but he actually stopped and set his stuff on the wet ground so that he could sign a sweater for her, give her a quick hug, and take a picture with her. For a shy young lady, it was one of the highlights of her year. He may have been fiery on the court, and an ass to opposing players, and their fan bases, but to me he will always be the polite young man that took the time to bring a smile to a young fan’s face. He may no longer be a Wildcat, but in my house we will continue to root for him no matter where he lands!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

TucsonCat wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:56 pm

I had the opportunity to meet Kerr, following the WSU game, in Pullman. My daughter is a huge fan of the team, and we waited out in the cold, waiting for the players to come out so that she could ask them for a picture, and an autograph. All of the players were gracious, and took the time to stop and talk to her for a few minutes, despite the fact that it was frigid temperatures, and spitting snow. (Except Boswell, who managed to sneak by without speaking to anyone. 😂) Kerr came out, with his hands completely full, and his headphones on. He could have easily ignored her and walked on by, but he actually stopped and set his stuff on the wet ground so that he could sign a sweater for her, give her a quick hug, and take a picture with her. For a shy young lady, it was one of the highlights of her year. He may have been fiery on the court, and an ass to opposing players, and their fan bases, but to me he will always be the polite young man that took the time to bring a smile to a young fan’s face. He may no longer be a Wildcat, but in my house we will continue to root for him no matter where he lands!
Good story. Glad he was able to make your daughter so happy
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

TucsonCat wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:56 pm

That is cool. Glad he was accommodating to your daughter.

I believe Kriisa's doucheness to be exclusively on court related. I liken him a bit to Patrick Beverley. A guy that likes to talk crap, gesture, and basically be a menace and piss players and fans of opposing teams off. When he is on your team you generally love him despite the obvious limitations in his game compared to the theatrics. He was an ok player, but a great showman and decent leader. Players love guys who battle and Kriisa did do that. I wish him well and hope he finds a good landing spot.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

IMNSO opinion, we're gonna miss Kerr!!

I actually hope CTL re-recruits him like he did when he declared for the portal after CTM left...

Maybe checking out places like WVU & Nebraska will change his mind, if the primary motivation to leave was the likely loss of PT.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:50 am IMNSO opinion, we're gonna miss Kerr!!

I actually hope CTL re-recruits him like he did when he declared for the portal after CTM left...

Maybe checking out places like WVU & Nebraska will change his mind, if the primary motivation to leave was the likely loss of PT.
Nah, there's no minds changing here. This was a decision made by both sides.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:54 am Nah, there's no minds changing here. This was a decision made by both sides.

Thought as much. I have read that elsewhere from a couple of different sources, but always good to hear Choo confirm it.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

KillerKlown wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:34 pm I would take losing in the sweet 16 to Gonzaga in an all-time classic than losing to a 15 seed in the first round in a game where AZ scored 10 points in 15 minutes or something awful like that. It was nice to give Princeton there first win in over 20 years.

Actually trying to cope and lessen the looks of loosing to a 15 seed by comparing your season to another team and not just another team but a rival that went further than yours. Cringe.
Nice to know he thinks a pac12 tourney is more of an accomplishment than a Sweet 16. This is exactly why we will never win shit that's worth a damn.

I like Kerr but the more he talks the more i feel not only a change in the line up was necessary but also a change in scenery. And i couldn't even imagine the guy transferring even after the loss to Princeton.

I didn't listen to podcast and don't plan on it but that's my knee jerk reaction to the tweet without having the context. Goodnight, goodbye and this thread can't be removed from the Arizona Basketball board soon enough.
Losing a 13 point lead as a team that is an elite defensive team is hardly a classic. Going 10.5 minutes with NO points is par for the course for this offensively challenged coach as I believe the players are capable of much more.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:17 pm Losing a 13 point lead as a team that is an elite defensive team is hardly a classic. Going 10.5 minutes with NO points is par for the course for this offensively challenged coach as I believe the players are capable of much more.
I find this offensive.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:15 pm
TheCat wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:17 pm Losing a 13 point lead as a team that is an elite defensive team is hardly a classic. Going 10.5 minutes with NO points is par for the course for this offensively challenged coach as I believe the players are capable of much more.
I find this offensive.
All of you making harsh judgments of Kerr (and Pelle, BTW!!!) really should view the podcast to see their own discussion of the postgame interview experience and reconsideration of the quotes.

Otherwise, you're just being reactionary and dismissive. But, maybe that's how you roll.

― Kinky Friedman