Koloko

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Alieberman

Koloko

Post by Alieberman »

Does he not have his own thread yet?

What a fucking game tonight.

Dominating against what was supposed to be a matchup problem for him.

Love C-Lo!!!!
84Cat

Re: Koloko

Post by 84Cat »

At this rate he is gone after this season
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This skill set he's developed above and below the rim isn't even familiar to me. The positioning, the footwork, the length with that control. And then the timing on those blocks. I mean, who does he even compare to?

And remember when it was so freaking impossible to get the ball to Ayton in the block?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

All Pac selection without a doubt so far
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Longhorned wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:50 pm This skill set he's developed above and below the rim isn't even familiar to me. The positioning, the footwork, the length with that control. And then the timing on those blocks. I mean, who does he even compare to?

And remember when it was so freaking impossible to get the ball to Ayton in the block?
It's almost like he's being coached by Dana Altman.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Most improved player maybe ever at Arizona. Frye went from ham sandwich to NBA regular. Jason Terry showed great improvement with intangibles, from shy freshman to team leader. Never thought Justin Wessel would play significant minus at Arizona, but he proved me wrong. But Koloko? From tall, fish out of water to a guy who dominated against Michigan.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I saw someone say his mom flew out from Cameroon to see him play for the first time in person tonight?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Yes that is true
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Massive. He’s unreal.
Abrahamarvel

Post by Abrahamarvel »

Best pro prospect on the team
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

I saw the potential there his freshman year again after Baylor on the road. He flashed such a high ceiling and a behind the back bounce he made had me salivating if he could ever get in an offensive and defensive system that maximizes his skill set. Coach Lloyd has done that and I'm excited for him. He has a bright future ahead of him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fishclamps wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:21 pm I saw someone say his mom flew out from Cameroon to see him play for the first time in person tonight?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I believe she was there for the Wichita game too according to the post presser after that one.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Pac player of the week?
mofo

Post by mofo »

Longhorned wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:50 pm This skill set he's developed above and below the rim isn't even familiar to me. The positioning, the footwork, the length with that control. And then the timing on those blocks. I mean, who does he even compare to?
My memory's a little foggy thinking back, but he reminds me of Loren Woods' game, minus the between the ears issues.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

mofo wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:15 am
My memory's a little foggy thinking back, but he reminds me of Loren Woods' game, minus the between the ears issues.
Koloko is a lot stronger than Loren Woods ever was. The guy is chiseled. I wonder how he compares to Olajuwon. How many bigs do you know can run the floor like Koloko? As of right now he should be in the conversation for National Player of the Year. He's a lottery pick for sure.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Catintheheat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:30 am
Koloko is a lot stronger than Loren Woods ever was. The guy is chiseled. I wonder how he compares to Olajuwon. How many bigs do you know can run the floor like Koloko? As of right now he should be in the conversation for National Player of the Year. He's a lottery pick for sure.
I was thinking Olajuwon as well. He just needs to develop that fade away jump shot
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

This development we're seeing is the kind of thing that happens on other teams. Not ours. At least not since DWill. As soon as Miller got his chance to develop instead of reload his roster, he didn't get his chance.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

he missed that time in the offseason before last year. He looked better last year than the year before, but with that wiped out offseason to work with, the staff lost precious time. You always saw the potential was there, but he needed weight (he has now had 2 years of a real weight and nutrition program) and he needed offseason work when the concern wasn't the next game. That was all gone in 2020. Add that his overall game fits Lloyd's system better (shot blocker vs position play in packline, athletic floor runner), and some serious effort by Christian, and we are here....
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:30 am This development we're seeing is the kind of thing that happens on other teams. Not ours. At least not since DWill. As soon as Miller got his chance to develop instead of reload his roster, he didn't get his chance.
Koloko always had this kind of potential, but Covid really threw him a curveball last year. His physical gifts are there, and you can see the ability, but he just didn't make the adjustment from spot guy to major minute guy with zero offseason prep and just being thrown out there.

This year, with a summer of real skill and physical development, this is the upside everyone saw the potential of as a freshman.

I can't see him as Olajuwon like those above, just because Hakeem had the best footwork of all time. I see him more as a poor man's Rudy Gobert, in being a first class rim protector with a simple but efficient offensive game. If his rebound % climbs a bit, you can drop the poor man's a bit.

Bottom line, I loved the developmental potential of this roster last year and it's showing this year. Everyone who developed is flashing the high ceiling I thought they had last year. Koloko made the biggest leap, but the defense...Tubelis, Terry, Mathurin and Kerr don't look like they're adjusting to college speed. They look ready to roll.

I was a Miller fan and I still hope Lloyd steps up the recruiting to keep talent when Miller's giys are gone, but Lloyd should get full credit for his handling of this roster to this point. I thought Miller was top ten nationally and I would have been impressed with this start under Miller. Thus, I'm of the mind Lloyd has handled this team in an impressive fashion for a top ten coach nationally.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PAC 12 player of the week

Duh
Abrahamarvel

Post by Abrahamarvel »

84Cat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:37 am
Catintheheat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:30 am
I was thinking Olajuwon as well. He just needs to develop that fade away jump shot
or David Robinson? Almost exactly the same build
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Nah, Robinson had more of a face up offensive game and was less of a rim protector. Forward in a centers body.

What really impressed me is C-Lo’s upgraded repertoire around the rim with that little hook flip shot of his. And now he can do it with his left hand as well.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:21 am Nah, Robinson had more of a face up offensive game and was less of a rim protector. Forward in a centers body.

What really impressed me is C-Lo’s upgraded repertoire around the rim with that little hook flip shot of his. And now he can do it with his left hand as well.
No need for name abbreviations…. “ KOLOKO” is perfect and more defining He’s not a movie star or a singer - He’s a denominator!

….Just an opinion.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Tubelis and Koloko can be Loco and Co-Loco.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

In 25 years people will comparing up and coming star big men to Koloko.

It will be up to us to explain how player X cant' do what Koloko did
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Good article by Greg Hansen. It appears he is excited about this team.

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 929f9.html
No, the Wildcats aren’t there yet, but the variables are lined up. They share the ball. They’re unusually quick, fluid and instinctive. The leading scoring threats, Koloko, Benedict Mathurin and Azuolas Tubelis, offer different styles. They’re big and mobile. They don’t need a point guard dribbling the shot clock under 10 seconds, hoping for a good look.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

No clicks for Pops. We have rules here CITH. This isn't 'Nam.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, no clicks for Pops. What do you think this is? A petting zoo?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

MountainCat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:25 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:21 am Nah, Robinson had more of a face up offensive game and was less of a rim protector. Forward in a centers body.

No need for name abbreviations…. “ KOLOKO” is perfect and more defining He’s not a movie star or a singer - He’s a denominator!

….Just an opinion.
The team calls him “C-Lo” just like they call Azuolas “Zu”

Koloko looks like a first round worthy pick as a Gobert or Capela type - great defender, lob threat, some post up game. Would love to see him add some mid range / pick and pop to his game but right now I’m thrilled with how easy he makes the game for himself by taking high percentage looks.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

MountainCat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:25 am

….Just an opinion.
Hey man, that's what CTL has been calling him so don't shoot the messenger...
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Ain't bringin' Pops his gruel and changin' his drool bucket. The nursing home is thataway.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Catintheheat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:27 am Good article by Greg Hansen. It appears he is excited about this team.

No, the Wildcats aren’t there yet, but the variables are lined up. They share the ball. They’re unusually quick, fluid and instinctive. The leading scoring threats, Koloko, Benedict Mathurin and Azuolas Tubelis, offer different styles. They’re big and mobile. They don’t need a point guard dribbling the shot clock under 10 seconds, hoping for a good look.
Have we even had a shot clock violation yet? Can't remember seeing one.
Plus we really don't take a lot of bad shots because my "we didn't score because we hoisted up something that had little chance" radar doesn't come on that often when I am watching games - at least not as much now compared to prior years.

Both these points are quite refreshing tbh.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:16 am
Catintheheat wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:27 am Good article by Greg Hansen. It appears he is excited about this team.

Have we even had a shot clock violation yet? Can't remember seeing one.
Plus we really don't take a lot of bad shots because my "we didn't score because we hoisted up something that had little chance" radar doesn't come on that often when I am watching games - at least not as much now compared to prior years.

Both these points are quite refreshing tbh.
Hansen...well, I think he's been heavily in Lloyd's corner whether it's warranted or not. He had a column about Lloyd smiling a lot.

My Hansen ripping aside, we have played a higher tempo. We're about 77 adjusted possessions per game which is about 7 faster than an average under Miller.

To a certain extent, I think the 77 will decline. Michigan was our lowest scoring game and the P5 teams just won't provide as many quick opportunities for scoring. We'll likely still wind up higher than a Miller average.

Points per possession is going to be pretty close to Miller's era. We are #24 nationally in points per possession now and were #33 last year. I think that's a wash given our top 5 scorers are all returning sophs and juniors who you'd expect to become more efficient over time.

If you're interested in the stat markers, here's a great site.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-baske ... 2021-11-23
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

What does he mean by "No, the Wildcats aren't there yet"? Where are they not? I mean, they may not be "there", if "there" is their goal, but they also might be. They might win the national championship with 40 point blowouts all the way through. While I understand this is super early and competition has been mixed, there is nothing on film to see that says this team is not "there". That may be coming...but that is such a bullshit hedge/contrarian writer passive-aggressive comment. The forever push/pull of praise/criticize that lazy writers like Hansen live by. You can easily avoid it while noting the future is not yet clear with something like "No, we don't yet know how the Wildcats will fare over an entire 30 game season" or "While the opposition has been, at times, not up to what the Wildcats will face in the very near future", or "The upcoming schedule will answer for us if this group, which certainly appears to have the variables lined up, is built to contend..." Or any number of establishing sentences that note the future is not yet clear for this team, while noting the excellence of the early games. But Hansen goes straight for the definitive "they aren't there yet" with no evidence of that statement.

I'm not one who joins the Hansen Is the Devil crowd, which seems odd to say as it appears I am Everest-ing a molehill. I think Greg is a talented and lazy writer who is a natural contrarian and feels most confident praising up and coming teams and criticizing the established power. Being lazy...not caring to fact check his own scribbles...is his biggest sin to me, along with the reflex of contrarianism where it doesn't fit. This one just struck me wrong. That phrase "aren't there yet" is Hansen in three words...putting forth a contrarian conceit, unable to help himself from reflexively pulling back during a moment of praise.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Well he also goes on radio shows and lies, so there's that. He needs to hang it up.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Parsing Greg Hansen articles is as useless and painful an exercise as trying to shave your balls by repeatedly stabbing them with a salad fork.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Pops needs to be dragged through the streets of T-town and skullfucked by everyone who can read.

~ Wilhoit's Law
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

The polarization of Hansen begin and ends with him saying Book (rhymes with Look) was his source for a completely false statement on a Phoenix radio station. How he still has a job after that is beyond me.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UofAlum05 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:05 pm The polarization of Hansen begin and ends with him saying Book (rhymes with Look) was his source for a completely false statement on a Phoenix radio station. How he still has a job after that is beyond me.
Not sure it began there, but it certainly should end there. Anyone defending the guy after that should be wearing clown makeup.

As for where it started, I’ve always thought he sucked. His infatuation with Utah high school sports and his need to compare UA programs with the Saint George high school golf team always struck me as weird at best. Then I realized that he’s just a professional troll and I happily never read anything by him again unless it was by accident.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Koloko thread

Christian Fucking Koloko
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well you will find this comparison weird because of their physical stature but Koloko reminds me of Ayton with the Suns. They run the same pick and roll that no one is good at stopping yet. He does not really remind me of Ayton at Arizona but now.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

~ Wilhoit's Law
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

During the game last night, they showed a pic of Koloko the day he signed with Arizona versus a recent picture. The change was obvious. More muscle on every inch of his body. Stronger legs have allowed Koloko to play better position D, and get where we wants to go on the floor on O. And stronger arms have allowed him to become a better rebounder. Kudos to Koloko for putting in the work, and kudos to the S&C team that has help taken a project and helped turn him into a player that could potentially play at the next level.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Koloko has been a bit tentative offensively and it seems to coincide to his ankle sprain?

Right before half yesterday he was dumped a pass from KK and he had an easy dunk but just kind of laid it up and off the rim and BM cleaned it up. Miller used to always tell hiM that at AZ we dunk that.

He did well against Kofi yesterday on defense but I thought he could have used his quickness to bother their guy but he was so passive

He looked so lackadaisical In the first few minutes of the second half on the offensive end of the floor. Looked bad on a tip then couldn’t handle a bounce pass. Just wondering if he is 100%?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

He also got some poor entry passes I noticed which didn’t help. He feels like a player that needs to get in rhythm early offensively.

But his defense and rim protection was just lights out in the second half when Kofi was not shoulder pile driving him of course.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

His defense was great. He has made so much progress and I was hoping he would really showcase that against a guy who is a certain first rounder.

At the 16 minute mark of the second half he made his second and last FG. A tap in of a missed shot that he easily could have flushed. Just has lost some aggression and I wonder why. Hope he gets it back as we would be literally unstoppable
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Before the game I thought he looked stiff.

I can’t imagine a 2+hour car ride does anything great for a 7 footer’s body.
prh

Post by prh »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:48 am He also got some poor entry passes I noticed which didn’t help. He feels like a player that needs to get in rhythm early offensively.

But his defense and rim protection was just lights out in the second half when Kofi was not shoulder pile driving him of course.
It's funny cause the post-game narrative from the Illini fans are that it's on the refs not calling fouls on us.

Which is wild because they had 5 fouls at the U4 timeout

And even wilder since leading up to the game, all they could talk about was how our west coast team wasn't prepared for big boy Big 10 basketball