Ąžuolas Tubelis

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Ąžuolas Tubelis

Post by Jefe »

34 games into his AZ career and no thread for one of the best players on the court on any given night?!

That crossover last night was unreal for a 6'11" 19 year old. Double digits in every game this season shooting 62%. Mock drafts are not paying attention and we will be lucky if he returns for a 3rd season
Chicat

Re: Ąžuolas Tubelis

Post by Chicat »

Nice work with the accent marks on his name.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

He's a thug.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

He needs to stop the post play stare down at the crowd. Other than that one thing, dude is a perfect PF
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:59 pm He needs to stop the post play stare down at the crowd. Other than that one thing, dude is a perfect PF
Yeah, less flexing, more getting back on defense would be nice, but I won’t complain until he gets a tech or the other team goes 5-on-4 and scores easily.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:07 pm
Olsondogg wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:59 pm He needs to stop the post play stare down at the crowd. Other than that one thing, dude is a perfect PF
Yeah, less flexing, more getting back on defense would be nice, but I won’t complain until he gets a tech or the other team goes 5-on-4 and scores easily.
It happened one game, can’t remember which game but I wanna say Michigan.

Not the tech. Just not getting back
Last edited by Olsondogg on Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:09 pm
Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:07 pm
It happened one game, can’t remember which game but I wanna say Michigan.
Yelp review is on the way.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

It definitely happened in the Michigan game.

Last night he blocked a shot, got a rebound held the rebound and did his stare into the crowd then started moving it up court. His stares are the only thing slowing this team down.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You're all wrong. The stare is inextricable from everything else. He's a basketball player/movie villain. They're mutually dependent.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

He's Marco from Tropojë. Don't fuck with him.

He's Keyser Söze. Hide your family.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

After his basketball career is over he can become a silent staring Bond villain.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

If Tubelis staring shit down after a play is at the top of our problems I'm good.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Longhorned wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:37 pm You're all wrong. The stare is inextricable from everything else. He's a basketball player/movie villain. They're mutually dependent.
All he needs is a while/silver Persian cat.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

He was critical in our win at Ill.. Kept us in the game in the first half.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The Illini fans had no idea who he was until he started kicking their asses and all of a sudden he was all they could talk about.

My eyes were glued to him the whole time. He just puts in so much effort on every play, with or without the ball, and he’s so damn smart. You could see him sizing them up coming down the floor and hitting the exact spot where his presence would cause the most drastic reaction from the defense. Such a cerebral player.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Chicat wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:48 pm The Illini fans had no idea who he was until he started kicking their asses and all of a sudden he was all they could talk about.

My eyes were glued to him the whole time. He just puts in so much effort on every play, with or without the ball, and he’s so damn smart. You could see him sizing them up coming down the floor and hitting the exact spot where his presence would cause the most drastic reaction from the defense. Such a cerebral player.
I think the board would be interested in a visiting arena trip report Chicat
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

1stNGrant Frys wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:11 pm
Chicat wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:48 pm The Illini fans had no idea who he was until he started kicking their asses and all of a sudden he was all they could talk about.

The arena is generic and Tubelis kicked their asses up and down it. :D

Their coeds are not cute, and their fans are such dicks. Beyond the one who told me to fuck off after I said it was a good game, none of them were welcoming or nice in any way.

Arizona fans on the other hand are awesome. We showed up, were loud, and had a great time.

Champaign is kind of shitty outside of a four block area. No wonder their fans are so miserable.
Andre Iguodunkya

Post by Andre Iguodunkya »

Chicat wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:29 pm

Their coeds are not cute, and their fans are such dicks. Beyond the one who told me to fuck off after I said it was a good game, none of them were welcoming or nice in any way.

Arizona fans on the other hand are awesome. We showed up, were loud, and had a great time.

Champaign is kind of shitty outside of a four block area. No wonder their fans are so miserable.
I spent a night there once. Longest week of my life.
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Chicat wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:29 pm

how many of our fans would you estimate were there?
I've always felt fans at McKale are usually quite congenial to non-ASU visitors. Just to show I'm not a homer, thats not so much the case at Arizona Stadium.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

500 or so
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Chicat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:39 pm After his basketball career is over he can become a silent staring Bond villain.
"Silent Bond Villain" is an oxymoron. Bond Villains have to be talkative and explain their dastardly deeds.

I am not counting BV sidekicks as actual Bond Villains. Jaws and OddJob speak through their special talents - they don't need explanatory verbiage.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i thought he was key today in many ways that dont show up in the stat sheet, pretty much always is...your point on the spacing is well made, hes always in the right spot and pretty much is always in position to be the most impactful in that flow, even without touching the ball.

early on he was a force, Lloyd kept running the offense through him and it was productive, keeping Arizona in the game. he also had great hands on the perimeter defensively, many disruptions and deflections.

i keep saying it but it cant be emphasized enough, Illinois hit 16 threes and had a 19-0 run and lost at home, unreal.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:08 am

i thought he was key today in many ways that dont show up in the stat sheet, pretty much always is...your point on the spacing is well made, hes always in the right spot and pretty much is always in position to be the most impactful in that flow, even without touching the ball.

early on he was a force, Lloyd kept running the offense through him and it was productive, keeping Arizona in the game. he also had great hands on the perimeter defensively, many disruptions and deflections.

i keep saying it but it cant be emphasized enough, Illinois hit 16 threes and had a 19-0 run and lost at home, unreal.
Absolutely unreal.

I love the P&R play where Zu hands it off to Kriisa and then rolls diagonally through the lane where he seals his defender allowing either Koloko to slide in behind for an open slam or for Kerr to drive the lane for a floater or layup. He’s like a road-grading offensive lineman on a screen pass in football.

And the high-low works so well through him because he’s such a good passer. His post entry passes to Koloko are not only on target, but allow Koloko to keep his defender on his hip and catch the ball effortlessly in perfect position to score.

I think I’m in love…
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

And his defense has been impressive especially on ball rotations where he steps in front and creates breakaway steals punctuated with a big dunk.

Those are killer plays and demoralizes the opposition.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chi and ‘97

Great insight… thanks
97cats

Post by 97cats »

and...

great point on the seals inside the lane and even the rubs for Koloko creating space. hes 6'11 so he can see over the defense and is beyond his years positioning his feet first then his body. whether screening, passing, shooting, or rebounding hes a force at this level. very gifted in the high post and as mentioned a terrific passer.

consistency like an oak tree, shows up almost the same way every game.

All Conference player
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Tubelis is the main reason we only got down by 13 in the first half and not 20.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:40 am Tubelis is the main reason we only got down by 13 in the first half and not 20.
And he's the reason Arizona cut the lead from like 10 to like 5 or something because the technical foul on Illinois was for pushing Tubelis lol after jawing at the Illinois player

Arizona had scored and got a tech off ball. Mathurin hit both freebies and Arizona kept possession and prevented lead from staying above 10 or ballooning

Kept Arizona in striking distance and killed their momentum

Illinois fans agree

https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/post/ar ... st-1686480
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:58 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:40 am Tubelis is the main reason we only got down by 13 in the first half and not 20.
And he's the reason Arizona cut the lead from like 10 to like 5 or something because the technical foul on Illinois was for pushing Tubelis lol

Arizona had scored and got a tech off ball. Mathurin hit both freebies and Arizona kept possession and the lead from staying above 10 at the half.

Kept Arizona in striking distance

Illinois fans agree

https://www.illinoisloyalty.com/post/ar ... st-1686480
Can't really overstate how vital Tubelis is to this team's success. He's a damn baller.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just needs to hit his FTs. Zu is making 60.7% of his FGs yet only 62% of his FTs.

Just must get the yips really bad when no one covering him and has a set shot.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:11 am and...

great point on the seals inside the lane and even the rubs for Koloko creating space. hes 6'11 so he can see over the defense and is beyond his years positioning his feet first then his body. whether screening, passing, shooting, or rebounding hes a force at this level. very gifted in the high post and as mentioned a terrific passer.

consistency like an oak tree, shows up almost the same way every game.

All Conference player
That's what's striking. 16 (could easily have been 18 or 20 with ft's) 8 reb, 3 ast and 3 steals on the road and it's just no biggie for him.

He just produces well in every facet every time out. I compared him with Zeke Nnaji prior to last year and I briefly thought I was wrong when he struggled early. Now you see it every night, the rare agility for a 6'11 guy combined with a skillset that works from anywhere.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

He plays best when he's a bit pissed off: makes him quicker IMO. And we need a Keyser Söze big. Ballo and Koloko aren't prone to flexing and fucking with the opposition.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Arvydas Sabonis is still growing

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Great pic!!!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:09 pm Arvydas Sabonis is still growing

There are heavy angles in that pic, but it gives a good sense of him vs Domanatas Sabonis, and I've compared Tubelis to Domanatas more than I can count.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Yeah Tautvilas is 3-4" shorter than Ąžuolas.

Look at that little guy in the middle. Probably 6'3" :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:34 pm Yeah Tautvilas is 3-4" shorter than Ąžuolas.

I've posted this before, but my uncle met Steve Kerr and was shocked at how tall he was. He looks small next to 6'9 NBA players, but you forget 6'3 is pretty tall among normal humans.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:53 am
Jefe wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:34 pm Yeah Tautvilas is 3-4" shorter than Ąžuolas.

I've posted this before, but my uncle met Steve Kerr and was shocked at how tall he was. He looks small next to 6'9 NBA players, but you forget 6'3 is pretty tall among normal humans.
I have met him a few times myself (my Dad's best friend knew the family when he attended Pali High) and you are right he is tall. I'm a little under 6'1" but was certainly looking up at him during our conversations at a few parties I attended a while back.

Tall and lanky, like most basketball players you meet.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Ąžuolas won't suffer fools gladly.

In fact, he might just replace the Fargo movie character who wanted pancakes for dinner two nights in a row.

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Shut up Hansen
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:30 am
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Love Zu, but he isnt the passer that Luke was.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
97cats

Post by 97cats »

that was Tutelis for sure out there tonight - flush it
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

97cats wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:53 pm that was Tutelis for sure out there tonight - flush it
:lol:
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

He is arguably our best player. The refs took him out of our first loss. Hampered by injury in second loss. He did look concerning to me in the Washington game. Will be curious to see how the rest of the season goes for him.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Well that's not good! Why have we been playing him? Does it really take 2 weeks to diagnose an ankle sprain correctly?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I thought that was the original diagnosis.

If he can overcome the pain and won’t do any further damage to the leg, playing him might not be the worst thing in the world. But he wasn’t the quickest guy to begin with so his leg hurting can’t be helping his game.