Official Old School thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Official Old School thread

Post by Merkin »

Think that was Chuck Wagon and the Wheels at Stumble Inn. Saw them several times there. Or maybe the other place they performed at.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

That sounds right. Also, they weren't a house band, but here's a shot of Bob Meighan playing there...

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Anyone remember poco loco's on Speedway. Dusty Chaps use to play there all the time. Lots of ladies.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Here's a shot of the Bum Steer somebody shot with a flash that probably caused instant blindness...

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

TheCat wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:45 am Anyone remember poco loco's on Speedway. Dusty Chaps use to play there all the time. Lots of ladies.
THAT'S the house band at Stumble Inn I was trying to remember.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Had a lot of ladies go into the men's bathroom due to the strange signs. Just a trough, and one stall. Wildcat House had a trough urinal too. Guys just lined up shoulder to shoulder.

I would have loved to gone to a sale with all that cool stuff when they closed. Never heard what happened to it all.
TheCatInTheHat wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:47 am Here's a shot of the Bum Steer somebody shot with a flash that probably caused instant blindness...

gouacats

Post by gouacats »

Merkin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:10 am Had a lot of ladies go into the men's bathroom due to the strange signs. Just a trough, and one stall. Wildcat House had a trough urinal too. Guys just lined up shoulder to shoulder.

I would have loved to gone to a sale with all that cool stuff when they closed. Never heard what happened to it all.
It also burned...I think with all the stuff still in it. https://www.kgun9.com/news/local-news/f ... tches-fire

I saw The Tragically Hip at the Tucson Garden back in the early 90s. That was a great show! At least I think it was called the Tucson Garden. It was down the side street from the Wildcat House. Just ran across this as well: https://tucson.com/entertainment/dining ... f37.html#1

Edit - Added link
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:48 am
TheCat wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:45 am Anyone remember poco loco's on Speedway. Dusty Chaps use to play there all the time. Lots of ladies.
The Chaps were a great band, especially the years when they had a horn section.

George Hawk was a friend - played basketball at the Racquet Club…
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I never went to college bars that much. My favorite hangouts were:

Bar on 4th Ave. (name?) with live music early-mid ‘70’s - Jeff Daniels Band played there a lot

The Shanty

Scordato’s (several friends lived at Los Lomas)

Jazz club (on Grant, I think) Jeff Daniels w/Dianne Schurr were regulars

The Solarium

Hidden Valley Inn

And, of course, slumming it at The Buffet
Last edited by pc in NM on Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gouacats wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 10:31 am Just ran across this as well: https://tucson.com/entertainment/dining ... f37.html#1
Some of those must have opened after I left Tucson in 1985. Haven't heard of most of them.

Bet those guys who owned Chances were investigated. I'm not a big fan of discos, but that was a pretty cool club.

Don't recall ever going to Bobby McGees, not sure why, it looks interesting and fun.

Hidden Valley was my favorite steakhouse. Dinners were only $9.99 and that was even after I moved away and would come back to visit.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I never went to college bars that much. My favorite hangouts were:

Bar on 4th Ave. (name?) with live music early-mid ‘70’s - Jeff Daniels Band played there a lot

The Shanty

The Solarium

Hidden Valley Inn

The Palomino (Gekas family-owned)

Last edited by pc in NM on Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

― Kinky Friedman
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:02 am Stray Cat used to have free Godfather's pizza for happy hour if memory serves.
Carcassdragger wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 8:52 pm We didn't do much of the frat rat bars near campus. Boys from my town didn't join frats.
Same.

Went into Dirtbags when they opened, and it was full of pretentious assholes like this. Never went back.

My favorite non-college bar was The Sundance, aka Scumdance. Just a bunch of rowdy guys wearing jeans, t-shirts, and western shirts. Lots of pool tables.
Damn, this is claaaaaassssic! So many dildos like that at U of A when I was there.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 9:48 am
When I was in my bar hopping phase, the Stumble Inn's house band was "Los Lasers" - George's band after the Chaps. Both great bands, but I think the Lasers were the better of the two.

Chuck and the Wheels were out at some east-side bar mostly.

Wait am I mixing up the bars? Was the Stumble Inn down on the Benson Hwy? If not where was it? Los Lasers were at the converted motel restaurant on the Benson Hwy.

EDIT: I found it! It was the Round Up! Los Lasers played at the Round Up, which very surprisingly is STILL THERE. From the street view it looks like it has been renovated. It may be operating as a motel again, but probably low income housing?
Last edited by RichardCranium on Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I forgot to mention "Someplace Else"

Only went there with certain friends...

… a so-called “criminal element”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Saw this about Chuck Wagon and the Wheels.

By Tim Morin
November 1990– Entertainment Magazine, page 7

Chuck Wagon and the Wheels is a premier country/western band, but every fan know they can knock out some pretty mean rock ‘n roll too. Formed in 1977, this local band became familiar to Tucson in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s for it’s satirical music, when they called the Stumble Inn (now Mudbuggs) home.
Best known for their “Country Swings Disco Sucks,” these guys hit #1 on the “Dr. Demento Show’s Funny 5 Countdown” in 1980, closely followed by “The Gas Song (Let’s Drop the Neutron).” Unfortunately, this was released during the Iranian hostage crisis, and wasn’t looked upon as funny. Maybe, it’s time has come now to get some airplay.

After 13 years, five albums, six singles, international airplay, domestic and European tours, and a few changes in the lineup, this band can still get a crowd rowdy, whistling and screaming the names of favorites such as “My Girl Passed Out in her Food,” and “We Ran Out of Gas on the Road to Love.”

Popular in California and Colorado, they have opened for such names as Jerry Jeff Walker, and have been compared to Asleep at the Wheel. Performing on a small, low stage spanning the back wall of Tiny’s Saloon, it seemed to this reporter, like walking into a roadhouse. The only thing missing was the chicken wire in the front of the stage. But as it ruined out, this was not the case. It is a nice comfortable place to meet friends.

Chuck sold the band name which the new owner tarnished it tremendously.

https://tucson.com/news/local/tucson-ba ... 4c6af.html

The Stumble Inn

https://www.setlist.fm/venue/mudbuggs-t ... 60329.html

Address
136 N Park Avenue
Tucson, AZ 85719
USA

The Stumble Inn (1974-1986)
Scarlett's (1986-1987)
Mudbuggs (1987-1991)
Palm Rock (1991-1992)
The Rock (1992-)

Doesn't look familiar.

This is more familiar. Did Chuck play here?

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Haven't heard anyone mention Sugar Mountain lodge or Ray and Red's which was across the street from Choo Choo's. My memory of Sugar Mountain Lodge was on July 4th 1976 came in with 10 friends and ordered 200 beers at once for the bicentennial.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Merkin wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:39 pm Saw this about Chuck Wagon and the Wheels.

By Tim Morin
November 1990– Entertainment Magazine, page 7

Chuck Wagon and the Wheels is a premier country/western band, but every fan know they can knock out some pretty mean rock ‘n roll too. Formed in 1977, this local band became familiar to Tucson in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s for it’s satirical music, when they called the Stumble Inn (now Mudbuggs) home.
Best known for their “Country Swings Disco Sucks,” these guys hit #1 on the “Dr. Demento Show’s Funny 5 Countdown” in 1980, closely followed by “The Gas Song (Let’s Drop the Neutron).” Unfortunately, this was released during the Iranian hostage crisis, and wasn’t looked upon as funny. Maybe, it’s time has come now to get some airplay.

After 13 years, five albums, six singles, international airplay, domestic and European tours, and a few changes in the lineup, this band can still get a crowd rowdy, whistling and screaming the names of favorites such as “My Girl Passed Out in her Food,” and “We Ran Out of Gas on the Road to Love.”

Popular in California and Colorado, they have opened for such names as Jerry Jeff Walker, and have been compared to Asleep at the Wheel. Performing on a small, low stage spanning the back wall of Tiny’s Saloon, it seemed to this reporter, like walking into a roadhouse. The only thing missing was the chicken wire in the front of the stage. But as it ruined out, this was not the case. It is a nice comfortable place to meet friends.

Chuck sold the band name which the new owner tarnished it tremendously.

https://tucson.com/news/local/tucson-ba ... 4c6af.html

The Stumble Inn

https://www.setlist.fm/venue/mudbuggs-t ... 60329.html

Address
136 N Park Avenue
Tucson, AZ 85719
USA

The Stumble Inn (1974-1986)
Scarlett's (1986-1987)
Mudbuggs (1987-1991)
Palm Rock (1991-1992)
The Rock (1992-)

Doesn't look familiar.

This is more familiar. Did Chuck play here?

Red hot women and ice cold beer.

Ice cold women and red hot beer.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I remember the Blue Note on Speedway. Lots of Ladies but in a different way...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:33 am
Can't remember if it was the Blue Note, or the Honey Tree across the street, but I acquired 2 complete sets of mugs and pitchers, think Bud and Coors. The bouncer was at one door, but the exit was another door, so we just walked out with them.

The Love Boat had the better quality talent though. Think it's still around, although under a new name.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:33 am
This was the first bar I ever went to when I was 17. I was watching the ladies when the bouncer came over and said I had to leave. I acted all indignant (assuming it was my age) and asked him why? He told me you had to have shoes on in a bar. That is how clueless I was about stuff at 17. I will add that I went to my car and put on flip flops and came back in. Ladies were rough compared to the Cab down the street.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheCat wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:48 am Ladies were rough compared to the Cab down the street.
They seemed to me to be biker chicks at The Blue Note. Scrawny with lots of tats, and tats weren't all that popular then.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

pc in NM wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:45 pm I forgot to mention "Someplace Else"

Someplace Else had the best drinks and great burgers. What they also had was a microphone (which only a few people knew) in the women's bathroom and if you were at the bar you could hear what they were talking about. Some interesting things were said. They also had a room (unattached to the bar) in the back that was called the "duty hut" which had all kinds of sex toys/devices in it. Jim Anderson was a freak.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:11 pm
TheCat wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 11:48 am Ladies were rough compared to the Cab down the street.
They seemed to me to be biker chicks at The Blue Note. Scrawny with lots of tats, and tats weren't all that popular then.
Exactly.......Bashful Bandit Babes.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheCat wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:44 pm
pc in NM wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:45 pm I forgot to mention "Someplace Else"

Someplace Else had the best drinks and great burgers. What they also had was a microphone (which only a few people knew) in the women's bathroom and if you were at the bar you could hear what they were talking about. Some interesting things were said. They also had a room (unattached to the bar) in the back that was called the "duty hut" which had all kinds of sex toys/devices in it. Jim Anderson was a freak.
Ah yes, The Meat Rack was the sequel I believe. Had a little Chevette(?) with "God" or something on his license plate.

Seemed to recall that whenever someone would buy a condom in the lady's room machine a bell would go off.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If you got Jim Anderson branded on your arm at the Meat Rack you got 50% off of all beers for as long as they were open.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheCat wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:46 pm If you got Jim Anderson branded on your arm at the Meat Rack you got 50% off of all beers for as long as they were open.
Forgot about that! Saw it in person one time. His mother must have been so proud.

Victim of the pandemic.

https://www.kold.com/2020/10/06/legenda ... al-losses/

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I used to go to Someplace Else as the last stop on a date. Great location just north of campus. Cheap drinks, free popcorn, and sit outside by the fire pit late on a cool night, which was nice. Don't recall going inside, but I heard the stories. Never figured that guy out. He literally got on the ballot for mayor once. I'd see him and his "followers" jogging around the campus some mornings waving as the cars went by. Sure seemed cult-like to me.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

pc in NM wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:24 pm I never went to college bars that much. My favorite hangouts were:

The Shanty

The Solarium

Hidden Valley Inn

Ha, here's a Jeff Daniels story.

I live in Big Bay mi. We went to see him play in Bayfield wi. Had a great time, did the Big Bay shuffle, he did his whole schpeel about the origin of that song and how the old ladies at the Lumberjack use each other to stay upright on the dance floor. It was great.

On our way home, we get a call from my mother in law, he is at the Lumberjack bar in Big Bay hanging out and playing music, we were like 2 hours away and missed him.

It's not that exciting, but it was ironic that we went like 5 hours to another state and paid money to see him in a crowded tent when if we would have sat on our butts all weekend, we could have seen him play for free and hang out and drink beers with him for a couple hours.

I'm not a big "ooh it's a celebrity" kind of person, but he seems cool and has done some neat stuff.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Someone told me God (Jim Anderson) got cross with the state on his liquor license and the Rack was in his daughter’s name.

I never checked, but it’s classic God shit he’d pull.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:18 am
pc in NM wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:24 pm I never went to college bars that much. My favorite hangouts were:

The Shanty

The Solarium

Hidden Valley Inn

Ha, here's a Jeff Daniels story.

I live in Big Bay mi. We went to see him play in Bayfield wi. Had a great time, did the Big Bay shuffle, he did his whole schpeel about the origin of that song and how the old ladies at the Lumberjack use each other to stay upright on the dance floor. It was great.

On our way home, we get a call from my mother in law, he is at the Lumberjack bar in Big Bay hanging out and playing music, we were like 2 hours away and missed him.

It's not that exciting, but it was ironic that we went like 5 hours to another state and paid money to see him in a crowded tent when if we would have sat on our butts all weekend, we could have seen him play for free and hang out and drink beers with him for a couple hours.

I'm not a big "ooh it's a celebrity" kind of person, but he seems cool and has done some neat stuff.
Possible confusion here.

I meant Jeff Daniels (aka "Jeff Daniel"), former Tucson musician, not the actor Jeff Daniels.

The Jeff Daniel Group (keyboardist Jeff Daniel, drummer Fred Hayes and bassist Craig Faltin) played in a club on Fourth Avenue in the early '70's, and later Teamed with Dianne Schurr. After the '70's, they moved to LA - Schurr went on to jazz fame and Grammies, Jeff was a studio musician, and played with several traveling acts...

https://www.discogs.com/artist/799569-J ... lter_anv=1

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

wyo-cat wrote: Sat Jul 22, 2023 7:12 am Someone told me God (Jim Anderson) got cross with the state on his liquor license and the Rack was in his daughter’s name.

I never checked, but it’s classic God shit he’d pull.
He was quite a character to say the least. He was was paying rent for 2 college aged girls who lived across the street from my fraternity. The funny thing was they weren’t enrolled in school.

Nicknamed them “The Bohemians”.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Ha! Not the same guy. Thanks for clearing it up.
I'm talking about Jeff Daniels from Dumb and Dumber and RV.
Still a fun story to tell. I have more that I'm just waiting to throw out there at the faintest chance that it might be relatable to a given topic.
God save you if we start talking about crazy ex-wives.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Anybody go to Choo Choo's (later the night train) or Ray and Red's? Great live band at Choo Choo's called Weasel.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TheCat wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:16 pm Anybody go to Choo Choo's (later the night train) or Ray and Red's? Great live band at Choo Choo's called Weasel.
Yep, I saw Rick Derringer & Randy Hansen at Night Train
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Yep, I would occasionally go to the Night Stain.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Saw this on Bear Down Network. I believe EastCoastCat and I are in this picture somewhere or just off camera.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 3:23 am Yep, I would occasionally go to the Night Stain.
Choo Choo's became the Night Train later on.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:53 pm Saw this on Bear Down Network. I believe EastCoastCat and I are in this picture somewhere or just off camera.

I’m somewhere around there but if my memory serves me right there was a lot of chaos once the goalpost went down and my buddies and I grabbed it around midfield.

We ran with it out of the north end zone which at that time used to have just a chain link fence on either side of that small grandstand that was there.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Hooligans!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:56 am Hooligans!
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

84Cat wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:22 pm
Wow! That's great news!! I really liked him. I especially remember him on the baseline in the 1-3-1 defense - a real disrupter!

― Kinky Friedman
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fred “The Fox” Snowden (right) and Georgetown’s John Thompson had a discussion with a referee after a Hoya was given a technical for spitting on an Arizona player in an NCAA first round game played on March 13, 1976, in Tempe.

Forgot how tall Thompson was.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Jim Anderson still drives the yellow Ford Festiva. I saw him a few months ago at the Wendy’s at St Mary’s and Silverbell.
I have heard the story about liquor license and his daughter also.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:19 pm Jim Anderson still drives the yellow Ford Festiva. I saw him a few months ago at the Wendy’s at St Mary’s and Silverbell.
I have heard the story about liquor license and his daughter also.

This one? Probably belongs in this thread. https://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewto ... =13&t=1176

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Don't move that paperclip on the plate, the whole car might fall apart if you do!
-Norlander.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »