Official Old School thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Official Old School thread

Post by Merkin »

He looks like can still ball and probably does.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Mike Bibby talking about the 97 run

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvxw3vSscZ7/
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

pc in NM wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:00 am
RichardCranium wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 10:14 pm
azcat49 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 6:49 pm Was with you guys from about 79-83 at the wildcat house, bens, green Dolphin and the converted church house that was a lot of fun but I can’t remember the name( I think it burned down)
The 'converted church' was Dooley's.

I saw Muddy Waters and John Mayall there.

When Mayall played there, it was a stinking hot day, and he came out wearing NOTHING but a pair of cutoff jeans. No shirt, no shoes, I have no idea how he got served. :lol:

I thought it was just the right size for intimate shows like that. And the balcony worked really well. I was front row balcony for Mayall, and front row center for Muddy Waters. The stage for each was set up at opposite ends of the room. It was really flexible. Tucson lost a great place in that fire. I heard it was an insurance job - is that true?
I saw Taj Mahal @ Dooley's/Stray Cat - perfect venue for a great artist giving an awesome performance!!

wow! when / where was dooley's around? looks like an amazing spot.

idk what reminded me of this, but does anyone remember THE DASH near the corner of speedway & campbell? it was next to a hair salon (university hair? or university cuts? something like that) and where i think brueggers bagels is now. rumor at the time was that the bar had a dba so it could show up on receipts as "the dash books" - so rich kids would run up tabs on their parents' credit cards and it would look like school supply purchases on the statements. the other rumor was that they eventually got totally busted for it and had to shut down!

some other memories that come to mind are 10 cent wings at long wong's (or was it the green dolphin?) on wednesdays, downing a buffalo sweat at the buffet on my 21st, and $1 miller lowlifes at the fineline - the best deal in town. my friend also had a drink concocted there in his honor. and i remember long wong's also had a very short-lived "free till you pee" happy hour thing where everyone got to drink for free until someone used the bathroom. you can probably imagine the types of problems it created. worst (best) promotion ever, ahah
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

oh, also the margarita machine at two pesos was a godsend during the summer!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Dooley's used to be a church, Methodist then Baptist.

Believe this is the location where it was.

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

My Dad used to come visit me and loved Dooley’s. Used to crack me up.

The apple didn’t fall too far…
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Was the Dash on Campbell, in the strip mall south of the hotel?

Where was Long Wongs?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:27 pm Dooley's used to be a church, Methodist then Baptist.

Believe this is the location where it was.

It was on the north side of Speedway a little west of Euclid. I think Dooley's was the most awesome bar Tucson ever had. The interior lighting was purple and Todd Rundgren and a number of other pretty big names played concerts there. It was part of a college circuit of bars at fairly major universities with rotating concerts, but that didn't last too long until it went under and became the Stray Cat, before the insurance or protection racket fire. Park Mall used to have a bar with halfway decent bands that rotated through the southwest. They had a huge frozen rum drink called a Tombstone, and a couple of those would knock you for a loop. Not exactly romantic, but that contributed to me proposing to my wife. Must not have been too bad, because here we still are.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

You can see the Aggie house in that top picture.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Was two pesos where stray cat was? Or was it the place at 6th and speedway?
They were about the same concept.
I believe the margarita machine was at Euclid and University.
Last edited by Postmaster on Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:39 pm [quote=Merkin post_id=623476 time=1712172465

It was on the north side of Speedway a little west of Euclid.

Dooley's was not on the north side of Speedway. It was on the corner of Euclid and University I think.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dirtbags wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:02 pm

idk what reminded me of this, but does anyone remember THE DASH near the corner of speedway & campbell? it was next to a hair salon (university hair? or university cuts? something like that) and where i think brueggers bagels is now. rumor at the time was that the bar had a dba so it could show up on receipts as "the dash books" - so rich kids would run up tabs on their parents' credit cards and it would look like school supply purchases on the statements. the other rumor was that they eventually got totally busted for it and had to shut down!
During my time in the little strip mall on the NW corner of Speedway and Park was a little grocery store called Market Spot (AKA Markup Spot), that hair salon was Cut & Dry (Cut & Cry), and Maxie's Hot Dogs.

Maxie's had 3 hot dogs for 99 cents and 99 cent or 1.50 small pitchers of Old Milwaukee (Old Swil). My freshman year I hadn't turned 19 and didn't have a fake ID but they never carded anyone.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
-JB
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:24 pm
TheCatInTheHat wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:39 pm [quote=Merkin post_id=623476 time=1712172465

Dooley's was not on the north side of Speedway. It was in the corner of Euclid and University I think.
Yes. 👍
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RichardCranium wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:49 am
UAEebs86 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:24 pm

Dooley's was not on the north side of Speedway. It was in the corner of Euclid and University I think.
Yes. 👍
Not that I would know from ever being inside, it burned down the summer between my freshman and sophomore years, 3 months before I turned 19 and was never able to go - it looked so cool.
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Speaking of places that burned down, The Hut is back?

Radical
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:17 pm Was two pesos where stray cat was? Or was it the place at 6th and speedway?
It was on Speedway and Euclid. (Kidding...ayyy.) Yeah, it's where the Visitor Center is now. Best thing about that is they were open until 2 am, so when other places closed down, you could go there to get an early breakfast of a burrito and something to wash it down with.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:24 am
Postmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:17 pm Was two pesos where stray cat was? Or was it the place at 6th and speedway?
It was on Speedway and Euclid. (Kidding...ayyy.) Yeah, it's where the Visitor Center is now. Best thing about that is they were open until 2 am, so when other places closed down, you could go there to get an early breakfast of a burrito and something to wash it down with.
Isn't Two Pesos a very similar concept to Taco Cabana? I think there were some TC's in Arizona at one time. I used to like to go there when I lived in El Paso. I think Sean Elliott did commercials for the ones in San Antonio.
-JB
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I think I only went to a Taco Cabana maybe once in San Antonio for some quick takeout, so I don't remember much about it, except the food was pretty good. IIRC, Two Pesos was fairly big, with a lot of tables, and also decent food. They had kind of a big switchback to get to a long counter, and a trough full of ice with bottles of beer you could grab as you slid your tray along to the cashier. I think I only went there for after hours in a big group, and that was what the whole crowd was about, so it was fun.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Ok
Iirc, 2 Pesos had some nachos with liquid cheese but not really nacho cheese like you’d get at a ball game.

There was a place at Speedway and 6th that was very similar. It was also a wing place and probably where the long wongs was.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:16 pm You can see the Aggie house in that top picture.
good eye!! i looked up dooley's and read that the fire happened just months before revenge of the nerds was filmed at the uofa. i wonder if the dooley's incident inspired the alpha beta house going up in flames in the movie. the two buildings looked very similar and were like a block from each other
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:42 pm Ok
Iirc, 2 Pesos had some nachos with liquid cheese but not really nacho cheese like you’d get at a ball game.

There was a place at Speedway and 6th that was very similar. It was also a wing place and probably where the long wongs was.
long wong's was on the southside of campus on 6th street somewhere between park ave & the rec, not far from zachary's pizza and fairwheel bikes. the place was kind of a dive with cheap booze and lots of unhealthy food (wings, deep fried cheese, etc.) - perfect for college-aged me! the back patio i think was literally plastic lawn furniture and stacked milk crates.

i seem to remember a place called cluck-u chicken on speedway that might've been near 6th. one time while we were there, a kid ordered a basket of the nuclear (or whatever) hotwings which was supposed to be insanely spicy and off of the heat chart they had on the wall. he was dripping with sweat and shaking, but finished his entire order! everyone was watching. as soon as he swallowed the last bite, he darted out the door and jumped over a wall. we all ran out to see where the guy went - he was on the floor of the 7-11 next door chugging a gallon of milk and spilling it everywhere, haha.

i think greasy tony's also had longwong's style wings and junkfood and was somewhere just off campus on speedway. if you're thinking of a mexican place in the same area, maybe sanchez burrito company? idk, it's kind of a blur.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Greasy Tony's was on the south side of Speedway, between Park and Euclid. I don't recall Sanchez being around there
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

dirtbags wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:56 pm long wong's was on the southside of campus on 6th street somewhere between park ave & the rec, not far from zachary's pizza and fairwheel bikes. the place was kind of a dive with cheap booze and lots of unhealthy food (wings, deep fried cheese, etc.) - perfect for college-aged me! the back patio i think was literally plastic lawn furniture and stacked milk crates.

i seem to remember a place called cluck-u chicken on speedway that might've been near 6th. one time while we were there, a kid ordered a basket of the nuclear (or whatever) hotwings which was supposed to be insanely spicy and off of the heat chart they had on the wall. he was dripping with sweat and shaking, but finished his entire order! everyone was watching. as soon as he swallowed the last bite, he darted out the door and jumped over a wall. we all ran out to see where the guy went - he was on the floor of the 7-11 next door chugging a gallon of milk and spilling it everywhere, haha.

i think greasy tony's also had longwong's style wings and junkfood and was somewhere just off campus on speedway. if you're thinking of a mexican place in the same area, maybe sanchez burrito company? idk, it's kind of a blur.
I miss Zach's Pizza...that place was tasty! Also...good beer before good beer was really a thing.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Cluck you. That was the name. I do recall long wongs being on 6th now.
Greasy Tony’s had a second location on 6th for a bit also.

The Mexican place was where cluck U was. It was a knock off 2 pesos. They didn’t last too long.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looking him up, Brase played in 26 games, made 8 2PT and 1 3PT. Well done!

Cats sure could have used Salim the last few years. Too bad he never caught on in the league.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I love how that 97 promo made a Kentucky title look inevitable. :D
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller