Official Old School thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Official Old School thread

Post by Chicat »

This article on the 95 pre-season NIT is awesome...

http://www.si.com/vault/1995/12/04/2087 ... season-nit" target="_blank
Arizona exposed Georgetown's fundamental flaw by cool counterexample. "We're a team here," said Geary, who was Iverson's counselor at a Nike camp two years ago. "We're not a one-man dribbling exhibition." But the Wildcats also showed up the Hoyas with efficient execution. They doubled up on Iverson when he came off screens. "Late in the game he got tired, and his teammates weren't helping him," Simon would later say. "Maybe he was wasting some oxygen running his mouth with Reggie." The Cats also broke the Hoya press with surgical passes up the floor, leaving Georgetown in much the same quandary as the 1988 U.S. Olympic team Thompson coached to a disappointing bronze medal finish: When the team's furious defense provided few chances to score, there was little else to fall back on offensively.

Mention to Geary that the teams the Wildcats beat in the Preseason NIT are all young ones, and you do so at your peril. Geary thinks that observation is encoded with the dreaded disrespect. "Don't be telling me all those excuses," he said. "They'll say Georgetown's young, Coach Thompson had a cold, that their mascot wasn't loud enough. This ain't no fluke. We got down and got dirtier than they did."
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

John Thompson is probably the most overrated Division I college basketball coach in history.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

catgrad97 wrote:John Thompson is probably the most overrated Division I college basketball coach in history.
I recall his coaching strategy was: Just roll out the ball and let them play
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

I remember his coaching strategy as being having one of his goons spit in the face of one of our star players trying to incite a fight that would get him thrown out of the game. March 13, 1976 NCAA Regionals Tempe, AZ. It didn't do him any good. Arizona won 83-76 on route to the first elite eight in school history.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Off topic: Georgetown does have some interesting and useful admissions policies though:

How Do Descendants of Slaves Find Their Ancestors?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

walk-on-wildcat

Post by walk-on-wildcat »

My first post. I'm a newbie here. Too bad the original thread is gone. And all those original programs from the 70s and newspaper clippings are gone as well.:( Probably in a landfill somewhere back in Ohio.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

walk-on-wildcat wrote:My first post. I'm a newbie here. Too bad the original thread is gone. And all those original programs from the 70s and newspaper clippings are gone as well.:( Probably in a landfill somewhere back in Ohio.
Posted in the PGU thread - nice to have you here :D . You are no newbie. Is there any way that we could work on recreating the "old School" thread?
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

walk-on-wildcat wrote:My first post. I'm a newbie here. Too bad the original thread is gone. And all those original programs from the 70s and newspaper clippings are gone as well.:( Probably in a landfill somewhere back in Ohio.

Good to see you posting again. Seems like it's been a while. 8-)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

walk-on-wildcat

Now that IS old school!

Kaibab....there's a link to it? Probably might not work, but it's worth a try. Merkin would have found a way.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

My family moved to Tucson in 72. I got to watch it all and went to many of those games during the early Snowden years. Those were some fun teams to watch. Could have won more if they were more committed to defense.
walk-on-wildcat

Popcorn with movie theatre butter
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.delmartimes.net/sddmt-carmel ... story.html" target="_blank

In Crust they trust.

Kimia and Matt Othick have opened a Crust Pizzeria in Torrey Hills Shopping Center and hope to build a thriving community eatery with the same winning recipe as their first location in Carlsbad: an adult- and family-friendly pizza place with a really good, high-quality product.

When they opened their doors in late September in Torrey Hills, the restaurant was bombarded. more...
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Anyone else catch the 1995 Arizona/Georgetown game that was on TV Sunday? It was the preseason NIT in Madison Square Garden and we fell out of the Top 25 after losing Stoudamire to the draft. Dickerson went down early in the game with an ankle injury and McLean stepped up big time. Sophomore Allen Iverson jammed a finger, bruised an elbow and still put up 40 points but Geary, Simon, Davis, and Blair were unstoppable. We wound up winning 91-81 and beat 3 top 16 teams in that tournament

Article on the game: https://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/26/spor ... efeat.html" target="_blank

That season: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html" target="_blank
Stats: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /1996.html" target="_blank

I hate to say it but our current team would have lost by 25+ to those guys. I wonder if our guys ever watch old game films of Lute's teams. They need to!

MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

[quote="Jefe"]Anyone else catch the 1995 Arizona/Georgetown game that was on TV Sunday? It was the preseason NIT in Madison Square Garden and we fell out of the Top 25 after losing Stoudamire to the draft. Dickerson went down early in the game with an ankle injury and McLean stepped up big time. Sophomore Allen Iverson jammed a finger, bruised an elbow and still put up 40 points but Geary, Simon, Davis, and Blair were unstoppable. We wound up winning 91-81 and beat 3 top 16 teams in that tournament

Article on the game: https://www.nytimes.com/1995/11/26/spor ... efeat.html" target="_blank

That season: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... edule.html" target="_blank

I hate to say it but our current team would have lost by 25+ to those guys. I wonder if our guys ever watch old game films of Lute's teams. They need to!

Lute's teams were such fun to watch. You always knew the "spurt of death" was coming (thank you Jason Kapono for that).
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

That is great to see. Congratulations, Herm.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Ivan! Still remember that Stanford game from his senior year. One of the best individual games I have ever seen a Wildcat play. Nice to see he is still playing in Europe
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Jefe wrote:Anyone else catch the 1995 Arizona/Georgetown game that was on TV Sunday? It was the preseason NIT in Madison Square Garden and we fell out of the Top 25 after losing Stoudamire to the draft. Dickerson went down early in the game with an ankle injury and McLean stepped up big time. Sophomore Allen Iverson jammed a finger, bruised an elbow and still put up 40 points but Geary, Simon, Davis, and Blair were unstoppable. We wound up winning 91-81 and beat 3 top 16 teams in that tournament

Same day we came back from 14 down with 6:40 left to beat ASU in Sun Devil Stadium in football. UA fans were flooding out of the stadium listening to the early parts of that game, looking for somewhere to go watch it.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Found a strapping young Jason Terry in my binder of old NBA Cards:

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

And another:

“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Anybody else not seeing the images?
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

Ditto.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

There are some painful links there.

Lingerie loser.
That’s a phase you won’t hear during a game these days
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

MrMeow wrote:
Jefe wrote:Anyone else catch the 1995 Arizona/Georgetown game that was on TV Sunday? It was the preseason NIT in Madison Square Garden and we fell out of the Top 25 after losing Stoudamire to the draft. Dickerson went down early in the game with an ankle injury and McLean stepped up big time. Sophomore Allen Iverson jammed a finger, bruised an elbow and still put up 40 points but Geary, Simon, Davis, and Blair were unstoppable. We wound up winning 91-81 and beat 3 top 16 teams in that tournament

Lute's teams were such fun to watch. You always knew the "spurt of death" was coming (thank you Jason Kapono for that).
Ya know, I think the Arizona/Georgetown "rivalry" is one of my absolute favorites. No animosity, just darn honest, hard fought, entertaining, win some, lose some, contests ever since Fred Snowden booked 'em and beat 'em. I love it. I don't even care what the win/loss record is (probably close to even I suppose), I just think the games with them have always been entertaining and honest, I'll say it again, honest. You can't say that with ASU or Duke or UCLA.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

The first Arizona/Georgetown meeting was during the NCAA's and the game was played in Tempe. It is the game where a Georgetown player walked up to Al Fleming and, in an attempt to get him to retaliate and get thrown from the game, hawked up a great big goober and spit directly into Al's face. It didn't work. Al went on to be the player of that game in an Arizona win.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't follow this site, but this was retweeted by someone who does:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Boycott. Fuck this guy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Image

Boycott. Fuck this guy.
I'm gonna need some context.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Sevun.

It's got to be him.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

SEC Network is showing 1990 AZ vs LSU right now.
I know we lose but it’s crazy seeing all these guys.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Watching the 2001 Ikon Classic game against #3 Maryland.

The team was 3 juniors and 6 freshmen, resulting from having lost most of the Final Four team from the year before and the NCAA having a real dumb scholarship limit rule.

Channing and Salim were the best freshmen, although Isaiah Fox and Will Bynum started over them.

We played a ton of zone against a Maryland team that had Juan Dixon, Lonny Baxter, Steve Blake, and Chris Wilcox. And we look good doing it. Pretty crazy for having a really thin bench with a ton of freshmen (Dennis Latimore? Andrew Zahn?).

Our first five games that season were:

#2 Maryland (W)
#5 Florida (W)
#23 Texas (W)
#8 Kansas (L)
#5 Illinois (W)

Crazy....

Dick Vitale called the game. I shit you not, he mentioned Duke in the first 20 seconds of the broadcast. Fucker...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:Watching the 2001 Ikon Classic game against #3 Maryland.

The team was 3 juniors and 6 freshmen, resulting from having lost most of the Final Four team from the year before and the NCAA having a real dumb scholarship limit rule.

Channing and Salim were the best freshmen, although Isaiah Fox and Will Bynum started over them.

We played a ton of zone against a Maryland team that had Juan Dixon, Lonny Baxter, Steve Blake, and Chris Wilcox. And we look good doing it. Pretty crazy for having a really thin bench with a ton of freshmen (Dennis Latimore? Andrew Zahn?).

Our first five games that season were:

#2 Maryland (W)
#5 Florida (W)
#23 Texas (W)
#8 Kansas (L)
#5 Illinois (W)

Crazy....

Dick Vitale called the game. I shit you not, he mentioned Duke in the first 20 seconds of the broadcast. Fucker...
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

I cut my hair with a spoon!
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:Image
I was there...

... Great day! And, touring bars around Lawrence afterward, I found the majority of Jayhawk fans to be both complimentary and respectful....

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5EC40E37
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Guess you didn’t run into enfuego.
-JB
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Being ranked number one and beating another top-tier program ranked in the top ten on the road (out of conference) seems like a lifetime ago. AZ had it with Miller for five minutes about five years ago.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I saw this article shared on social media yesterday about Steve Kerr being cut from the US Olympic team by John Thompson back in '88. My memory was that Sean Elliott was left off the team because he had sustained a bad cut from broken glass right before tryouts. But other articles revealed that Thompson cut Elliott based on skill/talent/need. That seems unconscionable -- no wonder the US lost to the veteran Soviet team in the semis in Seoul. And funny how Lute won the '86 World Championship with Kerr & Elliott two years prior.

https://www.basketballnetwork.net/no-ke ... 9NVpKCtClA" target="_blank
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Game 1 at McKale. Posted on FB by Glenn Biickley

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The best part of that Kerr video was how loud the crowd was at Tempe Normal