UCLA rivalry

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: UCLA rivalry

Post by pc in NM »

Pac-12 Tourney final could be colossal!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I will say UCLA is more experienced and actually more talented in many ways, mainly because they are all older, 2-Sr., 3-Jr starting, vs our 1-Jr, 4 Soph starting...but UofA is definitely more athletic, bigger, stronger and given the same amount of time we will be better talented...

We never really lost control of this game which is a good sign, we did move away from pounding it inside and that sludged it up a bit but overall great bounce back by the Cats
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

UCLA is good, not overrated and are a top 10 team themselves. We were better tonight but they beat us at home and came back from a deficit tonight in McKale. It is great to see both teams be good and top teams.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:22 pm I will say UCLA is more experienced and they are all older, 2-Sr., 3-Jr starting, vs our 1-Jr, 4 Soph starting...but UofA is definitely more athletic, bigger, stronger and given the same amount of time we will be better talented...
exactly... it the time is nigh.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

ASUHATER! wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:23 pm UCLA is good, not overrated and are a top 10 team themselves. We were better tonight but they beat us at home and came back from a deficit tonight in McKale. It is great to see both teams be good and top teams.
It is rare you beat a team that shoots 22 more shots than you do. Our defense won us this game. We sure got stagnant on O at the final 10 minute mark.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Glad we won a game against UCLA..........finally. However I wasn't too thrilled with the 'overrated' chants. Totally ridiculous and inappropriate. Let's not forget they ran us out of the gym a few days ago. I know it's a rivalry game but it just annoys me when certain fans act like that. Do better.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

TheCat wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:35 pm
ASUHATER! wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:23 pm UCLA is good, not overrated and are a top 10 team themselves. We were better tonight but they beat us at home and came back from a deficit tonight in McKale. It is great to see both teams be good and top teams.
It is rare you beat a team that shoots 22 more shots than you do. Our defense won us this game. We sure got stagnant on O at the final 10 minute mark.

The last 4 minutes were understandable for the bad offensive effort. Ballo and Koloko are not going to be good for floor spacing or creating, but that defense....ohhh so nice. I personally didn't understand Mathurin getting the hook as I felt Kerr was the weak link that let UCLA back in the game. Tommy made the gutsy decision though, turned out OK. Kind of impressed he would go way outside the box to secure a win.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I heart Kerr Kriisa.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:43 pm Glad we won a game against UCLA..........finally. However I wasn't too thrilled with the 'overrated' chants. Totally ridiculous and inappropriate. Let's not forget they ran us out of the gym a few days ago. I know it's a rivalry game but it just annoys me when certain fans act like that. Do better.
I took it as a “sarcastic” chant since they did that to us last week……Anyone who actually thinks they are over-rated doesn’t know squat about college hoops IMHO or they are just being ‘young and dumb’…….Hope Coach will advise them to stop that crap UNLESS it’s Duke :lol:

Anyways, the chants stopped when Pelle turned it over at the 17 second mark. Still a great win and I won’t begrudge them for the fun they had. BTFD and let’s keep rolling over U$C!
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

If UCLA did it to us, I have no issue with the Zoo doing it tonight.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Honestly Kerr can be a bit much at times. I wish he would channel that energy a little better but happy he is getting back to normal as far as playing.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

TheCat wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:07 pm Honestly Kerr can be a bit much at times. I wish he would channel that energy a little better but happy he is getting back to normal as far as playing.
Yea that cocky thing can get you into trouble and frankly I think Lloyd lets them play but Krissa is one player he needs to keep on a shorter leash or at least make him wear a shock collar when he fucks up things for the team...like saying "Who invited these refs?"...I'm pretty sure that is the "horsing around" that sent him to the locker room (injury) and NOT to the bench with his teammates...
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Damn that dude got arrested for assault
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Fishclamps wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:30 pm Damn that dude got arrested for assault
What?!
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:50 pm
Fishclamps wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:30 pm Damn that dude got arrested for assault
What?!
Spitting on someone is actually assault, doing it during covid might be worse...

If Cronin keeps him on the team he's an idiot.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

He is a kid that did an emotional thing. Let him go. We don't need any distractions and the kid needs to be disciplined by his coach/university.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why is there more criticism of players on our team who play with emotion than some asshole who literally spit on our fans?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

TheCat wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:23 pm He is a kid that did an emotional thing. Let him go. We don't need any distractions and the kid needs to be disciplined by his coach/university.
If it was up to me I would never tolerate that kind of behavior if I was a coach, you are building a culture and building players, yes I see your point regarding an emotional player, but as a culture UCLA is already borderline gangster with the bs that happened in China with shoplifting...its now a cultural decision...

Much like Miller fucked UofA by letting Book stay on after the Vegas thing, allowing this kind of culture will end up biting you in the ass...Cronin needs to control the culture or the culture controls him.

The kid needs to go...mainly because it did it TWICE in the same game, once at halftime and then spit again at the end of the game...that is beyond emotions it is a pattern, there was no reason to do it either time...I get being emotional, but if you do it twice its a pattern.
Bangkok Wildcat

TheCat wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:23 pm He is a kid that did an emotional thing. Let him go. We don't need any distractions and the kid needs to be disciplined by his coach/university.
Although I agree on not needing any distractions, I strongly disagree on the “Let him go” sentiment. Young adults, especially highly privileged Student Athletes, need to be held accountable for their actions so they learn about repercussions, etc.

Word is he did this at halftime as well as end of game. What he did was assault and could have gotten really ugly, really quick. There is ZERO room for this kind of behavior even without the Covid situation. This is such a nasty and disgusting act that I can’t even comprehend why he, or anyone, would think this is ok or acceptable! He’s so lucky he still has his teeth IMHO…..and I’m surprised there was no retaliation or escalation (probably due to that UCLA Coach being right on top of it…well-done).

This punk needs to be held just as accountable as any of the other 14,000 “normal” people in that arena would have been if they had done it!
Bangkok Wildcat

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... izona-fans

Glad he’s getting press on this….enjoy it you little punk.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I don’t know how they let this guy sit on the bench for another game. That’s about as unsportsmanlike conduct you’ll ever see off the court. Getting heckled is part of the sport. You don’t see anyone else spitting at fans. This guy’s head ain’t right.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

One thing I will say moved the needle for me in this game was the way Lloyd game planned for Tyger...I noticed right off the bat he kept longer players on him even letting Krissa get mismatched by other players...Lloyd recognized right away that he controls a lot of what happens, he still scored the same as last time (9) but Lloyd saw that Tyger also controls a lot of the offense and he was not able to make all those little elbow drifters he made last time...
I think it was pretty smart to move Krissa OFF tyger as much as possible in D and keep them stagnant...

Lloyd can coach.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I don't think you understand how assault charges work. You think it's our team pressing charges?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Idiot!

…and they were the ones in Covid Protocols and had to postpone numerous games. No place for this.

UCLA (or the PAC 12) needs to ban him from road trips the remainder of the year, including all tournaments. When at home, he can sit at the end of the bench and required to wear mask, unlike his teammates.

…his Coach probably won’t go for it though.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Really fun having a top 10 matchup in McKale last night. Felt good to be in that building.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He committed a crime on video in front of 14,000 people. It's not like it happened as part of the game either, like trying to charge someone for a hard foul.

It's gonna be what it's gonna be and our program has no role in it. How UCLA wants to handle him is up to them, but this is about as cut and dried in terms of a criminal case as you get. You don't usually have multiple video angles and thousands of witnesses.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:27 pm Why is there more criticism of players on our team who play with emotion than some asshole who literally spit on our fans?
The definition of whataboutism
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:22 am
He committed a crime on video in front of 14,000 people. It's not like it happened as part of the game either, like trying to charge someone for a hard foul.

It's gonna be what it's gonna be and our program has no role in it. How UCLA wants to handle him is up to them, but this is about as cut and dried in terms of a criminal case as you get. You don't usually have multiple video angles and thousands of witnesses.
The kid needs to learn that as an athlete in such an environment, there are standars that he needs to comply with - he's a kid, and no reason to expect that he won't learn from a second chance...

IMNSHO, the fan, OTOH, was behaving like an asshole and that should be regarded as below U of A standards!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

🙄
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

19 year olds aren't children.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:30 am 19 year olds aren't children.
Yet somehow my 9 and 6 year old boys know not to spit on people.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:46 pm
Although I agree on not needing any distractions, I strongly disagree on the “Let him go” sentiment. Young adults, especially highly privileged Student Athletes, need to be held accountable for their actions so they learn about repercussions, etc.

Word is he did this at halftime as well as end of game. What he did was assault and could have gotten really ugly, really quick. There is ZERO room for this kind of behavior even without the Covid situation. This is such a nasty and disgusting act that I can’t even comprehend why he, or anyone, would think this is ok or acceptable! He’s so lucky he still has his teeth IMHO…..and I’m surprised there was no retaliation or escalation (probably due to that UCLA Coach being right on top of it…well-done).

This punk needs to be held just as accountable as any of the other 14,000 “normal” people in that arena would have been if they had done it!
My comment was before I knew he did it at halftime also. I think that is why they had a coach with him at the end of the game. I know how assaults' are charged and that Az. wasn't the one bringing charges. I still believe it will be his coach and university punishment that is most effective. I also thought when they said arrested that they may have taken him into custody. Bottom line I don't want our coaches or players dealing with any distraction. Let Mick do that.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:48 am

The kid needs to learn that as an athlete in such an environment, there are standars that he needs to comply with - he's a kid, and no reason to expect that he won't learn from a second chance...

IMNSHO, the fan, OTOH, was behaving like an asshole and that should be regarded as below U of A standards!
Are the standards as an athlete somehow lower than the standards as a human being?

And in your mind is it worse to make a rude gesture than to spit on people multiple times? Because if so . . . whew, you have certainly outdone yourself PC. A+ work there my man.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:48 am

"My brother, you know, he's a lot more compassioniate than I am. He's lookin' and the limo's driving off and he says 'Wow man, Rick really needs help'. I was like 'Sho, we just gave him some help! Busted his f**kin' ass. I betcha he won't come over here and disrespect like that again.' WRONG! WRONG! You're talking about Rick James, man."

--Charlie Murphy

His life isn't over, but there's nothing odd about getting a charge when you do something that is obviously criminal...and are stupid enough to do it on video in a crowded arena. Sometimes that's how some people wind up having to learn.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The defense of a grown man spitting on a person, not just once, is something else.

Let me know when Cronin does anything.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

at ucla, you can be a shoplifting, crowd-spitting bench player, and it won't impact your eligibility apparently.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Olsondogg wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:31 pm The defense of a grown man spitting on a person, not just once, is something else.

Let me know when Cronin does anything.
Has UCLA come out with the "We're going to wait for ALL the facts to come in before rushing to judgement" statement yet?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It’s crickets out there.

My buddy, a ucla grad, texted the link to the ESPN article this morning saying Cronin should suspend for the year.

But Cronin didn’t do anything yet.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He is out for the year anyway, so have to suspend him for next season? He won't stay around for that, which may be a good thing.

LA Times blaming the UA fans

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/20 ... of-insults

TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona students had been relentless in their hostility. Each time UCLA players on their way to and from the locker room passed beneath the cluster of seats that housed the student section known as the ZonaZoo on Thursday night, boos and insults showered over the Bruins.

The antagonism inside Tucson’s McKale Center intensified when UCLA players shot free throws, students chanting “F— you, Tyger!” at point guard Tyger Campbell and “F— you, Johnny!” at Johnny Juzang. The students were particularly aggressive in their animosity toward Campbell after he got tangled up with Arizona’s Pelle Larsson, earning each player a technical foul.
Inside this cauldron of obscene, extreme hostility tensions bubbled over after the third-ranked Bruins’ 76-66 loss to the seventh-ranked Wildcats.

As the Bruins walked off the court toward the tunnel to their locker room, nearby students jeered and pointed, one flashing a thumbs-down. Video released after the game showed UCLA redshirt freshman forward Mac Etienne, wearing a white T-shirt and black pants rather than game togs because he has been sidelined by a season-ending knee injury, making two spitting motions at the students.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Now that's a trashy article....
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

LOL @ spitting "motions". He SPIT. He didn't "make a spitting motion".

So now razzing, cursing, and jeering opposing players, which is done EVERYWHERE, BTW is now "hostility. aggressive, animosity", and "cauldron of extreme hostility".

Horrifying that one student would flash a thumbs down.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh no, not a thumbs down
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Did they get Etienne’s mom to write that article?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Apparently after the Tyger tech on larsson, Tommy and Mick had words after Mick went after Dalen.

I wasn’t paying attention to that from my seats but I did see Tommy pretty fired up, not like Miller throwing his jacket, but fired up for him.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Mick the Dick
-JB
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:55 pm [i]TEMPE, Ariz. — Arizona students had been relentless in their hostility. Each time UCLA players on their way to and from the locker room passed beneath the cluster of seats that housed the student section known as the ZonaZoo on Thursday night, boos and insults showered over the Bruins.

The antagonism inside Tucson’s McKale Center intensified when UCLA players shot free throws, students chanting “F— you, Tyger!” at point guard Tyger Campbell and “F— you, Johnny!” at Johnny Juzang. The students were particularly aggressive in their animosity toward Campbell after he got tangled up with Arizona’s Pelle Larsson, earning each player a technical foul.
Inside this cauldron of obscene, extreme hostility tensions bubbled over after the third-ranked Bruins’ 76-66 loss to the seventh-ranked Wildcats.

As the Bruins walked off the court toward the tunnel to their locker room, nearby students jeered and pointed, one flashing a thumbs-down. Video released after the game showed UCLA redshirt freshman forward Mac Etienne, wearing a white T-shirt and black pants rather than game togs because he has been sidelined by a season-ending knee injury, making two spitting motions at the students.
[/i]
I was a little worried there about student behavior before I saw this happened at ASU.