UCLA rivalry

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCat

Re: UCLA rivalry

Post by TheCat »

I agree the Bruins play hard. That is not the only way I judge a coach.
In postgame, Cronin explained that Singleton was following instructions and was their best 3 pt shooter while Jules plus others weren't "following instructions".

Now that is a coach with some accountability.

I also think there is a HUGE difference between Miller and Cronin.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Chicat wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:48 am Cronin always gets his players to play hard for him. It’s one of his least attractive qualities in my opinion.
Unfortunately not last night but most the time yes
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheCat wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:09 am I also think there is a HUGE difference between Miller and Cronin.
For one, Cronin owned Miller!
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I think Cronin is a bit of a hothead and maybe whines a bit much but that describes about 75% of all college coaches, and fortunately you don't find that group winning very many Natty's...(Bill Self being the main example)...Miller never really whined but was not only hotheaded but also hardheaded...those days of that kind of coach being successful are waning...college BB is going the way of Golden State and we are lucky we snagged Tommy when we did, the international pipeline is the lifeline...which is not exactly UCLA's forte.

I think ASU's win over UCLA was a bit of a fluke...Hurley couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag...and his current roster is probably difficult to organise around, while Cronin has one of the most experienced and battle hardened teams in the country...he got outcoached which is his own fault.

We need the conference to do better and stop making excuses when it loses, but someone in the conference is going to have to lose...I honestly would prefer for ASU to take it up a notch and stop being such a clown college in sports, that fucking wall of distraction is no longer a novelty it's a stupid gimmick, but if it fills the stands I get it, that crowd is not exactly classy. When ASU is better it helps UA...I prefer it that way instead of the typical "go to the state of Az and get an ass beating and then a cupcake for your wounds"...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Sean Miller is the only coach I'm aware of that actually had evidence of the refs being against him. If anyone had a right to whine, it was CSM. (Well, he and the 2007 Suns)

"He touched the ball!"

Get's T'd up.

Congratulations ref - you've just won an all expense paid trip to Cancun.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PHXCATS wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:11 am
Chicat wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:48 am Cronin always gets his players to play hard for him. It’s one of his least attractive qualities in my opinion.
Unfortunately not last night but most the time yes
I actually thought they played hard.

Dumb, and bad, but they gave good effort. The results were just putrid.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Mick thinks that with a big whip he'll get a kitten to haul a piano up a flight of stairs.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Merkin wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:40 am
TheCat wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:09 am I also think there is a HUGE difference between Miller and Cronin.
Well if you look after the ESPN article you are right. He did okay when he was at Xavier and 85% of these current Az. players are ones he went out and got because of that article.
Some places and styles are difficult for some teams but I don't think they own a coach. Altman had never won at Colorado till this year, Mick can't beat Stanford. Some schools can't beat us. I don't know why that has been true but it has been.
Last edited by TheCat on Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

So I think ole Mick has relied on a ton of ISO and he has the players to do that but when they hit a cold spell he has no answer or plan. If Tyger didn't get some shots to fall toward the end, it would have never made it to 3 overtimes. That of course combined with ASU's decision making. Hell Bill Walton was shocked and laughing at some of the shots ASU took. To be honest ASU had a 45% free thrower hit four in a row including a bank so you knew it was going to be their night.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I mean, it was two years and 4 games. Sample size is pretty important in a lot of streaks.

For instance, Lloyd is winless vs Rick Barnes, Dana Altman and .500 vs Cronin.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So far, all Cronin has done is gotten to one FF with Alford's players, who are more talented than any he ever had at Cincy. He made it to the S16 only one time in like 15 years at Cincy. Let's see what ucla looks like after he's been there for 5 or 6 seasons. By that point, Lloyd will have have had a chance to build recruiting momentum, and I expect he'll have AZ at or near where Miller had the program in the mid-2010s.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Are there people really commenting about “only 1 final 4 with another coaches players”????

Lmao.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

Bordercat wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:39 pm Since Lute- 83

National Championships
UCLA-1
Arizona-1

Runner up
UCLA-1
AZ-1

Final Fours
UCLA- 5
AZ-4

Elite 8
UCLA-7
AZ- 10

Sweet 16
UCLA-16
AZ-21

Tourney appearances
UCLA-29
AZ-33

Con champs reg season
UCLA-9
AZ-17

Conf tourney champs
UCLA-4
AZ-8

head to head
UCLA-44
AZ-43
updated- would rather be a Wildcat.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I’d also rather have Lloyd than that irascible munchkin.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Last thing on the ruins: you gotta love that Benn took every one of the accolades Ju-clang was expected to land this year. Clang came back to school because he thought he’d improve his draft status and win a Pac title. Neither happened, and he just made a powerful argument for leaving school while your draft stock is high.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

You dont need to try to hard RC. We know UCLA gets under your skin :lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:00 pm You dont need to try to hard RC. We know UCLA gets under your skin :lol:
Scoreboard.
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:10 pm
MrBug708 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:00 pm You dont need to try to hard RC. We know UCLA gets under your skin :lol:
Scoreboard.
I love it. I've missed the swagger! Sure, you have transitioned to mimicking other people's hot takes, but at least it gives me less to call you out on :D

Kisses!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

UClA rivalry will always be tops in the PAC. Most of their fans live in the past and while I was reading their site someone indicated they only celebrate national championships. Well you can celebrate every 30-40 years if you want.
It is interesting that Sean and Mic have become pretty good friends and I think that could only happen when they were not fighting for the same thing. I assume UCLA is a bit disappointed in how the season turned out. Heavily favored to win the PAC and finish 3 games back, no PAC championship but according to them it doesn't matter. Honestly there was talk on their site at the beginning of the year of going undefeated. I guess every fan base has delusional people.
I was proud of what UCLA did last year as well as the other PAC teams. It shined a positive light on the conference. In reality UCLA was a 10 loss team, losing 4 at the end of year and what they were on was a magical run. This was not a juggernaut that the press or UCLA wanted it to be at the beginning of the year. Cronin has recruited well and they have some very talented players that can return if they chose to. I don't find their style of play very entertaining so we will see what happens in the future.
Ariz and UCLA will always be rivals until they chase a different prize and I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Last edited by TheCat on Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:07 am I assume UCLA is a bit disappointed in how the season turned out. Heavily favored to win the PAC and finish 3 games back, no PAC championship but according to them it doesn't matter. Honestly there was talk on their site at the beginning of the year of going undefeated. I guess every fan base has delusional people.
TC: if Arizona returned every starter from a F4 team, was expected to win the Pac reg season, Pac tourney and earn a top seed in the NCAA tourney but instead got blown out by Gonzaga, lost two out of 3 to ucla, got swept by Oregon, lost at ASU, got a 4 seed and was two-and-done in the tourney, we'd be pretty disappointed.

Arizona achieved just about every goal ucla had this year. We were just hoping to be competitive in Lloyd's first year, which he greatly exceeded.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... d05d2.html

The fact that this asshole faced zero consequences from his program or coach tells you everything you need to know about them.
George Costanza

Post by George Costanza »

Not guilty? Why? Was there a second spitter?

Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

George Costanza wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:10 am Not guilty? Why? Was there a second spitter?

Everyone pleads not guilty at that point. That means the defense gets disclosure and can decide whether to negotiate a plea or go to trial. Arraignment is the first hearing in a case, so this means zilch.

Upvote for the user name and gif harmony, though. Beautiful symmetry.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

George Costanza wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:10 am Not guilty? Why? Was there a second spitter?

There are rumors he’d been ordered to spit. This one goes straight to the top.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

That is one magic loogie.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

TheCat wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:07 am It is interesting that Sean and Mic have become pretty good friends
Famous (almost) movie quotes to the dimunitive (5-7) coach:

Casablanca: "We'll always have Cincinnati. We didn't have. We lost it until you came to Tucson."
A League Of Their Own: "Did anyone ever tell you you look like a penis...?" (Mick The Dick?)

As to Etienne (en Francais, s'il vous plait), I'm sure he'll phone it in and write something like: "I won't throw eighth-grade girl hissy-fits and stomp my feet and spit when I'm frustrated" about ten times in cursive and we'll count that as his community service. He thought he was pretty clever and pulled his little shit...and then he got royally busted for it. (The Times' Ben Bolch even dropped his little yellow and powder blue pom-pons, but he was able to pick them up before anybody noticed.) Now, whenever you Google Mac's name, that incident comes up. And artifacts live on the internet forever, so I'm good with calling it even. And that's without even demanding the acknowledgement that the whole thing came up when the other little shit, "Tyger", tackled Pelle Larsson out of bounds and got the villain treatment from our student section afterwards, which is what they had such fits over...along with the loss, of course. Fan boy types can spin away with "if you say anything about us, we must live in your heads" (see community service line above), but when a story hits the newspaper and people react on the same day, I guess it's actually just the newspaper that's living in their heads.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Irish kills it once again.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I can watch that all day
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

need to update this.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

Since Lute 83- think this is right.

National Championships
UCLA-1
Arizona-1

Runner up
UCLA-1
AZ-1

Final Fours
UCLA- 5
AZ-4

Elite 8
UCLA-7
AZ- 10

Sweet 16
UCLA-17
AZ-22

Tourney appearances
UCLA-30
AZ-34

Con champs reg season
UCLA-9
AZ-17

Conf tourney champs
UCLA-4
AZ-8

head to head
UCLA-44
AZ-45
Last edited by Bordercat on Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Someone is butt hurt
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

How did I miss that? Fantastic!
IrishAzCat wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:54 am Image
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

For fuck sake stop giving into the obvious trolling
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If you are looking at a time when we could not recruit because of allegations that is true. To get a complete picture look at X vs. Cinn and I think you will agree he wasn't owned.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

84Cat wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:30 am Someone is butt hurt
Lord, where to begin. 99% likelihood "the masked beat writer" who validates/fact checks his own (butt hurt) opinion is either himself, or his co-worker at the Times who covers USC hoops. In either case, yet another example of journalistic professionalism by the Bolchmeister. So at schools who can't draw flies for anybody but Arizona and each other, "classy" (a term as precise as "innovative") means a bored middle-aged crowd scattered among empty seats with legs and arms folded who occasionally cut loose with a golf clap (8-clap?). And any school with a feisty and rowdy student section, which is a tradition at 90% of schools who consider themselves big-time in basketball, is oh...ick...gross...tacky.

Boy are they going to have a rude awakening at damn near every arena in the Big Ten. They won't be liked. Nobody will buy-in to the in-house public relations crap with all the lovable cover stories about their spoiled arrogant heroes that's inappropriately pushed by what is supposed to be an objective source. So, it's okay if you sit in your home arena and quietly lose to them. But, if you have the temerity to beat them, and also have the nerve to push back and tell them they're full of shit, their whole phony world comes tumbling down and they sit in the corner and cry. Can't wait for their Big Ten road games.

While I'm on the subject of Bolch's bullshit, I didn't appreciate one of his dispatches from Tucson dismissing McKale as "an old building." Yeah, and so's the Empire State Building and Dodger Stadium. And after many tens of millions have been poured into it, McKale is the absolute showplace of college basketball west of Lawrence, Kansas (and Allen Fieldhouse needs some work.) So that's half of the country. I sat next to Kansas fans the last time the Jayhawks played at McKale, and they were absolutely awe-struck. Meanwhile, the exterior of Pauley looks like somebody's glass and steel student union. (And as we know, during most of their games, the interior is half-empty.)
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

So this guy is ranking these fan bases in the inverse order of how much they care about their program basically.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

A maga rally? Arizona probably has one of the top 3 least conservative fan bases in the PAC 12
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Really a shame Bolchie didn't cover UCLA's loss at the Galen Center last night; I would have enjoyed reading his tortured prose. But I guess "traveling beat writers" don't travel to cover games at the opposing school; just the home team's writer. (And I really mean that with a VERY possessive apostrophe-S.) And even though USC is closer to their home office in El Segundo than is UCLA. But I didn't see his partner in crime Kartje (the USC beat writer) mention anything about Cronin's "classy" F-bomb at the refs, or his other typical tantrum behavior. So, I assume, per "professional" courtesy, Bolch would have never written anything if some random USC student said something like "Tyger, you look like a complete idiot", which of course, would not be considered "classy." So now, it's up to random writer (usually Dodger coverage) Dylan Hernandez to do the hand-wringing and worry that UCLA's Cronin-magnon offense may not be good enough to get them to the Final Four, which is the minimum acceptable outcome, at least according to the El Segundo Times. Of course, a championship, or close to it, is the target they pin on every local team's back (except the whipping-boy Angels.) Good Times.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:19 am Really a shame Bolchie didn't cover UCLA's loss at the Galen Center last night; I would have enjoyed reading his tortured prose. But I guess "traveling beat writers" don't travel to cover games at the opposing school; just the home team's writer. (And I really mean that with a VERY possessive apostrophe-S.) And even though USC is closer to their home office in El Segundo than is UCLA. But I didn't see his partner in crime Kartje (the USC beat writer) mention anything about Cronin's "classy" F-bomb at the refs, or his other typical tantrum behavior. So, I assume, per "professional" courtesy, Bolch would have never written anything if some random USC student said something like "Tyger, you look like a complete idiot", which of course, would not be considered "classy." So now, it's up to random writer (usually Dodger coverage) Dylan Hernandez to do the hand-wringing and worry that UCLA's Cronin-magnon offense may not be good enough to get them to the Final Four, which is the minimum acceptable outcome, at least according to the El Segundo Times. Of course, a championship, or close to it, is the target they pin on every local team's back (except the whipping-boy Angels.) Good Times.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Interesting that he didn't have anything out there until after 10 am this morning. Whatever. Glad he managed to travel as a beat writer the six or seven miles from his cubicle to the game. And definitely a "classy" effort on his part, particularly the reminder to exhale. So, as official psychologist, he's just taken on the weighty responsiblity to lead himself (and other UCLA fans) through their disappointment and grief management and to re-calibrate their expectations. Maybe next time do that before all the hype and build-up, and all that hyperventilating won't require so much exhaling.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

84Cat wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:11 pm
Of course it is, and it is the only one of those 6 game that will sell out.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Yeah I got my tickets early.
Dave

Post by Dave »

When was the last time Pauley sold out?
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

Dave wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:57 pm When was the last time Pauley sold out?
When did USC last come in to play? That's usually the only game lately, to sell out. Last year, USC and Villanova were sellouts.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

When was Walton there?

Same answer.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:58 am
When was Walton there?

Same answer.
Incorrect, or shall I say partly incorrect.

When the Grateful Dead played there.