Oumar Ballo

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Oumar Ballo

Post by Merkin »

Everything but Ballo in this thread!
EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:54 am The only way to do that is to double team him which leaves someone open and exposes the defense for a much easier final shot. Not all coaches would do that.
"The only thing that prevent defense prevents in winning" - Bill Walton, probably from Lou Holtz.

When UA went on their late run, they pressured the ball from the second it was thrown in. Now let's change what we are doing and let Pope dribble the ball down court with no pressure until about the NBA 3 point range.

My preference would have been to double him in the backcourt, and get the ball out of his hands. Cats let the hottest player in the game keep the ball the last 11 seconds. Pressure the ball right away, and the Beavs have to take longer to get the ball downcourt and have someone else shoot.

Good defense by Lewis, no problem there, and an outstanding shot by Pope. Maybe 90% of the time that shot does not go in and you go to overtime.

"Playing not to lose (something)" - Bill Walton
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I would have honestly just fouled him on the inbounds, let him shoot his FTs, then let one of our guys have a crack at last shot
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Fishclamps wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:58 pm I would have honestly just fouled him on the inbounds, let him shoot his FTs, then let one of our guys have a crack at last shot
That’s a tough call in a tie game.

I would have put someone on my inbounds, then done something to force Pope (or whomever) to at least have to move sideways or at least at an angle. Make him uncomfortable dribbling and make him worry about the clock. I don’t mean trying to steal ball just closer than Lewis played.
It was a great shot but I would have liked someone else have taken it.

Agree that it shou never have been that close.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Oh for sure, I just kinda figured they'd hit some stupid shot to win, so if you forced them into only getting 2 points we'd at least have the ball back with a chance to win or tie
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Not sure if Ballo can keep his double double streak up in LA next week, but 9 in a row is fucking insane.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Probably 50 years before we see it again.

What makes it even more impressive he is not really that quick or athletic, compared to other UA centers.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:06 pm Probably 50 years before we see it again.
Next year I bet Krivas comes close.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:06 pm Probably 50 years before we see it again.

What makes it even more impressive he is not really that quick or athletic, compared to other UA centers.
But what he is is strong and powerful as shit. and his hands are pretty impressive for a man that size.

He’s a beast down low and almost impossible to push around. When he gets the ball on lobs and slip passes it’s easy buckets for us.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He can also get high when he wants to, as that goaltend call v. ASU when the ball wasn't even close to the rim.

Reminds me of Sean Rooks, but even as a senior Rooks only averaged 6.9 boards a game. But still ended up with a very long NBA career, although the game has changed since then.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:01 pm Not sure if Ballo can keep his double double streak up in LA next week, but 9 in a row is fucking insane.
Bet he gets one at USC!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:54 am
I think Oumar has improved the most of any player on the team during this season. Looks like he's lost some weight, which I had been concerned about during the exhibition games pre-season. He's been a terror on the boards!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

This kid has done more than I ever expected and I just hope the rest of his life he finds joy and success. He has been a great ambassador for the university and is always well spoken. He has made the most of his abilities and not many players or people can make that claim. I respect and admire him.
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

He's definitely been the most consistent player on the team this year, especially the 2nd half.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

He needs a couple more this year I think!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just amazed how there is no room in the league for guys like him. Now unless a 5 can put it on the deck and drive as well as stretch the floor from three and guard the switch, they don’t want you.

Love to have him back for our first year in the Big 12
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I want him to feast tonight….
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CalStateTempe wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:35 am I want him to feast tonight….
... Krivas, too!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Woah. Transferring?? Didn't see this coming.

Where is he going to have a better opportunity than starting at AZ?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

He will have 0 problems finding any number of big programs to start at, not worried in the slightest about that.

I'm guessing this is a keeping Krivas thing, unfortunately for Ballo
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Fishclamps wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:52 am He will have 0 problems finding any number of big programs to start at, not worried in the slightest about that.

Why is Krivas a better option at the 5 than Ballo next season?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Because he was only a freshman this year and Tommy thinks he's gonna develop into something great.

You already know Ballo is good but he's only got 1 year left and if he stayed Krivas is gonna bounce to some other school who would have him start.

This sounds pretty mutual, Ballo gets another year and hopefully a good NIL deal, and we get a couple more years with Krivas assuming he actually will become something great.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Could also lose Anderson too. I think Ballo thinks he can make more playing college than going the Euro route. We are seeing this more & more
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I like Krivas, but he's not as ferocious as Ballo. I'm also not sure if Krivas is an upgrade on defense.

But I'll trust Tommy on this one. Ballo and Tommy have a long-standing relationship going back to before they were at Gonzaga together. I thought Ballo would want to finish with the guy who helped him get started.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:54 am
Fishclamps wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:52 am He will have 0 problems finding any number of big programs to start at, not worried in the slightest about that.

Lateral quickness on defense immediately comes to mind along with the ability to guard smaller 5s on the perimeter.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

84Cat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:03 am Could also lose Anderson too. I think Ballo thinks he can make more playing college than going the Euro route. We are seeing this more & more
Oh this is absolutely about keeping multiple bigs instead of 1 and then having to hunt down a couple backups in the portal.

And yeah he's gonna have to play overseas at some point but if you can squeeze 1 more year of big NIL from a program looking for an incredibly reliable center, you do it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:10 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:54 am

Lateral quickness on defense immediately comes to mind along with the ability to guard smaller 5s on the perimeter.
Okay, I'll buy that. I'm also not sure how many minutes we're gonna see from Stephen. Maybe Tommy think he can play right away.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Krivas will obviously have to get better but I think he is more talented than Ballo. Better feel for the game and bigger.
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

Fishclamps wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:51 am
Does the new NIL environment allow you to plan and allow a player to mature? I don't think it does.

I'd rather have Ballo back. Is this a coaching decision or is his NIL pay going to be higher elsewhere?
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

It's both.

Arizona would love to pay the NIL he's gonna command, but then we can't afford other people.

This really seems like a decision that will benefit all parties
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

That hurts a bit :(
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

SunnyAZ wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:24 am Krivas will obviously have to get better but I think he is more talented than Ballo. Better feel for the game and bigger.
He. Can’t. Jump.

How are you 7’2” and have such soft layups and very little dunks? Kriisa ain’t hammering those thundering dunks off of oops from pick and rolls situations.

I’ll miss that. We’ve had Ballo and Koloko able to finish those for 3 years. We don’t have that from our starting center anymore.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Krivas was also a freshman who's gonna need some development, this isn't a secret. Gotta trust in this staff to get him where he needs to be
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Respectfully disagree. Stephen is more athletic than both Koloko and Ballo. Going half speed this guy is explosive. We just don't know if he's ready yet, although I do anticipate some KJ Lewis type minutes his freshman year. He's a bona fide pro for sure. I'm not sold on Veesaar, and am curious how much Dylan Anderson has developed. If he's anywhere close to what Klingan gives to UCONN, there we're in good shape.
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:29 am
SunnyAZ wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:24 am Krivas will obviously have to get better but I think he is more talented than Ballo. Better feel for the game and bigger.
He. Can’t. Jump.

How are you 7’2” and have such soft layups and very little dunks? Kriisa ain’t hammering those thundering dunks off of oops from pick and rolls situations.

I’ll miss that. We’ve had Ballo and Koloko able to finish those for 3 years. We don’t have that from our starting center anymore.
Woah...you don't like a 7'2" player who plays like he thinks he's 5'8"?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Stephen is gonna be way more raw as a freshman than Lewis was
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

I really wanted Ballo back for his experience.

I'd offer him anytime access to Grandy's, Lucky Star Buffet, Two Pesos and Sanchez Burrito Co, if he stays.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

How does NIL work with foreigners?

What are chances he goes back to Spokane?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Dang, I miss Lucky Star!

First place we went out to eat after daughter was born.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I wish him all the success in the world. He deserves it
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am How does NIL work with foreigners?

I saw someone speculate that it's probably money that goes back home that they then collect whenever they go back home. That way it bypasses the visa restriction and NIL doesn't really have rules anyways lol.

The school that gets him is gonna allegedly need to be able to pony up 750k for him.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:44 am How does NIL work with foreigners?

Foreigners can still participate in NIL..........it just has to be structured properly

https://www.si.com/fannation/name-image ... etes-noah9
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:48 am Dang, I miss Lucky Star!

My friend and I watched them pour water into the bottles of alcohol, but their food was delicious....
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

I wish he would stay but I wish him the best. He is a class act.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I imagine Oumar is NIL shopping, same with Boswell. UA collectives can't afford all the players. Need to find a Tyson style donor like Arkansas has.

Krivas was quite developed as a freshman, good footwork, and I don't think Stephen will be.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

LuteIsGod wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:39 am I really wanted Ballo back for his experience.

I'd offer him anytime access to Grandy's, Lucky Star Buffet, Two Pesos and Sanchez Burrito Co, if he stays.
Throw in the Tack Room and its a deal :lol:
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

LuteIsGod wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:58 am
Postmaster wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:48 am Dang, I miss Lucky Star!

My friend and I watched them pour water into the bottles of alcohol, but their food was delicious....
Had the dinner buffet many times back in the late 80's