Dalen Terry

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dovecanyoncat

Re: Dalen Terry

Post by dovecanyoncat »

DT has been sensational, but I picked him for the TCU game. Please don't hate me.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:54 am
RondaeShimmy wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:40 am The offensive flow is much better with Terry running things.

Kier running things reminds me of the typical non Arizona college basketball (terrible to watch) offenses. He also kind stands still and telegraphs passes into the post. It looks so obvious what he's about to do, similar to Tubelis.
Reminds me of Daniel Dillon. Outside of his cool hair, he really added nothing to the offense.

When Kier started Senior Day v. Cal, the Cats played them even until Kriisa came in and took over for Kier, then the UA pulled away.
100%

Also Arizona went on it's run to take control of the UCLA game in the tournament when Kier was sitting with 4 fouls.

Terry meanwhile unlocked something special that day.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I worry that DT doesn't have the handles for a team like TCU. Their PG is quick as hell
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Think he might be motivated tomorrow.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I thought he did great when we he ran the PG against UCLA. Why don’t we see more of it? Did I miss some issues?
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Terry needs some love for his defense/typical all-around play and CLUTCH 3pt to tie the game at 70.

Mathurin, Koloko, and Terry are our nba level type difference makers and hopefully this continues!
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

"Dalen's a winner" ...coach Tommy Lloyd
He's got the clutch gene too, he's not scared"
How many big 3's has he hit"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn-IF7b71Fg
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

And the joy to which he plays with is so important to the this team. Love DT!
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:16 am And the joy to which he plays with is so important to the this team. Love DT!
He's fun to watch during another player's dunk, he jumps as high as the dunker does.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

He's a freaking Dervish!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Terry does need to drive to the basket, and seek out contact, more often.

He looks like he intentionally tries to avoid contact when he drives to the hole. In the full contact sport that is the
NCAA tournament, one needs to draw blood.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:37 am Terry does need to drive to the basket, and seek out contact, more often.

He looks like he intentionally tries to avoid contact when he drives to the hole. In the full contact sport that is the
NCAA tournament, one needs to draw blood.
Especially when they were two TCU players on the floor with 4 fouls, and #4 later picking up his 4th.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

DT is such a special player that he inspired me to change my avatar for the first time in ages.
IrishAzCat

Post by IrishAzCat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IrishAzCat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:06 pm Image
LOL. That's fantastic.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

I can’t really say I love DT as I’ve never even met him, but I love DT.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Imagine if that dunk at the end of regulation counted
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:33 pm Imagine if that dunk at the end of regulation counted
Oh shit, full-fledged melt down. Embrace the hate people
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

At the time I was pissed he didn't let it drop instead of dunking it but we would have never heard the end of it.

At least with OT.... it is decided by actual play
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Let it rip tomorrow Dalen! No fear, do your thing.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Definitely would buy a DT jersey and have him sign it.

If I lived in Tucson.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

FWIW I met DT at a pool party last weekend in scottsdale. I jokingly asked if he was coming back and he said he still doesn't know yet. Take that for what it is haha.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I hope next time HUB sponsors him instead.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

just like Math before him, has a chance to be an All American next season
97cats

Post by 97cats »

smart - i expect him to have an All-American type season in 2022/23
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

so he just declared with option to return...
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

A1RZONA wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:18 pm so he just declared with option to return...
Not a bad decision. Test the waters, get experience and a grade.

He's probably returning absent blowing up at the combine, I'd assume.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Nothing to lose, but could possibly work himself into the Association. Worst case? Gets good feedback on what he needs to work on to be drafted for sure next year. Smart decision.

I too expect DT back next year. At 6'6" and under 200 lbs, his body just isn't NBA ready. Needs another 15 pounds of muscle, which will help him rebound and finish at the rim. His outside shot improved a lot, but not sure if there is enough sample size yet to prove consistency. If he can match close to what Benn did last year from distance, that will improve his draft stock in my opinion.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ngl, this scares me a bit. i know the expectation is that he comes back, but i think smart teams should be all over him as a late first rounder, and if that happens, you never know. DT is the key to next year - with him, i think we're a top 10 team. without him, feels like a back-end top 25 team and a rebuilding year to me.
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

I think Dalen Terry is talented with a bright future but something bothers me about a college player who averaged 8 pts a game going pro. I really hope he stays another year.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:17 pm Nothing to lose, but could possibly work himself into the Association. Worst case? Gets good feedback on what he needs to work on to be drafted for sure next year. Smart decision.

I too expect DT back next year. At 6'6" and under 200 lbs, his body just isn't NBA ready. Needs another 15 pounds of muscle, which will help him rebound and finish at the rim. His outside shot improved a lot, but not sure if there is enough sample size yet to prove consistency. If he can match close to what Benn did last year from distance, that will improve his draft stock in my opinion.
Yep. Another year with Tommy Lloyd's system would greatly improve his long term nba chances. More training and experience can only boost his stock. (and yeah, the Cats make a deeper run next March)
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Shit. Are we losing him?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:00 pm Shit. Are we losing him?

Dunno. He'd have a ways to go to be arguable in the first round and you see what he'd have to gain by returning...but I'd always said you never know if someone blows up dyring the process.

The point of the meme above is not to worry the sky's falling. My thoughts would be he's likely returning until he says otherwise...sort of the opposite of how I felt about Koloko. Terry has room to gain stock Koloko never did.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Are we losing him to…… what? A late second round draft slot or the possibility of going undrafted and having to fight his way into the NBA from the G League?

I doubt it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Chicat wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 12:53 pm
Are we losing him to…… what? A late second round draft slot or the possibility of going undrafted and having to fight his way into the NBA from the G League?

I doubt it.
Sam Vecenie (of the Athletic) has Terry as the 28th best available player. I think that's high but equally I think late second / undrafted is unreasonably low.

Still... 40th pick puts Terry in the G-League / prove it situation and I agree that it's not his best path for growth. Come back and take 12 FGAs a game and puts some numbers on the board.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:11 pm

I doubt it.
Sam Vecenie (of the Athletic) has Terry as the 28th best available player. I think that's high but equally I think late second / undrafted is unreasonably low.

Still... 40th pick puts Terry in the G-League / prove it situation and I agree that it's not his best path for growth. Come back and take 12 FGAs a game and puts some numbers on the board.
Here’s where I think Terry’s potential improvement arc hurts him. If I’m an NBA GM, I don’t want to pick him in the 38-48 range, sign him to a two year deal (something like what Ayo Dosunmu got), watch him blow up, and then leave for a contract I can’t afford. I’d rather he make that leap in college and then get him mid-first round next year where I’ll have more time and control with the contract.

The Bulls are somewhat panicking knowing that they need to keep Ayo. He’s a hometown kid who played well above their expectations and became an easy fan favorite. I’d rather not be in that situation so my advice to a guy like Terry who I KNOW is going to improve is to blow up at UA and I’ll see him as a top-15 pick next year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:35 pm

I doubt it.

Here’s where I think Terry’s potential improvement arc hurts him. If I’m an NBA GM, I don’t want to pick him in the 38-48 range, sign him to a two year deal (something like what Ayo Dosunmu got), watch him blow up, and then leave for a contract I can’t afford. I’d rather he make that leap in college and then get him mid-first round next year where I’ll have more time and control with the contract.

The Bulls are somewhat panicking knowing that they need to keep Ayo. He’s a hometown kid who played well above their expectations and became an easy fan favorite. I’d rather not be in that situation so my advice to a guy like Terry who I KNOW is going to improve is to blow up at UA and I’ll see him as a top-15 pick next year.
I have to disagree bit. I don't see Terry going top 15 regardless of improvement. I do think he has a strong chance to get to the first round with a return.

Some of how attractive Terry is depends on what sort of contract he wants. You can offer 4 years to a second rounder. If Terry would be interested in 4 years with 2 guaranteed and a team option for the last 2...I could see him being very attractive.

First round doesn't give you more control because second doesn't have length limits. If the Bulls are in a tough place with Dosunmu, it's because he bet on himself or the Bulls effed up.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:46 pm
Chicat wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:35 pm

I doubt it.

I have to disagree bit. I don't see Terry going top 15 regardless of improvement. I do think he has a strong chance to get to the first round with a return.

Some of how attractive Terry is depends on what sort of contract he wants. You can offer 4 years to a second rounder. If Terry would be interested in 4 years with 2 guaranteed and a team option for the last 2...I could see him being very attractive.

First round doesn't give you more control because second doesn't have length limits. If the Bulls are in a tough place with Dosunmu, it's because he bet on himself or the Bulls effed up.
What 15 guys would you have above him? He’s a top 15 pick next year Spiff. I don’t even think it’s debatable.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:48 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:46 pm I have to disagree bit. I don't see Terry going top 15 regardless of improvement. I do think he has a strong chance to get to the first round with a return.

What 15 guys would you have above him? He’s a top 15 pick next year Spiff. I don’t even think it’s debatable.
Lead in, I know this is an unpopular take on this board that a lot of people disagree with. I'm also open to friendly bets on this issue, so I'll fully do a signature bet to put my "money" where my mouth is.

I think Terry is a low ceiling, high floor NBA prospect who will never get out of the 20's. One thing people disagree with me here is I see him as an average athlete for the NBA, and given the plethora of wings, his athletic limits keep him out of the lottery.

https://nbadraftroom.com/p/2023-nba-mock-draft/

Not that draftroom is the best, but every player in their top 14 is a one and done. That is very much the profile of the guys who will go ahead of Terry, elite athletes with physical tools he doesn't have.

You want future stars in the lottery, not 7th or 8th men.

Ending where I began, I know this opinion is unpopular, but it's mine and not a slam on Terry.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:13 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:46 pm I have to disagree bit. I don't see Terry going top 15 regardless of improvement. I do think he has a strong chance to get to the first round with a return.

Lead in, I know this is an unpopular take on this board that a lot of people disagree with. I'm also open to friendly bets on this issue, so I'll fully do a signature bet to put my "money" where my mouth is.

I think Terry is a low ceiling, high floor NBA prospect who will never get out of the 20's. One thing people disagree with me here is I see him as an average athlete for the NBA, and given the plethora of wings, his athletic limits keep him out of the lottery.

Not that draftroom is the best, but every player in their top 14 is a one and done. That is very much the profile of the guys who will go ahead of Terry, elite athletes with physical tools he doesn't have.

Ending where I began, I know this opinion is unpopular, but it's mine and not a slam on Terry.
I’ll take the bet. Also notice that link you sent didn’t show him being included in that 2023 draft. Me thinks if he officially returns they’ll show him in the lottery as well.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

If DT can improve his 3 pt shooting he will be a top 15 player but that is far from certain. The first half of last year he made me nervous when he took a three. I also don't think his looks will be as good with C-Lo gone. I think he has a really good work ethic which will be key to charting improvement but equally important is the confidence he showed at the end of last year. I think he has a chance but it will be uphill.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:48 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:13 pm

I’ll take the bet. Also notice that link you sent didn’t show him being included in that 2023 draft. Me thinks if he officially returns they’ll show him in the lottery as well.
They have him #39 in 2022.

I'm down with a bet...although we may have to wait a bit on the 2023 draft. Assuming we both exist when he does/does not go top 15 in 2023, signature control for a year sound appropriate?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spiff and I are often in agreement on NBA draft decisions and potential. I disagree here only in the absolute that Spiff offers: that Terry has no shot at getting to lottery status. Terry could certainly get there and it'll depend on one thing:

Shooting. That's it.

If Terry can continue to improve as a shooter - if he takes another 4% increase in his three point percentage the same as he did the last offseason - he's a lottery pick. 40% three point shooting with his size and vision and defense? Lottery.

I'd look at Chris Duarte as an easy comp in that regard. Dude shot the lights out (43%) in his final season with Oregon while distributing and playing tough D. He went 13th and should have gone higher in retrospect. Older than Terry, not even the athlete that Terry is, shorter with a much smaller wingspan. Lacks the vision and passing that Terry possesses. So why not Terry?

Now here's where folks should be up in arms. Terry has shown little ability to be the versatile shooting threat that Duarte was at Oregon. BUT - its possible. I didn't think Terry could shoot at all after his freshman season... he came back and gave us 36% on 77 attempts. That's solid shooting.

That's what Terry is going to need to show in order to move into the lottery. The ability to shoot at an NBA level. Really, that's what he'll need to show whichever route he takes. I think that's easier done at Arizona with this system and staff, with the greenlight and safety net that he'll have here. Hopefully he agrees.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

A note from a quick look at some stats:

Terry was our second most efficient rotation guard/wing scorer this past season (58% TS / 56% eFG), behind my man Pelle (62% / 57%). Mathurin was third with 58% / 54% (though on far more attempts of course).

Terry holds near that efficiency and takes twice as many shots and he's an All American taken in the top twenty. Tall ask! Not impossible!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 3:27 pm Spiff and I are often in agreement on NBA draft decisions and potential. I disagree here only in the absolute that Spiff offers: that Terry has no shot at getting to lottery status. Terry could certainly get there and it'll depend on one thing:

Shooting. That's it.

If Terry can continue to improve as a shooter - if he takes another 4% increase in his three point percentage the same as he did the last offseason - he's a lottery pick. 40% three point shooting with his size and vision and defense? Lottery.

I'd look at Chris Duarte as an easy comp in that regard. Dude shot the lights out (43%) in his final season with Oregon while distributing and playing tough D. He went 13th and should have gone higher in retrospect. Older than Terry, not even the athlete that Terry is, shorter with a much smaller wingspan. Lacks the vision and passing that Terry possesses. So why not Terry?

Now here's where folks should be up in arms. Terry has shown little ability to be the versatile shooting threat that Duarte was at Oregon. BUT - its possible. I didn't think Terry could shoot at all after his freshman season... he came back and gave us 36% on 77 attempts. That's solid shooting.

That's what Terry is going to need to show in order to move into the lottery. The ability to shoot at an NBA level. Really, that's what he'll need to show whichever route he takes. I think that's easier done at Arizona with this system and staff, with the greenlight and safety net that he'll have here. Hopefully he agrees.
I would have to disagree here and my major point would be that Duarte showed something both his years at Oregon that Dalen never has. Duarte can create shots for himself, and Dalen has never shown that.

Per 40, Dalen has 8.9 shots per game as a soph. Duarte created for himself at a significantly higher rate. Some of that is Dalen's role, but if he was getting or making shots at a higher rate, his usage would be higher.

https://8points9seconds.com/2021/07/31/ ... a-draft/2/

That shot creation ability is one of the major things that made him a lottery pick. Admittedly, this is totally projection, but I don't see that in Dalen. I see him as a strong defender who will stick in the league as a bench rotation guy, maybe a Robert Covington type starter if he is a more reliable shooter.

But even Duarte was controversial when he was picked because he's pro ready but has a low ceiling.