Dalen Terry

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Dalen Terry

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:02 pm "Lacking a 3 point shot" is a lazy description of a guy who shot 36% from 3 and over 40% in the second half of the season. That's a 2021 take.

Lacking shot creation (to Spiff's prior point). Hasn't shown he can be a go-to scorer (to TheCat's point). Needs to prove it at a higher volume (to my prior point).

Those are reasonable takes. Also, this is a terrible draft board - they're probably off by about 40 spots on Braun and Baldwin Jr. collectively.
A better take on the J would be he has to show the second half of 21-22 isn't a fluke. I remember DWill going #2 because he shot over 50% from 3 and then never shooting well again.

The question with Dalen's J is whether it's a streak or a new thing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheCat wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 4:31 pm Will he improve his percentage with double the shots? He was not good till the second half of the year and if the attention he gets is from a #3-4 scorer to a #1 option the defense will be more attentive. Hard choice but if someone guarantees and pick in the 30's he should go.
Part of it is him handling the new role well. Dalen isn't made to be a high volume scorer like Benn was.

He needs to be a focal point who doesn't do that by taking bad shots.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Katz thinks he's gone.

Again, if DT is comfortable with being a mid-second rounder, then yeah, can't see him coming back. Think it's likely he'd be drafted mid-to-late 2nd round.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I would guess late second to undrafted.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 4:54 pm Katz thinks he's gone.

Again, if DT is comfortable with being a mid-second rounder, then yeah, can't see him coming back. Think it's likely he'd be drafted mid-to-late 2nd round.
Katz says he should go, which is different than Katz thinking he's gone. It's just a take though - there's no insight behind the thought.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:39 pm

Katz says he should go, which is different than Katz thinking he's gone. It's just a take though - there's no insight behind the thought.
I didn't think it was too much a stretch to infer that if he's saying DT should go, he also believes he will. But who knows.

Katz is paying closer attention to pre-draft activity than I am, so I'm putting a little stock in his perspective.

I really hope DT comes back to Tucson.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I think what Katz is saying that skill wise, DT is ready to play in the NBA. He'll just as easily add 15 lbs of muscle playing professionally as he will in Tucson, and physically, that's one reason why DT is a second rounder. The other issue is offensive utility. DT showed he can score and shoot well from the outside, and if he has a great combine, this will answer the question about his scoring ability.

If DT struggles at the combine, then his ability to knock down the open J will still be in question. And his draft stock will likely drop a little, and it would be wise for DT to come back to school. But Katz, who watches a ton of college ball, saw in DT what we all saw the last 10 games of the year. Likely our best, and most consistent outside shooter, who is also a very good defender, and solid playmaker. Add a little more muscle, and double his shots next year, and if DT plays like he did the last 1/3 of the season, he's a first rounder next year. Show enough at the combine, and he's a high enough 2nd rounder that he'll probably stay in the draft. Katz believes the latter is more likely to happen.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Andy Katz doesn't know dick.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Second that - but I was going to say Andy Katz doesn't know jack shit but walks around thinking he does.

I'm not going to waste 1 minute of my life trying to "interpret" what that dipshit meant about his DT comments.
Hard pass.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 2:39 pm

Katz seems to just put people in the should go category if they are a bit under the radar prospects.

His rankings make no sense, though. Drew Timme in the class of you could make a case to go? Timme might be the epitome of a guy who's shown everything he has to show. 100% of what he can do is stuff he's shown at Gonzaga.

I'm completely missing the case to be made there.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

My continued argument: Volume matters

Terry taking 6 FGAs a game is not nearly enough scoring volume for him to get drafted in the first round. I'd bet there hasn't been a first round (non-big) pick that took fewer FGAs/g than Terry in a decade.

Number of games Terry took 10 or more FGAs: 2
Number of games Terry took 5 of fewer FGAs: 16

Flip those two numbers at Arizona next season and he'll be in contention for a lottery pick.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:40 pm
Can anyone read these tea leaves? Why isn’t he doing 5 on 5?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

It will only highlight his offensive deficiencies? They already know about his court vision/passing/length
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Because he's coming back and just using the draft process for feedback, and to Jefe's point has more to lose than gain in 5x5s.

Not something I know for sure but sure is what I expect.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:00 pm Because he's coming back and just using the draft process for feedback, and to Jefe's point has more to lose than gain in 5x5s.

Pay attention to good posts like this boys and girls.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We all think DT is a great defender but can you name one person you are confident he could guard that is still in the playoffs? Most of those guys are physically mature and strong.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 5:00 pm Because he's coming back and just using the draft process for feedback, and to Jefe's point has more to lose than gain in 5x5s.

Yeah, if he was serious about trying to up his stock, no way he skips 5x5's. That has much more of what scouts want to see than drills or measurements.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

The Ringer's Kevin O'Connor has Terry at 36th in this year's Big Board
https://nbadraft.theringer.com/

DALEN TERRY
WING Arizona

SHADES OF
Andre Iguodala, Will Barton

Dalen Terry
HEIGHT 6'7"
WEIGHT 195
AGE 19.9
YEAR Sophomore

Brings energy to the court with his defense and passing, but his shooting needs to improve.

On-Ball Defense
Off-Ball Defense
Hustle
Feel for the Game

PLUSES
Quirky ball handler with a tight enough dribble to run some point. He has a knack for locating cutters and shooters. He played lots of point guard for Arizona and would similarly benefit from a multi-creator NBA offense.

Projects as a good spot-up shooter. He made progress from his first to second year in college. This past season, he made 36.8 percent of spot-up 3s. Though he isn’t a knockdown guy, he’s good enough to warrant respect.

Turns defense into offense with deflections and help blocks. His activity is a contagious attribute that could allow him to earn early minutes. Even if he’s not the one grabbing the ball, he’ll always be running hard up the floor.

Projects as a highly versatile defender thanks to his long arms, mindset, and awareness. He was an All-Defensive player in the Pac-12. As a bonus, he’s an attentive rebounder.

MINUSES
Unproven shooter, especially off the dribble, due to a small sample size.

Needs to learn when and when not to take risks, whether it’s as a playmaker forcing the ball into the paint or helping off a shooter on defense.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:33 pm Projects as a good spot-up shooter. He made progress from his first to second year in college. This past season, he made 36.8 percent of spot-up 3s. Though he isn’t a knockdown guy, he’s good enough to warrant respect.

MINUSES
Unproven shooter, especially off the dribble, due to a small sample size.
Per our conversation on other sites saying he wasn't a shooter, this is a much fairer take. Instead of just saying he doesn't have a 3 point shot, it's fair to say he projects as a decent shooter but hasn't proved he's there yet.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This is a very deep draft. DT is looking more like a solid 2nd rounder. Is he comfortable with that, or would he prefer to lock in 1st round status with one more college season? A big year at AZ (out of BM and CK's shadow) would almost certainly improve his draft position.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I know it's been more than a few years, and the rules have changed since then, but Gilbert Arenas was better off getting drafted in the 2nd round, since he then was able to get his 2nd contract a year sooner.

Like Lute always said, it's all about the 2nd contract.

With those measureables, like BC97 said, he is a lock for 2nd round at worse.

I don't expect him back. But then again, I tend to expect the worst, so I don't get disappointed.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Smart DT, smart.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

SunnyAZ wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:28 pm
reads to me like he wants a first round promise or else he comes back...a little concerned about that to be honest, but keep hearing that we'll be ok by those in the know so I'm staying confident
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I think DT has the right attitude. If he can show his stuff at the combine, he might be able to sneak into late first round. If not, he'll get valuable feedback and have an entire season in Tucson to show off his talents.

As of right now, I bet we see DT back in Tucson next year. Still a little too much of a project for a team to take him in the first round. Needs a few more pounds of muscle and to prove his shooting the last 1/3 of the season is his new norm. This is why most have him projected mid 2nd round. Can give him a 2-year contract and if he's not quite ready for prime time, can have him gain valuable time in the D-league.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

DT is a damn good player and will likely play a long time in the NBA. He is not a first round pick this year, though. And I'd be leery of anyone telling him he is.

If he ultimately wants to be a first round pick, he'll be coming back to Tucson for one more season. He'll be on the preseason Wooden watch, a possible All-American, and his Pac accolades will be many.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Dalen Terry opens up about entering NBA Draft process, what it will take to return to Arizona
By Brian J. Pedersen May 19, 2022, 5:00pm PDT

Terry told NBATV’s Andy Katz that he’s not participating in 5-on-5 drills during the combine, rather he’d prefer a team that shows interest in him to bring him in for an individual workout.

“I’m definitely trying to find a team to fall in love with me,” he said. “They’re going to have to be transparent me. They can sign me up for a workout. I ain’t ducking no smoke.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... -andy-katz

Feels like he's coming back for another year. 8-)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:54 am Dalen Terry opens up about entering NBA Draft process, what it will take to return to Arizona
By Brian J. Pedersen May 19, 2022, 5:00pm PDT

Terry told NBATV’s Andy Katz that he’s not participating in 5-on-5 drills during the combine, rather he’d prefer a team that shows interest in him to bring him in for an individual workout.

“I’m definitely trying to find a team to fall in love with me,” he said. “They’re going to have to be transparent me. They can sign me up for a workout. I ain’t ducking no smoke.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... -andy-katz

Feels like he's coming back for another year. 8-)
I wouldn't say that. It feels like he either wants a team that will commit to a guaranteed deal based on his potential or he will return.

Not doing 5x5's means he isn't trying to push his stock up with competition. This statement seems pretty clear that he wants to see if his potential gets him where he wants to be with an NBA team. If it does, he leaves, if it doesn't, he returns.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

We will know either way within the next 11 days.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Seems like a giant waste of time but at least he's getting some attention heading into his best season yet
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:54 pm Seems like a giant waste of time but at least he's getting some attention heading into his best season yet
How are you wrong or creepy about every single thing?

Getting feedback was 100% the best thing for him
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

HiCat

Post by HiCat »

DT looked like he was having fun.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Merkin wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:04 am
Looks great. It's 1v0 but Dalen looks the part of an NBA wing. Hopefully he's a college All American first.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 11:00 am
Merkin wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:04 am
Looks great. It's 1v0 but Dalen looks the part of an NBA wing. Hopefully he's a college All American first.
The shooting drills are the biggest deal for him. His J looks solid, if he starts convincing the NBA it's here to stay, I can see someone betting on his development.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Latest reports from the combine give the impression that DT is crushing it, not only commanding consideration as a first rounder but even late lottery.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:59 am Latest reports from the combine give the impression that DT is crushing it, not only commanding consideration as a first rounder but even late lottery.
Lol there’s not a world where he goes late lotto.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:15 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 7:59 am Latest reports from the combine give the impression that DT is crushing it, not only commanding consideration as a first rounder but even late lottery.
Perhaps not, but his chances of being a 1st rounder have improved significantly the last couple weeks.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:23 am
Perhaps not, but his chances of being a 1st rounder have improved significantly the last couple weeks.
There are like 45 kids who are potential first rounders at this point.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:42 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:23 am
There are like 45 kids who are potential first rounders at this point.
And 45 more who are told they’re 1st rounders.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Amen. His best case scenario is someone in the 20's figures they can get a high upside player by investing early.

That said, there are a lot of other people I could say that about, i.e., Koloko. The 20's is where teams usually start moving away from the conventional wisdom and surprises can sneak in.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:35 am
Amen. His best case scenario is someone in the 20's figures they can get a high upside player by investing early.

That said, there are a lot of other people I could say that about, i.e., Koloko. The 20's is where teams usually start moving away from the conventional wisdom and surprises can sneak in.
The 20s is also where teams prefer NBA ready guys, because you’re being drafted mostly by the contenders there. Terry isn’t NBA ready day one.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:00 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:35 am

The 20s is also where teams prefer NBA ready guys, because you’re being drafted mostly by the contenders there. Terry isn’t NBA ready day one.
I'd put it a little bit differently.

Top 20ish are usually guys there's a consensus on. Everyone agrees what they bring. After 20, there's usually some disagreement and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Like last year, you have guys like Quentin Grimes and Santi Aldama who have a lot of experience and are more developed. You also have guys like Isiah Jackson and Josh Christopher who are very much developmental prospects.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I think one of the hardest parts of a first round guarantee this draft is that there is so much uncertainty in the 20-40 range of what guys will be taken where…

If you’re the Grizz with the 22nd pick - can you promise it to Terry when it’s possible that TyTy Washington or Kennedy Chandler could be available?
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue May 24, 2022 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 10:54 am I think one of the hardest parts of a first round guarantee this draft is that there is so much uncertainty in the 20-40 range of what guys will be taken where…

If you’re the Grizz with the 22nd pick - can you promise it to Terry when it’s possible that TyTy Washington or Kennedy Chandler could be available?
It has to depend on team need. I think to get a guarantee Terry needs a team that either is locked in on a wing or is lukewarm on prospects at its other need position(s).

Like with your Griz example, they may say, Ja is an allstar, we think we either re-sign Tyus Jones or have Melton as a combo backup, so we focus on adding wings.

Or maybe they don't. It all comes down to perceived need in conjunction with believing Terry is the guy and their view of other prospects.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

https://bestinau.net/winners-and-losers ... t-combine/

Winners and losers of the 2022 NBA draft combine
May 24, 2022 by Bestinau

Winner

Terry was one of the combine’s biggest winners without even playing a 5-on-5 game. Officially just testing the waters, Terry is quickly emerging as a potential top-20 pick now that teams have had the opportunity to sit down with the charismatic, high-energy 19-year-old to learn more about him. League executives we spoke with consistently raved about Terry’s interviews, citing his competitiveness, feel for the game and engaging personality.

Terry’s intensity and infectious personality came to life during his pro day, further confirming the elite intangibles that evaluators who followed him closely raved about all season. There’s surely another level Terry can reach as a player, as he averaged just 8.0 points in 27.5 minutes last season while connecting on just 28 3s in 37 games. But Terry isn’t short on confidence, as he was sure to point out that he shot 47% from 3 over the last 10 games of the season when I mentioned the questions about his shooting. Although he lacks the most picturesque mechanics, Terry has already proved in workout settings that concerns about his shooting may indeed be overblown.

While he won’t be drafted as a go-to scorer, Terry’s combination of physical tools at 6-7, 195 pounds with a 7-1 wingspan, defensive versatility, passing ability and overall willingness to do the little things that impact winning could earn him looks even as high as the lottery, sharing some similarities to a smaller Scottie Barnes in terms of his all-around impact and approach to the game. — Schmitz