Dalen Terry

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EastCoastCat

Re: Dalen Terry

Post by EastCoastCat »

Ouch DT.

Don't mind your excitement around being a pro. No issues there.
But dissing playing in college is a bit disingenuous. It did help you to get to where you are today.

I'm hoping those quotes were slightly taken out of context.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I hold nothing against him. Can't wait to see him succeed in the league
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I hope he makes it. I’m not sure if he is physically ready.
I worry that some guys get put in G league or a 2 way but they get stuck down there.
I’d like him to be ready and stick.

I never thought York would stick. Good for him to get on a team.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

immaturity is his biggest obstacle - wish him all the best
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I read that as wanting to improve by competing against the best, instead of being the big fish in the little pond. That's a winning outlook that bodes well for him.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

True
But I think being a star at AZ would raise his draft spot which could make it easier to stick.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

LOL - DT, at least you are super clear about what the choice was and you made your choice with no qualms. Personally I think being an All American and getting my name in the rafters at Arizona would be an amazing opportunity and the extra year of development under a staff that knows me, cares for me, and will put me as their number one scoring priority would be incredibly meaningful. But DT sees a path to the NBA and he's ambitious and hungry and I don't fault him for it.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

PS I bought a Dalen Terry jersey at the end of the season so Terry had better make something of himself in the NBA so I don't have to hate wearing it.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

All it is is a business. Players use college to have fun and prep for the professional game. Fans and boosers use the players for entertainment and school pride. Nothing more nothing less. No ill will but our deal is up and unless you play for or against the Suns I won't think of you ever beyond this thread getting bumped
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:03 pm Lmao at the g-league talk.

Guys…Gabe York was in the NBA this year…I think Dalen is gonna be just fine.
This year had the most players ever play in the NBA in a season. Covid + expanded roster rules. Plus tanking, which is why Gabe even got a couple of gms this year. He's not really in the NBA
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

So expanded rosters exist and there are still people think that DT will be a mostly G League player…lol
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

It’s not that I expect him to be stuck in g league.
It’s that I don’t want that to happen.
I’d rather he be Solomon Hill than Alonzo Trier.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Postmaster wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:34 pm It’s not that I expect him to be stuck in g league.
It’s that I don’t want that to happen.
I’d rather he be Solomon Hill than Alonzo Trier.
Trier stayed 3 years in college lol and it didn't help him at all stay in the league.

Pretty much what Terry is saying, he'd rather learn on the job.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I don't blame him at all. He came to UA to play basketball and he did us proud. His goal has always been to play in the NBA. If he and his agent feel he will get a good contract, yeah, he should go for it. He will get the training that he needs, so I hope he has the talent to play in the league for several years. Best of luck DT, we will miss you and will (selfishly) miss how good you could have made this year's team.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

He made his decision. He gone. Have fun kid but don't expect anything
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Lot of disgust in this thread for a kid just looking to make it big time, but still gave us his all in the short amount of time he was here.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

From today's Athletic (Seth Davis - ugh!) - mainly sourcing scouts
https://theathletic.com/3365902/2022/06 ... ng-report/
Dalen Terry, 6-7 sophomore guard, Arizona. “Really big fan. Lacks shooting but he’s a good passer and a good athlete. Plays with a lot of energy. A versatile defender. If he shot it better he might be in the lottery. He’s one of the smartest defenders in the draft. His anticipation jumps off the screen for me. He’s a good intangible guy. Body needs to mature. When (Kerr) Kriisa went out, he played the point, and they didn’t miss a beat. He’s not a great athlete, but he’s good enough. Of all the interviews we did, his competitiveness came through the most.”
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:47 pm
Trier stayed 3 years in college lol and it didn't help him at all stay in the league.

Pretty much what Terry is saying, he'd rather learn on the job.
at this stage i dont hate on any kid for leaving, the system is set up that way. the players and families are out for there own best interests just like the universities and the NCAA who created this culture themselves....it wasnt always this way but it is now so imo impossible for anyone to throw shade at a choice, especially the fans.

on Trier, his skill set is different than Terry's - he had an almost dying style once he entered the league. that tweener high usage shooter/scorer not quite 6'5 and lacking that open style game played in the NBA today. Terry is a long athletic do it all player who cant shoot, he must do that better or it will be tough sledding.

his size and versatility give him the edge physically over Trier, and his age too providing a longer runway to develop that shot, but its his mental make-up will need some real seasoning - not just today but throughout the next 24months. Terry willingly wants to face and train with professionals - his Micky Mouse routine in college wont translate to the NBA and he knows that. if hes choosing to expedite the focus and commitment by committing to the process and training with grown men everyday than i applaud him - as he gets his man strength if he can get his head on his ceiling is rare.

for me it all adds up to the type of prospect you are as the determination on whether to stay or go? pretty simple i know but i was a top 15/20 i would go, regardless or reasons/emotions/excuses/factors for me to stay.

however, for me, if i was a border line first round developmental long term G-league prospect and my option was Tommy Lloyd in Tucson another year.........well, you can be sure as shit i would continue my training in college as a junior, play on one of the best teams in the nation, go to one of the most funnnesssst places on the planet for school, do tik-tocks, be a kid, dont fully grow up just yet, and see ya in the lottery one year later.

a wise man once told me, "the easiest person to sell is the salesman himself"
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Dalen would’ve been a lottery pick next year. He’s borderline 1st now. I hope it works out for him.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Fishclamps wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:36 pmLot of disgust in this thread for a kid just looking to make it big time, but still gave us his all in the short amount of time he was here.
Its only our disappointment in what he could have done for Tucson while putting himself in a much better position to have a successful long-term career. He would have been a Legend had he stayed.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Jefe wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:58 pm
Fishclamps wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:36 pmLot of disgust in this thread for a kid just looking to make it big time, but still gave us his all in the short amount of time he was here.
Its only our disappointment in what he could have done for Tucson while putting himself in a much better position to have a successful long-term career. He would have been a Legend had he stayed.
Nobody hates him or anything for his decision, but yes many are disappointed he didn’t return. Not many worthwhile guys have left Arizona for the pros without averaging double digits in points at any time during their Arizona tenure. I hope he bucks that trend, but he was in for a hell of a legacy year at Arizona if he returned followed by riches thrown his way. I hope he gets the riches regardless, but his Arizona legacy is basically all just a big “what if?” now.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Apparently Memphis wants him at #22 or #29
22. Grizzlies (from Jazz): Dalen Terry, G/F, Arizona
Height: 6' 7" | Weight: 195 | Age: 19 | Sophomore

Per sources, the Grizzlies have looked at trading up into the teens, proposing packages that include this selection in combination with veteran players, including De’Anthony Melton. If they keep it, there should be good options on the board, with Terry rumored as a potential target for one of Memphis’s picks in the 20s. He played the predraft process well and appears entrenched in the first round, having enticed teams with his size, passing and connective skills. He’s not going to score a ton on a regular basis, but he’s an athletic, creative player who excels in the open floor and should become a capable defender. Terry has maturing left to do and has to improve as a jump shooter to maximize his value. He will require some patience, but appears to be on a good trajectory at the moment. He could be a nice addition to a team like the Grizzlies that has exciting young talent already in place.
https://www.si.com/nba/2022/06/20/nba-m ... redictions

He's going to get drafted into a winning franchise and that will help him tremendously
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

But he is throwing away all the ice cream money.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

"I think I'm still being slept on a little bit," Terry told Yahoo Sports. "I believe that if I would've come out next year, it wouldn't even be a question. I'd be a top-10 pick. There's a mystery of if I can shoot or not, and everyone just wants to see. So that's why I had a lot of workouts the last few weeks.

"The draft process has been busy, but I'm having a lot of fun and it's just a blessing to be going through this process up until now. Any team that believes in me is getting a player ready to work on Day 1, and I'm ready to showcase more of the player I am."

Some scouts around the league think he could go as high as No. 14 to the Cleveland Cavaliers or No. 15 to the Charlotte Hornets. Terry could be that player who comes out of left field and shakes up the draft.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

"If I would've come out next year, I'd be a top-10 pick."

Yeah Dalen, we know.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:10 am "If I would've come out next year, I'd be a top-10 pick."

Yeah Dalen, we know.
Which begs the question, why not do that exactly? Mathurin was in line to get drafted in the same range Terry is this draft last year, but he returned and isn’t going to fall past the 6th pick now. I just don’t get the rush, he’s only 19. I buy Koloko’s decision, but you’ll never sell me on Terry’s. The goal shouldn’t just be to get there, but to stay there.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Nice! I see my son in that video, sure he was super excited.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:09 am
YoDeFoe wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:10 am "If I would've come out next year, I'd be a top-10 pick."

Yeah Dalen, we know.
Which begs the question, why not do that exactly? Mathurin was in line to get drafted in the same range Terry is this draft last year, but he returned and isn’t going to fall past the 6th pick now. I just don’t get the rush, he’s only 19. I buy Koloko’s decision, but you’ll never sell me on Terry’s. The goal shouldn’t just be to get there, but to stay there.
I'm not the competitor that Terry is so of course his decision making doesn't match what I think mine would be. That's the only thing that sticks in my head.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Yeah Dalen, we know.
He should have came to me if he was that confident for some financial advice. The difference between the 10th pick and the 20th pick is $1.5M per year. He would have made more in two years as the 10th pick next year than he would over three years as the 20th pick this year and theoretically been more mature to stick for a second contract.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Maybe he just really hates homework
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

You guys think you know Dalen Terry but you don’t…
OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:49 pm You guys think you know Dalen Terry but you don’t…
The truth will set you free.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:49 pm You guys think you know Dalen Terry but you don’t…
I believe you meant to say:

I know Dalen Terry;
So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies. Some of you guys are very good at making it sound like you know what you are talking about.
But trust me.... You don't.
I think you just want to make yourself sound smart, when in reality you don't know what you are talking about.
This is how bad info gets passed around.
If you dont know about the topic....Dont make yourself sound like you do.
Cos some fans believe anything they hear.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I agree with Terry and anyone else that they should leave college for NBA teams who want to pay them on potential.

On the other hand, here's an interesting ESPN+ article about Pat Riley's recognition that the data contradicts the value of drafting on potential, and James Jones following Riley in avoiding that path. We'll see whether or not Jones holds up as a successful GM, but the college players who end up on his small radar are 4 and 5-year guys who show mature development and "capacity," not potential.

It's something to keep our eye on. I sense a lot of recognition on this board that the "science" of scouting youthful, potential-filled talent is basically bullshit that doesn't hold up. For every 18 year-old Giannis, there's a hundred potential-filled prospects who flop. For the sake of college basketball, I won't mind if other NBA organizations start to follow suit and favor players who develop through experience.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/ ... gnoring-it
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I gotta say: DT has been steadily climbing in the mocks. He's looking increasingly a lock for the first round and could go in the early 20s. Kinda hard to fault the guy. If you're a first round pick, you leave. That's always been the conventional wisdom.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:41 am I gotta say: DT has been steadily climbing in the mocks. He's looking increasingly a lock for the first round and could go in the early 20s. Kinda hard to fault the guy. If you're a first round pick, you leave. That's always been the conventional wisdom.
Well depends, the rules go as:

Freshman - If you're lotto you go.
Sophomore - If you're 1st round you go.
Junior - If returning could only hurt your draft stock you go.

So per the rules Dalen isn't leaving at the wrong time. I still mad though.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:00 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:41 am I gotta say: DT has been steadily climbing in the mocks. He's looking increasingly a lock for the first round and could go in the early 20s. Kinda hard to fault the guy. If you're a first round pick, you leave. That's always been the conventional wisdom.
Well depends, the rules go as:

Freshman - If you're lotto you go.
Sophomore - If you're 1st round you go.
Junior - If returning could only hurt your draft stock you go.

So per the rules Dalen isn't leaving at the wrong time. I still mad though.
I get it, Choo. We all do. He was supposed to be our star next season. And as the season ended, I don't think anyone thought he'd really leave. All signs were that he'd be back.

But it's possible even he didn't know how well his pre-draft process would go. I can't think of too many other players who had this happen. It usually goes the other way: a guy overestimates his draft appeal and then returns to school.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Everyone sees DT's potential. But most of us here thought he wasn't quite ready, and he'd probably project as mid to late 2nd round to UFA. He made the right call declaring and going to the combine. Because now, he's projected mid to late first round or early second round. As a sophomore, staying now is also likely the right call.

And while a top 10 pick gets about $1.5 million more on the first contract, if DT succeeds in the NBA, he'll more than make up for that in his second contract and beyond. And the math states that leaving now, he'll have another year of getting paid on subsequent contracts, and over his lifetime leaving now will prove to be the right decision financially.

Selfishly, we all want DT back in Tucson being the star next year. But the metrics say leaving now is the right decision for him. Can fault a guy for making a smart decision.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:40 am Everyone sees DT's potential. But most of us here thought he wasn't quite ready, and he'd probably project as mid to late 2nd round to UFA. He made the right call declaring and going to the combine. Because now, he's projected mid to late first round or early second round. As a sophomore, staying now is also likely the right call.

And while a top 10 pick gets about $1.5 million more on the first contract, if DT succeeds in the NBA, he'll more than make up for that in his second contract and beyond. And the math states that leaving now, he'll have another year of getting paid on subsequent contracts, and over his lifetime leaving now will prove to be the right decision financially.

Selfishly, we all want DT back in Tucson being the star next year. But the metrics say leaving now is the right decision for him. Can fault a guy for making a smart decision.
Yep. DT made the right call.

The question is whether the NBA is going to come to realize that drafting on potential might not be the right call. And whether, just as the game itself evolves in accordance with the metrics data, the approach to the draft evolves in accordance with the historical data on player development.

And if players end up staying in college longer like the old days, it becomes even more urgent to pay the players directly, and not just allow them to get paid.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:10 am
AzCatFan2 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:40 am Everyone sees DT's potential. But most of us here thought he wasn't quite ready, and he'd probably project as mid to late 2nd round to UFA. He made the right call declaring and going to the combine. Because now, he's projected mid to late first round or early second round. As a sophomore, staying now is also likely the right call.

Yep. DT made the right call.

The question is whether the NBA is going to come to realize that drafting on potential might not be the right call. And whether, just as the game itself evolves in accordance with the metrics data, the approach to the draft evolves in accordance with the historical data on player development.

And if players end up staying in college longer like the old days, it becomes even more urgent to pay the players directly, and not just allow them to get paid.
Some organizations know how to develop players with said potential, while others are absolutely awful at it. Guys with potential as their primary selling point are playing Russian Roulette via the draft, that's for sure.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I also think DT is just an ideal prospect in today's increasingly position-less NBA. He can play 4 positions, and he's got an excellent hoops IQ. During the season, I called him a more athletic Luke Walton, and I'll stick to that.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think DT is going to be in the NBA for a long time
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

On ESPN's draft show with Bilas last night they had Benn at 5 and DT at 21. If he is at 21 that is a homerun for a career 8 point scorer regardless of other attributes. Anywhere in the first is an automatic go for me. I am really surprised he is that high. It wasn't till the last ten games last year that I didn't cringe when he shot a 3. Koloko was high 30's in the preview also.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

TheCat wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:01 pm On ESPN's draft show with Bilas last night they had Benn at 5 and DT at 21. If he is at 21 that is a homerun for a career 8 point scorer regardless of other attributes. Anywhere in the first is an automatic go for me. I am really surprised he is that high. It wasn't till the last ten games last year that I didn't cringe when he shot a 3. Koloko was high 30's in the preview also.
Heard that DT might get picked up around the 26th pick. (mock draft discussion) Good luck DT!

Correction: 26th to Houston

B/R says:
20. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors): Dalen Terry (Arizona, PG/SG, Sophomore)
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/100 ... mock-draft

27th pick Miami
https://www.nbadraft.net/nba-mock-drafts/
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Happy to see DT projected in the first round. Good for him, and confirms he made the right choice. Thought his scoring average over his first two years might cause teams to shy away, but I understand DT shot very well at combine and individual workouts. With guys like Draymond Green and Jae Crowder, NBA teams know the value of a 3 and D guy that can also rebound well and be a secondary ball handler. Minus about 20 to 25 pounds of muscle, which DT can certainly add, I DT fits this mold.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Could go as high as 14 to the Cavs, just outside the lottery
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's almost like DT's projected draft stock in '23 arrived early.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »