Pelle Larsson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Re: Pelle Larsson

Post by Merkin »

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Do they still use these? He sure looks like could have used one.

Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Pelle is built like a tank
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The last few games he has looked gassed to me.
At OSU he was walking in front of their guy as they brought ball up court. He had his back to ball but kept in front of dribbler just to slow him down a little.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If he didn’t win I was planning a one-man riot.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

#StudSwede
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Swedish army knife!
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:12 pm If he didn’t win I was planning a one-man riot.
Nah... would have been at least the 2 of us!
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:12 pm If he didn’t win I was planning a one-man riot.
I'd've rioted right along with you!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

One more and we can have an insurrection.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think he is Arizona's most valuable player. The offense does not run as well when he is not on the court. He is by far the most versatile defender, unselfish (sometimes to a fault), and is a great leader. You always see him talking in the teams huddle on the court.

So I know he is a senior but does he still have a COVID year of eligibility left? Does Caleb?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

TheCat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:06 pm I think he is Arizona's most valuable player. The offense does not run as well when he is not on the court. He is by far the most versatile defender, unselfish (sometimes to a fault), and is a great leader. You always see him talking in the teams huddle on the court.

So I know he is a senior but does he still have a COVID year of eligibility left? Does Caleb?
I think I heard that everybody except Keshad could come back if they want.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

My only knock on Pelle is that he should shoot the 3 ball more often. That step-back was beautiful. I wish Tommy would order up pick-n-pops for him. Any simple perimeter set-up would save him some paint contact, and that in itself is as good as time management for a guy who puts his body on the line as much as Pelle does. He's precious to us. He's like an exuberant collie willing run its feet into bloody stumps if left unminded.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RichardCranium wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:30 pm One more and we can have an insurrection.
I’ll bring the tiki torches.

Too soon?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I don’t want Pelle to shoot more. He never really takes a bad shot and he can score from all 3 levels. I want him to continue to do his thing within the flow of the offense.

The only knock on his game, and it’s a small one, is he sometimes loses the ball when he penetrates. Doesn’t have the strongest handles.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:57 pm I don’t want Pelle to shoot more. He never really takes a bad shot and he can score from all 3 levels. I want him to continue to do his thing within the flow of the offense.
Totally agree.. and I think he has been shooting the ball more as of late.

But to your point.... I can't really think of 1 time when I thought he took an ill advised shot.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Chicat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:34 pm
RichardCranium wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 4:30 pm One more and we can have an insurrection.
I’ll bring the tiki torches.

Too soon?
We don't have mosquitos yet so maybe too soon for the torches. 😁
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:15 pm
TheCat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:06 pm I think he is Arizona's most valuable player. The offense does not run as well when he is not on the court. He is by far the most versatile defender, unselfish (sometimes to a fault), and is a great leader. You always see him talking in the teams huddle on the court.

I think I heard that everybody except Keshad could come back if they want.
Ballo is gone too right?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheCat wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:02 pm Ballo is gone too right?
This is only his 4th year of competition. He still gets his free Covid season.

This is Keshad's 5th season of competition.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

One of my favorite all-time Cats. So goddamn happy we didn’t have to face him on Utah For four years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Same, always loved the glue guys. Represents the UA well, even when he curses! :)

Just amazed how well these foreign players speak English, although in today's world many countries start it at an early age.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Talking to a new Asian friend he said he pretty much learned Conversational English from The Office, Friends and other shows by hearing them speak English and reading the subtitles, then learned proper grammar, and how to read and write at school.

American pop culture is a bridge builder
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Pelle Larsson is our most critical player. First he is a leader, second he is a great versatile defender, third he is selfless, fourth he can shoot free throws and make open shots. The offense just flows so much better when he is on the floor. It will be key for him to stay out of foul trouble. Love the guy and how hard he plays.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

He can also drive the lane. Something I wish Love would do a little more of.
I wish Pelle would do it more,too.

Nitpicking.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Big difference in Boswell games is he also now drives to the hole, where before he would do the Kriisa and just hang out on the perimeter and chuck 3's.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:18 pm Big difference in Boswell games is he also now drives to the hole, where before he would do the Kriisa and just hang out on the perimeter and chuck 3's.
We are significantly better without Kriisa.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:32 pm
Merkin wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:18 pm Big difference in Boswell games is he also now drives to the hole, where before he would do the Kriisa and just hang out on the perimeter and chuck 3's.
WVU last in the Big 12 agrees with you.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Merkin wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:02 pm
EvanMiya ranks Kriisa 701 in the NCAA with a negative defensive rating.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Lute4God wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:22 pm
Merkin wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:02 pm
EvanMiya ranks Kriisa 701 in the NCAA with a negative defensive rating.
I like, and liked, Kerr. This season he's shooting 43% from three and making 4.7 assists per game - all while playing for a team seriously depleted after Huggins' departure.

BTW, Caleb (36%, 3.5 assists) and Kylan (40%, 3.6 assists)

I wish him well, and have enjoyed watching him play a few times this season.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

SI NBA scouting report
Additionally, the potential he's shown as a passer off of closeouts and in the pick-and-roll could lead to him fulfilling a secondary ball-handler role within a year or two in the league.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/prospect-p ... le-larsson
Liked this part since his side pick and roll with Ballo is incredibly efficient for getting lobs to the rim or drives for Larsson. Has to be one of the most efficient plays UA runs.

Article also gives him great props as a defender on multiple positions.
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

Overall had a great career but had a knack for disappearing in games this season.

Last night he did not defend well at all. When Cats cut it down to 2 with under a min left, he let Chase blow by him to the basket, which put pressure on the defenders the basket and hence the deuce and 1.

Maybe he’s better as the sixth man. Hope he latches on to an NBA team as a key reserve.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Djcat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:58 am Overall had a great career but had a knack for disappearing in games this season.

Last night he did not defend well at all. When Cats cut it down to 2 with under a min left, he let Chase blow by him to the basket, which put pressure on the defenders the basket and hence the deuce and 1.

Maybe he’s better as the sixth man. Hope he latches on to an NBA team as a key reserve.
Pelle's defensive lapses were neither as glaring or as significant as Johnson's in the last part of the game - a couple were at critical times, but by then we were in desperation defensive mode against experienced and skilled players.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I love Pelle and truly believe he was the glue that really made this team work but last night he had what I would argue was his worst game ever in an Arizona uniform. It happens....just not when we expected it.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

TheCat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:03 am I love Pelle and truly believe he was the glue that really made this team work but last night he had what I would argue was his worst game ever in an Arizona uniform. It happens....just not when we expected it.
That same could be said of all the starters, except Oumar.

This was a TEAM loss, not attributable to any individual player.

― Kinky Friedman
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

Yeah Johnson jumped at so many fakes. Also that foul on the 3 point was totally dumb. He turned around to see if it went in and dropped right into the shooter.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Djcat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:26 am Yeah Johnson jumped at so many fakes. Also that foul on the 3 point was totally dumb. He turned around to see if it went in and dropped right into the shooter.
And, incredibly, that normally excellent FT-shooter missed 2/3!! But then Johnson blew the next defensive set even worse!

Shit happens! (Especially in tournament departures!)

― Kinky Friedman
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

An award that really should receive more positive regard!

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Especially since English is at best his 2nd language.

Thought this was about his decision, but a great post.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

So nice to see in this day and age. Megacongratulatiins Pelle
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

pc in NM wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:28 am An award that really should receive more positive regard!
School is for suckers!
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

pc in NM wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:28 am An award that really should receive more positive regard!
It is nice to see an bball/fball athlete pursuing a degree is something other than interdisciplinary studies or family studies
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

LuteIsGod wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:13 pm
School is for suckers!
Except when you're paid to go to school!! The best of all!!

― Kinky Friedman
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

He had the highest draft potential, so good for him. Hope he has a very long NBA career, although from my understanding NBA players need to do one thing extremely well, and Larsson is good at everything, but great at nothing.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:08 pm
In case the above isn't clear
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I have said it before I think he was the glue that held the team together. It will be interesting to see who can fulfill that role. Sorry to see him go.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

TheCat wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:51 pm I have said it before I think he was the glue that held the team together. It will be interesting to see who can fulfill that role. Sorry to see him go.
KJ Lewis