Game Days at McKale

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Jefe

Game Days at McKale

Post by Jefe »

I think this statement by Lloyd got lost in the excitement last week. What do you think he has up his sleeve? Are any other schools doing something prior to games?

Tailgating would make the most sense but fans park on the the lawn. You could split up a few hundred people between Hall of Champions and Davis Sports Center. Open up some of RJ Gym?

What would make you show up 3 hours prior to tip-off?
AZCatGirl

Re: Game Days at McKale

Post by AZCatGirl »

Jefe wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:12 pm What would make you show up 3 hours prior to tip-off?
Not something they could do every game day, but having an autograph session now and then would definitely get me to show up early.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Jefe wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:12 pm What would make you show up 3 hours prior to tip-off?
Why was the first thought I had booze and a wet t shirt contest?
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

BBQ food trucks and a blues band.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Please no. My assigned parking is Cherry Ave. Garage.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

Longhorned wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:55 am Please no. My assigned parking is Cherry Ave. Garage.
This is only one reason Pre-gaming on weekdays wouldn’t work. It is first and foremost, a college campus. Moreover, many are barely making it from class/work and a quick dinner for early games. (Don’t get me started on 9:00 games.) Further, my liver can’t handle that many tailgates.

I do believe, however, some sort of festival atmosphere on the field north of the NEZ or the indoor practice facility would be great for weekend games.

BTW, lest you think the blue hairs won’t get their drink on, you should catch their act at donor functions when there is free or cheap booze.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Not sure what you can do pregame to make the experience better in basketball?

I think he may be talking about working with the student section and maybe something post game
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:01 am I think he may be talking about working with the student section and maybe something post game
He's going to bring back Sean Miller's boing boing pass!!!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beer pong tournaments in the football practice facility prior to games.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azgreg wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:28 am Beer pong tournaments in the football practice facility prior to games.
With all you can eat Sonoran hot dogs.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

I'd assume he's talking about the no-shows and late arrivals. I'm pretty sure we count tickets sold for our attendance, rather than the tickets scanned (although I could be wrong about that.) In any event, for a number of the games I attended, there were plenty of empty seats scattered in McKale, as well as in my section. Maybe some of it was Covid fears or mask annoyance, but the non-conference schedule was also uninspiring, and other than the very fun Oregon, UCLA, and ASU games, our coast through the Pac-12 took some of the drama out of it. I think there was a cumulative effect of the drop-off at the end of the Sean Miller Era, Covid, and this season taking people by surprise. But, I'll also say we have a late-arriving crowd. In bad weather areas (including Spokane), I think the crowd arrives early to avoid any traffic delays and to get indoors out of the cold weather. So you've got a big intimidating crowd during warm-ups, which coaches like. Here, people mill around outside or in other areas drinking beer and talking until sometimes it's "Oh crap...the game has started" whether it's the start of the game or the second half. I've long said they should have a countdown clock and warning sounds outside of the arena area. Meanwhile, I doubt you can change the weather and culture, our fans have become a bit jaded, and I don't think we'll be going back to the heyday of the Fiesta Classic or often getting big home-and-homes. These days, it's neutral court tournaments in resort locations. I'm sure some will disagree, but one thing I'd suggest is turning down the sound system a little. It's a good system and non-stop energy, but when the few times you can talk to the person next to you is when the band is playing, that's kind of telling. Meanwhile, if Tommy's got some great ideas from Gonzaga or some other place; fine, let's take a look at them.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I hate the canned music. Would much rather hear the pep band during time outs.

I think he might look at moving portions of the student section. Probably will get a lot of resistance on that.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Well I got excited and automatically assumed he was talking about getting people lubed up prior the game haha. The coach should never have to pump the fans up late in the 2H.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:17 am I hate the canned music. Would much rather hear the pep band during time outs.
I really hate the display boards that go "MAKE NOISE" and other crap like that. If you really need to be told when to cheer, you shouldn't be there.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:59 pm
azcat49 wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:17 am I hate the canned music. Would much rather hear the pep band during time outs.
I really hate the display boards that go "MAKE NOISE" and other crap like that. If you really need to be told when to cheer, you shouldn't be there.
Damn right! We just need a new Ooh-Aah guy.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

BBQ wildcat wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:37 pm
Merkin wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:59 pm
Damn right! We just need a new Ooh-Aah guy.
Can we convince Gronk to move back to Tucson?
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!