South Region Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: South Region Discussion

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:28 pm
the second weekend is where the better and more dominant teams generally begin to flex their muscle - i expect more of the same this weekend in all the regions.
97, who do you like to come out of the other regions?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:00 pm 97, who do you like to come out of the other regions?
ceiling for the remaining sixteen teams in the NCAA Tournament:

Gonzaga - National Champion
Villanova - ELITE 8
Purdue - ELITE 8
Providence - Sweet 16
Miami - Final Four
Arizona - National Champion
Kansas - National Final
North Carolina - National Champion
Texas Tech - ELITE 8
Duke - ELITE 8
UCLA - Final Four
Houston - National Final
Arkansas - Sweet 16
Michigan - ELITE 8
St Peter's - Sweet 16
Iowa State - ELITE 8
Last edited by 97cats on Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:17 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:00 pm 97, who do you like to come out of the other regions?

Villanova - ELITE 8
Purdue - ELITE 8
Providence - Sweet 16
Miami - Final Four
Kansas - National Final
Texas Tech - ELITE 8
Duke - ELITE 8
UCLA - Final Four
Houston - National Final
Arkansas - Sweet 16
Michigan - ELITE 8
St Joseph's - Sweet 16
Iowa State - ELITE 8
UNC to win it all, eh? Wow. Pretty surprising to me that you have the Tar Heels as the third possible national champion, but I'm sure you have your reasons. And I can see you like the UNC/ucla winner to reach the Final Four. Not feeling Purdue, eh?

Note: over the last quarter century, only two teams seeded lower than a 3 have won it all. UConn (7) in '11 and Arizona (4) in '97.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Totally forgot face stomp was from Houston. Hope we own these guys Thursday.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:57 pm Totally forgot face stomp was from Houston. Hope we own these guys Thursday.
Oh man. If Chase is in attendance on Thursday, that shit is gonna pump me up.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

St Joseph's - Sweet 16
Gonna take a lot of blizzards and Phil Martelli whining for that to happen. Maybe the school can call in a Joey Brackets favor.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

It’s Saint Peter’s
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:48 pm Here's a video from how Sampson has setup Houston from last year, still relevant...

How Houston Scores

Yeah I think they're going to play Tubelis out of the game game because of the post trap, he's going to get stripped constantly.

Ballo I think will be similar. We have to get the bigs inside ball so that they don't have to take much of a step or dribble. Even when it looks like we'll have a clear advantage, they're switching will negate that quickly. Koloko is the only one who's patient and has the post moves to wait for the trap to end because they don't do it permanently.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

RaisingArizona wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:51 am

St Joseph's - Sweet 16
Gonna take a lot of blizzards and Phil Martelli whining for that to happen. Maybe the school can call in a Joey Brackets favor.
:lol:

this is very funny well Martelli is in the Sweet 16 in San Antonio this year so maybe he can help me out!

:lol:
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Villanova - ELITE 8
Purdue - ELITE 8
Providence - Sweet 16
Miami - Final Four
Kansas - National Final
Texas Tech - ELITE 8
Duke - ELITE 8
UCLA - Final Four
Houston - National Final
Arkansas - Sweet 16
Michigan - ELITE 8
St Peter's - Sweet 16
Iowa State - ELITE 8
Interesting.

Only things I'd change as far as ceilings:
Kansas- Champs
North Carolina- Final Four
Texas Tech- Finals
Duke- Champs
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I don't see it with Kansas. They'll likely get to the Final Four bc of their gift of a draw (both seeding and upsets) but I just don't think that's all that talented of a roster.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

RaisingArizona wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:29 am I don't see it with Kansas. They'll likely get to the Final Four bc of their gift of a draw (both seeding and upsets) but I just don't think that's all that talented of a roster.
I don't see it either. But with such an easy draw to the Final 4... they have a shot
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:59 am
CatFanOneMil wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:48 pm Here's a video from how Sampson has setup Houston from last year, still relevant...

How Houston Scores

Yeah I think they're going to play Tubelis out of the game game because of the post trap, he's going to get stripped constantly.

Ballo I think will be similar. We have to get the bigs inside ball so that they don't have to take much of a step or dribble. Even when it looks like we'll have a clear advantage, they're switching will negate that quickly. Koloko is the only one who's patient and has the post moves to wait for the trap to end because they don't do it permanently.
Against the set defense, I can't picture how we'll get the ball to the bigs in that position. I also don't see how we can play Koloko and Ballo together against Houston.

I'm not saying it won't happen, just that Tommy's (and some of you guys's) basketball imagination exceeds my basketball imagination.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I can see the post trapping going both ways. We're a bit of a paradox against that particular strategy in that we are both suspect at being strong with the ball and keeping it up high away from smaller players while also being truly elite at both interior passing and cutting without the ball. It wouldn't surprise me if it causes us fits or if we completely roast it and force Houston off of that strategy.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:52 am

How Houston Scores

Against the set defense, I can't picture how we'll get the ball to the bigs in that position. I also don't see how we can play Koloko and Ballo together against Houston.

I'm not saying it won't happen, just that Tommy's (and some of you guys's) basketball imagination exceeds my basketball imagination.
We have to pass to the bigs on the short roll like Memphis did in the video. But that requires bigs putting the ball on the floor. Tubelis is the best at it but he can only go left and gets stripped a considerable amount when moving with the ball in traffic.

The team that gave Houston the most trouble this year was Memphis with their big athletic wings. That's how we're going to have to win vs them. Use them to carry Arizona and open up the post.

Mathurin and Terry have to attack the basket relentlessly.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

How Houston Scores

Being honest, I'm not sure heavy post entries should ever be a major plan for us. Tubelis needs to make plays on the move, and even Koloko isn't a pound it in big guy.

I agree job 1 is letting our bigs play off other people. If we have to rely on them to create vs a set defense, it'll be rough. I'd focus on trying to get Koloko in a lot of rim running actions off the pick and roll. Houston doesn't have a ton of length sp they'll have to honor that.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

If only we had athletic wings. Oh wait ...
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Love, love love being the underdog in this game.

“Kerr Kriisa could have like 17 turnovers this game” —Rob Dauster

Love love love.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RaisingArizona wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:51 am If only we had athletic wings. Oh wait ...
Who don't need to fall in love with chucking 3s
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Listening to a ton of basketball podcasts to and from work from “the experts” I’ve realized none of them watch arizona basketball outside of curated clips.

It’s maddening
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:09 am
RaisingArizona wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:51 am If only we had athletic wings. Oh wait ...
Who don't need to fall in love with chucking 3s
That's important, especially if they aren't going down. We have the length and athleticism to make plays going to the rim, so that needs to be option 1 every time.

3's should come more off penetration and kick on in rhythm in transition.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I was gonna ask about Houston's three point shooting, but then quickly remembered that it doesn't matter: they will shoot their highest 3FG% of the season on Thursday. Even TCU was pretty hot from three in the first half, and they are NOT a good three point shooting team.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:15 pm
DrWildcat wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:12 pm
Thanks, that makes sense. Just trying to put some context to the the stats. I do worry about our turnover tendencies with a team like Houston though. But agree that if we play to our potential we will be fine.
youre more than welcome - in this game Arizona turnovers committed and offensive rebounds for Houston allowed will tell the tale of this game
also super important with this team are the type of turnovers. If we turn the ball over trying to lob high/low, or over the top of the D in the half court, that doesn't bug me. Even the tightest angle pass is about 60-70% conversion rate, going to a position where, if controlled, the conversion rate is very high. So a turnover every 3rd or 4th lob to entry (not lob to alley oop...missing those is much more problematic) is still getting a high conversion rate.

But more importantly, those turnovers are usually tipped around and lost after a small scramble, and are under the basket. So we don't get run out on. The turnovers on the perimeter, or missed lobs to dunk, or stripped drives...those lead to advantage breaks the other way, and are killer. There have been games where we have run up a pretty high TO number, but with continuing to hammer the high/low and having a few go bad really inflating that number. Those, I mentally consider to be like missed shots, because CK is going to dunk or lay in the easy 2 if the ball gets to him, and the turnover is controlled close to the rim and without momentum going the other way, like a normal steal.
prh

Post by prh »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:17 am I was gonna ask about Houston's three point shooting, but then quickly remembered that it doesn't matter: they will shoot their highest 3FG% of the season on Thursday. Even TCU was pretty hot from three in the first half, and they are NOT a good three point shooting team.
If they do shoot well from 3, that will dramatically cut down their offensive rebounding, so I don't think it's as much an overall boost to them as it is for most teams. Their offensive rebounding is from longer rebounds off mid-long range misses, of which there are a LOT. They don't rebound like us (ie. very heavy around the rim).
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I'm feeling oddly calm about this game right now.

Bet that changes by Thursday...
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:17 am I was gonna ask about Houston's three point shooting, but then quickly remembered that it doesn't matter: they will shoot their highest 3FG% of the season on Thursday. Even TCU was pretty hot from three in the first half, and they are NOT a good three point shooting team.
Of course the Cats will get Houston’s best shot. I guess that is flattering considering everting looks forward to playing Arizona. In many cases it is their Super Bowl.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We've already had the 3 and 4 knocked out for us, and a coin flip's chance we'll face an 11 in the Elite 8.

Yet the hand wringing continues. Do we what do.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

They ended up shooting like 23% compared to our 18%
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Okay, I've read all the pregame analysis I'm going to have time for before Thursday. It's prediction time. Would like to see some others.

AZ 70
Houston 65

BTFD!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

this is exactly what AZ wants - everyone telling them they will lose

perfect thank you everyone i will carry that message with me loud and proud...AZ has no shot in San Antonio
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:45 am this is exactly what AZ wants - everyone telling them they will lose

perfect thank you everyone i will carry that message with me loud and proud...AZ has no shot in San Antonio
zero chance
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

And don’t forget to start an overrated chant at just the right time to motivate Mathurin.

Cats 83-68 Thursday night
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:45 am this is exactly what AZ wants - everyone telling them they will lose

Clearly we've lucked into 33 victories
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

All of these are from shot quality

https://twitter.com/Shot_Quality

Interesting here, our defensive efficiency has fallen 10-12 spots on bayesian, kenpom, Bart torvik etc but we are still holding opponents to bad shots (tcu shot 35%)

RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Olsondogg wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:08 am Love, love love being the underdog in this game.

Love love love.
Rob Dauster: "Kerr Kriisa was the best player on TCU."

Narrator: Arizona was +27 with Kerr Kriisa on the floor
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

prh wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:35 am
If they do shoot well from 3, that will dramatically cut down their offensive rebounding, so I don't think it's as much an overall boost to them as it is for most teams. Their offensive rebounding is from longer rebounds off mid-long range misses, of which there are a LOT. They don't rebound like us (ie. very heavy around the rim).
This is the thing that gets me. Their shot selection makes for long rebounds. The defense is basically out of position for those. How do you counter? Just sheer effort by our guards and wings?
prh

Post by prh »

We are universal 1.5 point favorite. Bookmakers backing up what we are saying
prh

Post by prh »

Longhorned wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:06 am
This is the thing that gets me. Their shot selection makes for long rebounds. The defense is basically out of position for those. How do you counter? Just sheer effort by our guards and wings?
All effort and focus. There's a couple factors. One is our desire to leak out for transition buckets. I think trading that leak out for staying home is absolutely worth it. Secondly, can't have our perimeter guys creep/collapse to the rim when the shot is up. Guards and wings gotta move backwards, away from the rim and put a body on someone.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

prh wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:09 am
Longhorned wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:06 am
All effort and focus. There's a couple factors. One is our desire to leak out for transition buckets. I think trading that leak out for staying home is absolutely worth it. Secondly, can't have our perimeter guys creep/collapse to the rim when the shot is up. Guards and wings gotta move backwards, away from the rim and put a body on someone.
It really is interesting. Our defense has been giving up long rebounds all season, but it's been worth it on balance. Now we're facing a team that both makes a living off long offensive rebounds and can defend in transition. So, the calculus changes to accepting a slower pace that, on paper, favors Houston, but in reality speeds Houston up because they're giving up all those refreshed shot clocks if we can grab the defensive boards at the expense of getting out on the run.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Our constant defensive switching just puts us in bad rebounding situations sometimes.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:53 am And don’t forget to start an overrated chant at just the right time to motivate Mathurin.

Cats 83-68 Thursday night
I was gonna pick our score in the 80s, but Houston's opponents only score 60ppg! I do think we'll impose our style of play and make them uncomfortable, but I think overall the game will be slightly lower scoring. If we put up 83 on these chumps, I agree: it won't be that close.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

79-70 Cats.

Also good point by RS. We switch a lot. It will be interesting to see if we switch less often against this team in order to get a body on everyone.

Also, if they are so busy offensive rebounding, we should be able to run it on them when we grab the boards on D.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Well think about it from Houstons POV, how do you stop Arizona?
Do you pack in the paint and force a lot of turnovers?
Do you double Benn AND C-lo...that leaves three guys open...
If you double up on C-Lo do you live with three pointers?

I think they will try to force us into three pointers because our last game numbers there were not good...

So we know they are going to pack in the paint and not allow penetration...the problem is we pass off to the bigs there pretty well or dish out to an open three.

If Pelle and Krissa and Terry are hitting threes its a route...if the threes are not falling we probably win the rebound battle because its a long bounce...

I just don't see what options Houston has that we have not already dealt with this season.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:32 am 79-70 Cats.

Also good point by RS. We switch a lot. It will be interesting to see if we switch less often against this team in order to get a body on everyone.

Also, if they are so busy offensive rebounding, we should be able to run it on them when we grab the boards on D.
Or, when defending so many jump shots: If you're out of position from switching, does it finally work in your favor to be a tall guy away from the basket who can tip or grab so many long rebounds?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CatFanOneMil wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:38 am
If Pelle and Krissa and Terry are hitting threes its a route...if the threes are not falling we probably win the rebound battle because its a long bounce...

I just don't see what options Houston has that we have not already dealt with this season.
Given what happened in the last game, I HAVE to think Larsson and Kriisa are going to shoot better on Thursday. These guys have been huge for us all season, and I imagine they're both eager to splash some threes this week.

I expect a better game from Tubelis too.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:55 am
CatFanOneMil wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:38 am

Given what happened in the last game, I HAVE to think Larsson and Kriisa are going to shoot better on Thursday. These guys have been huge for us all season, and I imagine they're both eager to splash some threes this week.

I expect a better game from Tubelis too.
I agree, Tubelis may actually be the X-factor here...not on Houstons radar, and the other guys its a matter of the averages catching up...

I am convinced Tommy Lloyd knows what he is doing, and he knows it based on evidence he has seen, he's telling the guys to take the threes...there's a reason.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Plus when Tubelis gets on a roll offensively it's something else. That guy can put up 15-20 points in a blink of an eye.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

RaisingArizona wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:06 am
Olsondogg wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:08 am Love, love love being the underdog in this game.

Love love love.
Rob Dauster: "Kerr Kriisa was the best player on TCU."

Narrator: Arizona was +27 with Kerr Kriisa on the floor
Rob's colleague Jeff Goodman had Illinois in the Final Four.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:22 am Our constant defensive switching just puts us in bad rebounding situations sometimes.
That and the tendency to leak out on a fast break plays into it too.

I'm sure the Aw Shucks Genius Assassin is in his laboratory cooking up something before Thursday.