South Region Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: South Region Discussion

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:56 am
RaisingArizona wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:47 am Fans say some ugly things. I'm not going to jump to conclusions without knowing all of the context. In my experience Dallas metro yuppies are often about as two faced as they come in terms of oscillating between trying to act classy and being brash and ostentatious as all hell.
The things they were saying on the TCU message board certainly back this up - talking about during the game how they should step on Kerr's ankle, how Benn is just a thug athlete who can't shoot (that's not just a little racist, btw), how Tucson should be wiped off the map, and then complaining that Arizona didn't celebrate with class. I said it in the other thread but I've honestly not seen that kind of vitriol outside of college football nutjob fanbases before.

Why did Arizona celebrate like that against UCLA? Because UCLA talked their shit in our loss and had it coming if we won. Why did Arizona celebrate like that against TCU? Probably because TCU was talking their shit and had it coming if we won.

Fair guess given the behavior of the TCU players and the words of their fans online.
I'll say this overall, and I didn't read any TCU message board, there's an argument I believe that message boards frequently attract the worst of a fanbase.

Just across the board, internet discussion is kind of an ugly pit and message board cater to sone of the most intense fans and also those with the least self awareness of how far off they are.

It takes somewhat different forms depending on the board and the fanbase, but online dialogue isn't great in general and message boards do it no favors.

I'm 100% aware I'm saying this on a message board and hold myself out as proof of exactly the type of misanthrope that hangs out on message boards.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

SabinoDrifter wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:10 am
UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:06 am
That is really interesting.
I find that really promising bc we're not getting blown out
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

RaisingArizona wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:47 am Fans say some ugly things. I'm not going to jump to conclusions without knowing all of the context. In my experience Dallas metro yuppies are often about as two faced as they come in terms of oscillating between trying to act classy and being brash and ostentatious as all hell.
The things they were saying on the TCU message board certainly back this up - talking about during the game how they should step on Kerr's ankle, how Benn is just a thug athlete who can't shoot (that's not just a little racist, btw), how Tucson should be wiped off the map, and then complaining that Arizona didn't celebrate with class. I said it in the other thread but I've honestly not seen that kind of vitriol outside of college football nutjob fanbases before.

Why did Arizona celebrate like that against UCLA? Because UCLA talked their shit in our loss and had it coming if we won. Why did Arizona celebrate like that against TCU? Probably because TCU was talking their shit and had it coming if we won.

Fair guess given the behavior of the TCU players and the words of their fans online.
I approve this message.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:51 pm im not one for all the sauce floss - Terry saying "we are the best team in the country" after the game on live television isnt my favorite.

perhaps im getting crusty
You are, unless you didn’t like Terry on top of a table post Kansas win, or Momo kissing the camera etc.

The 97 team was as cocky as they come. I want the hate, and I love the cockinesss.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

97cats wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:51 pm im not one for all the sauce floss - Terry saying "we are the best team in the country" after the game on live television isnt my favorite.

I understand the hurdles and challenges the team has faced over the last couple of years, but its a bit unseemly for a team as good as ours to grandstand and taunt. Especially on a consistent basis, measured doses maybe. I don't mind the hate, but some of the stuff we do is over the top.

It's tough to get a good read on Houston. All of their losses were close, except for the Memphis games which gave them problems because of their athleticism and length (sound familiar)?

It's reductive though for Houston to call us a suped up Memphis. We're far more efficient, have better personnel, and play much smarter. More depth too. They pride themselves by saying that we have never seen a defense like theirs. Well, not too sure about that. Tennessee is extremely effective and is actually rated higher than they are, UCLA and TCU are top 20, Illinois is top 30 and even lowly ASU has a top 25 defense, so it's not like we haven't been battle tested. Illinois was a great win for them, but we are not them. We're a sound team. If we play good, but not great defense and offense, I think we have a very good chance.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:02 pm

I'll say this overall, and I didn't read any TCU message board, there's an argument I believe that message boards frequently attract the worst of a fanbase.

Just across the board, internet discussion is kind of an ugly pit and message board cater to sone of the most intense fans and also those with the least self awareness of how far off they are.

It takes somewhat different forms depending on the board and the fanbase, but online dialogue isn't great in general and message boards do it no favors.

I'm 100% aware I'm saying this on a message board and hold myself out as proof of exactly the type of misanthrope that hangs out on message boards.
But I am the exception right Spiff???

:lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:07 pm

You are, unless you didn’t like Terry on top of a table post Kansas win, or Momo kissing the camera etc.

The 97 team was as cocky as they come. I want the hate, and I love the cockinesss.
The Terry thing is one of those distinguishing parts for me. It's one thing to do that towards your own crowd. Post-TCU, if players run to the Arizona crowd to whip them up, I'd have loved it. It's the part of directing at TCU fans that gives me pause.

Or Momo, it was a dogpile in the immediate aftermath of a game winner (Stanford, right?) where the camera found him. Compared to one of the things post-UCLA seeing Ballo and Terry run to a camera and pose for it.

Like I said, I have no issue with talking trash or confidence. I had no issue with Kerr's big balls dance midgame. Or Benn staring at a TCU player post-dunk.

I get 97's discomfort with postgame stuff where it comes off like a show or seems like taunting opposing fans.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

prh

Post by prh »

Ever since Parrom left, we've been crying desperately for some take zero shit, fuck everybody, ice in veins attitude. We talk about Benn being That Guy especially after his 3 the other night. But we have a bunch of That Guys, Kerr, Terry, Benn is just the lead guy now.

We have the exact characters needed to win big. It's been a while and we're not used to it. We got them, this is what it's like, let's go win.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

I totally disagree.

I have an issue with this, provided this quote was not taken out of context. I've been rooting for UofA for a very long time (long before any player on this team was born), and one thing I know for sure is that the UofA name and brand is bigger than any one person, season, team or obstacle. Arizona Basketball is not any one player's personal fiefdom. The players that we have not only represent themselves, but the players who came before them and Coach Olson who set the tone for what Arizona stands for. I love winning and showing the basketball world how the UofA can dominate, but not like this. i'm actually surprised because I know they would not allow this at Gonzaga.

As far as I can remember, UofA players have always been dignified, well spoken and mature. It is NOT good form for players to sully what has been built over decades. You can be competitive and fierce and still maintain your self respect. The example the players set are not only important things, but enduring things.
RondaeShimmy wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:35 pm
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

To everyone who doesn't like their attitudes and personalities

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

You guys should watch the pressor so you don't get the wrong impression. The guys are fine and having fun. You can also brush up on your French

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

RawleArenas wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:38 pm I totally disagree.

I have an issue with this, provided this quote was not taken out of context. I've been rooting for UofA for a very long time (long before any player on this team was born), and one thing I know for sure is that the UofA name and brand is bigger than any one person, season, team or obstacle. Arizona Basketball is not any one player's personal fiefdom. The players that we have not only represent themselves, but the players who came before them and Coach Olson who set the tone for what Arizona stands for. I love winning and showing the basketball world how the UofA can dominate, but not like this. i'm actually surprised because I know they would not allow this at Gonzaga.

As far as I can remember, UofA players have always been dignified, well spoken and mature. It is NOT good form for players to sully what has been built over decades. You can be competitive and fierce and still maintain your self respect. The example the players set are not only important things, but enduring things.
Lute pointed to the scoreboard at ASSU after he got taunted so your argument unfortunately doesn't hold water, especially if you are saying he set the standard. Lute was also very smarmy at times to the media & Pac 12 so let's not go think that Arizona basketball is somehow holier than thou.

It's also the first time I can remember seeing them taunt the other team's fans after 30+ games so I feel you are making sweeping assumptions. Yes they do Big Ball dances, stare down after dunks, hug the refs, etc...so let's not make their swag sound like something that is disrespectful to their coach, team or program.
prh

Post by prh »

We're not chanting P-L-O or Where's Bobbi. We're exhibiting attitudes that most commonly overlap with winning at the highest levels.

Plus, I'm sure the question phrasing and context is designed to get as good a soundbite as possible. It is the media after all
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Seriously, when did we become Carolina fans with the Carolina way code of conduct?

Sheesh.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Holy cow we are some curmudgeonly fucks.

Let the kids play. Let the kids celebrate. If some uptight assholes get bent out of shape because someone dared wave goodbye to them, that’s their problem.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Uh, negative ghostrider. I'm not the only one ringing the bell on this, I'm all for heat of the game stuff but some of the stuff I'm talking about is Busch League. And Lute pointing at the scoreboard in response to ASU taunting is nowhere near what I'm talking about. I didn't complain when CSM called the Kadeem timeout or told the reporter to go back to Phoenix, because there's times when you need send a message.

We have no history with Houston to justify that kind of response. And the whole back and forth thing with Kriisa has been going on for a while on the social media platforms. It's not good, and the overall feel and tone is just not what we do. I like to win, and win BIG, but there is a way to do it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RawleArenas wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:01 pm Uh, negative ghostrider. I'm not the only one ringing the bell on this, I'm all for heat of the game stuff but some of the stuff I'm talking about is Busch League. And Lute pointing at the scoreboard in response to ASU taunting is nowhere near what I'm talking about. I didn't complain when CSM called the Kadeem timeout or told the reporter to go back to Phoenix, because there's times when you need send a message.

We have no history with Houston to justify that kind of response. And the whole back and forth thing with Kriisa has been going on for a while on the social media platforms. It's not good, and the overall feel and tone is just not what we do. I like to win, and win BIG, but there is a way to do it.
I’m sorry you won’t enjoy seeing us going to the Elite Eight. I guess I’ll just celebrate for the both of us.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I wear Arizona gear and taunt opposing fans in arenas and bars. As they do to me.

Am I alone on this?

I literally lived in Champaign, Illinois for 13 years.

Prior to TCU, I saw a kind of joy of taking it and dishing it out.

I didn't realize it hurts our university or the program. Or anyone else's. But I do clearly see the bad name those TCU fans have made for their community. They should be really, really embarrassed.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

RawleArenas wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:01 pm Uh, negative ghostrider. I'm not the only one ringing the bell on this, I'm all for heat of the game stuff but some of the stuff I'm talking about is Busch League. And Lute pointing at the scoreboard in response to ASU taunting is nowhere near what I'm talking about. I didn't complain when CSM called the Kadeem timeout or told the reporter to go back to Phoenix, because there's times when you need send a message.

Watch the clip from Kerr when asked the question in the press conference and NOT the twitter soundbite. He said if they win they would let the Houston fans know they won, AND if they lost they would shake their hands. If you think that's bush league, well I can't help you there.

Chi - got a new image for you:

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I once bought a single ticket and couldn't sit with Chicat at an Arizona/Illinois game at the United Center in Chicago. I was completely alone wearing a Hassan Adams jersey talking shit to all the orange people around me.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Casey Jacobson picks Arizona. So we have that going for us which is nice.
ekat

Post by ekat »

RawleArenas wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:38 pm I totally disagree.

It kind of is taken out of context. This reporter was trying to get him to say something, he deflected, then comes this exchange:

I'll rephrase my question from earlier. Kerr and Dalen, in particular, you guys have a lot of fun out there even facing opposing fans. I wonder if you kind of in a way look forward to this if Houston draws a lot of fans from nearby? What kind of atmosphere do you expect?

(Laughter)

THE MODERATOR: We'll let Kerr answer that one.

DALEN TERRY: Go ahead.

KERR KRIISA: I mean, we're just trying to win the game. Like it just comes with it, I don't know. It's not that I'm looking forward to wave to Houston fans or stuff like this. We're just trying to win the game. If we do win the game, then we're going to let them know that we won the game. But if we lose, then we're going to shake their hand and say good game and try to be here back next year.

DALEN TERRY: I mean, kind of what Kerr said. When we win the game, it's not nothing personal with the other team's crowd. I mean, we a team. We're just goofy. We're all young and goofy. We just like to have fun. We just want to win the game for real.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:11 pm

I’m sorry you won’t enjoy seeing us going to the Elite Eight. I guess I’ll just celebrate for the both of us.
Chicat, love you man. It was not directed at you. And to my point earlier, I wasn't sure if the twitter thing was out of context. But it appears it was. You're a sharp dude as is EastCoastCat, and what I'm talking about is not earth shattering, we need to rein it in a little bit. These guys (our players) are too good; if you have a six pack you don't walk around pulling your shirt up (aka taunting TCU fans).
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

I love all the shit talk coming from our players and I have no issue with other teams talking shit if they win. Let them have fun out there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RawleArenas wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:40 pm

Chicat, love you man. It was not directed at you. And to my point earlier, I wasn't sure if the twitter thing was out of context. But it appears it was. You're a sharp dude as is EastCoastCat, and what I'm talking about is not earth shattering, we need to rein it in a little bit. These guys (our players) are too good; if you have a six pack you don't walk around pulling your shirt up (aka taunting TCU fans).
I do understand where you are coming from, but I would say to anyone who has an issue with their postgame celebrations that…

A) the best way to stop our team from dancing, posing, yelling into microphones, and waving bye bye to the crowd is to beat us

B) these are very young guys, not just age-wise but also as far as experience (don’t forget, all of this was taken from them last year)

and C) the coach is the true face of a college team. Some of these kids might wear an Arizona uniform for 4-5 years but for many others it will only be a year or two. When people think of the “classy” Arizona teams of the long ago past they think of Lute or CSM. They don’t think about Pastner mugging for the camera, Terry jumping on the scorer’s table, DWill’s three-point salutes, or Eugene Edgerson elbowing that BYU player into next week. Players come & go, but the coach sets the tone.

So if some butthurt TCU fans are mad that they lost and want to call us classless (and make up sexual assault allegations), that’s truly on them. Our coach consoled their favorite player and was complementary of their team as a whole. They are ignoring that because they’re assholes. We don’t have to ignore that too.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Say no Tommy. Just say no

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is that Greg Byrne? What is he doing there?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

He's in the NCAA committee and was assigned to San Antonio

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

This is a team picked to tie for 4th in the pac with Tinkle.

If they keep winning, I hope they continue to be more and more “offensive” to the other fan bases.

Fuck ‘em.

Bear Down.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:10 pm Is that Greg Byrne? What is he doing there?
Probably trying to find the last train out of dodge before the shit hits the fan, again.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Olsondogg wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:16 pm
Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:10 pm Is that Greg Byrne? What is he doing there?
Probably trying to find the last train out of dodge before the shit hits the fan, again.
🤣🤣🤣
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Cracking 1!

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:55 pm
RawleArenas wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:40 pm

I do understand where you are coming from, but I would say to anyone who has an issue with their postgame celebrations that…

A) the best way to stop our team from dancing, posing, yelling into microphones, and waving bye bye to the crowd is to beat us

B) these are very young guys, not just age-wise but also as far as experience (don’t forget, all of this was taken from them last year)

and C) the coach is the true face of a college team. Some of these kids might wear an Arizona uniform for 4-5 years but for many others it will only be a year or two. When people think of the “classy” Arizona teams of the long ago past they think of Lute or CSM. They don’t think about Pastner mugging for the camera, Terry jumping on the scorer’s table, DWill’s three-point salutes, or Eugene Edgerson elbowing that BYU player into next week. Players come & go, but the coach sets the tone.

So if some butthurt TCU fans are mad that they lost and want to call us classless (and make up sexual assault allegations), that’s truly on them. Our coach consoled their favorite player and was complementary of their team as a whole. They are ignoring that because they’re assholes. We don’t have to ignore that too.
Once again, well f-ing put.

Oh, and please don't put me on the same level as Chi when it comes to being sharp. I'm as dull as dishwater...
prh

Post by prh »

Wait a second. Did someone just say we have no history with Houston?

Chase Budinger begs to differ
prh

Post by prh »

This team has an us against the world attitude and it's propelling them all the way forward. Nobody wants to see us win and they are fully aware of that. Remember, their own administration didn't want to see them win! Their own administration stole a postseason from them, I bet they are fucking fired up and want to shove some revenge up everyone's ass
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

azgreg wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:25 pm Cracking 1!

Now those are what I'd like to lay a single finger nail on! :lol:
Mike Luke's burner account.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

27 hours....
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

More excitement than nerves right now. Hating though all this extra stuff being focused on with Benn and Kerr

Hoping they are laser focused and come out ready to rip! If Houston sends 5 to the glass we should have some breakouts
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I hope they are laser focused as well, but I also hope that if they are off because of whatever is going on outside of basketball, they remember that Ballo can be a double double, that Dalen can go for 18, 10, 8, & 3, that Pelle was a 40+% from 3 last year, that Zu is going for 24 tomorrow, and that CLo just put up 28. That's like 70 points right there without Benn, Kerr, and Justin.

There's a lot of scoring they have to stop to beat us.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

and i will celebrate for all of us - and show some class while doing it
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

It’s so damn crusty in here.

Let’s win the whole fucking thing and wave bye bye to any-and-everyone who tries to stop us.

Nobody gave our team a chance to begin the year. They’ve come this far. Let’s go!!

BTFD baby!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:18 pm It’s so damn crusty in here.

Let’s win the whole fucking thing and wave bye bye to any-and-everyone who tries to stop us.

Nobody gave our team a chance to begin the year. They’ve come this far. Let’s go!!

BTFD baby!
me - im crusty AF!!!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

2. South: (1) Arizona vs. (5) Houston
Thursday, 9:59 p.m. | TBS, March Madness Live

Mayhem. That should be the expectation for this one as Houston and its tough, physical brand are pitted against Arizona's high-flying attack. There's a certain desperation that both these teams play with, and that should make it a captivating game. Even if someone jumps ahead by double digits, rest assured there will be a comeback. These are two chaos teams, and if the ending is anything like Sunday night's ending between Arizona and TCU, it'll be worth staying up late to see even if you have to be at work in the morning.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... emifinals/
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:49 pm

and i will celebrate for all of us - and show some class while doing it
Not me homie. Everyone gets to see my Big Balls dance.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

update - landing in austin in 35mins...i will text a few live shots to some of my dudes on here and they can repost.

also, if are we friends on Insta (Al please update that from my childish antics please thank you) i will post the entire weekend and games on my story.

god bless Arizona Basketball
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

We are the show right now. If Arizona goes on to win it all it will be one of the most memorable NCAA tournaments of all time.

People love to watch us play, but there is so much hate too. It's beautiful. They hate us for FBI investigation. They hate us for things Pitino did that ESPN slandered on to Miller. They hate us for beating their favorite coach in this last year at their school in 1997. The players weren't even born yet and the fan bases and media hate them for being Wildcats.

Our games are fun and exciting. Our players are passionate and interesting. They're a group of underrated players from all over the world who CSM got and Lloyd kept/brought to build a new tower in the middle of a ground zero disaster. ESPN wanted to knock us down and keep us out, but these guys game to the rubble and are building a new fuckin tower.

Hell yeah they're going to be fired up and passionate. That's what it takes to do this. That's what it takes to come here during this time frame. These guys are building something the same way that group with MoMo Jones did and the same way Kerr and Elliot did. This is foundational and that takes a kind of commitment and passion and fire and energy and internal confidence to do.

On top of that, we have the hardest path in the tournament. Every game will be absolutely epic instant classics. This run will be legendary if they pull it off. We are the show. This tournament is ours and Saint Peters right now. TCU, Houston, Nova all 2 seeds. Kansas, Duke/Gonzaga or rematch with UNC or UCLA. The path for us as fans is so potentially epic.

Imagine pulling this off. Come off of a bunch of fuckery by ESPN and the administration and then beat the best teams in the field. Not just luck into a final four, but take out the best on the way. That's the only way we've done it and now is a good time to do it again.

To do that you need guys like this group. I fucking love them. This is Arizona Basketball Baby.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

😂
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Houston 18%? Give me a fucking break.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion