Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Fishclamps

Re: South Region Discussion

Post by Fishclamps »

I mean, BPI is notoriously bad
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

According to everything I’m hearing, Kerr’s antics and awful play have caused Arizona to lose to so many teams this year and it will cost Arizona again tomorrow.

Apparently he turns the ball over a ton, can’t shoot, and is the reason Arizona will lose to the eventual champions, the Houston Cougars.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

That’s a weird one. Must be why no one ever cites BPI.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

97cats wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:06 pm update - landing in austin in 35mins...i will text a few live shots to some of my dudes on here and they can repost.

also, if are we friends on Insta (Al please update that from my childish antics please thank you) i will post the entire weekend and games on my story.

god bless Arizona Basketball
Awesome Jon - can't wait to see your updates (although still sad we won't be hooking up in Chicago). Root them home!

Oh and remember, no phantom boob touching please.
:P
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

How did Houston become the greatest college basketball team… in the last 2 weeks?

A few days ago I just wanted to beat them… now I really want to kick their ass
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:59 pm How did Houston become the greatest college basketball team… in the last 2 weeks?

A few days ago I was hoot to beat them… now I really want to kick their ass
Maybe people think they are still Phi Slamma Jamma? I don't know, it confuses me too how a 5 seed missing two of their best players gets this much love.

Hakeem the Dream and Clyde the Glide ain't walking through that door.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I prefer this to Selection Sunday where most people were picking us to win.

Our guys love the underdog/villain role and I think we'll see two dominating performances this week.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:07 pm
Alieberman wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:59 pm How did Houston become the greatest college basketball team… in the last 2 weeks?

Maybe people think they are still Phi Slamma Jamma? I don't know, it confuses me too how a 5 seed missing two of their best players gets this much love.

I’d like our chances if those two started for Houston tomorrow
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:07 pm

Phi Slamma Jamma is playing in the late game tomorrow in San Antonio. They just don't have Houston on the front of their Jerseys.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

From a dude over at the Coug board:
cougarrick
My first impression of watching the Arizona Wildcats is they are slow. Shead and Moore are going to eat their lunch. :D
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

azgreg wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 7:47 am From a dude over at the Coug board:
cougarrick
My first impression of watching the Arizona Wildcats is they are slow. Shead and Moore are going to eat their lunch. :D
So I'm guessing a blind man was the person that posted this.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

LMAO
-JB
phxcat23

Post by phxcat23 »

I think a turning point for us in that TCU game was when we started to press. That’s when we went on that 9 point run. I think mixing that in can make a huge difference especially earlier in the game. If we can get them to speed their game up and cause some chaos, I like our chances
cerec_cat

Post by cerec_cat »

BTFD Game Day!!! We need the game thread up
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

cerec_cat wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:13 am BTFD Game Day!!! We need the game thread up
Game thread is up

BTFD
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

9:11 to tip.

Bile...rising.
Left eye...twitching
Work...ignored

Is this supposed to be fun? Am I doing this wrong? Am I supposed to have fun watching us play tournament games? Have a snack, some sips of a beverage, smile...invite friends over and high five occasionally, smile some more, get sidetracked with conversations, looking back at the game here and there to keep up. Say stuff like "well, we fought hard. We'll get them next time" if we lose, while patting friends backs and hugging their SO's goodbye, see you soon...let's grab lunch?

Fuck that...I have friends who won't even email or text me, much less call me or come to my house on big time game day, because they've been in that storm before. I only attend events for game viewing after we have reached a Final Four. Then, I can have some fun, relax, enjoy (a little bit). Up to then, I need a mouthguard, a triple digit proof alcohol, a helmet, and something to throw that won't break shit. I will go from calm to sullen to screaming fool. I hardly sit...the floor between the couch and TV is my coaching box. I will curse. I will be irrational. I will bore anyone near me with breakdowns of plays/sets/mistakes. I have my 3 friend gameday text group, and commercial breaks turn into a symphony of phone buzzing message notifications.

Bring this shit on. My Cardiologist wants to do a stress test. Bring those monitors and machines to my house, Doc...let's murder two birds with one rock. Get this game started, because I need to get this game done so I know. There is no joy in the process...this isn't about being happy. Happy? Happy (said in my best Iverson "practice" voice)?!? This is to be endured.

God, it feels good to be back to this gutwrenching shit...
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

"Pressure is a privilege"

Signed,
The Aw Shucks Genius Assassin
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

EVCat wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:06 am 9:11 to tip.

Bile...rising.
Left eye...twitching
Work...ignored

Is this supposed to be fun? Am I doing this wrong? Am I supposed to have fun watching us play tournament games? Have a snack, some sips of a beverage, smile...invite friends over and high five occasionally, smile some more, get sidetracked with conversations, looking back at the game here and there to keep up. Say stuff like "well, we fought hard. We'll get them next time" if we lose, while patting friends backs and hugging their SO's goodbye, see you soon...let's grab lunch?

Fuck that...I have friends who won't even email or text me, much less call me or come to my house on big time game day, because they've been in that storm before. I only attend events for game viewing after we have reached a Final Four. Then, I can have some fun, relax, enjoy (a little bit). Up to then, I need a mouthguard, a triple digit proof alcohol, a helmet, and something to throw that won't break shit. I will go from calm to sullen to screaming fool. I hardly sit...the floor between the couch and TV is my coaching box. I will curse. I will be irrational. I will bore anyone near me with breakdowns of plays/sets/mistakes. I have my 3 friend gameday text group, and commercial breaks turn into a symphony of phone buzzing message notifications.

Bring this shit on. My Cardiologist wants to do a stress test. Bring those monitors and machines to my house, Doc...let's murder two birds with one rock. Get this game started, because I need to get this game done so I know. There is no joy in the process...this isn't about being happy. Happy? Happy (said in my best Iverson "practice" voice)?!? This is to be endured.

If my hands aren't shaking too much during the game maybe I'll haul out the blood pressure cuff and post my HR/BP just for shits and giggles.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Bile...rising.
Left eye...twitching
Work...ignored

7:59 to tip

Thank you for this. Good to know I am not alone. This is me to a T.

I would add the kids don’t come around and they know not to bother me. They will call after a win but check in with Mom after a loss before talking to me.

No matter how much I try to minimize the importance of AZ sports in my life, I just keep relapsing. Nothing is a drug though like a run to the FF. Win this tonight and that elite 8 game becomes like being waterboarded for 2 straight hours. Lose and spring becomes the darkest winter for another month. Win and it’s like having the greatest sex every hour until we play in the FF.

As Murtaugh would say, “I’m getting to old for this $hit”
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

phxcat23 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:00 am I think a turning point for us in that TCU game was when we started to press. That’s when we went on that 9 point run. I think mixing that in can make a huge difference especially earlier in the game. If we can get them to speed their game up and cause some chaos, I like our chances
I think part of the reason why the press works for us later in the game is the other side's tired legs and tired brains - I'd rather save it for later in the count.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

i thought I had gained perspective during our exile and COVID.

Nope.

I am a child
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

LOL...

man enjoy the ride you never know when it ends and it has been a great season. Let's keep it going!!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Bob Kemp on KDUS 1060 AM in Phoenix just picked Houston so it will be Arizona by double digits.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Majority of talking head picks on websites and podcasts/radio that I’ve seen/heard are taking Houston. Probably a good sign.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

pokinmik wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:44 am Majority of talking head picks on websites and podcasts/radio that I’ve seen/heard are taking Houston. Probably a good sign.
Haters gonna hate.

Last edited by UAEebs86 on Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
-JB
ekat

Post by ekat »

Jason Terry told KOLD News he slept in his old school blue shorts and socks, so we have that going for us.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

azgreg wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:38 am Bob Kemp on KDUS 1060 AM in Phoenix just picked Houston so it will be Arizona by double digits.
I know that he'll be wearing some red and blue tonight. Maybe this is a reverse psychology fake out karma juju pick from Bob.

Whatever it takes.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

At some point, the national media has to give this staff some game planning credit. Just listened to a CBS guy say he thinks the difference will be that Sampson has had a week to prepare for the cats and they will win because of that

That $hit cuts both ways. Fois brings NBA defensive knowledge and we know All the assistants helped us against CU n the tourney with a great game plan
Last edited by azcat49 on Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EVCat wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:12 am i thought I had gained perspective during our exile and COVID.

Nope.

I am a child
I just want new memories of us climbing ladders and cutting down nets. It's been way, way too long.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:53 am
This is why Houston focusing on long offensive rebounds comes at a price. At the expense of position in transition defense, what do they get in return for those extra possessions? The ball outside against Arizona's set defense. Not quite the same second chance opportunity as rebounds under the basket.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Can some of the metrics/seeding/gambling nerds please explain how a #5 seed (missing 2 leading scorers) has a pick 'em game with a #1 seed?

Asking for a friend.
-JB
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Who else saw the end of the UNC game and had the thought UA could use a(nother) player who finishes the game like Akinjo right about now?

Crazy almost comeback. So close to making history!
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:33 pm Can some of the metrics/seeding/gambling nerds please explain how a #5 seed (missing 2 leading scorers) has a pick 'em game with a #1 seed?

Asking for a friend.
Probably more of a seeding mistake then a line error. The metrics point to Houston being under seeded and the line backs that up.

Vegas uses a lot of those analytics to set a line along with how heavily bet a team might be and try’s to tilt it to a 50/50 scenario if it can

Not sure this helps or not but that’s what so see
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Houston simply didn't have a profile to allow for a much higher seeding. We suspect they are way better, but they haven't played a lot of good teams lately, and Memphis beat them twice in conference, since they lost players. The metrics are what they are, but it's hard to measure what they will do against elite talent. Vegas/line setters are betting they are capable, based on the limited information, and riding some bettor sentiment, which drives action to both sides if you set a good line and aren't gambling as a book yourselves. But the NCAA committee really couldn't seed them much higher than MAYBE a 4 with their profile.

Houston was 3-4 against Quadrant 1 NET rank teams, losing to Wisconsin, Alabama, SMU, and Memphis. The 2nd Memphis loss was a quad 2 loss (their only quad 2 loss) because it was on the road. So, one of the issues the NCAA had in seeding them was they pretty much swung and missed on every chance to beat a power team...until Illinois last week, which is their 3rd quad 1 win. Conference tourney wins at a neutral site vs UAB and Memphis were their only other two Quad 1 wins...so all 3 Quad 1 wins have been in the last 2 weeks.

Their best wins have been Illinois, Memphis, UAB (if you make me say so, which the NET rankings require), Oregon, Oklahoma St (both before losing two top scorers), and Wichita St.

Houston has handled business against lesser teams. 10-1 vs Q2, perfect vs Q3 and 4. But they played 10 Quad 3 and 8 Quad 4 teams. Half of their schedule was against mediocre to really bad teams.

Another way of looking at it...They've played 6 games against teams in the top 40 of NET rankings...and they are 2-4. And one of those wins was versus a team that had beaten them twice before (Memphis), the other being Illinois. And the Illinois game couldn't be used in seeding.

I think the line is wrong, but I don't bet our games. I'd hammer Arizona in a pick em, essentially, if it were not my school, though.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Vegas lost a lot of money when UA didn't cover the spread against TCU...tonight's game is Vegas trying to win back some of that $...they WANT people to pick Houston...they do not recover the point spread loss if people pick UofA or if they think the spread won't be covered again, so naturally by all metrics they will have it featured as a really tight and close game.

It.Wil.Not.Be.Close.

Trust me the places where Houston is vulnerable by their OWN coaches admission is in fatigue and opponents defensive length and a run out...

Everyone has said ALL YEAR LONG "slow down Arizona keep it to a half court game, they struggle in half court" which ur record DOES NOT REFLECT...

We've won a TON of slowed down half court games already...Houston does not have ANY tricks that Az has not seen multiple times already and already defeated.

TCU game was a bit of a fluke...Krissa was maybe 75%, only one day to prep (and they let Jack Murphy do TCU which was not the best)...team is rested, Krissa will be better...entire team will be better...Houston and analyst are looking at TCU like it was a sign of things to come...it was not.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

More fun with NET rankings to understand their seeding:

Houston was 1-4 against teams in the NET top 35 at season's end. Their win over Illinois (15) makes them 2-4.

Houston was 3-5 against their top 8 NET opponents (ranked 15-45, 1 win over a top 30 NET).

Houston was 28-0 against teams NET ranked 46-300

Before the NCAA tournament, Houston's best win was NET #33 Memphis, who they lost to twice.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

UAEebs86 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:33 pm Can some of the metrics/seeding/gambling nerds please explain how a #5 seed (missing 2 leading scorers) has a pick 'em game with a #1 seed?

Asking for a friend.
They've been missing those players for most of the season and they're still out here kicking most team's asses and barely losing when they rarely do lose. Top 10 defensive efficiency, top 10 offensive efficiency - they block a ton of shots, get a lot of steals, rebound a ton of offensive boards, control the tempo, and share the ball well.

Their eight man rotation is:

* soph PG
* senior SG
* 5th yr sr SF
* 5th yr sr PF
* 5th yr sr C
* senior big man
* soph big man
* fresh wing

Direct contrast to our young, turnover prone, non-offensive rebounding, fast paced team.

Now: we're bigger across the board, we've got far better depth, and we're a more dangerous offensive team in terms of pace, efficiency, and our depth of ball handlers and shooters. And we defend the 2pt shot very well while they are not at all a good three point shooting team.

It's a wild match-up.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

The key to the game is to not turn the ball over, continue to drive and pass inside, get their big in foul trouble, take care to prevent offensive rebounds, watch out for steals, get to the line and make FTs.

They are more prone to foul than we are, and that's against lesser teams. Their center fouled out 3 times this year. Their guards get a lot of steals. I don't think they'll get called for reach-ins so it could be like the first round game where we missed a lot of gimmies because we had lots of hands on arms. But I think if we get to the bigs a lot early it will force fouls and that will take away rebounds for them, and that will lead to run-outs for us. Then they'll pick up cheap fouls trying to stop the transition. Then they'll drop back and sag and give up the offensive rebounds, which will take away a major component of their game and also allow us to increase the tempo.

That's the plan anyway.

Of course for them, they want to clog the paint, reach and grab and push and shove and make Kerr take and miss 30 3 pointers and then on their side take 2-3 shot-clocks a possession, which limits ours even more.

Usually I'm really worried about a game like this, but usually everybody is blowing sunshine up our ass and a team we overlooked comes and knocks us back to earth. This time everyone and their laptop is picking Houston. Arizona is getting called out and criticized for TCU. If Houston is a virtual rematch with TCU, then okay. We saw the team rise to handle Colorado and UCLA in similar rematches.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm favoring the position of maintaining focus on defensive rebounding, but not increasing focus on defensive rebounding. I suspect we'll pick that poison, and let them pick ours.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

azcat49 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:00 am

Bile...rising.
Left eye...twitching
Work...ignored

7:59 to tip

Thank you for this. Good to know I am not alone. This is me to a T.

I would add the kids don’t come around and they know not to bother me. They will call after a win but check in with Mom after a loss before talking to me.

No matter how much I try to minimize the importance of AZ sports in my life, I just keep relapsing. Nothing is a drug though like a run to the FF. Win this tonight and that elite 8 game becomes like being waterboarded for 2 straight hours. Lose and spring becomes the darkest winter for another month. Win and it’s like having the greatest sex every hour until we play in the FF.

As Murtaugh would say, “I’m getting to old for this $hit”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaMno8d0Tzw

I love that scene.
Let the good times roll!
btfd!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Make of this what you will, but this time of year, an old bit of conventional wisdom always emerges: the teams with the most future NBA players tend to do well in this tournament. How many future NBA players does Houston have? We have at least three (BM, CK, DT) and may have as many as five (AT, OB).
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Kenny Snith really likes us tonight. Don’t know if that’s good or bad LOL
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:29 pm Make of this what you will, but this time of year, an old bit of conventional wisdom always emerges: the teams with the most future NBA players tend to do well in this tournament. How many future NBA players does Houston have? We have at least three (BM, CK, DT) and may have as many as five (AT, OB).
"“It’s not the X’s and the O’s, but the Jimmys and the Joes ..."

- Confucius
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

fuck. i forgot to get my bets on yesterday and I cant get to the TAB today. Az will cover easily, butthe Zags probably won't. I wanted a piece of that.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Lets also keep in mind that this is a March Madness "Weekday" game...this is the game where refs make adjustments from the weekEND...

So that "no call" at half court, or no over and back all those "hack-a-shooter" or bumps on the head that Matherin didn't get...those will get calls tonite...

That favors the Cats not the "Old ladys Tryna Get Laid" AKA Cougars...

Expect the narrative after our win to be "The Refs favored Arizona", instead of the fact that Houston is notorious at fouling...any drill that makes you dive on the floor and wrestle for the ball is not a drill that helps you NOT foul...it is the opposite.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Bile...rising.
Left eye...twitching
Work...ignored

This is gold I tell you. GOLD!!

Describes me exactly lately.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion