South Region Discussion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RondaeShimmy

South Region Discussion

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Don't know why people are scared of Illinois. 4 or so players on Arizona are way better than the first meeting, including Ballo for Kofi matchup. They made 16 3s and lost at home.

Arizona as a whole are a better team than when they first met, while Illinois has stayed the same if not gotten worse with Curbelo coming back.

Playing Houston in San Antonio concerns me the most.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
97cats

Re: South Region Discussion

Post by 97cats »

real possibility that the 4/5 in this region loses their first game
CatFan1399

Post by CatFan1399 »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:03 am Don't know why people are scared of Illinois. 4 or so players on Arizona are way better than the first meeting, including Ballo for Kofi matchup. They made 16 3s and lost at home.

Arizona as a whole are a better team than when they first met, while Illinois has stayed the same if not gotten worse with Curbelo coming back.

Agree about Arizona being better with the development of Ballo and Pelle, but Kerr’s status still lingers. We’ve had so many teams go off from 3-pt range lately that it worries me. So many upsets happen when teams have unreal shooting nights in the tourney. Plus, Kofi has been more dominating than when we first played Illinois. I’d be very happy if someone takes them out prior to week 2.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If you are not scared of previous ghosts- you aren't a real fan
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

CatFan1399 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:21 am
RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:03 am Don't know why people are scared of Illinois. 4 or so players on Arizona are way better than the first meeting, including Ballo for Kofi matchup. They made 16 3s and lost at home.

Agree about Arizona being better with the development of Ballo and Pelle, but Kerr’s status still lingers. We’ve had so many teams go off from 3-pt range lately that it worries me. So many upsets happen when teams have unreal shooting nights in the tourney. Plus, Kofi has been more dominating than when we first played Illinois. I’d be very happy if someone takes them out prior to week 2.
Stanford and Colorado (pac 12 tournament record) just had unreal shooting nights individually and collectively on a back to back and Arizona won both of them

Illinois made 16 3s at home vs us and lost!!
CatFan1399

Post by CatFan1399 »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:24 am If you are not scared of previous ghosts- you aren't a real fan
I am a very real fan. I fear all the ghosts: Illinois, Wisconsin, officials when playing Duke…. 🤣🤣🤣
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

I have to agree with Rondae on this one. Illinois is the least of my concerns in the tournament. When you think about these matchups you have to ask yourself the question: are they better than UCLA? I think Cronin's a better coach than Underwood and UCLA's roster from top to bottom is better than last years. Yet, we still beat them without our starting PG and handled them pretty well in McKale. Andre Curbelo is too immature of a pg to trust in the tourney. At the end of the day, our size, talent and maturity will likely overwhelm them. But hey, like Calipari said, what's the use of worrying about a team that might lose before you get a chance to play them?

But above everything, I hope Lloyd has all the breaks that Lute and CSM didn't have. We've had a lot of bad luck in the tourney, I hope that this year it turns around in our favor.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:28 am

Stanford and Colorado (pac 12 tournament record) just had unreal shooting nights individually and collectively on a back to back and Arizona won both of them

Illinois made 16 3s at home vs us and lost!!
Illinois pissed down their legs against Indiana on Friday, I think they went through a stretch in the second half where they didn't make a field goal for almost six minutes and shot 35.7% for the game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I have such confidence watching this team. We beat teams that shot 64% in a half. Teams that made 16 three balls. Teams that run out to double digit leads in the second half.

I know CU and UCLA are better than the two teams we will play this week and we win without Krissa. These teams also hasn’t played us before like our conference teams have (which is an advantage)

Good luck South region with our cats, you are going to need it!
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Tennessee is the second best team in our region, and it isn't close. Look at who they've beaten this year.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:57 am Tennessee is the second best team in our region, and it isn't close. Look at who they've beaten this year.
Duke should have been a 3 instead of Tennessee.

Last edited by UAEebs86 on Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

These are the only teams I'm worried about in the South Region:

Bryant
Wright State
Colorado State
Michigan
Tennessee
Longwood
Ohio State
Loyola Chicago
Villanova
Delaware
Illinois
Chattanooga
Houston
UAB
Seton Hall
TCU
CatFan1399

Post by CatFan1399 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:57 am Tennessee is the second best team in our region, and it isn't close. Look at who they've beaten this year.
Tennessee is legit, but I’d like to face them on a neutral court.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

CatFan1399 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:02 am
Tennessee is legit, but I’d like to face them on a neutral court.
I think one of those pundits on that 68 show even brought up our TN game and how the officiating was a joke.

I still think all things being equal we beat them.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Almost all at home. Not very good team away from home, sec team's as a whole aren't very good away from home which is why Tennessee won their tournament.

They're a very different team when they're not playing at home.

Lost by 18 to Villanova on a neutral floor early. Lost to Kentucky at Kentucky by 28

We beat them on a neutral floor 8/10
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I am worried about absolutely 0 of the B1G teams, their entire conference took a huge shit the past month. Very funny that the committee put 9 of their teams in so that they could even have the smallest chance of making it anywhere
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the best path AZ coulda ever hoped for and that scares the living shit out of me cause it never happens...but yet it happened, just as its happened all year. everything has broken perfectly for Lloyd and this draw is no different.

the committee is telling the entire field we want Arizona vs Gonzaga/Duke in the National Championship
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:46 am the best path AZ coulda ever hoped for and that scares the living shit out of me cause it never happens...but yet it happened, just as its happened all year. everything has broken perfectly for Lloyd and this draw is no different.

the committee is telling the entire field we want Arizona vs Gonzaga/Duke in the National Championship
This comment gives me a...

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:46 am
This would be one of the least likely, most epic championship games of all time.

A first-year coach vs. his boss of 20 years?

Can't think of anything close to this ever happening.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:58 am
This would be one of the least likely, most epic championship games of all time.

Maybe since no team ever beating 3 #1's in route to a Natty?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:02 am

Maybe since no team ever beating 3 #1's in route to a Natty?
Totally, but the Lloyd/Few storyline is what I'm getting at.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:56 am
97cats wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:46 am the best path AZ coulda ever hoped for and that scares the living shit out of me cause it never happens...but yet it happened, just as its happened all year. everything has broken perfectly for Lloyd and this draw is no different.

This comment gives me a...

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:59 am These are the only teams I'm worried about in the South Region:

Bryant
Wright State
Colorado State
Michigan
Tennessee
Longwood
Ohio State
Loyola Chicago
Villanova
Delaware
Illinois
Chattanooga
Houston
UAB
Seton Hall
TCU
Good post.

When I look at the South, I see teams slotted about where they should be. Tenn is #7 on KenPom, with #3 D and #36 O. Nova is #8 O and #28 D. Illinois is #23 O and #30 D.

So, maybe you can make an argument for flipping UT and Nova, but Arizona is the best team, and then the teams below either are a little unbalanced or just not at that top level...which is all appropriate for their seed.

It's as good as you can ask for. No wildly underseeded teams and reasonable matchups.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

These numbers are before the tournament so not exact.

I believe you have to be top 20 in both ENTERING (not final data) the tournament. Only Gonzaga, Arizona, Baylor and Houston meet the criteria of top 20 in both.

ZagCatFan

Post by ZagCatFan »

Been pulling for this all season and the stars are aligning.

Just gotta take care of business.

#ALLWESTCOASTFINALFOUR
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think Tommy would hate an Arizona - Gonzaga final.

For the obvious reasons of his love / respect for Few and Gonzaga... but mostly because the media would make this all about the coaches and not the players and the attention put on himself instead of his team would make him want to vomit.

But as a fan of both programs... I would love it.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Who gives a shit? It's not like a 3 seed losing in the second round to a 6 is that wild a prediction.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:26 pm Who gives a shit? It's not like a 3 seed losing in the second round to a 6 is that wild a prediction.
It's true, but Tennessee is perceived as a stronger-than-usual 3 seed. Their tourney resume warranted a 2 seed.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

The best part of filling out a bracket is knowing everybody is wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:18 pm I think Tommy would hate an Arizona - Gonzaga final.

For the obvious reasons of his love / respect for Few and Gonzaga... but mostly because the media would make this all about the coaches and not the players and the attention put on himself instead of his team would make him want to vomit.

Or he could love it. The attention paid to the coaches takes some of the pressure off the kids, and no matter the result people he knows and loves will have won a National Championship.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:58 am These numbers are before the tournament so not exact.

I believe you have to be top 20 in both ENTERING (not final data) the tournament. Only Gonzaga, Arizona, Baylor and Houston meet the criteria of top 20 in both.

Yeah, I mean, that's why I don't see any real reason to complain...except maybe for Houston. Houston's tough because this is such a weak AAC year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:26 pm Who gives a shit? It's not like a 3 seed losing in the second round to a 6 is that wild a prediction.
Yeah, and I mean, he's correct that CSU has a better offense than UT. UT has a better D, but it's not like he picked a 15 seed to take them out.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:18 pm I think Tommy would hate an Arizona - Gonzaga final.

What's that old meme laughing at people who think they know (insert name)?

I think he'd like to see his old team go as far as they can. But I don't know him. I do strongly assume he'd like to see his new team go as far as it can.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

They money line has the Zags and the Cats as the top 2 favorites. If you use that as a barometer, UCLA was the most underseeded team as they should have been a 3 (at#10) and Tennessee was a 2 seed.

Kansas got a literal gift. Wisconsin is mid teens and Providence is way down there. Iowa was the highest. Really don’t get what the committee saw in putting that region together
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:51 pm They money line has the Zags and the Cats as the top 2 favorites. If you use that as a barometer, UCLA was the most underseeded team as they should have been a 3 (at#10) and Tennessee was a 2 seed.

Kansas got a literal gift. Wisconsin is mid teens and Providence is way down there. Iowa was the highest. Really don’t get what the committee saw in putting that region together
Because they did the brackets before the conference tournaments and they didn't matter at all.

(This is why I said we should've just sandbagged it and lost)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The irrelevance of the conference tourneys is emphasized again and again, every year. I felt like this year the bracketologists did a lot of reacting to the conference tourney games in a way that didn't seem helpful for predicting the committee's work.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Looks like Friday's game is scheduled for 7:27pm EST on truTV.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i might add, AZ receiving a good draw is great and all but can be a negative, AZ will be picked to win and will be the heavy favorite, so they must focus or it can end before it really starts.

where i see this bracket being different for AZ than in years past is the potential for many of the top seeds not to advance to prevent AZ from making the Final Four.

i would not be surprised if Illinois and Houston both lost in the first round and would not be shocked to see Tennessee and Villanova eliminated before the ELITE 8.

Tennessee is the most likely team to advance from the bottom half but its something to watch and worth noting.

TCU scares me more than any other team in the region - and as my son would say, "i aint even cappin"
97cats

Post by 97cats »

South Region winner

(1) Arizona: For a team as dominant as Arizona has been this season, the Wildcats have flown somewhat under the radar due to the fact that they play in the Pac-12, which reverted to mediocrity in 2021. Make no mistake, though. Arizona is an elite college basketball team with all the ingredients of a national title winner. With an excellent duo of rim protectors in Christian Koloko and Oumar Ballo, the Wildcats check the defense box. Offense is where they thrive, however. First-year coach Tommy Lloyd has seamlessly implemented the Gonzaga philosophy after a long run on the Zags' staff, and he's got a deep rotation of quality guards and wings capable of carrying it out. The group is led by a potential lottery pick in Bennedict Mathurin, and his high-end talent is a key part of the formula.

The Wildcats have already played two of their top competitors in the region, beating Illinois on the road. They lost at Tennessee, but the Volunteers went undefeated on their home floor and a neutral-court rematch would likely produce a different result. The No. 2 seed in this region, Villanova, would be unable to match up with Arizona on the interior, and it's hard to imagine any of the other candidates having the talent to hold this offense down for 40 minutes.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -to-watch/
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

TCU is interesting, Jamie Dixon was basically Lloyd at Pitt. He had an incredible first year with many people thinking he would be the next big thing. We can play a lot of different ways and the length we have will always present a problem for most teams. To be honest I don't know their team very well. However, we have eight starters so we're far from an easy out in the tourney.

It's like UCLA, they have more talent across the board than we do, but we have more quality depth (NBA caliber players), which was put on display in the tourney championship. Barring something unforeseen, TCU would have their hands full (if they make it).
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

To be concerned about a team, you have to think if they can matchup with our size, our size that can guard guards outside of the paint.

Arizona is elite in 2pt% offensively and defensively. That's how they're going to beat you. As we saw this conference tournament, it doesn't even matter if you hit record amount of 3s.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:47 pm To be concerned about a team, you have to think if they can matchup with our size, our size that can guard guards outside of the paint.

Arizona is elite in 2pt% offensively and defensively. That's how they're going to beat you. As we saw this conference tournament, it doesn't even matter if you hit record amount of 3s.
Yeah, after experiencing Stanford and Colorado, my fears about lesser teams shooting the lights out are more than little diffused.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:16 pm i might add, AZ receiving a good draw is great and all but can be a negative, AZ will be picked to win and will be the heavy favorite, so they must focus or it can end before it really starts.

where i see this bracket being different for AZ than in years past is the potential for many of the top seeds not to advance to prevent AZ from making the Final Four.

i would not be surprised if Illinois and Houston both lost in the first round and would not be shocked to see Tennessee and Villanova eliminated before the ELITE 8.

Tennessee is the most likely team to advance from the bottom half but its something to watch and worth noting.

TCU scares me more than any other team in the region - and as my son would say, "i aint even cappin"
We had almost comically bad luck with our region under Miller. In 2011, we played 4 seed, 1 seed, 3 seed. In 2013, we lost to a 2 seed. In 2014, we lost to a 2 seed as a 1. In 2015, we faced a 1 seed as a 2. In 2017, if we beat Xavier, we play a 1 seed to go to the Final Four.

The one time a region actually opened up was when Buffalo spanked us in the first round. Just about every other time, we just about literally got the toughest opponent we could when we went deep.

This year, much harder to predict. No team screams lights out in the South to me...other than us. Maybe we finally get a good draw.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Longhorned wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:53 pm

Yeah, after experiencing Stanford and Colorado, my fears about lesser teams shooting the lights out are more than little diffused.
TCU is defensive minded and has some size and certainly toughness. they are battle tested and like to grind it out and bully to a win not unlike Colorado but better and better coached.

they beat Texas Tech Kansas Oklahoma Iowa State Texas
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:47 pm To be concerned about a team, you have to think if they can matchup with our size, our size that can guard guards outside of the paint.

One of the good things about our team is we have a lot of ways to hurt you. Mathurin, Kerr and Larsson can shoot it. Tubelis and Koloko can produce inside. Mathurin and Tubelis can go off the dribble.

Defensively, Koloko and Ballo can protect the rim. Terry and Mathurin are problems on the wing. If Kerr heals his ankle, he's a solid pg defender.

We basically have to shoot poorly and/or commit unforced errors. That's how we've lost and struggled this year...which is entirely in our control. I like that part, controlling our destiny.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:53 pm We had almost comically bad luck with our region under Miller. In 2011, we played 4 seed, 1 seed, 3 seed. In 2013, we lost to a 2 seed. In 2014, we lost to a 2 seed as a 1. In 2015, we faced a 1 seed as a 2. In 2017, if we beat Xavier, we play a 1 seed to go to the Final Four.

The one time a region actually opened up was when Buffalo spanked us in the first round.
Just about every other time, we just about literally got the toughest opponent we could when we went deep.

This year, much harder to predict. No team screams lights out in the South to me...other than us. Maybe we finally get a good draw.
I'd argue that Xavier year that lower half of the bracket opened up for us for a matchup with the zags for Sean's first f4 with the #3 FSU getting upset.

I certainly remember everyone feeling very confident after Xavier got their upset and the matchup with the Zags was looming. The final four was in Glendale, perfect. #1 Villanova had also lost in the rd of 32 and that bracket (#2 Duke and #3 Baylor also lost in rd of 32) would've been the final four matchup (#7 seed south Carolina eventually).

Everything seemed like it was breaking Arizona's way and just had to get past Gonzaga and they'd be in the title game.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

As per 97 call to upsets. I see you Colorado St. Good team with a really good player who will showcase himself in the tourney
97cats

Post by 97cats »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:21 pm As per 97 call to upsets. I see you Colorado St. Good team with a really good player who will showcase himself in the tourney
and one of the main reasons this region breaks so well for Arizona its not cuse its the weakest (thats the Midwest) its because the bottom half of the region is stacked with conference winners and teams that can win one or two games against anybody but will have trouble winning six let alone four games in a row.

from AZ's perspective its all about who can potentially take out a higher seed early - a few teams with a real chance:

TCU
UAB
Chattanooga
Michigan
Colorado State
Loyola-Chicago
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:20 pm
The sophomoric side of me (which is every side) wants Longwood alive as long as possible. I'll root for Arizona over the dick joke of course but otherwise that's my team.

Btw, is Moorhead State in Longwood's conference? That would be quite the rivalry.