Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dmjcat

Re: Lets Talk '24

Post by dmjcat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Missi talks programs
Baylor: “The Baylor visit was really good. They showed me their style of play and how they play with their bigs. I can see myself playing at Baylor. It’s actually a really good team.”

Stanford: “I’m going to look at their style of play. Also, their education is really good and that’s really important.”

UConn: “UConn was also good. We saw the practice, and we saw some clips of their big men. They showed me how I can be one of them.”

What other schools are recruiting Missi?

“Alabama, Arizona, Kansas, UCLA, DePaul. They all talk to me.”
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:06 pm
That guy is a HS Junior? Is he on the Shabazz Muhammad graduation path?
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:52 am
dmjcat wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 7:06 pm
That guy is a HS Junior? Is he on the Shabazz Muhammad graduation path?
Judging from his highlights he looks like a superstar.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Visiting the UA next month
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Can't get too excited seeing that he is also visiting Oregon. We can't begin to match Phils $NIL$

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

Tommy has brought fun back to Cats basketball. Who doesn’t want to play a run and gun style in college? Remember when Lute mentioned he wanted the Gardner and Walton led teams to chase 100 points per game? Well the fun is back!
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

That would be sweet, we will need some players by then.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

arizonawildcats

From over the summer. Jamari Phillips is #24 in white and Carter Bryant is #0 in white.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sweet!
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Oh yeah......let's get Bryant while we are at it. Come on down before it is to late my friend.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Nice!
arizonawildcats

Dave

Post by Dave »

Did Carter Bryant have to cancel his visit?
arizonawildcats

Dave wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:07 pm Did Carter Bryant have to cancel his visit?
Yes, his family was involved in a car accident (non-fatal). Hopefully we can re-schedule.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

arizonawildcats wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:27 pm
Dave wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:07 pm Did Carter Bryant have to cancel his visit?
Yes, his family was involved in a car accident (non-fatal). Hopefully we can re-schedule.

Yeah, he's been to Arizona numerous times already though. This next visit whenever it occurs is just a formality.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

4-star 2024 shooting guard Jamari Phillips commits to Arizona men’s basketball

A former Arizona legend once told Phillips that he was so advanced for his age he could go straight from high school to the pros.

“Damon Stoudamire said he wouldn’t recruit me to come to his school because he said I would never touch a college floor,” Phillips said. “I just found it crazy to hear that coming from him since he was a big athlete back in the day. I was like “wow.” Like he thinks I’d go straight out of high school and I was surprised that he’d say that.”

Instead, Phillips is following after Mighty Mouse’s footsteps by attending Arizona.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... -tennessee
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

arizonawildcats

arizonawildcats

Tucson vibe was the final selling point for new Arizona basketball commit Jamari Phillips

Bruce Pascoe Dec 19, 2022 Updated 11 hrs ago

Already bullish on Arizona as a high school freshman in the spring of 2021, Jamari Phillips really only had to check one more thing about the Wildcats last weekend before becoming their newest commit.

It wasn’t so much about coach Tommy Lloyd, the Wildcats’ locker-room vibe or UA’s style of play. Phillips, a 6-foot-3-inch, four-star combo guard in the class of 2024 at Modesto Christian High School in California, had all those things figured out.

He just had to figure out where the Wildcats lived.

“When I started getting recruited by them, I thought it was nice because Arizona is one of the biggest schools in the Pac-12 — you can’t go wrong with getting recruited by Arizona,” Phillips said Monday, after making his decision public. “But I always thought they were in Phoenix or something. When I found that they were in Tucson, I was like, ‘Where’s Tucson?’

“So I looked it up and I thought, ‘Tucson’s small.’ I was like, ‘I’ll have to go out there and see how it is to really get a feel.’”

So he did. Not only did Phillips wind up taking in Arizona’s biggest win of the year so far, a 75-70 win over Tennessee on Saturday, but he also found things outside of McKale Center weren’t so bad. The Tucson area does have about a million people, and five-figure crowds routinely fill the campus arena for games.

“Everyone was telling me how much of a hometown it is, but they still have a big community and the hugest fan base like on the West Coast,” Phillips said. “I said, ‘That’s really good.’”

As it turned out, the visit was just the finishing touch on a decision Phillips had begun leaning toward since the Wildcats began recruiting him shortly after Lloyd was hired in April 2021.

The only real delay was in the typically methodical and deliberate recruiting style Lloyd has shown since taking over the Wildcats.

“They were having conversations and we kind of got to a point where they wanted to do their study on Jamari and make sure it’s a great fit,” said Jamari’s father, James Phillips. “It was kind of taking longer than what we had liked. So I kind of paused conversations, (saying) ‘Jamari just wants to feel that you guys are really excited about it. If we talk too long and you don’t offer, he’ll get the feeling that you guys aren’t serious.’

“So I said, `I think it’s best that we kind of stop talking. You guys do some more research. And then when you’re absolutely sold that Jamari is the guy, that he’s the fit for your program, then let’s have this conversation.’ “

That conversation happened in early November, and Phillips posted on Nov. 6 that the Wildcats had offered him a scholarship.

The delay, as it turned out, actually wound up making dad happy. James Phillips said he liked Lloyd’s plans to use his son as a Jalen Suggs-type of guard who could get to mid range, shake off defenders and pull up for a jumper, while playing both guard spots.

At the same time, James Phillips appreciated Lloyd’s recruiting philosophy.

“As a parent, I put a lot on the fact that they’re so selective. That was a positive,” James Phillips said. “They didn’t offer 20 guards in the 2024 class.

“And they’ve done an excellent job since they decided to offer. They were on it. Some schools say, ‘We want to wait til you’re closer, in your senior year, closer to the deadline because we want to be the last school you see,’ but they were like, ‘No, let’s get to it now.’ But they told us that. They said, ‘You know, once we come for him, we’re coming for him. So just be prepared for it.’”

So exactly six weeks after receiving Arizona’s offer, Jamari visited Tucson. He was originally scheduled to do so with another UA 2024 target, club-ball teammate Carter Bryant. James Phillips said a car accident delayed Bryant’s plans — Bryant wasn’t hurt — so Jamari Phillips made the visit by himself.

Phillips spent the weekend getting to know Lloyd and the coaching staff better. He spent time with the players. He watched the Wildcats beat Tennessee.

By the time the visit was over, there was no point in waiting any longer, even if Phillips won’t be able to play for the Wildcats until 2024-25.

“The reason why I picked Arizona is because of the way they told me they were gonna use me, the feel of the whole basketball arena and how much of a brotherhood the team is with the players, the managers and the coaches. I love it,” Phillips said. “And it’s just nice being in Tucson. It’s a nice hometown pretty much, you can say, because everyone treats everyone pretty nice. It’s just great out there. I loved it. So I needed to go there.”

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 5104d.html
arizonawildcats

Four-star shooting guard Jamari Phillips breaks down his commitment to Arizona

By DUSHAWN LONDON 60 minutes ago

On Sunday, Arizona landed its first commit in the class of 2024 in four-star shooting guard Jamari Phillips.

The 6-foot-3 sharp shooter from Modesto (Calif.) chose the Wildcats over Gonzaga, Kansas, Louisville, Oregon, Texas Tech, and UCLA.

“I picked Arizona to be my school because it felt like home, and because of my bond with the players, coaches, and team managers,” Philips said. “I can tell they really make them feel apart of something and there are no egos.”

Phillips’ commitment came on his official visit to Arizona where they defeated Tennessee at home.

“The Tennessee game was great,” Phillips said. “They handled the pressure and adversity very well. They kept each other’s heads up and pushed through it. They pulled it off at the end and got the win together. I was very exited seeing how they play and imagining myself in that system. I really liked the environment of the gym and how loud and energetic it was in there.”

“While on my visit I saw the interactions with the players and the staff,” he continued. “I got to see how amazing the gym was and I really liked their energy and their style of play. I’ve seen the whole campus, the town and it just felt like the place to be.”

The Wildcats style of play also played a big in role in Phillips decision.

“Their guard play is great, I love how unselfish they are and I feel that fits me,” he said. “They also feed it to their bigs and have trust in their bigs to go and get a bucket. The fact I can have that option to feed it to a big who I trust is good.”

With Phillips committed, he knows what he brings to Tommy Lloyd and the staff.

“I feel like I’m brining my scoring and playmaking ability to Arizona. I can create my own shot in an iso situation, and I can get a shot off the pick and roll. I feel with my playmaking ability, I can work and get into the lane and dish out to a teammate or even get the ball off a rebound and outlet it downcourt for someone running the lane to get them going.”

Phillips is currently ranked No. 30 overall in the latest class of 2024 Top 150 rankings.

https://247sports.com/Article/Basketbal ... 200942770/
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I can definitely get behind dropping from a 5 star recruiting class to a 4 star if Lloyd and the staff are analyzing fit in such a selective manner. It reminds me of early Lute recruiting, where the current players had to give a thumbs up, or at least not a thumbs down with reasoning, before he'd offer a player. Also, it does no good to recruit, say, a pound the floor iso wing who needs that space to operate to an offense depending on ball screen and zoom action and flex cuts to move the ball and players quickly to create much of their flow. Or a total asshat to a team with great chemistry. Chemistry is so often overlooked in sports, but even at the pro level, the exceptions are the teams that overcome internal strife to win.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 3:36 pm
2024 recruit Carter Bryant to visit Arizona Basketball in February
by Eric Townsend 15 hours ago

With Tommy Lloyd and Arizona Basketball continuing to put focus on the recruiting class of 2024, Small Forward Carter Bryant will visit again in February.

Things are steadily picking up for Arizona Basketball in the recruiting class of 2024 as already the Wildcats secured a commitment from four-star combo guard Jamari Phillips.

Beyond that, the Wildcats are doing quite well with several other recruits including highly-touted five-star small forward, Carter Bryant.

It wasn’t long ago that the Wildcats offered Bryant, and so far Tommy Lloyd and the Wildcats have made a sizable impact.

Arizona had Bryan on campus for the Arizona Red-Blue game back on September 30, but making news via social media on Monday, it was announced that Bryant will be in town again in February to take an official visit.

https://zonazealots.com/2022/12/27/2024 ... -february/

With offers from Duke, Gonzaga, Oregon, and several others, Carter has his fair share of suitors already, and if the Wildcats were to pull this one off, this would be a huge get for Arizona!

A budding star from Sage Hill School in Newport Coast, CA, Carter is considered to be the No. 7 overall player in the class by 247Sports and is also considered to be the No. 2 rated small forward. Additionally, he is the top-rated prospect from the state of California as well!
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Scheer dropped a crystal ball for AZ for Carter Bryant

https://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution ... edictions/
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:10 pm
Scheer put one in.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Zoom Diallo, a standout guard in the Class of 2024, is expected to make an official visit to Gonzaga next week.

Diallo is scheduled to be in Spokane for the Jan. 14-15 weekend, according to 247sports. Gonzaga entertains Portland on Saturday, Jan. 14. The Zags take on BYU in Provo on Thursday, Jan. 12, before returning home to face the Pilots.

Diallo, who led Tacoma’s Curtis High to the Washington 4A state championship last spring, had an unofficial visit to Gonzaga in September, tweeting afterward that he’d received a scholarship offer from the Zags.

The 6-foot-4, 190-pound Diallo is regarded as the state’s top-ranked recruit. He’s taken official visits to Arizona and Florida State. On3.com lists Gonzaga (40.4%) as a slight favorite over Arizona (26.8%) and Florida State (22.9%), but Diallo is receiving considerable attention from powerhouse programs. He has at least 17 offers, according to Rivals.com.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Subject: Lets Talk '24
dmjcat wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:26 pm Zoom Diallo, a standout guard in the Class of 2024,

Do you know if he plays Point Guard remotely?
arizonawildcats

RaisingArizona wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:47 pm Subject: Lets Talk '24
dmjcat wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:26 pm Zoom Diallo, a standout guard in the Class of 2024,

I'd say he's more of a SG who can facilitate. Dedan Thomas is a natural PG. No idea where we stand with either one.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

arizonawildcats wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:45 pm
RaisingArizona wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:47 pm Subject: Lets Talk '24

I'd say he's more of a SG who can facilitate. Dedan Thomas is a natural PG. No idea where we stand with either one.
Was just my bad, video conferencing dad joke.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:46 am
“consistency of the coaches recruiting me and to keep preaching what they can do for me.” = “Promise me I will start from day one, and be a featured scorer…”
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:37 pm
dmjcat wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:46 am
“consistency of the coaches recruiting me and to keep preaching what they can do for me.” = “Promise me I will start from day one, and be a featured scorer…”
Wow, what a presumptuous and shitty thing to say.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Another NBA academy (2024) visitor that was at the game today:

Ulrich Chomche
6’11” Forward | Cameroon | 17.0 Years Old |

Chomche is an all-around athlete who shows tremendous open-court speed, vertical leaping ability and lateral mobility for his 6-foot-11 size, being able to use those tools to make an impact as a versatile defender. Offensively, Chomche has a versatile profile for his size, being able to attack closeouts, finish at the rim with a good combination of extension and touch and make plays for teammates from stationary positions.

Despite not projecting as an elite shooter as of this point, Chomche could add value to a number of college and professional teams as a versatile two-way player who can be a plus on multiple areas of the floor and doesn’t need the ball in his hands to be effective. If the shooting ever comes around, his profile as a two-way forward with tremendous tools for the position could be too enticing for NBA teams to pass up.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Dedan Thomas Jr. to take Arizona official visit next week

6'1" | 175 LBS | PG | 2024

Dedan Thomas Jr., a 2024 four-star point guard, will head to Tucson next week for his official visit to Arizona. The Wildcats welcome Oregon State to town next Saturday. This will be Thomas’ second visit to Arizona this season, as he also took an unofficial visit there in October. Arizona is joined by Florida, Gonzaga, Houston, UCLA and UNLV in Thomas’ top six.
arizonawildcats

I wouldn't mind Thomas reclassifying to 2023. He didn't mention UA being a school wanting him to do so, but he looks like a guy who could help right away like Boswell.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

arizonawildcats wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:55 pm I wouldn't mind Thomas reclassifying to 2023. He didn't mention UA being a school wanting him to do so, but he looks like a guy who could help right away like Boswell.
My understanding is that if he reclassifies, Arizona is out of the running.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:49 am
arizonawildcats wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:55 pm I wouldn't mind Thomas reclassifying to 2023. He didn't mention UA being a school wanting him to do so, but he looks like a guy who could help right away like Boswell.
My understanding is that if he reclassifies, Arizona is out of the running.
Arizona doesn't want the conflict of Boswell and Thomas being so close in remaining eligible years. If Thomas stays in 2024 then he's an entering freshman to a junior Boswell. The more years you have to offer a guy a starting spot the better your chance of landing them obviously.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Totally get your point Choo, so the question is will Boswell be a 3 or 4 year player right?