Lets Talk '24

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

TheCat

Re: Lets Talk '24

Post by TheCat »

Nice class and I think Phillips is a lot like Salim. Those guys are shooters.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

arizonawildcats

RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

TheCat wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:04 pm Nice class and I think Phillips is a lot like Salim. Those guys are shooters.
Ben Gordon. From the first time I saw Phillips highlights that was who he reminded me of. He's gonna be gooood.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Ben Gordon is probably a better comparison because of build alone. We will be incredibly young in a new league but like the way the team is structured. Would like a big PF that rebounds the hell out of the ball because although we have numbers down low most are a bit light and need to add strength. The one guy that I want to see is Anderson because he had a bit of a mean streak.
arizonawildcats

arizonawildcats

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Pretty impressive list…except for Kansas of course.😆
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm Pretty impressive list…except for Kansas of course.😆
Everyone needs a safe school
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm Pretty impressive list…except for Kansas of course.😆
He just committed there. Even though he listed us we were never involved at least not seriously.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:51 am
He just committed there. Even though he listed us we were never involved at least not seriously.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I had offers from Harvard, Yale and Stanford, but in the end, I went with the tiny college no one’s heard of. ;)

Kansas is not a “tiny college no one’s heard of,” but I also think Kugel (and plenty of others) ventures into fan fiction with these “final 4” lists.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The addition of Sanon has bumped up the UA to the #3 ranked class nationally (behind only Duke and Kentucky)

https://247sports.com/Season/2024-Baske ... mRankings/
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

every one of the recruits played in the this, the video isn't great quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Kzswa3eSmI
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

If Caleb (only one year of eligibility left) is reportedly scaring off Sanon…what would this do?

And who would we rather have of the 3?

I would guess the order goes:
Caleb
Boogie
Sanon
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Where is it being reported Love is scaring off Sanon?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Someone on this board was saying that if Love comes back, Sanon is likely to not sign. I don’t remember who or where though
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:25 am Someone on this board was saying that if Love comes back, Sanon is likely to not sign. I don’t remember who or where though
Vague, unsourced rumors about vague, unsourced rumors! :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:

Sure glad I checked in this morning... :roll:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:40 am
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:25 am Someone on this board was saying that if Love comes back, Sanon is likely to not sign. I don’t remember who or where though

It was Winger who said it. He’s about as dialed in as they come but please don’t let that stop your unsourced rumors rant.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Here’s the source you so desperately desire but couldn’t use the search function for:
Winger wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:54 am
TucsonClip wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:05 am
Winger wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:09 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:58 pm https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... -25-season

This is more legit than those rankings posted upthread. And I think we could rise higher once the dust settles from the transfer portal.
Interesting how they do it this early and I wonder how accurate that starting 5 for Arizona will end up being.

I don’t know anything but declaring for the portal doesn’t always mean one is gone. It can be used as leverage for NIL fund raising.

I don’t read Scheer and Luke anymore but I wonder if their “Love may come back” news is based on the recent rumor that someone(s) has pledged significant $$$ to his NIL.

Often in the past when that site in the early off season posted “Joe may come back” is has been homer and wrong and sometimes directly opposed to what I was hearing (Terry and Koloko being the most recent examples).

I don’t think I’d bet $5 on any starting 5 for Arizona at this point.
Whoa, Winger is here!?

Also, wanted to chime in and say I heard something similar as well. Not sure if it's a full pledge to his NIL or a donation to the hoops NIL/program with an earmark for Love.
No clue if its true, but I heard it was more than twice what Johnson received and for Love specifically. Question I have is: would Lloyd allow him to come back? That is a difficult question imo. Everything taken in to account it seems unlikely but who knows now a days. Also heard that if Love comes back Sanon doesn’t sign.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

That was before Boswell left. Scheer did a live about Caleb potentially coming back and said that one of Kylan or Sanon would leave if it happened. Well Kylan already left.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SunnyAZ wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:51 am That was before Boswell left. Scheer did a live about Caleb potentially coming back and said that one of Kylan or Sanon would leave if it happened. Well Kylan already left.
It’s still not a sure thing Sanon would come if Love comes back regardless. I won’t go as far as Winger did in saying he for sure won’t come, but it’s certainly up in the air.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:08 am
pc in NM wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:40 am

It was Winger who said it. He’s about as dialed in as they come but please don’t let that stop your unsourced rumors rant.
Sure glad I have you to monitor and correct my postings... :D
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

My mistake I missed that post by Winger before, was just curious about where the Sanon thing came from.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:21 am
SunnyAZ wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:51 am That was before Boswell left. Scheer did a live about Caleb potentially coming back and said that one of Kylan or Sanon would leave if it happened. Well Kylan already left.
It’s still not a sure thing Sanon would come if Love comes back regardless. I won’t go as far as Winger did in saying he for sure won’t come, but it’s certainly up in the air.
even if you include love coming back the bench rn would be Henri and two freshman. maybe Conrad if you think he will play. I don't know why he would commit with Boswell on the team and Caleb leaving and then leave in the reverse. it's basically the same thing as far as minutes distribution imo
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SunnyAZ wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:50 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:21 am
even if you include love coming back the bench rn would be Henri and two freshman. maybe Conrad if you think he will play. I don't know why he would commit with Boswell on the team and Caleb leaving and then leave in the reverse. it's basically the same thing as far as minutes distribution imo
For all intents and purposes, Sanon's role on the team would be the same as Love's. Boswell wouldn't have impacted that as much. So it's more of a role issue rather than minutes.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

So for those of you who have looked into Damon more than I have (minimal) who would you rather have?

Freshman Sanon (is he a 1&Done?)
Or Super Senior Love?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:18 am So for those of you who have looked into Damon more than I have (minimal) who would you rather have?

Or Super Senior Love?
So, which one to add to a team that otherwise is losing 4 starters from last season's Sweet 16 team?

A five star, top 20 recruit, coming a year early,

or

A five star, top 20 recruit, with four years' collegiate experience, and the best player on your team, and POY in your conference, last season?

― Kinky Friedman
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:18 am So for those of you who have looked into Damon more than I have (minimal) who would you rather have?

Or Super Senior Love?
Love, not even close. But I don't know why ppl think Sanon is a 1&D.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

You need potential NBA players to go far in the tourney. Easy choice then.

And if he isn't a 1&D, then we get years out of him, not just one more like you get with Love.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

SunnyAZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:51 am

Or Super Senior Love?
Love, not even close. But I don't know why ppl think Sanon is a 1&D.
You need NBA guys without question. Last two years we lacked NBA talent.

I would take youth over experience unless experience is ready to accept a sacrificial leadership role. I'm not sure if Love can be that.

Also, youth is more moldable. Players like Love (while I love his production) can be difficult because they're set in their ways.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

RawleArenas wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:34 am
You need NBA guys without question. Last two years we lacked NBA talent.

I would take youth over experience unless experience is ready to accept a sacrificial leadership role. I'm not sure if Love can be that.

Also, youth is more moldable. Players like Love (while I love his production) can be difficult because they're set in their ways.
My problem is why ppl think Sanon is an obvious NBA player that he would be 1&D. It reminds me of ppl putting Kylan in the 1st round from last offseason.
The more I watch I don't even know if he is better than Jamari.
Winger

Post by Winger »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:13 am
For all intents and purposes, Sanon's role on the team would be the same as Love's. Boswell wouldn't have impacted that as much. So it's more of a role issue rather than minutes.
Agree, that Boswell reference in relation to Sanon doesn’t make sense.
Winger

Post by Winger »

Or Super Senior Love?
Love was my favorite player to watch in an Arizona uniform this past season. I am not big on 1&Ds who aren’t game changers from day 1, which Sanon is not. But, you can’t run Love back this season. He will kill you too often by shooting and TOing you out of games and Lloyd isn’t a dude who can rein in players and his offense specifically isn’t designed with that in mind. If Love comes back that would be a black mark for me on Lloyd’s ability to coach and manage a roster.

Until he does in fact rein him in and improve his efficiency, of course. Then I will apologize and take it back. But, that ain’t happening.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Winger wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:33 am

Or Super Senior Love?
Love was my favorite player to watch in an Arizona uniform this past season. I am not big on 1&Ds who aren’t game changers from day 1, which Sanon is not. But, you can’t run Love back this season. He will kill you too often by shooting and TOing you out of games and Lloyd isn’t a dude who can rein in players and his offense specifically isn’t designed with that in mind. If Love comes back that would be a black mark for me on Lloyd’s ability to coach and manage a roster.

Until he does in fact rein him in and improve his efficiency, of course. Then I will apologize and take it back. But, that ain’t happening.
Not really understanding your logic Winger. We seem to forget Love was basically booted out of Chapel Hill the year before because of his poor performance and Lloyd helped turn his career around including Love winning the PAC POY award. What makes you think CTL wouldn’t help him take the next steps in his player growth?

I just can’t see turning our back on a POY winner if he wants to come back and commits to taking the necessary next steps to be even better next year.

But that’s just me I guess…
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Or Super Senior Love?

Yup and with recent ironic news that Johnell Davis is having issues getting into Michigan, well it's time for Tommy to pursue that avenue and literally relive adding an All American that Michigan couldn't get through their admin process. I don't know if he will, but dammit he absolutely should.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Winger wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:28 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:13 am
Agree, that Boswell reference in relation to Sanon doesn’t make sense.
Kylan and Jaden would have split minutes at PG/SG. Love and Jaden will split minutes at PG/SG. So there isn’t a giant difference in available minutes left no matter if Kylan or Love was on the team. But again the rumor started with Scheer but he said if Love came back someone from the team will likely leave. And he said the most likely players to leave were either Boswell or Sanon. Boswell left. And I think he mentioned Sanon simply because he hasn’t signed yet.

Also there’s no way Tommy goes into the season without adding a starting caliber guard imo, whether that is Caleb or another transfer. So if ppl think Sanon will leave if we have another starting guard over him then I wouldn’t expect him to be on the team.
Winger

Post by Winger »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:45 am

Or Super Senior Love?
One thing that most Arizona losses shared was Love shooting and missing a lot. At the end of the season as he was shooting and missing and turning the ball over a lot he didn’t selfcontrol and Lloyd didn’t or couldn’t do anything about it and we lost a lot of games.

I value efficiency at what it means to winning, especially when it matters and particularly when our opponents can slow the game down. I have seen the Love Arizona experiment and it didn’t work.

Time for Lloyd to move on.

Not really understanding your logic Winger. We seem to forget Love was basically booted out of Chapel Hill the year before because of his poor performance and Lloyd helped turn his career around including Love winning the PAC POY award. What makes you think CTL wouldn’t help him take the next steps in his player growth?

I just can’t see turning our back on a POY winner if he wants to come back and commits to taking the necessary next steps to be even better next year.

Winger

Post by Winger »

Or Super Senior Love?

One thing that most Arizona losses shared was Love shooting and missing a lot. At the end of the season as he was shooting and missing and turning the ball over a lot he didn’t selfcontrol and Lloyd didn’t or couldn’t do anything about it and we lost a lot of games.

I value efficiency and what it means to winning, especially when it matters and particularly when our opponents can slow the game down. I have seen the Love Arizona experiment and it didn’t work.

Winger

Post by Winger »

Nm
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Winger wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:32 pm

Or Super Senior Love?

I value efficiency and what it means to winning, especially when it matters and particularly when our opponents can slow the game down. I have seen the Love Arizona experiment and it didn’t work.

I believe that many, if not most of those shots came after the offense broke down - too much dribbling, standing and not moving the ball - when he was getting good pass-and-catch shots, he was usually hitting them effectively.

Now, some if that has to be credited to good defense, and the failure to correct does fall to the coaching staff, too. But, replacing Box with a true PG (i e., Bradley) could be a part of the solution.

I side strongly with bringing back the best player on the team, especially as the only returning starter.

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just that if he does come back, I don't expect anything to change. Love is 23, and has been playing elite level NCAA basketball longer than Lloyd has been a head coach at any level.

In any event, Lloyd's 3 transfer recruits last year were all signed in May, and no doubt things are in the works no one outside of his staff know about.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Or Super Senior Love?

Fwiw I agree with Winger here for the most part, but Lloyd doesn't seem to. If Love wants to return he will be welcomed back with open arms and whatever ramifications come from that Arizona will deal with.
Winger

Post by Winger »

You might be right CCC but I am not sure on that. I can’t think of one reason why he wouldn’t have announced he was back. I am sure there are some I don’t know about but I can’t come up with a single thing. He isn’t getting drafted. No other program would give him even 50% of what his Arizona number is. No contract outside of the NBA draft comes close to his Arizona number. One thing in favor of your conjecture is the offer. Unless Lloyd has zero control over who is offering whom it seems unlikely that that would have gone down without his blessing and there is no reason to give that blessing if you aren’t willing to run it back with him. I really like Love as a Wildcat he was my favorite guy on the team until his end of season implosion (not unusual for him btw) but I will go in to next season believing that Arizona and Lloyd will not be able to get to where they want to go with Love being Love.

All the “POY” stuff falls just as flat to me now as the “he led his team to the Final Four” stuff did last off season. Window dressing from folks that don’t understand what it takes to win college basketball games.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Or Super Senior Love?

I agree he needs to be in better control and take better shots but I think a lot of that occurred because of Boswell's reluctance at times. I'm not sure what you mean it didn't work when Arizona won the league and Love was player of the year? If anything other than a NCAA championship or final four is your criteria for success you have been unhappy for 20+ years. Tourney success will come.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Winger wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:01 am You might be right CCC but I am not sure on that. I can’t think of one reason why he wouldn’t have announced he was back. I am sure there are some I don’t know about but I can’t come up with a single thing. He isn’t getting drafted. No other program would give him even 50% of what his Arizona number is. No contract outside of the NBA draft comes close to his Arizona number. One thing in favor of your conjecture is the offer. Unless Lloyd has zero control over who is offering whom it seems unlikely that that would have gone down without his blessing and there is no reason to give that blessing if you aren’t willing to run it back with him. I really like Love as a Wildcat he was my favorite guy on the team until his end of season implosion (not unusual for him btw) but I will go in to next season believing that Arizona and Lloyd will not be able to get to where they want to go with Love being Love.

All the “POY” stuff falls just as flat to me now as the “he led his team to the Final Four” stuff did last off season. Window dressing from folks that don’t understand what it takes to win college basketball games.
I dunno, I guess he's hoping that going through the process he can boost his stock to get drafted at a good enough spot? Honestly I think he's still debating whether to collect the Arizona NIL for one more year or hope to get a bigger paycheck offer internationally. I was told shortly after the season that Lloyd would absolutely welcome him back. I have no clue if that changed or not, but I have no reason to believe it did.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I want Love back for sure. Year one at AZ he had his best season efficiency-wise and I see no reason that can’t be further improved in year 2.

I think having other players not afraid to shoot open looks might help Love not have to take as many deep threes at the end of shot clock. The early shot clock stuff I would allow 1 or 2 misses before telling him to chill out. you’re not going to get that number to 0 in this fast paced system.

Hopefully KJ can improve his 3pt shooting and guys like Sanon, Phillips and Bryant should take shots when open too. The reluctance of Pelle and Boswell steered Lobe to start jacking up shots at times. I want him driving a lot and shooting mostly catch and shoot threes unless we are late in the clock.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What do the people who run the NIL collectives say about Love returning? Lloyd still can't offer NIL money, but can only offer negotiating assistance with the player and the collective.

Although like tampering, it seems like a wink wink rule.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Lloyd advises the NIL in an interesting way.

All of the starting five makes about the same. There’s no massive payout to one player. The rest all get some, too.

I’m not sure Love is gonna get a big bag if that’s what he’s expecting.