Lets Talk '24

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: Lets Talk '24

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:06 am What do the people who run the NIL collectives say about Love returning? Lloyd still can't offer NIL money, but can only offer negotiating assistance with the player and the collective.

Although like tampering, it seems like a wink wink rule.
Love has a larger NIL package on the table from us than he previously had.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

No wonder Boswell and Ballo bailed. I am certainly with Gumby here.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:26 am
Merkin wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:06 am What do the people who run the NIL collectives say about Love returning? Lloyd still can't offer NIL money, but can only offer negotiating assistance with the player and the collective.

Although like tampering, it seems like a wink wink rule.
Love has a larger NIL package on the table from us than he previously had.
The rumor is it is significantly larger than last year...
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Winger wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:32 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:45 am
Winger wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:33 am
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:18 am So for those of you who have looked into Damon more than I have (minimal) who would you rather have?

Freshman Sanon (is he a 1&Done?)
Or Super Senior Love?
Love was my favorite player to watch in an Arizona uniform this past season. I am not big on 1&Ds who aren’t game changers from day 1, which Sanon is not. But, you can’t run Love back this season. He will kill you too often by shooting and TOing you out of games and Lloyd isn’t a dude who can rein in players and his offense specifically isn’t designed with that in mind. If Love comes back that would be a black mark for me on Lloyd’s ability to coach and manage a roster.

Until he does in fact rein him in and improve his efficiency, of course. Then I will apologize and take it back. But, that ain’t happening.
Not really understanding your logic Winger. We seem to forget Love was basically booted out of Chapel Hill the year before because of his poor performance and Lloyd helped turn his career around including Love winning the PAC POY award. What makes you think CTL wouldn’t help him take the next steps in his player growth?

I just can’t see turning our back on a POY winner if he wants to come back and commits to taking the necessary next steps to be even better next year.

But that’s just me I guess…
One thing that most Arizona losses shared was Love shooting and missing a lot. At the end of the season as he was shooting and missing and turning the ball over a lot he didn’t selfcontrol and Lloyd didn’t or couldn’t do anything about it and we lost a lot of games.

I value efficiency and what it means to winning, especially when it matters and particularly when our opponents can slow the game down. I have seen the Love Arizona experiment and it didn’t work.

Time for Lloyd to move on.
For me, it always comes down to leadership. Can Love be the guy we need him to be in the Big 12? From what I've seen he plays from the gut
too much and lets that interfere with team dynamics. Put another way, If Dan Hurley was coaching the team using Tommy's system, do you think Love would have the rope that he has right now?

Of course if Love was Mathurin 2.0 then his return's a no brainer. I actually think his north/south speed is better than Mathurin's. Which is why it was such a head scratcher that Lloyd didn't design more plays to get Love to the hoop. It's a major reason why I didn't want Boswell or Ballo as team leaders for next year. You need guys that can lead by example so that in tough games the team can rely on them to be coaches on the floor.

Merk made a point a while back about RJ and Luke partying when they were here. I can attest to that, I ran into Luke at Dirtbags as an undergrad and we'll just say that he knew how to have a good time. But just like some people can hold their liquor, there are others that can hold their party. Boswell couldn't. Ballo had trouble staying in shape coming into the season as a 5th year. Love got into his emotions too much in big games and hurt our offense. So with that in mind, I think it's time to embrace the youth movement. We've already seen it work with Alabama, UCONN and even (womens) South Carolina making deep runs with heavy roster turnover featuring young players.
Winger

Post by Winger »

Don’t know what the deal was last season, but this one is $1 mil, for Love. If CCC was told that Lloyd would welcome him back that is good enough for me.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Doesn't read very promising for getting some killer transfers if they are offering Love a cool mil to come back. He will never come close to that overseas.

Just nuts that non-NBA caliber players like Ballo and Love can command that kind of money.
Winger

Post by Winger »

What I heard wasn’t a “they”, it was money from a “booster”, earmarked for Love.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Winger wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:29 pm What I heard wasn’t a “they”, it was money from a “booster”, earmarked for Love.
Same. One booster, not a collective.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

I have been impressed by Carter Bryant's defense. Carter + Townsend at the 3/4 gives you good size and rebounding. You would have to worry about both of their shot's translating. Also Carter needs to stop jumping at every pumpfake.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

SunnyAZ wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:48 am I have been impressed by Carter Bryant's defense. Carter + Townsend at the 3/4 gives you good size and rebounding. You would have to worry about both of their shot's translating. Also Carter needs to stop jumping at every pumpfake.
Townsend's addition (to Henri & Carter) provides good competition and practice options, allows Carter to ease into the collegiate game, and offers depth on the frontline. As a proven D1 starter with high-level competition experience, it looks all good to me...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman