Lets Talk '24

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: Lets Talk '24

Post by Beachcat97 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 2:48 pm We will likely only have one spot remaining on our roster unless someone leaves early, or transfers…which will inevitably happen of course.

K. Boswell 6’2” G Junior
J. Bradley 6’3” G Junior
J. Phillips 6’3” G Freshman
C. Bryant 6’8” F Freshman
M. Krivas 7’2” C Sophomore
K. Lewis 6’4” G. Sophomore
F. Borovicanin 6’8” W Junior
P. Murauskas 6’8” W Sophomore
E. Stephen 7’0” C Freshman
H. Veesaar 6’10” F Junior
D. Anderson 7’0” C Junior
C. Martinez 6’0” G Sophomore
So if Boswell leaves, add Zoom. It's not hard to see how Zoom could fit with next year's roster. I'm just wondering if we have greater needs in our frontcourt. Will Veesaar be back?
billk78

Post by billk78 »

I would love to land Zoom. But with the way the roster looks to be set up for next year, aren't we in much bigger need of big men to replace Ballo and Keshad? Seems like most of our returning talent and recruits are more of the guard/small forward variety.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Stephen looks like a very good prospect, and if he can build strength, he may crack the rotation as a sophomore. But to me he doesn't look like a guy who can come in as a freshman and be a factor. Would love to be proven wrong.

Given this new era of the "transfer portal," I'm less concerned about landing impact freshmen because Tommy has already shown he can go out there and reel in big fish transfers.
arizonawildcats

arizonawildcats

arizonawildcats

Last edited by arizonawildcats on Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

What an exciting day for the program. Our '24 class is stellar. And could get better.

Zoom has said he expects to decide this Fall.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

arizonawildcats

GU staff have known Diallo is not going to be a Zag since their whole staff went down to Prolific Prep in late-September in a hail-mary attempt to salvage a commitment. Diallo is AZ bound 100%, the hang-up is he's having a hard time letting the home team (UW) down. The Zags continued to be in consideration with Diallo because of the link to a possible Big 12 conference move. The staff put all their eggs in the Diallo basket and 2024 recruiting will suffer accordingly. Zags will continue to scour the transfer portal for fits per the new usual.
https://www.guboards.com/forum/bob-zag- ... ost2229900
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

arizonawildcats wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:49 pm
GU staff have known Diallo is not going to be a Zag since their whole staff went down to Prolific Prep in late-September in a hail-mary attempt to salvage a commitment. Diallo is AZ bound 100%, the hang-up is he's having a hard time letting the home team (UW) down. The Zags continued to be in consideration with Diallo because of the link to a possible Big 12 conference move. The staff put all their eggs in the Diallo basket and 2024 recruiting will suffer accordingly. Zags will continue to scour the transfer portal for fits per the new usual.
Well holy shite.

That’s the first I’ve seen anyone call him AZ-bound. Let alone 100% AZ-bound.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Might owe you an apology Beachcat
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:08 pm Might owe you an apology Beachcat
No worries, man. And besides, I was never predicting he'd be a Wildcat. I was just trying to get an update on his recruitment status. Choo has maintained for weeks that Zoom has kept this as close to the vest as possible and that no one has a strong feeling which way he's leaning. But the longer it drags out and the more Tommy keeps showing up at his games, the more I'm thinking we have a good shot.

We'll see what happens.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I may need to re-title CTL’s nickname:

The Awe Schucks Witch Assassin…
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

arizonawildcats wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 12:49 pm
Who are any of us to argue with ZagAddict? lol

I do know that Gonzaga has backed off recruiting Zoom to an extent, not because they felt they couldn't get him, but because they felt they put in enough work and if it wasn't good enough for him to pop then they weren't going to exhaust any more resources into it, hence why Arizona & UW visited him a week ago and Gonzaga didn't. Interesting strategy by the Zags considering that approach never works out in these recruitments. I will say if he does in fact choose to sign with a team between today and tomorrow, I feel pretty good about where Arizona stands. If he takes this into the Spring, however, yeah...I wouldn't be confident at all.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Choosing UW over AZ - at this moment in time - is kinda nuts to me. With all due respect to UW, that program is not really going anywhere. Gonzaga I’d understand.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

https://www.si.com/college/gonzaga/bask ... aga-and-uw
arizonawildcats

Dickau's reasoning is that PNW kids typically stay close to home. He has no inside information.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

That pretty much makes Arizona a lock LOL.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

If Zoom is so attached to his hometown that he'd pass up a chance to play for a potential top 10 team at AZ next season, well, good luck to him. We'll be better than Gonzaga next year, btw.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I have already watched a couple of Washington games this season. The fans have given up on the program.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Dave wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:46 pm I have already watched a couple of Washington games this season. The fans have given up on the program.
It's a head scratcher. Hopkins seemed like a really good hire early on, but he just hasn't been able to build momentum. I wonder about his assistant staff. It's also possible UW needs a run-and-gun coach like Romar, not a grind-it-out, zone-oriented coach like Hopkins.

This is all to say: UW and AZ are programs going in opposite directions. Zoom to UW would remind me of Ivan Rabb to Cal.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Welp seems like he's putting it off until Spring. Makes his recruitment a complete wildcard.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:21 pm Welp seems like he's putting it off until Spring. Makes his recruitment a complete wildcard.
I have mixed emotions about leaving a spot open for him. I guess that’s why Tommy is paid the big bucks.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I wonder if he's waiting to see how well boz does to see if he is going to the NBA before committing.
arizonawildcats

ChooChooCat wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:21 pm Welp seems like he's putting it off until Spring. Makes his recruitment a complete wildcard.
In last week's 247 interview he said he is down to four schools and would sign in this period or in the spring.

https://247sports.com/article/college-b ... 219960722/
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I don't think Tommy needs to wait for him. With all due respect to Zoom, Tommy can offer that scholarship to an international player, or he can wait for the transfer portal wars to begin. If there's one thing Tommy has proven in his short time as our coach, it's that he knows how to put a roster together, and he can very quickly pivot to excellent Plan Bs and Cs when A decides to go to Washington or Gonzaga.
arizonawildcats

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:53 pm
I don't think Tommy needs to wait for him. With all due respect to Zoom, Tommy can offer that scholarship to an international player, or he can wait for the transfer portal wars to begin. If there's one thing Tommy has proven in his short time as our coach, it's that he knows how to put a roster together, and he can very quickly pivot to excellent Plan Bs and Cs when A decides to go to Washington or Gonzaga.
Tommy and staff have put a lot of time into this recruitment and they're perfectly fine waiting until the spring. Zoom picking UA or another school doesn't affect transfers or international players so it's not a big deal to wait for his decision. This is already an amazing class and it's going to get even better one way or another.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

arizonawildcats wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:22 pm
Tommy and staff have put a lot of time into this recruitment and they're perfectly fine waiting until the spring. Zoom picking UA or another school doesn't affect transfers or international players so it's not a big deal to wait for his decision. This is already an amazing class and is going to get even better one way or another.
I agree, aw.

The other piece to this, I suppose, is Boswell's status. Is he a sure-fire draft pick if he leaves? I think he's definitely a future pro, but it's a little early to predict where or when he could be drafted. I'm not sure if he's given any indication he'll only play two years of college ball. If he plays another season, I'm not sure why Zoom would come to AZ. KB/Jamari/CB/FB(or DA)/Krivas...or we go small: KB/Jamari/KJ/CB/Krivas
arizonawildcats

Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:27 pm
Tommy and staff have put a lot of time into this recruitment and they're perfectly fine waiting until the spring. Zoom picking UA or another school doesn't affect transfers or international players so it's not a big deal to wait for his decision. This is already an amazing class and is going to get even better one way or another.
I agree, aw.

The other piece to this, I suppose, is Boswell's status. Is he a sure-fire draft pick if he leaves? I think he's definitely a future pro, but it's a little early to predict where or when he could be drafted. I'm not sure if he's given any indication he'll only play two years of college ball. If he plays another season, I'm not sure why Zoom would come to AZ. KB/Jamari/CB/FB(or DA)/Krivas...or we go small: KB/Jamari/KJ/CB/Krivas
I think Boswell's best chance at getting drafted is declaring after this season. I'd love if he stayed but it wouldn't help his draft stock.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

arizonawildcats wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:45 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:27 pm
I agree, aw.

I think Boswell's best chance at getting drafted is declaring after this season. I'd love if he stayed but it wouldn't help his draft stock.
Also, we're winning the national title this season, so Bos can go out on top! 8-)
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Does Boswell really impact ZD?

I’d guess they both be starting with Philips and Lewis as backups.

Bradley would be the odd man out.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Dave wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:46 pm I have already watched a couple of Washington games this season. The fans have given up on the program.
More than UCLA fans have?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
arizonawildcats

Frybry02 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:52 pm Does Boswell really impact ZD?

I’d guess they both be starting with Philips and Lewis as backups.

Bradley would be the odd man out.
I don't think so. Zoom mentions winning, relationships, and development in his interviews. He said USC told him he could step in for Isaiah Collier next season but who knows what he thinks about that. We're seeing how valuable guard depth is right now and I hope it continues next season.
arizonawildcats

#24 Zoom Diallo

Another white whale in this class. Arizona, Gonzaga or Washington. That’s all I know. This one has been impossible to get any good info on.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Would be pretty nice to start our B12 era with the league’s best freshman class.
arizonawildcats

Zoom talks recruiting around 2:30
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Hard to tell based on that which way he’s leaning.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Sounds like Dec. 23 for Diallo?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-AA1lpsOp
Diallo tweeted Tuesday afternoon “December 23…. ,” likely in reference to his commitment date.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
George Costanza

Post by George Costanza »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 7:46 pm Sounds like Dec. 23 for Diallo?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... r-AA1lpsOp
Diallo tweeted Tuesday afternoon “December 23…. ,” likely in reference to his commitment date.

12/23 is a Festivus for the rest of us!
Just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Our perimeter defense has to be aggressive. Not letting their guards go off from 3.

Keshad has to be the help defender if the drive inside. Leave Ballo on an island with Edey, and let him get his points without fouling him.

35% of his points this year are from the free throw line. Don’t let him get there.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:14 am Our perimeter defense has to be aggressive. Not letting their guards go off from 3.

Keshad has to be the help defender if the drive inside. Leave Ballo on an island with Edey, and let him get his points without fouling him.

35% of his points this year are from the free throw line. Don’t let him get there.
.... and then wear him the fuck out running back to protect his own rim. I want to see him sucking wind and hacking up a Buick.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Wrong thread. Sorry guys
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Choo, this is decision week for Zoom. What's in the tea leaves? Is it still a total mystery?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:37 pm Choo, this is decision week for Zoom. What's in the tea leaves? Is it still a total mystery?
Yup, one of the very few recruitments with less than zero leaks. I’d still expect it’s either Arizona or UW.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:13 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:37 pm Choo, this is decision week for Zoom. What's in the tea leaves? Is it still a total mystery?
Yup, one of the very few recruitments with less than zero leaks. I’d still expect it’s either Arizona or UW.
Hopefully our hot start this season gives us a slight edge.

Thanks, Choo!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Well that's sounds ominous.

~ Wilhoit's Law