Media Grades

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

PHXCATS

Media Grades

Post by PHXCATS »

Post your grades for the media who covers U of A and why

Michael Lev-A Great guy who gives great insight and does things the right way
Bruce Pascoe-B A little boring but does things the right way and is pretty good with insight and news
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
g32knights

Re: Media Grades

Post by g32knights »

Greg Hansen- A+ Do I even need to explain? GOAT
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

g32knights wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:04 pm Greg Hansen- A+ Do I even need to explain? GOAT
Sarcasm or WTF?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

TheCat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:35 pm
g32knights wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:04 pm Greg Hansen- A+ Do I even need to explain? GOAT
Sarcasm or WTF?
Yes
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Greg Hansen knows more about Wildcat sports history than (any of) you do...

... and, what good is a sports commentator if (s)he doesn't piss you off once is a while?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Hansen excels at getting people to talk about his columns and has for decades. He and Lute did not like each other although Hansen was a huge fan of Tomey.

When I moved to San Francisco in 1985 when I graduated from the UA I ordered the ADS by mail just to keep up with him.

Pascoe will forever be known as Columbo thanks to Lute.
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:51 pm Greg Hansen knows more about Utah high school sports history than (any of) you do...
That’s more like it.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:51 pm Greg Hansen knows more about Wildcat sports history than (any of) you do...

... and, what good is a sports commentator if (s)he doesn't piss you off once is a while?
I think you have confused access to researchers to knowing shit about anything. He has a vast archive to draw from and that is helpful and most of his Sunday column stuff is the result of being given a heads up by family or friends that want their love ones recognized.. He does have golfing partners that help him or give him insight. If you have ever read his top 100 things in Tucson sports 85 never change so it is just a Christmas filler and he adds Aida Barnes to it now.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

TheCat wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:44 pm
pc in NM wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:51 pm Greg Hansen knows more about Wildcat sports history than (any of) you do...

I think you have confused access to researchers to knowing shit about anything. He has a vast archive to draw from and that is helpful and most of his Sunday column stuff is the result of being given a heads up by family or friends that want their love ones recognized.. He does have golfing partners that help him or give him insight. If you have ever read his top 100 things in Tucson sports 85 never change so it is just a Christmas filler and he adds Aida Barnes to it now.
Sounds like a standard job description of a local sports columnist, to me. ;)
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Michael Lev is the best at Arizona football and baseball coverage I've seen in 50 years, so that's probably all-time. Like to see anybody get ahead, but selfishly, I hope he hasn't been permanently promoted out of those beats to be sports editor. As to columnists, meh. If they have a decent sidebar issue to cover and they do a straight-forward and honest job of it without re-imagining reality or pretending to be all-knowing, that can be okay. But they generally have to fill a required number of inches in the paper every week, and that's where the trouble often begins. Hansen has been suspended from the Star multiple times. But he seems to have toned down his excesses in recent years.