Kylan Boswell

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

IndianaZonaFan

Re: Kylan Boswell

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I would be happy to bring Kylan back. I think he could either start next to Bradley or be an excellent bench option. I look at our backcourt options not as 1’s and 2’s but more of shooters vs penetrators (no diddy).

Bradley- penetrator
Boswell- shooter
Lewis- penetrator
Phillips- shooter (maybe both/either)
Sanon- (haven’t got to know him yet, but maybe both/either)
Martinez- penetrator

I like mixing them together based on skill set and size.

Bradley/Boswell/Sanon
Boswell/Lewis/Phillips
Bradley/Phillips/Sanon

If you put Bradley and Lewis together for defense you better have a shooter out there too.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

pc in NM wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:45 pm It's a bit ironic that the percentage who thought over the offseason that Boz was the answer at PG, seems similar to the percentage who now think he could not ecpect to be a starter next season...

Is he less capable of growth from soph to jr than he was expected to be between frosh and soph?

Maybe better to think of 17-to-18 and 18-to-19...

He's now approaching the age that most of the "frosh-to-soph improvement" meme is based upon.
Yep. Everything said about Kriisa last year is being said about Boswell now...

Everything said about Boswell last year is being said about Bradley now.....
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:49 am
Phillips- shooter (maybe both/either)
Sanon- (haven’t got to know him yet, but maybe both/either)
I think Sanon will prob be the best shooter on the team next year, he's not only a great spot up shooter but can hit the pull-up and move off screens. Jamari also has a post game, which is crazy for a 6'2 guard. I think Sanon will have to play SF tho cause he is bigger than all these dudes.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I think Tommy’s system allows the 1-3 to basically be interchangeable on offense. I don’t see a need to differentiate. Only for defensive purposes.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Lloyds team always rebounds well and you wonder if we will be as efficient next year with that in the 12. We need to find that 4 as right now most of our 3’s are smaller
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Phillip's is a great shooter from the videos I have watched.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:11 am
pc in NM wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:45 pm It's a bit ironic that the percentage who thought over the offseason that Boz was the answer at PG, seems similar to the percentage who now think he could not ecpect to be a starter next season...

Is he less capable of growth from soph to jr than he was expected to be between frosh and soph?

Maybe better to think of 17-to-18 and 18-to-19...

He's now approaching the age that most of the "frosh-to-soph improvement" meme is based upon.

Oh yes, especially when Boswell kept getting T'd up for shit talking, everyone of us said these very words: Boswell is an asshole but he's our asshole. And thanks to Euclid's first common notion, you're right again! about how everything said about Kriisa is now being said about Bradley: he's our asshole and we can't make up our minds about that fucking headband but he's only 17.

Your spirit animal is a constipated shrew.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I wonder if Tommy couldn’t talk Boswell into a Jason Terry ‘96-‘98 role where he comes off the bench about 3-5 minutes into the game and just fucking wreaks havoc. Steals, assists, threes all in a hurry angling for him to win 6th Man of the Year in the Big12. He could have an outsized impact to the point where he gets back on the draft radar and then could truly blow up his senior year.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:39 pm I wonder if Tommy couldn’t talk Boswell into a Jason Terry ‘96-‘98 role where he comes off the bench about 3-5 minutes into the game and just fucking wreaks havoc. Steals, assists, threes all in a hurry angling for him to win 6th Man of the Year in the Big12. He could have an outsized impact to the point where he gets back on the draft radar and then could truly blow up his senior year.
Can you think of a single instance of this happening with a guy who once started?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:29 pm
Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:39 pm I wonder if Tommy couldn’t talk Boswell into a Jason Terry ‘96-‘98 role where he comes off the bench about 3-5 minutes into the game and just fucking wreaks havoc. Steals, assists, threes all in a hurry angling for him to win 6th Man of the Year in the Big12. He could have an outsized impact to the point where he gets back on the draft radar and then could truly blow up his senior year.
Can you think of a single instance of this happening with a guy who once started?
Terry played the third most minutes on the 96/97 team. Granted, he started a bunch of games early because Simon was academically ineligible in the fall, but he played 31 minutes a game that season. The next year he played 23 minutes per game, the sixth most on the team. He embraced that 6th man role even though he was obviously a starter and then his senior year he put in one of the all-time great individual season-long Wildcat performances.

I could absolutely see Boswell having the same trajectory.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Isn’t Bryant a wing also?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:39 pm I wonder if Tommy couldn’t talk Boswell into a Jason Terry ‘96-‘98 role where he comes off the bench
Didn't Larsson start a few games 2 seasons ago and then go back on the bench to be more productive?

Announcer: Yes, Pelle Larsson only started 18 out of 35 games during the 2022-3 season.
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:32 pm
Terry played the third most minutes on the 96/97 team. Granted, he started a bunch of games early because Simon was academically ineligible in the fall, but he played 31 minutes a game that season. The next year he played 23 minutes per game, the sixth most on the team. He embraced that 6th man role even though he was obviously a starter and then his senior year he put in one of the all-time great individual season-long Wildcat performances.

AbsoLutely love the notion.

Get Boz some long white socks and tell 'im not to change them during a win streak (and smile more).

JET was special.

And that was a magical time and team.

Alas, 1997 was a long time ago.

How old was Kylan?
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Postmaster wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 6:07 pm Isn’t Bryant a wing also?
Yeah. I think he could start at PF if they get a transfer SF or start KJ at SF. He's bigger than Keshad and from what I've seen he is pretty good at protecting the rim. Now he's not gonna have grown man strength but Keshad also wasn't that good at guarding post up bigs imo.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:11 am

Stop obsessing so much over what other people think. Just do you. You'll be a lot happier. And so will the rest of us...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

These are all good points, Chi. I just think the transfer portal era we’re in is a different animal. Guys don’t have to consent to having their minutes cut, even if they’re at a strong program. Boswell will have dozens of suitors if he enters the portal, and they’ll all offer him a starting spot next season.

If Tommy is actually telling KB he isn’t promised a starting spot next season, I’ll be very surprised if he remains at AZ.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:09 am

These are all good points, Chi. I just think the transfer portal era we’re in is a different animal. Guys don’t have to consent to having their minutes cut, even if they’re at a strong program. Boswell will have dozens of suitors if he enters the portal, and they’ll all offer him a starting spot next season.

If Tommy is actually telling KB he isn’t promised a starting spot next season, I’ll be very surprised if he remains at AZ.
Note I didn’t say it WOULD happen. Just that Tommy should try to talk him into it. If he’s not successful and Boswell moves on, we’ll be fine. But could be a strong move for him and the team.
Winger

Post by Winger »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:11 am Yep. Everything said about Kriisa last year is being said about Boswell now...

That’s what happens when you’re the PG, you play like crap, and your team flames out of the NCAA Tournament.

Boswell is played out at Arizona. No way Lloyd can continue to start a PG who puts up bagels as often as he does.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Some players develop, and some do not. Kriisa and Boswell have not, that's what they have in common.

Have they gotten better, sure, but they are both streaky AF and not willing to drive. Kriisa had 7 games with 1 or less 3pt shots made at WVU, and had 18 games with 1 or less 2pt shots made. Kriisa has only one game with 3 2pt shots made v. K State where he attempted 8 2pt shots.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I trust Lloyd and it sounds like he wants Boswell

More than good enough for me
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Winger wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:38 am
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:11 am Yep. Everything said about Kriisa last year is being said about Boswell now...

That’s what happens when you’re the PG, you play like crap, and your team flames out of the NCAA Tournament.

Boswell is played out at Arizona. No way Lloyd can continue to start a PG who puts up bagels as often as he does.
Couldn't agree more. At any high major program, the lead guard has to be a rock and set the tone. Boswell was too busy spending his free time hanging out with Teddy KGB during the season. It's not just his behavior and body language, the numbers bear it out as well; one of the posters (I can't remember who) put out the team's efficiency ratings for the tournament.

If Boswell is serious about his role as a leader, then he has to take a back seat and earn his keep. All of this talk about Boswell made me think about Gardner and his role with the team. Him and Boswell share a lot similarities and I wonder if he ever set him aside to have a one on one. He seems a bit rudderless right now and could benefit from some mentorship.Regardless, changes need to be made because the coaches and players in the Big 12 are more than willing to pick him apart.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 10:09 am

CTL promises NO ONE a starting job period. Performance determines playing time.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

TheCat wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:57 am CTL promises NO ONE a starting job period. Performance determines playing time.
True, but the issue with Lloyd last season is that once you start, you remain a starter. How many coaches had the same starting lineup game 1 as game 36, with every game between them the same outside of Grant Weitman starting for Boswell during the Senior Day ceremonies?

Looking at the last 6 games, now who would you start? And yes I remember what Lute said, it's not who starts but who is there at crunch time.

FT attempts
Boswell 4
Bradley 29

2PT shots made
Boswell 9 (one game with 4, 2 with 0)
Bradley 18 (no game less than 2)

3PT shots made
Boswell 6 (26 attempts) one game with 4 made, the rest 1 or less)
Bradley 4 (8 attempts, one game with 2 made, 3 games with 0)

Assists
Boswell 20
Bradley 8

Turnovers
Boswell 8
Bradley 9

Rebounds
Boswell 14
Bradley 21
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Who is Teddy KGB?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:00 pm Who is Teddy KGB?
RA can answer, but I imagine it's somewhat based on the John Malkovich character gambling. Rumors about Boswell liking to party, but I recall very well Richard Jefferson and Luke Walton having some monster good times too.

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

He beyeht mi ..... strayee tup! Peyh heem hiss moanay!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Portal
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Thanks for all you contributed and especially for signing early which help show Arizona as a destination still.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Karter Knox would be a great replacement......
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

He never would have done this if we had the bigger dicks of good fans and didn't deliberately hurt feelings on sportsball forums.

~ Wilhoit's Law
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

Great thing about JET.

He stuck around until it was his turn to shine.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:46 pm He never would have done this if we had the bigger dicks of good fans and didn't deliberately hurt feelings on sportsball forums.
If you would have started a Boz stan podcast we could have avoided this.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Boswell now has 3 crystal balls for Illinois (where he is originally from)

https://247sports.com/player/kylan-boswell-46117161/
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

They were right.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Hope he has great luck and a great career. Appreciate that he came here.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

The expectations will be lower. He should do well.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't care one way or the other about Boswell or any UA player after the leave, but fuck Illinois.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

wyo-cat wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:55 am The expectations will be lower. He should do well.
He needs to clean up his off-court behavior (which was juvenile).

Hopefully he can regain his confidence and have a good career. I wish him well.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Really wish him well. He'll go far if he buckles down and focuses on basketball.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This is a transfer that really seems to make sense.

I can't root for Illinois but I really hope he thrives there
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Can't root for Illinois but best of luck to Boswell.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Wish him well too. Also agree it was for the best for both parties.

But please god let’s not post his every performance next year. We all know how to look up player stats.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

I don't think posting about his games next season will be that big a deal, just need to move this thread to arch rivals
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Fishclamps wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:59 am I don't think posting about his games next season will be that big a deal, just need to move this thread to arch rivals
The Kriisa thread hasn't been moved, and he is already on his way to his 2nd non-UA team.

https://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewto ... 09#p609709
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

He’ll go down in the books as a fuck up here at AZ. He squandered a great opportunity here. Too bad.

Move this thread to the rivals. I could give a shit how he does. He’s not a Cat anymore.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I will NEVER root for Illinois so I guess Kylan is in a coma now and will awaken when his eligibility runs out or he goes league.
Winger

Post by Winger »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:04 am I trust Lloyd and it sounds like he wants Boswell

He didn't want Boswell.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Hard to want a guy who only shows up half the time -- if that. When he was "off", he was terrible, both offensively and defensively. And that happened more often than not. The thought that he would be a lottery pick this year is just laughable.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Winger wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:16 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 11:04 am I trust Lloyd and it sounds like he wants Boswell

He didn't want Boswell.
Was Vegas the final straw or was Tommy already done with Boswell before then?
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller