Post by arizonawildcats »

EastCoastCat

Re: Kylan Boswell

Post by EastCoastCat »

Let’s not go too crazy there.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'd really be surprised if he measures 6'2".
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I don’t care how tall he is. I just want him getting more of Kriisa’s minutes.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

The kid has really improved, he's getting better with each game.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Did anyone know he's only 17?

And he won't even turn 18 until April!!!!!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:16 am I don’t care how tall he is. I just want him getting more of Kriisa’s minutes.
Why? I mean I love Boswell, but it's not as if Kerr is hurting Arizona in any way shape or form. If anything I love the Kerr, Boswell, Ramey lineup.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:20 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:16 am I don’t care how tall he is. I just want him getting more of Kriisa’s minutes.
Why? I mean I love Boswell, but it's not as if Kerr is hurting Arizona in any way shape or form. If anything I love the Kerr, Boswell, Ramey lineup.
Boswell can do more offensively, imo. I’ve seen him hit shots from far away, in the lane, and he’s got a much better layup game than Kriisa.

I’ve been hard on Kriisa in recent weeks because his inconsistency (particularly his shooting) worries me a little for the tourney. If Tubelis and Ballo are owning the paint, it’s less of an issue. But because the ball is in Kriisa’s hands on so many possessions, his steadiness (or lack thereof) is going to be critical in March.

Am I worried for no reason, Choo?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:25 pm
Boswell can do more offensively, imo. I’ve seen him hit shots from far away, in the lane, and he’s got a much better layup game than Kriisa.

I’ve been hard on Kriisa in recent weeks because his inconsistency (particularly his shooting) worries me a little for the tourney. If Tubelis and Ballo are owning the paint, it’s less of an issue. But because the ball is in Kriisa’s hands on so many possessions, his steadiness (or lack thereof) is going to be critical in March.

I'd say you are. Even if he's not hitting his shot he's still impacting the game in a positive way for Arizona and quite frankly nobody on this team runs the offense as good as he does.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:29 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:25 pm

I'd say you are. Even if he's not hitting his shot he's still impacting the game in a positive way for Arizona and quite frankly nobody on this team runs the offense as good as he does.
I am 100% with CCT on this as far as the present season goes.

And, I think Boswell is great, and his ceiling is very, very, very high!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:20 pm If anything I love the Kerr, Boswell, Ramey lineup.
Same. And has been noted, Boswell brings the ball down quite a bit and Kriisa slides over to the 2.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:45 pm
ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:20 pm If anything I love the Kerr, Boswell, Ramey lineup.
Same. And has been noted, Boswell brings the ball down quite a bit and Kriisa slides over to the 2.
I don’t thing that is the same as “running the offense”; “1” and “2” are obsolete terms in the Arizona offense.

I am really appreciating the variety of “offenses”, if you will, that our seven man rotation presents to the opponent, and think that increasingly makes us one of the scariest teams approaching the tourney!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

The amount of shit that Kriisa receives on this board amazes me. We don't, let me repeat, don't need him to be a scorer to provide tremendous value to this team.

He leads the league in fucking assists, runs the 7th ranked team's offense better than anyone (which btw is one of the top scoring teams in the country), plays very good defense/ball pressure, and is arguably the team's emotional leader.

He is the Reggie Jackson straw for this team...he does not have to be Salim or Jason.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:20 pm Did anyone know he's only 17?

AND he's the best shooter in practice!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:23 pm

Uh oh, does that mean he's transferring to BYU?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:29 pm
dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:23 pm

Uh oh, does that mean he's transferring to BYU?
Yup, unless we self-sanction. It's the only way to get out ahead of this.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:05 pm The amount of shit that Kriisa receives on this board amazes me. We don't, let me repeat, don't need him to be a scorer to provide tremendous value to this team.

He leads the league in fucking assists, runs the 7th ranked team's offense better than anyone (which btw is one of the top scoring teams in the country), plays very good defense/ball pressure, and is arguably the team's emotional leader.

He is the Reggie Jackson straw for this team...he does not have to be Salim or Jason.
Kerr does not play "very good defense". He tries and I believe he leads the PAC in assists and 3 pointers (or close to it). He is Tommy's guy and he is the ultimate judge of value to his team.

Kylan is the best on the ball defender on the team and has an INCREDIBLY high ceiling.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

The ESPN guy has Boswell in his first round mock for 2024.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Well he will be under the age limit so we got that in our favor. Tommy did the absolute right thing with this kid. He told him that he wasn't evaluating him or holding him to certain expectations until after the first of the year. I think this allowed him to focus on defense and let the game come to him. The last game against USC was a real impact game and frankly we might not have won without him. He is really an incredible talent and I love the way he is developing.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I questioned the logic of a 17 year old coming here a year early. Can he really make that much of an impact to make it worth it?

So happy to look like an idiot. It's insane how good he's playing right now.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Believe he came a year early due to the superior medical care he would be receiving at the UA in terms of recovery, so it was for medical reasons.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Huh? What?

Anyway, he’s a terrific player that just keeps getting better and better.

We are in good shape at PG at the moment and hoping Boswell has a Jason Terry-esque jump next year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:21 am Huh? What?
If that was regarding my comment:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... pac12-2023

“He hasn’t been cleared yet, but he’s doing great,” UA coach Tommy Lloyd said of Boswell, a 17-year-old point guard who reclassified from the 2023 recruiting class in order to rehab with Arizona. “He’s really come a long way in the last month or two. I don’t think he’s far off.”
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:54 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:21 am Huh? What?
If that was regarding my comment:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... pac12-2023

“He hasn’t been cleared yet, but he’s doing great,” UA coach Tommy Lloyd said of Boswell, a 17-year-old point guard who reclassified from the 2023 recruiting class in order to rehab with Arizona. “He’s really come a long way in the last month or two. I don’t think he’s far off.”
I guess I see but not sure that means he only chose Arizona because of their superior medical capabilities. It just says he reclassified so he can get his rehab done right away.

Wasn’t he coming to Arizona regardless?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Kylan will be past his prime next year. He will already be 18 by the time next years season begins
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

AZCatGirl asked why he came a year early when he couldn't contribute for a full year. I just answered it was due to medical reasons. He was always coming. Just more to do with Justin Kokoskie I imagine.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Kylan the Kid…playing for the Awe Shucks Assassin.

😁
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:41 pm Kylan will be past his prime next year. He will already be 18 by the time next years season begins
Kylan is only 17? Why have I not heard that?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:01 pm
Alieberman wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:41 pm Kylan will be past his prime next year. He will already be 18 by the time next years season begins
Kylan is only 17? Why have I not heard that?
Deaf?
Dave

Post by Dave »

Kylan was one of the few bright spots last night. He never gave up.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

My only problem with Kylan Boswell's game is that we can't clone him and put two more on the bench. He's the first legit point guard that I've been excited for in a long time. Much more than Nico and other promising point guards that we've had. He's got a wrestler's build and is quite a ball hawk on defense. Loved the way he played Boogie Ellis and Tyger. He's like a suped up version of 5 star point guard Joel Berry that played for UNC. Except that Boswell has legit NBA potential.

There was a point in the second half when Tyger hit I what I believe was a fade away jumper on Kylan. He kind of gave a little smirk to Bam Bam and went back on defense. The very next play Kylan set Tyger up for a pull back crossover and drilled a three right in his face. That smirk went away real fast. At 17 to take it to 22 year old Tyger like that...goosebumps.

If he works really hard in the offseason and stays humble, he can become one of the premiere guards in country, not just the Pac. He's got all the tools.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Kylan isn’t intimidated. Like, by anyone. He’s tough as nails, and I can’t wait to see what he does next.

Also, no mentions of Nico in this thread. Biggest disappointment of the Sean Miller era.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Kylan is great but he struggled at times with Tyger. He is our best on the ball defender and has unlimited potential. I was just a bit surprised by his struggles on defense where he is normally stellar. He is developing right before our eyes and by time he leaves will be mentioned with the likes of Simon, Bibby and Geary (for defense).
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Just for fun I have kept a stat for PG's only at Arizona. It meshes just four factors: A/TO, 3P%, Steals & Points. Using a self designed formula I rank all the Point Guards that have played at the UA since the inception of the 3 point shot. I look at both their freshman season and their last season at Arizona. Here are the top Freshman PG's (that played over 300 minutes) and their ranking:

16.6 Mike Bibby
14.1 Kylan Boswell (still can move up or down a tad).
14.1 Parker Jackson-Cartwright
14.1 Khalid Reeves
13.2 Nico Mannion
13.0 Jason Gardner
12.7 Jason Terry
12.5 Damon Stoudamire
12.2 Jerryd Bayless

As everyone can see with their own eyes Kylan is a very special point guard and these numbers include him in some pretty good company.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Interesting that Nico is rated higher than JG, who was NFOY.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Also interesting that pjc is up there, would not have guessed that.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Nico’s A/TO his senior year was off the charts.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:01 pm Nico’s A/TO his senior year was off the charts.
Nico played just one year - his A/TO was 2.06

Steve Kerr had an A/TO of 4.17 his 5th and final year (he also shot 57.3% from 3 point range that year.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Boswell has been so impressive. He keeps improving and showing glimpses of greatness. I had no expectations since he was coming off of an injury. I didn't even know if he would play at all. He has been spectacular for a 17 year old freshman.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

KaibabKat wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:11 pm
Postmaster wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:01 pm Nico’s A/TO his senior year was off the charts.
Nico played just one year - his A/TO was 2.06

Steve Kerr had an A/TO of 4.17 his 5th and final year (he also shot 57.3% from 3 point range that year.
Yeah, that was kind of a shot at Nico. He should have stuck around another few years.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

18 year old sophomore which we will hear over and over again next year
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:45 am 18 year old sophomore which we will hear over and over again next year
I dont think so but why hate on the broadcast bring it up. It is interesting and noteworthy

Every game does not have the same audience so no harm in mentioning it every game
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wow, not sure if we can say anything anymore without you jumping down our throats.

Merely pointing out on what Scheer said and how the wording will simply change
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Yeah. Someone needs to check on PHX. It wasn't long ago he was talking about blowing up spaces on campus. I'm sure Phoenix has some good crisis intervention centers.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azcat49 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:50 am Wow, not sure if we can say anything anymore without you jumping down our throats.

Not jumping down anyone's throat

I was only saying why it was said so often. Because it is a cool situation and the audience changes every game.

I have seen and heard it complained about so many times yet no one has once said why it is mentioned so many times.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:29 pm Yeah. Someone needs to check on PHX. It wasn't long ago he was talking about blowing up spaces on campus. I'm sure Phoenix has some good crisis intervention centers.
You are pure comedy gold.

I am sorry. I just realized you were a bit and not a serious person on here.

Well done..I fell for it. Good job being a parody
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

You do realize people keep mentioning it because we think it's funny ... not that anyone really cares why is always mentioned?
CardiacCats97

Post by CardiacCats97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:39 pm
azcat49 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:50 am Wow, not sure if we can say anything anymore without you jumping down our throats.

Not jumping down anyone's throat

I was only saying why it was said so often. Because it is a cool situation and the audience changes every game.

I have seen and heard it complained about so many times yet no one has once said why it is mentioned so many times.
We would have never figured it out.

Thank you for being there for us in our time of need.

Now when the members of this site who watch every game religiously hear about Kylan’s age for the 78th time we can relax having been blessed with the knowledge you so benevolently bestowed upon us.