2023-2024 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

pc in NM

Re: 2023-2024 Arizona Basketball

Post by pc in NM »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:48 am The only thing I want to see over the next few months that we haven’t really been showing in these tougher games (and I understand why) is extending the bench to like 10 guys. Playing 8 all year last year seemed to take a toll by March. I would love to keep a 10 man rotation into February and then start to tighten up the rotation
I think the MSU game exposed two weaknesses, which are certainly correctable.

Krivas, as impressive as he has been, is still raw and young, and MSU's intensity both on Defense and rebounding was more than he could handle. I believe he'll be a different player later in the season, and his ceiling is really high. I'm slightly less confident in our matchups vs. Purdue, especially rebounding, in just one month, but still think we handle them.

Our bench isn't as deep as we'd like to believe... YET. But, against "normal" competition, we can easily go ten deep. A lot of this is just exposure to Div 1 basketball. Lewis is really amazing, though, for an early season first year player!!

Both of these have to improve significantly by the postseason. Watching teams like MSU, Tenn and Marquette the last couple of days I'm struck by their fulltime intensity and ability to extend the defense. And, like us, they'll all be better in March!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I think we need a backup 4. We aren’t always going to be able to go 4-guard and Keshad is going to get in foul trouble in Pac-2.
I don’t know if it’s Pella or Pauli Mountains.
I don’t know if Vessar can do it.

Secondly, I really OB would try to dunk more.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:48 am The only thing I want to see over the next few months that we haven’t really been showing in these tougher games (and I understand why) is extending the bench to like 10 guys. Playing 8 all year last year seemed to take a toll by March. I would love to keep a 10 man rotation into February and then start to tighten up the rotation
Same, and in truth the rotation went down to 7 during the tourney season. You could tell it really wore on Kriisa and Tubelis.

Kriisa had a terrible game v. Princeton being injured, and had no ideal why Boswell wasn't out there the last 5 minutes instead of Kerr. I know woulda coulda shoulda, but UA probably would have won that game.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Good thing I’ll be there.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:19 am I know it’s next to impossible, that there will be nights when there’s foul trouble and the shots don’t fall and the other team gets ridiculously lucky, but I also think there’s the possibility of speaking things into existence…

It would be the ultimate fuck you send off from a conference that always treated us like shit to go out 20-0.

I’d settle for 19-1 just because a one-loss season hasn’t happened since Utah and Rado joined the league. In reality, I think we’ll go 17-3. Like I said, there are just those random nights when everything goes against you.
Chicat no one has ever gone 20-0 in conference. It is time and you called it.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:24 am
Chicat wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:19 am I know it’s next to impossible, that there will be nights when there’s foul trouble and the shots don’t fall and the other team gets ridiculously lucky, but I also think there’s the possibility of speaking things into existence…

It would be the ultimate fuck you send off from a conference that always treated us like shit to go out 20-0.

I’d settle for 19-1 just because a one-loss season hasn’t happened since Utah and Rado joined the league. In reality, I think we’ll go 17-3. Like I said, there are just those random nights when everything goes against you.
I always wanted to be the first team to go 18-0. Fucking Adam Spanich's bullshit two bounce shot in 1998 prevented that. I am still mad about it to this day.
I was there at USC.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Merkin wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:26 am
Same, and in truth the rotation went down to 7 during the tourney season. You could tell it really wore on Kriisa and Tubelis.

Kriisa had a terrible game v. Princeton being injured, and had no ideal why Boswell wasn't out there the last 5 minutes instead of Kerr. I know woulda coulda shoulda, but UA probably would have won that game.
Agree. I think that has to be managed in the first half also. If you plan to shrink the bench in 2nd half, the coach really needs to manage the first half minutes. But that is hard to do in a close game.

From an outside view, I’ve not been impressed with strength and conditioning of the program for a long time .
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

I've thought that for quite a while (strength and conditioning). We seemed to get more fatigued in high stakes, physical games against athletic players. We need to shore up our conditioning or it's going to catch up with us down the stretch. Ballo to me has been a disappointment. Some people call him a leader of men, but from where I stand his game is too immature. I don't like 7 footers falling down with the slightest contact and flexing on continuation baskets when you can't hit free throws. At his size, he should be playing through people, not bouncing off.

Ballo's most valuable asset is using his five years of experience and LEADING! He seemed winded towards the end and missed far too many bunnies in the second half against MSU. You can't lead if you can't hit free throws. You can't lead if you don't rebound. You can't lead if you can't hit point blank shots in crunch time. His rebounding was subpar as well. I for one can't wait to get Emmanuel Stephens on the court next year to add more athleticism and energy to the frontcourt.

I appreciate how far he's come as player, but this is his last year and we need him to be much better than what he's shown us so far.

I'm going to take a contrarian viewpoint on preparation for the tournament. Teams that are built like MSU seem to get us in tournament games, not teams like Purdue, Duke or Marquette. I think we will perform great against those type of teams in the tourney, but we generally never get to play them because some mid major upstart or MSU clone fights harder and wears us down in a big game. Teams like Purdue and Marquette are usually met in the elite 8 or FF, not the early rounds. We're built to go toe to toe against elite teams, but it's those scrappy, athletic teams that prevent us from advancing.

I like what our guards have done. I hope that Bradley continues to get stronger because we need a two headed monster at the 1 position. I agree with some of the other posters, Murauskas and Fili B could have spelled some of the players in the MSU game. We're going to need their development to help our rotation stay fresh as the season goes on.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Postmaster wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:13 pm
I think that has to be managed in the first half also. If you plan to shrink the bench in 2nd half, the coach really needs to manage the first half minutes. But that is hard to do in a close game.
Yes. In our good starts against ranked teams Tommy has the 1h latitude to insert Krivas/Bradley/Lewis. But the 2h grind in close games shortens the bench to the glaring exclusion of our Eruo bigs/wings. They'll get some more exposure v Colgate, but v Wiscy maybe not. The next 3 ranked teams will offer nada without good starter momentum. Then it's conference play.

It's not just strength and conditioning we need, but more live bullets for the Euros. Live bullets for the Euros against ranked non-com oppo is scarce as hen's teeth.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

The good thing is the euro bigs should get some good run against pac 12 competition.

So will the walk-ons.

Might not qualify as live rounds against high quality competition, but maybe could simulate a pesky mid major with something to prove.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I didn’t expect CTL to play a deep bench against these top non-conference opponents. You have to win those games first and foremost.

Still a lot of games remaining so I’m not concerned at all about the rotation come March.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

It would be encouraging in conference play if the Trollops, Condoms, and Flufferbros are ranked or close to it, and FiliB and PauliM see expanded usage into the 2h against them. Those two are going to be the marginal bench expansion to watch for, and ya gotta wonder if Tommy will be willing to risk loss as much in those games as he professes to be in these early non-com tests.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I feel like Tommy must be having Gonzaga flashbacks of needing a high quality OOC schedule because the conference is so dogshit. It'll be interesting to see how he schedules OOC in the Big 12.
dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:26 am It would be encouraging in conference play if the Trollops, Condoms, and Flufferbros are ranked or close to it, and FiliB and PauliM see expanded usage into the 2h against them. Those two are going to be the marginal bench expansion to watch for, and ya gotta wonder if Tommy will be willing to risk loss as much in those games as he professes to be in these early non-com tests.
I would certainly hope so based on his press conferences. If he really cares about winning in March and April then he should risk losing in the conference schedule as well. Otherwise he'll be a hypocrite.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Not being challenged enough in conference play could prove to be this team's undoing. It's great to play tough opponents in the non-conference but we sleep walk through the conference and get eliminated early. I'm guessing UCLA will challenge us but top to bottom the Pac 12 pretty much sucks again this year.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 4:48 pm Not being challenged enough in conference play could prove to be this team's undoing. It's great to play tough opponents in the non-conference but we sleep walk through the conference and get eliminated early. I'm guessing UCLA will challenge us but top to bottom the Pac 12 pretty much sucks again this year.
I don't know if your brain is half full or half empty. I'll go with half-assed.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Dave

Post by Dave »

I think our bench will see plenty of minutes during conference play. Our defense has the potential to completely bury teams early and often.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Early season a couple of good wins will vault you toward the top. I think we are top 10 and I think it is our defense that puts us there. Number 2 doesn't matter this early in the season but nice to have. We have many tests still to come and win or lose I hope it is a learning experience.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If AZ goes 3-0 vs Mich St, Wisconsin and Purdue... are we eligible to win the Big 10?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:12 pm If AZ goes 3-0 vs Mich St, Wisconsin and Purdue... are we eligible to win the Big 10?
I texted a few people about this, and it turns out...YES.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:12 pm If AZ goes 3-0 vs Mich St, Wisconsin and Purdue... are we eligible to win the Big 10?
It’s the Necromonger way.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

SCCats wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:48 pm
You keep what you kill?

~ Wilhoit's Law
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:00 pm
SCCats wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:48 pm
You keep what you kill?
Yup!!
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:32 am Good thing I’ll be there.
Peacock is some real bullshit by NBC Comcast, but they have a free 7 day trial. Don't pay anything for it

https://www.peacockfreetrial.com
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

prh wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 3:29 pm
Peacock is some real bullshit by NBC Comcast, but they have a free 7 day trial. Don't pay anything for it

Holy Shit I just saw this.

Was Larry Scott in charge of scheduling the broadcast for this game?

This easily could be #1 vs #2 and virtually no one will have access to watch it.

Brilliant
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I get Peacock but you guys really need to learn how to use stream east.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Peacock is alright, I got a cheap yearly deal for it
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Alieberman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:22 pm

This easily could be #1 vs #2 and virtually no one will have access to watch it.

Brilliant
Yeahbt, the bean counters at NBC are doing foot long lines and magnums of Veuve Clicquot in celebration of their good luck at buying this game. They just have to figure out how to convert all the new trial accounts into repeat business.

When was the last time there was a #1 v #2 during the regular season? UCLA v Houston in the 70's maybe?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RichardCranium wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:03 pm
Alieberman wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:22 pm

Brilliant
Yeahbt, the bean counters at NBC are doing foot long lines and magnums of Veuve Clicquot in celebration of their good luck at buying this game. They just have to figure out how to convert all the new trial accounts into repeat business.

When was the last time there was a #1 v #2 during the regular season? UCLA v Houston in the 70's maybe?
I found one as recent as 2016. At that point it had happened 40 times.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ps-history

When 12-0 Oklahoma plays at 12-1 Kansas on Monday night, Allen Fieldhouse will serve as host of the 40th episode in college hoops history featuring a matchup of No. 1 vs. No. 2. Here's EVERYTHING you need to know on the history of No. 1 vs. No. 2.

By Matt Norlander
Jan 3, 2016
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:14 am

Krivas, as impressive as he has been, is still raw and young, and MSU's intensity both on Defense and rebounding was more than he could handle. I believe he'll be a different player later in the season, and his ceiling is really high. I'm slightly less confident in our matchups vs. Purdue, especially rebounding, in just one month, but still think we handle them.

Our bench isn't as deep as we'd like to believe... YET. But, against "normal" competition, we can easily go ten deep. A lot of this is just exposure to Div 1 basketball. Lewis is really amazing, though, for an early season first year player!!

Both of these have to improve significantly by the postseason. Watching teams like MSU, Tenn and Marquette the last couple of days I'm struck by their fulltime intensity and ability to extend the defense. And, like us, they'll all be better in March!
The one thing I would add to the "weaknesses" is more urgency and execution on in bound plays. We had to take a timeout and were within an eye lash of getting a 5 second call at a critical time in the MSU game. We also changed who was inbounding the ball but that may be becomes of rotations and who was on the floor. Got to get some aggression seeking the ball in those circumstances. UCLA does a good job pressuring and so does Shaka Smart.
Last edited by TheCat on Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Does anyone know if you buy a ticket to FF if it is good for both games on Saturday?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

TheCat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:22 pm
pc in NM wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:14 am

The one thing I would add to the "weaknesses" is more urgency and execution on in bound plays. We add to take a timeout and were within an eye lash of getting a 5 second call at a critical time in the MSU game. We also changed who was inbounding the ball but that may be becomes of rotations and who was on the floor. Got to get some aggression seeking the ball in those circumstances. UCLA does a good job pressuring and so does Shaka Smart.
Maybe it was under CSM but I thought we always had the 4 inbound after a made basket.
It seemed like Thursday there multiple instances where we were unclear on who was supposed to inbound.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:04 pm Does anyone know if you buy a ticket to FF if it is good for both games on Saturday?
Should be good for all 3 games.

Back in the day I heard if your were interested in the 2nd game, a lot of times the fans of the team that loses the first game don't want to stick around for the 2nd game or the championship and you can buy their tickets cheap.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

UAEebs86 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:09 pm

I found one as recent as 2016. At that point it had happened 40 times.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ps-history

When 12-0 Oklahoma plays at 12-1 Kansas on Monday night, Allen Fieldhouse will serve as host of the 40th episode in college hoops history featuring a matchup of No. 1 vs. No. 2. Here's EVERYTHING you need to know on the history of No. 1 vs. No. 2.

By Matt Norlander
Jan 3, 2016
huh. whooda thunk it?
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Sweet thanks!!
This way I can watch it on the TV with Roku instead of my phone.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Ticketmaster doesn’t have any lower level tickets for the Purdue game (upper level view is terrible at Gainbridge Fieldhouse), and Stubhub prices are about $500 for 2 lower level tickets. Are we thinking those prices go down closer to game day?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:04 pm Does anyone know if you buy a ticket to FF if it is good for both games on Saturday?
You have to buy all session tickets for all 3 games. If you buy just semi's that should get you both games on Sat. Also looking right now...the fees per ticket are insane, $160-190 per ticket

I bought 4 all session tickets last time it was in Glendale thru the NCAA lottery for $825 and they put me in the last row at the very top. I sold 2 tickets for $1,200 and got paid to go to all 3 games with my Dad. Might splurge this year...
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Wouldn't it be cool if Bo Ryan came to McKale (flanked by Stank and Pekker) to watch us beat down on Wiscy?

~ Wilhoit's Law
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Bo Ryan lives in Palm springs, so not that far away, he might have seen us beat down MSU, probly advance scouted us from msu's bench all Connor Stallions-esque. Can't trust any of those big 10 schools.
-Norlander.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Add UCLA, USC, Oregon, Washington? - that's 11 wins in the B1G.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

RichardCranium wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:37 pm
Purdue might be the only team with more than 11 wins this year in conf.

The Big 10 is kinda like the pac this year, one of the two best teams in the country, a few 7-10 seeds, and hot garbage.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:30 am
RichardCranium wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:37 pm
Purdue might be the only team with more than 11 wins this year in conf.

The Big 10 is kinda like the pac this year, one of the two best teams in the country, a few 7-10 seeds, and hot garbage.
Michigan State is better than their record suggests. Think they'll end up being at least a 4/5 seed. Illinois is good, not great. And OSU has been playing well. Nebraska/Creighton is an interesting match up this weekend.

I don't think the B1G is as bad as the Pac has been at times. They're just a top heavy league with 3 to 4 solid teams who could peak later in the year.

The Big 12 is likely to be the stronger conference in 2024-25, which I'm excited about.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

The Condoms will play us harder than they did the Jesuits.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:08 pm The Condoms will play us harder than they did the Jesuits.
They should have Bronny available by then. He’s pretty good.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:09 am
dovecanyoncat wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:08 pm The Condoms will play us harder than they did the Jesuits.
They should have Bronny available by then. He’s pretty good.
Not so sure of him as a factor, but Conference opponents/coaches know us better than anyone.

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

#1 in ESPIN Power Rankings - with the usual ESPIN hesitation re: anything Arizona...
1. Arizona Wildcats (7-0)
Previous ranking: 2
This week: vs. Wisconsin (Saturday)

Arizona rises to the top spot just as its nonconference schedule really turns into high gear. The Wildcats host the Badgers on Saturday before heading to Indianapolis to play Purdue on Dec. 16, facing Alabama in Phoenix on Dec. 20 and going to Las Vegas to play Florida Atlantic on Dec. 23. Tommy Lloyd's team has proved itself up to this point, but if the Cats are still standing at No. 1 on Christmas, they certainly will have earned it.

2. Kansas Jayhawks (7-1)

3. Purdue Boilermakers (7-1)

4. Houston Cougars (8-0)

12. Florida Atlantic Owls (7-1)

16. Wisconsin Badgers (6-2)
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... teams-lose
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

About time. Can't believe it's been that long.
-Norlander.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Back to where we belong.

Knowing CTL he will use it as a motivator - "means nothing to be #1 in Dec.". I want to skin some Badger ass next Saturday for obvious reasons.