2023-2024 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CalStateTempe

Re: Regarding Being Numero Uno

Post by CalStateTempe »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:52 pm It's great recognition, and I love it. But, it's not like we're going undefeated this year. We want to stack up absolutely every last win that we can. No more patsies left, so we've got Purdue, Alabama, and FAU on neutral courts before starting Pac-12 play. Hard to say when we might have a bad shooting game with average effort from fatigue while we run up against a hot-shooting team along with bad refs all at once, but it obviously happens. Hate to see it while #1 in a frickin' lame Pac-12 road game while dweeby fans rush their floor and slobber on the camera lens. But it's also hard to "pick your poison" anywhere else. Lute always used to say it was kind of good to not have the #1 target on your back, as long as you're ranked in the Top 10 and you get lots of recognition through the season. In any event, the next two weeks should be pretty interesting.
I will go to my grave thinking that we would’ve been undefeated and be cutting nets in 2014 had bash, not broken his foot at Cal.
OriginalAZ

Re: 2023-2024 Arizona Basketball

Post by OriginalAZ »

Jefe wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:11 pm I've been watching Final Four all sessions ticket prices on the 3 major ticket sites for the last month and pulled the trigger today!
I've been thinking about this too. Where did you find the best prices?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Spill the beans Jefe!
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'm too afraid if I buy a ticket now I'll jinx the team and we wont make it.

Not even joking.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

AZCatGirl wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:18 pm I'm too afraid if I buy a ticket now I'll jinx the team and we wont make it.

Not even joking.
Oh I hear ya. If you do anything out of norm within this season's sample it can destroy the universe.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

AZCatGirl wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:18 pm I'm too afraid if I buy a ticket now I'll jinx the team and we wont make it.

Not even joking.
Same
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:46 pm

Not even joking.
Same
I'm in that bind: It can only be at home OTA or streamed by Fishclamps, both of must which must have Jeffries audio, or at the club during cardio with no audio. The universe rests on a 4 legged table, and it's all about me.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Frybry02 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:23 pm
Jefe wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:11 pm I've been watching Final Four all sessions ticket prices on the 3 major ticket sites for the last month and pulled the trigger today!
Me too but I have many pulled the trigger. What site did you decide on?
OriginalAZ wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:55 pmI've been thinking about this too. Where did you find the best prices?
Was watching Ticketmaster, StubHub, VividSeats, SeatGeek and Gametime. Similar seats posted on all of them but VividSeats wound up being $100 cheaper in the end over SeatGeek on the same exact seats. Every website and section has different fees.

If you do end up buying upper seats, pay attention to the Ring of Honor section up top in the 400s. In the pic below, they are the small 3 row sections just above that red bar going across the top and just above the suites. They are 20 feet or more lower than row 1 up top but avoid sections 114, 424 & 432 as those are family friendly sections meaning no alcohol allowed. I assumed that would be the case for March Madness but there were some really cheap seats in 424 I almost snagged until I read that. They were $1,000 more overall too which is only $83 per ticket per game

BTW I bought four 2017 Final Four all sessions tickets in section 414 for $825. Sold 2 all session tickets for $1,200 so I got paid to take my Dad to all 3 games. Didn't know until we got there the NCAA lottery put me in the very last row. I had a chain link fence behind me and the players were ants.

Wound up sitting right next to the people I sold the tickets to and they didn't mind one bit. Except when the final buzzer went off

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Oh and in 2017 I was given digital tickets for all 3 games separately. 4 tix for SC/Gonzaga, 4 tix for Oregon/NC and then 4 tix for the Championship.

My 2024 seats just got delivered and its only 4 tix for both Final Four games and 4 tix for the Championship. I was able to sell the Final Four games separately in 2017. Not a big deal as there is only an hour between games but I might be able to make more selling to fans who just want to see their game. They don't kick you out so you just need to find an open seat if you stay. I advertised them in Phx Craigslist as well as the local teams Craigslist city. Had tons of interest

It is quite a site to see this at a basketball game. Notice the section on the left no one is sitting in. They do not warn you which sections your view will be blocked in. Imagine paying $1,000 for a seat and not being able to use the seat

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Arizona is #1 in The Athletic's Power Rankings.

This is good (emphases mine):
College basketball power rankings: Arizona is No. 1, and Oklahoma cracks top 10

So, it’s gonna be that kind of season, huh?

For the third straight week, these Power Rankings have a new No. 1 team. (Welcome to the club, Arizona!) But the churn isn’t just atop our rankings; it’s throughout, as now — a reasonable five-ish weeks into the season — we can put to bed any premature preseason expectations and actually look at results. Michigan State? Maybe just not that good! Duke? Treading water, but hardly looking like a national title contender. That’s how you end up with, as of this writing, at least 11 games where unranked teams beat ranked ones by double-digits. The good news, though, is that we might finally be close to some clarity. Per ESPN’s John Gasaway, each of the last 19 national champions was ranked in the top 12 of the AP’s sixth weekly poll.

1. Arizona (8-0)

Last week: No. 3

We here at Power Rankings, Inc. aren’t so much behind the times as we are patient. AP voters had already anointed Tommy Lloyd’s team the best in the country, but we needed a slightly larger sample size. Until this week, after all, the Wildcats had only played two top-100 teams — at Duke, vs. Michigan State — and neither of those wins have exactly aged magnificently. (We didn’t intend for the 4-5 Spartans to catch so many strays, we promise, but when you have the worst start of any preseason top-5 team in the last 40 years … it’s not exactly undeserved.) Arizona vs. Wisconsin, then, would be the test. The Wildcats versus, arguably, the best team they’ve seen all season.

About that.

This was not a game; this was a nationally-televised beatdown, 98-73, a 40-minute showcase of the country’s best, most balanced team. Arizona averaged 1.29 PPP against a Badgers group that, per KenPom, is top-30 nationally in adjusted defensive efficiency and length. All five of Arizona’s starters scored in double figures, which they now average for the season. In eight games, six different players have led or tied for the team lead in scoring. Arizona is the only team with a top-5 adjusted offense and defense per KenPom’s rankings. The only reason why the Wildcats might not have staying power in this spot is their schedule; their next three games are against a trio of top-20 KenPom teams: Purdue, Alabama, and Florida Atlantic, all on (somewhat) neutral courts. It’s probably unfair to expect anyone to get through a gauntlet like that untouched, but if any team could … — Brendan Marks

4. Purdue (9-1)

Last week: 4

Considering we have *checks calendar* another four months of debating if Purdue’s guards are good enough, can we consider something more unique? Something truly rare? Something we, no kidding, might not see the rest of this season?

Zach Edey facing a legitimate challenge.

Because that’s what Arizona’s frontcourt is. Fun trivia question: When was the last time a team held Edey to single digits? That would be … Iowa, back on Jan. 27 … of 2022. You’re reading that correctly; it’s been almost two calendar years since a team held the 7-foot-4 Canadian under 10 points. But could Arizona? It seems laughable, almost rude to even consider, but we will.

Oumar Ballo, all 7 feet and 260 (generously-listed) pounds of him, is the most physical big man Purdue has seen this season, and we say that with no disrespect to Dickinson, Gonzaga’s Graham Ike, or Marquette’s Oso Ighodaro. Ballo is just a different animal in the low post, one of the few players experienced and strong enough to reasonably compete with Edey, who is averaging an unreal 10.6 fouls drawn per 40 minutes, according to KenPom. (And if officials were calling every foul committed against Edey, it might be more like 15 per 40.) It isn’t just Ballo, though; Arizona freshman Motiejus Krivas — whom his coach almost solely refers to by last name — is among the bigger backup centers in the country, at a hulking 7-foot-2 and 260 pounds. Normally, Edey feasts once he gets a team’s primary big or two into foul trouble, but the Wildcats can just take out one giant and replace him with another, if that’s what it comes to. And Edey might just do his normal thing — drop something like 28 points, 16 rebounds, a couple deflating blocks — and render this whole point moot. But that the question is worth asking shows just how good a game this should be. — Marks
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Dark Mode for the USC game Jan 17. Wear black or buy the glow in the dark black shirt for $15 at the A-Store(shirt and ticket for $50). That will be a unique look and I think I like it already. Get rid of the damn candy cane stripe outs

OriginalAZ

Post by OriginalAZ »

Jefe wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:13 pm
Frybry02 wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:23 pm
Me too but I have many pulled the trigger. What site did you decide on?
OriginalAZ wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:55 pmI've been thinking about this too. Where did you find the best prices?
Was watching Ticketmaster, StubHub, VividSeats, SeatGeek and Gametime. Similar seats posted on all of them but VividSeats wound up being $100 cheaper in the end over SeatGeek on the same exact seats. Every website and section has different fees.

If you do end up buying upper seats, pay attention to the Ring of Honor section up top in the 400s. In the pic below, they are the small 3 row sections just above that red bar going across the top and just above the suites. They are 20 feet or more lower than row 1 up top but avoid sections 114, 424 & 432 as those are family friendly sections meaning no alcohol allowed. I assumed that would be the case for March Madness but there were some really cheap seats in 424 I almost snagged until I read that. They were $1,000 more overall too which is only $83 per ticket per game

BTW I bought four 2017 Final Four all sessions tickets in section 414 for $825. Sold 2 all session tickets for $1,200 so I got paid to take my Dad to all 3 games. Didn't know until we got there the NCAA lottery put me in the very last row. I had a chain link fence behind me and the players were ants.

Wound up sitting right next to the people I sold the tickets to and they didn't mind one bit. Except when the final buzzer went off

I broke down and bought 2 seats in section 445 row 4 on Ticketmaster. Ended up paying $1788 after taxes and fees. I justify it by it being 3 games instead of one. Still hurts the wallet. I went to the last Final 4 when it was here and it was a blast even though North Carolina won.
I had entered the lottery for tickets this year but didn't get selected.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Jefe wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:24 pm Dark Mode for the USC game Jan 17. Wear black or buy the glow in the dark black shirt for $15 at the A-Store(shirt and ticket for $50). That will be a unique look and I think I like it already. Get rid of the damn candy cane stripe outs

Does it say somewhere it glows in the dark? I see the shirt on the site but it doesn't really have any type of description.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Got to makeup that budget short fall somehow. We will also have a Ghost White night also. lol.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Glow in the dark? Are they having UV lights during breaks?
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

They're also having a dark mode night for the women at half the price. Though with all the drama going on over there I'm not surprised that hasn't been mentioned yet. But at least the shirt can technically be used for two games.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I wish we’d lose the gimmicks and just go out and kick some ass. We are the #1 team in the country.

Sorry if I sound like an old fart, which I am.😁
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I think they are trying to drum up interest and revenue where they can. The hope here is that the people who have tickets will actually come and buy concessions, parking, and even possibly the t-shirt. Those empty seats we are seeing aren’t just an eyesore on TV. They represent popcorn, nachos, drinks, apparel etc that aren’t being bought on gameday.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:33 am I wish we’d lose the gimmicks and just go out and kick some ass. We are the #1 team in the country.

Next thing ya know, you’ll be bitching about kids these days and their music.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

wyo-cat wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:14 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:33 am I wish we’d lose the gimmicks and just go out and kick some ass. We are the #1 team in the country.

Next thing ya know, you’ll be bitching about kids these days and their music.
You call that music??!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Taking a comment from the "Caleb Love" thread, and posing two more general questions here:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:21 pm That is amazing that those kids can have an Arizona legend on speed dial!, PS, I read that whole thing in Fanta's voice in my head, and inserted random facts about and comparisons to the big east where appropriate.
It was a fun read and made me laugh.
So who is the current "mentor" for each of the players??

Who should be the "mentor" for each player if you had your druthers??
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Not Gil.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I thought Damon would be great for Boswell, except that he’s a head coach…

― Kinky Friedman
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

TJ??
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Fishclamps wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:22 pmDoes it say somewhere it glows in the dark? I see the shirt on the site but it doesn't really have any type of description.
On the AZ site it does. Assuming they will do something with the stadium lights to make this even cooler

https://arizonawildcats.evenue.net/cgi- ... 6e8aacb935

Dark Mode activated! Join us in McKale for our Dark Mode game on January 17th as Men's Basketball takes on USC. Fans are encouraged to wear black. Purchase your ticket package for your ticket and a tee to secure your limited-edition glow in the dark, Dark Mode shirt with a discounted ticket to the game. T-shirt pickup will be available after purchase starting December 15th at the A-Store outside of McKale and will be available 48 hours after packet purchase. The A-Store will be closed for pick up December 23rd-29th.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Jefe wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:19 pm Oh and in 2017 I was given digital tickets for all 3 games separately. 4 tix for SC/Gonzaga, 4 tix for Oregon/NC and then 4 tix for the Championship.

My 2024 seats just got delivered and its only 4 tix for both Final Four games and 4 tix for the Championship. I was able to sell the Final Four games separately in 2017. Not a big deal as there is only an hour between games but I might be able to make more selling to fans who just want to see their game. They don't kick you out so you just need to find an open seat if you stay. I advertised them in Phx Craigslist as well as the local teams Craigslist city. Had tons of interest

It is quite a site to see this at a basketball game. Notice the section on the left no one is sitting in. They do not warn you which sections your view will be blocked in. Imagine paying $1,000 for a seat and not being able to use the seat

Did the tickets come with telescopes?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:19 pm with a discounted ticket to the game.
$11 for the shirt, and the tickets are $38 for N Upper with a $3 email delivery charge.

Cripes, $3 for email delivery? What are they, Ticketmaster?

Looks like the remaining tickets are normally $55 and up + $7 charge.

https://arizonawildcats.evenue.net/cgi- ... =ev_uaz-ts

So that in case I would probably buy a frickin' shirt.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Tommy got out coached today. and the team got outplayed. Larson really crapped the bed today. Very disappointing. I think the game plan for many teams will be to limit Edey but after today Purdue proved other players on their team can hurt you. Arizona learned that the hard way today. That's what makes them a championship caliber team. The defensive lapses today were concerning to say the least. That must be addressed. I'd really like to see a little more improvement in our defensive switches. Other teams now have the blue print how to beat us.
mofo

Post by mofo »

I think I know the blue print you're talking about: 1) Have the National Player of the Year on your roster; 2). Have your starting guards score 230% of their scoring average.

I'm a little concerned that from here on out we're gonna see every team employ these tactics.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

CO coming in with a shit filled diaper. Funny how that same team CO is slurping managed to lose to a 16 seed last year. Shit happens, their guards punched way above their weight, we punched way below ours. That’s the breaks, but I’m sure co wet the bed with the result.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Down to #4 on KenPom. We just got to learn from the experience and get better
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not at all worried about this team. They were never going to win all of these non-conference games, and this was arguably the hardest one.

Learn from it, keep getting better, peak in March.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Was there any explanation for Kylan’s benching? If there’s anyone on the team who heats up the more minutes they get, it’s him.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Team was -19 in his 27 minutes on the floor. He was stinking up the joint.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

KaibabKat wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:41 pm Team was -19 in his 27 minutes on the floor. He was stinking up the joint.
Usually Tommy lets players play through struggles. This seemed more pointed. I was hoping maybe someone could provide what Tommy may have said about it after the game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Quicker turnaround this time. Bama on Wednesday and then FAU on Saturday. Huge week coming up.

Winning both would be quite a way to head into the Pac season.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:12 pm Was there any explanation for Kylan’s benching? If there’s anyone on the team who heats up the more minutes they get, it’s him.
He couldn't defend anyone for shit. He also apparently banged up one of his knees a bit. Don't think it's overly serious, but likely impacted him defensively for sure.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

The 7 days that started yesterday will be the most challenging for Arizona this year and as challenging that I can remember in a long time. What I like most is that all 3 play different styles with Alabama being very pressure orientated and handsy and fouls a lot. That can just wear you down. It will also address our earlier problem of getting the ball in bounds cleanly. FAU has a very experienced team coming off a final four run. Also very athletic. We are going to understand a lot about this teams strengths and weaknesses after this week.

Consider it a roadmap for improvement.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Not sure if mentioned elsewhere, but we finally got some help from MSU yesterday. They absolutely blitzed undefeated Baylor.

On Bama, I think their pressure-oriented style will open up a TON of fast breaks for our guards, provided we take care of the ball. We’ll get a few good practices in and be ready for the Tide.

After Purdue, FAU could end up being the 2nd best team we face in the regular season. Huge game for both teams next weekend.

Absolutely loving this brutal non-conference schedule.

Bear down!
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

We lost to a #3 team with possibly the biggest matchup problem in the country on their virtual home court 1500 miles away by under double digits. That's not sugar-coating, it's just data. Toughest game on our schedule. And we played poorly on our own, versus being forced into it. As somebody pointed out, any rematch would likely be played on our virtual home court in the Final Four in Phoenix. It would be interesting to see how differently/better we'd play, given a second chance. No tragedy in losing the #1 bulls-eye, at least for a while. I won't be happy if we don't get at least a split (and probably a sweep) in our next two. But we'll be battle-hardened for the Pac. Hard to see more than a couple of officiating screw-job road losses in the league this year, and conference play starts next week.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Ouch.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

We're still #2 in the NET rankings. I was surprised Kansas isn't in the top 10
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

84Cat wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:37 am We're still #2 in the NET rankings. I was surprised Kansas isn't in the top 10
Meh. #1 Seed contenders right now look like: Kansas, Purdue, Marquette, UConn, Houston, Kentucky and then Arizona in that order. Two teams will be two-seeds out of that group and the Pac-12 SOS is crap and Houston will get the benefit of a strong conference schedule because their OOC schedule has been trash.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:17 am
84Cat wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:37 am We're still #2 in the NET rankings. I was surprised Kansas isn't in the top 10
Meh. #1 Seed contenders right now look like: Kansas, Purdue, Marquette, UConn, Houston, Kentucky and then Arizona in that order.
:lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Man I’d love to face KU in the tourney this year. Not afraid of them at all.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

enfuego wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:26 amOuch.
Don't clench. Just relax. Let it happen and try to enjoy it.

~ Wilhoit's Law
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It’s really a shame we only have Keshad and Caleb for one season. These guys are ballers, and getting them for even two seasons would’ve been a game changer.

Still, they’re hungry, and they’ve got a great opportunity to do something special in their final college season.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:52 pm It’s really a shame we only have Keshad and Caleb for one season. These guys are ballers, and getting them for even two seasons would’ve been a game changer.

Still, they’re hungry, and they’ve got a great opportunity to do something special in their final college season.
Isn’t Love back next year? ….Unless he goes to the NBA
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MountainCat wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:32 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:52 pm It’s really a shame we only have Keshad and Caleb for one season. These guys are ballers, and getting them for even two seasons would’ve been a game changer.

Isn’t Love back next year? ….Unless he goes to the NBA
Think this is his final year of eligibility. We also have KJ and Jaden waiting to get minutes, plus Jamari coming in next year. I don’t think Zoom would even be considering AZ if there was a chance of Love being back.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:58 am
Chicat wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:12 pm Was there any explanation for Kylan’s benching? If there’s anyone on the team who heats up the more minutes they get, it’s him.
He couldn't defend anyone for shit. He also apparently banged up one of his knees a bit. Don't think it's overly serious, but likely impacted him defensively for sure.
He also took 9 shots to make 6 points while the opposing pg went for 26 points. He didn't play well against Wisky either. We need him to step up to get to the ff