2023-2024 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: 2023-2024 Arizona Basketball

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:19 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:32 pm Love is gonna make a run at our pantheon of great dunkers before all's said and done this season. AG, D-Will, Iggy, Hassan, Mathurin, RJ, Chase...who else?
Rawle...of course.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I thought Sean had some good ones and basically started it all.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'm glad they're warning us in advance.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

LuteIsGod wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 2:01 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:32 pm Love is gonna make a run at our pantheon of great dunkers before all's said and done this season. AG, D-Will, Iggy, Hassan, Mathurin, RJ, Chase...who else?
John Ash
You are probably thinking of Beau Mulbach

https://youtu.be/P2vTNRqT6u8

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:04 pm I thought Sean had some good ones and basically started it all.
Herm Harris started it all - first player to dunk in McKale (missed his first attempt and immediately went to the bench).
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

The dunk being a highlight now.

The dunk was only banned for 7 years, especially during the Lew Alcindor years.

Before that it was considered a sign of disrespect and could get you injured.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:23 pm The dunk being a highlight now.

The dunk was only banned for 7 years, especially during the Lew Alcindor years.

Before that it was considered a sign of disrespect and could get you injured.
Slight correction - it was banned for 10 years (‘67-‘76) and it was banned because of Lew/Kareem. Btw, it was also banned in High School as well.

Kareem said it was a subtle form of discrimination. Some pro’s said there was an unwritten rule to take out the opponent’s legs on anyone trying to dunk so it was frowned upon.

But the rulemakers who outlawed the dunk said “it did not display any basketball skill - just a height advantage.”
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Went to a Montana Grizzlies game back in the 70s during the ban. One of our guys dunked during warm-ups and got a technical. Now you know why we old farts are weird: the world was weird when we were you.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Another reason they banned it was that the "glass" was actually glass and could and did shatter with disastrous results. Not all regulations are laid down by party poopers to spoil the fun.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

RichardCranium wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:26 pm Another reason they banned it was that the "glass" was actually glass and could and did shatter with disastrous results. Not all regulations are laid down by party poopers to spoil the fun.
Never heard that and don’t think that was a major reason for the ban. Were high school and college kids even strong enough?

First time I heard of the backboard shattering was Daryl Dawkins with the ‘76ers.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:11 am
RichardCranium wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:26 pm Another reason they banned it was that the "glass" was actually glass and could and did shatter with disastrous results. Not all regulations are laid down by party poopers to spoil the fun.
Never heard that and don’t think that was a major reason for the ban. Were high school and college kids even strong enough?

First time I heard of the backboard shattering was Daryl Dawkins with the ‘76ers.
Why Did the NCAA Ban Dunking for 10 Years?

Today, the dunk is one of the most exciting moments in sports. That's why it's hard to believe the NCAA banned dunking for 10 years not that long ago.

https://www.sportscasting.com/why-did-t ... -10-years/

The NCAA banned the slam before the 1967-1968 college season for a couple of reasons. In the organization’s words, the dunk “was not a skillful shot,” and the rules committee said the ban was also a result of injury concerns.

Their report cited 1,500 events where a player was hurt around the backboard during the previous year.

While the NCAA never admitted it explicitly, many speculated the NCAA enacted the ban because of UCLA’s Lew Alcindor (he would later change his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar). Alcindor regularly dunked over his opponents his first year in college.

The media nicknamed it the “Lew Alcindor rule,” which prohibited players from making shots above and directly over the cylinder.

Alcindor’s coach at UCLA, the legendary John Wooden, said the NCAA indicated Alcindor was not the reason for the rule. However, the officials did admit his name came up in discussions.

Wooden, who was known for focusing on the game’s fundamentals, explained to his star center, it didn’t matter if he was the reason for the rule, it’s implementation was “going to make him a better basketball player.”

Alcindor didn’t necessarily agree. He thought the move had nothing to do with injuries and more to do with race.

“To me the new ‘no-dunk’ rule smacks a little of discrimination,” he told the Chicago Defender. “When you look at it … most of the people who dunk are black athletes.”
IMNSHO, at the time and continuing 'til this day, if Lew Alcindor had been white, "no problem"!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Yeah I call BS RC
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

OTOH, IMNSHO, the dunk has had a similar negative impact of basketball as has the homerun on baseball.

We know every highly rated American HS recruit can do awesome dunks, because of the highlight film and stupid dunk contests at every level... But, can they play basketball??? Not that well, in way to many cases!!

Fortunately, we have a great international recruiter as out head coach - BTFD!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So with Pac play beginning, how well do we need to do in league to secure a 1 seed? As it stands, we've got at least six teams competing for 1 seeds: Purdue, KU, Houston, AZ, UConn, Tennessee. I expect UNC and/or Kentucky could become part of this conversation by March. The teams beyond these eight would need the higher ranked teams to stumble in order to sneak into the 1 seed conversation. Looking at just the current top 4, Houston has tough games coming up in the next few weeks, some on the road. Purdue could go a while without losing. KU plays a surprisingly good OU team in a couple weeks. And we've got our toughest league opponent next week in Utah.

Given how weak the Pac is, with hardly any good OOC wins aside from what we've done, it feels like we'd need to put up a pretty spectacular league record in order to lock in a 1 seed. If we slip up and lose to any Pac bottom feeders like Cal or ucla, our key seeding metrics would take a bigger hit than usual. We have five remaining Q1 opponents on our schedule. Compare this to Purdue (8), Houston (11), KU (10), UConn (10), and Tennessee (9).

While I'd love to get a 1 seed, this season I'm more concerned with staying healthy, tightening up our weak spots, developing our bench players, and going into the tourney as one of the best defensive teams in the country.
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

Don't see a 1 seed now...
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

UAdevil wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:05 pm Don't see a 1 seed now...
Very doubtful. All these yo yo's proclaiming Arizona would run the the table in the conference. Nope.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Note to self: don’t count your long-term season prospects until they hatch.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

It looks like we dropped 1 whole spot in KenPom, down to #4. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the Net rankings
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

How do we win at Cameron and lose at Maples?

This team’s either going to lose in the 1st round or make the Final Four.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Wildcat kryptonite:

CSM - Zone defenses

CTL - High ball screens
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:28 pm How do we win at Cameron and lose at Maples?

This team’s either going to lose in the 1st round or make the Final Four.
My money is on the former.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Ding, ding, we have a winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:28 am
IMNSHO, at the time and continuing 'til this day, if Lew Alcindor had been white, "no problem"!!!
Without a doubt, but it is pretty cool that you are so dominating they name a rule after you. Wilt Chamberlain too probably had more NBA rule changes based on a single person than anyone.

Along with keeping tabs on all his groupies.

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

pc in NM wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:28 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:11 am

Why Did the NCAA Ban Dunking for 10 Years?

Today, the dunk is one of the most exciting moments in sports. That's why it's hard to believe the NCAA banned dunking for 10 years not that long ago.

https://www.sportscasting.com/why-did-t ... -10-years/

The NCAA banned the slam before the 1967-1968 college season for a couple of reasons. In the organization’s words, the dunk “was not a skillful shot,” and the rules committee said the ban was also a result of injury concerns.

Their report cited 1,500 events where a player was hurt around the backboard during the previous year.

While the NCAA never admitted it explicitly, many speculated the NCAA enacted the ban because of UCLA’s Lew Alcindor (he would later change his name to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar). Alcindor regularly dunked over his opponents his first year in college.

The media nicknamed it the “Lew Alcindor rule,” which prohibited players from making shots above and directly over the cylinder.

Alcindor’s coach at UCLA, the legendary John Wooden, said the NCAA indicated Alcindor was not the reason for the rule. However, the officials did admit his name came up in discussions.

Wooden, who was known for focusing on the game’s fundamentals, explained to his star center, it didn’t matter if he was the reason for the rule, it’s implementation was “going to make him a better basketball player.”

Alcindor didn’t necessarily agree. He thought the move had nothing to do with injuries and more to do with race.

“To me the new ‘no-dunk’ rule smacks a little of discrimination,” he told the Chicago Defender. “When you look at it … most of the people who dunk are black athletes.”
I don't doubt that the 'official story' is what you say it is.

But I saw Eddie Myers break the glass during a game in the Pueblo High School gym in (must have been 1966 or 67). Myers went on to play for a poor Arizona team, get drafted, and spend no time in the league. He played for the Harlem Globetrotters for a while IIRC.

Backboards are expensive. High school couldn't afford that happening on a regular basis. The stupid thing about Eddie Myers smash was the Pueblo gym (nor any others I can remember in Tucson) had seats un the endzone. They didn't need clear backboards.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:37 am Yeah I call BS RC
See my reply above.

I saw Eddie Myers break the glass during a game in the Pueblo High School gym in 1966 or 67.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

RichardCranium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:12 pm
UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 9:37 am Yeah I call BS RC
See my reply above.

I saw Eddie Myers break the glass during a game in the Pueblo High School gym in 1966 or 67.
But fiberglass (not glass) were few and far between in high schools in the ‘60’s.

I played in the late ‘70’s and even though we had a fiberglass backboard we might have had 1-2 players who could even dunk reasonably hard. It was usually that “barely over the rim” type of dunk.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Arizona's last full game playing with "Poise" (CTL's term) was vs Purdue. In that game, Purdue also played with "poise", and sports fans had an epic battle - surely, one of the best of the season.

The first half vs Cal was excellent "poise"; the second half was merely going through the motions...

Since Purdue, Arizona has been either/or taken out of it's offensive game plan, or been unable to defend effectively. Yesterday, even occasional 25 minutes of good defense broke down giving Stanford open shots and layups...

I'm discouraged to say, that Arizona's team is devolving to be LESS than the sum of its parts. I don't think its coaching; it's a lack of "poise" and team play; players reverting to one-one-one, over-dribbling and over-confident performances...

And, while we'll certainly have better personnel vs virtually every opponent the remainder of the regular season, we're likely to struggle in several games, and, while the conventional wisdom is that fall ball is not predictive of tournament play, it does often reveal the weaknesses that will be exploited in a six-game single elimination format.

Meanwhile, Arizona basketball is supposed to be one, and probably is, of the best things to look forward to as the New Year dawns!

IMNSHO, "BTFD!!!!" means having the competitive sense and high standards of Bill Walton every minute of every game!

Just, as they say, sayin'
Last edited by pc in NM on Mon Jan 01, 2024 12:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

― Kinky Friedman
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Still top 10.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Dropped to 4 in kenpom #8 O eff, #7 D eff.
Not sure how that's possible after giving up 100 to FURD of all places.!!!!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Our wins over Duke, MSU, Wisconsin and Bama are no joke, and they’ll continue to pay dividends all season long. We’re set up well for a high tournament seed.

The only thing that can change this is a truly disastrous Pac season, where games like yesterday’s become the norm over the next several weeks. I don’t expect that to happen.
TheCatInTheHat

Colorado Scout

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

They're 11-2 overall and 2-0 in conference play, neither of which can we say, although with a little different strength of schedule. They split a pair with RIchmond and Florida St at Daytona. Then, they lost a rivalry game at Colorado St, playing against a former teammate who could provide a nice scouting report. They beat Miami in Brooklyn, and then swept the Washingtons at Boulder. One point is that we don't go to Boulder this season, which is nice, but they're also motivated by their one and only shot at us in McKale. Of course, I'm sure we're also pretty motivated after giving up 100 at Stanford. Their top five scorers average a combined 45% from beyond the arc, with 6-8 freshman Cody Williams leading the way at 60%. Otherwise, no doubt the same Tad Boyle bump, grind, and grab defense and rebounding with running commentary for the refs, and some aggressive drives to the basket.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Better than I thought.

the UA has dropped to 226th out 362 Division I teams in 3-point field goal defense.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... IZiU9on9Is
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Does Chris Rodger's have any eligibility lefr?
Last edited by KaibabKat on Tue Jan 02, 2024 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:35 pm Better than I thought.

the UA has dropped to 226th out 362 Division I teams in 3-point field goal defense.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... IZiU9on9Is
This is just bizarre to me. If we’re not significantly improved in this area by March, gonna be hard not to blame our coaching. This is a very coachable skill.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I've been wondering about this, are we really that bad at 3 point D? Or have we just hit a few teams on flukey great nights where the were just hitting any garbage they threw up?
I can't tell by watching cause I'm no coach but our 3 losses, there were multiple guys on each team that went off! Is our 3 point defense that much worse than northwesterns or Florida gulf coast?
Just curious what someone who knows what they are talking about thinks, not just what analytics says.
I'm not saying that anyone else who has commented here on this doesn't, just that I'm sure there's someone that really knows their stuff and has been observing this.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I was listening to Andy Patton the host for Locked On Zags. He said the Zags have had a long history of not being able to defend the 3 point line.
https://youtu.be/VO7YVqiez08?si=ugynmwgcikAAIUXO
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Personally, I'd be in favor of moving the line out again, to the NBA distance, as I think college players have progressed to a level where it's a little out of balance. It's kind of like the height of the pitching mound, how tight the ball is wound, and how much you test for PEDs when you've got too many 60 homer guys. But the current rules are what we've got. FAU is a great shooting team, and Stanford had two guys who shot the lights out. And we have another season of having to tip-toe on the road with a number of the refs in this league. We scheduled a lot of games on the road, maybe too many. Flying out at somebody late does absolutely nothing, as good shooters are locked on the rim. So positioning really matters, and you have to risk opening up the middle a little more. "Run With Us" is great, but you have to make sure your players aren't saving themselves for offense too much or cheating a step or two to sneak out on the break. I think Lloyd can adjust positioning and re-emphasize defense, even if he has to re-allocate minutes a bit to keep players fresh. And you block/harass a right-handed shooter with your left, and vice-versa. And if somebody is built more like Gail Goodrich than Jerry West, you need to take that into account.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:44 am Personally, I'd be in favor of moving the line out again, to the NBA distance, as I think college players have progressed to a level where it's a little out of balance. It's kind of like the height of the pitching mound, how tight the ball is wound, and how much you test for PEDs when you've got too many 60 homer guys. But the current rules are what we've got. FAU is a great shooting team, and Stanford had two guys who shot the lights out. And we have another season of having to tip-toe on the road with a number of the refs in this league. We scheduled a lot of games on the road, maybe too many. Flying out at somebody late does absolutely nothing, as good shooters are locked on the rim. So positioning really matters, and you have to risk opening up the middle a little more. "Run With Us" is great, but you have to make sure your players aren't saving themselves for offense too much or cheating a step or two to sneak out on the break. I think Lloyd can adjust positioning and re-emphasize defense, even if he has to re-allocate minutes a bit to keep players fresh. And you block/harass a right-handed shooter with your left, and vice-versa. And if somebody is built more like Gail Goodrich than Jerry West, you need to take that into account.
Giving up 100 points to ANY team in 40 minutes is a defensive failure.

Giving up 100 points to Stanford in 40 minutes is a crisis.

Arizona must admit this and deal with it seriously.

― Kinky Friedman
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Those are pretty sweet...I like the pinstripe things around the bottom laces.

Regarding the defense, I doubt Lloyd is going to bench anybody as a scapegoat, or switch to a 1-3-1 as a base or something like that. I think it's more subtle than that, in terms of positioning and certainly effort. Sometimes it has to do with game circumstances and matchups. And there are also trade-offs. You may sacrifice a little more access to the lane to extend out on the perimeter, and you may not be able to cherry pick as much for breakaways.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:04 am I've been wondering about this, are we really that bad at 3 point D? Or have we just hit a few teams on flukey great nights where the were just hitting any garbage they threw up?
I can't tell by watching cause I'm no coach but our 3 losses, there were multiple guys on each team that went off! Is our 3 point defense that much worse than northwesterns or Florida gulf coast?
Just curious what someone who knows what they are talking about thinks, not just what analytics says.
I'm not saying that anyone else who has commented here on this doesn't, just that I'm sure there's someone that really knows their stuff and has been observing this.
I've noticed a tendency of our perimeter defenders to go under screens, rather than chasing their man around the screen or trying to evade the screen. When you dip under a screen, you're effectively conceding an open look to the shooter. It may only be a split second, but it's enough time for a decent shooter to hit that shot. Stanford was shooting lights out all game, so it made even less sense to dip under screens. I'm not sure how this is being addressed in practice.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

And the help has been awful when someone is screened. You can see the players sniping at each other on missed switches.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Great points on the screening issue. I'll add that it can be a bit problematic in the Pac, depending on refs who sometimes don't accept the concept of "fighting through screens." We only had two players with any kind of foul trouble at Stanford (Ballo and Love with 3 each), so maybe we've been a bit too paranoid about it. I think it was Al McGuire who said "Football is a collision sport, but basketball is still a contact sport."
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:08 pm And the help has been awful when someone is screened. You can see the players sniping at each other on missed switches.
Again, this is something the coaches have to recognize and address. If they're not working on this in practice, it's going to get easier and easier to beat Arizona this season.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Watched the lowlights of the Furd game, lots of late closeouts and Renaud was just not guarded on some of his threes, that plus some just absurd threes. But Spencer Jones had some open looks and so did Carlyle, but still the percentages they put up are like unguarded 3point competition numbers, they probably don't shoot that well in practice guarded by a trainer. And not just 1 or 2 guys, 5 guys shot 50% or better from 3. That's nuts.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if we let 5 guys shoot over 50% from 3 in any other game, we lose that one too. And so does Purdue, and probably the Pistons. Ok that last one is hyperbole.
-Norlander.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Just heard a CTL interview and he seemed pretty defensive regarding defense. Said cats were second nationally in defense a week ago and sees no need to change base defense. He cut the interviewer off before he could finish the question.
He did mention the need for effort for whole game.

Not sure of source as I was hearing it on someone else’s phone.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Merkin wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:08 pm And the help has been awful when someone is screened. You can see the players sniping at each other on missed switches.
Seems like that has been a season long occurrence.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Postmaster wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:38 pm Just heard a CTL interview and he seemed pretty defensive regarding defense. Said cats were second nationally in defense a week ago and sees no need to change base defense. He cut the interviewer off before he could finish the question.
He did mention the need for effort for whole game.

Not sure of source as I was hearing it on someone else’s phone.
It was at today's press conference. Tommy was incredibly feisty today. Here is the entire thing:

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Just for shits and grins, went to Torvik to see how Sean Miller's Musketeers are doing with Pack Line Defense if he still runs it.

31st in 2 pt defense, 32nd in 3 pt defense.

UA 99th and 219th.

Not that I want to see Miller or the Pack Line Defense again at Arizona.