2023-2024 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RawleArenas

Re: 2023-2024 Arizona Basketball

Post by RawleArenas »

Free throw shooting aside, Caleb Love needs to improve his BB iq. In games with eye level competition, his decision making can make or break us. With his athleticism and percentages at the line, he would be money in crunch time. I kept thinking this entire year if you could put Mathurin's mind in Love's body, this team's scary.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Please don’t talk bad about my boo Caleb. Pelle, Boswell, and Keshad were MIA. Love was the only player with the balls to take it inside and make something happen.

Yeah I didn’t like some of those last few plays, but be honest… did you see anyone get open for him to pass it to besides Ballo? And unfortunately the reason Ballo was open was because the center switched off and was draped all over Love. No one else was moving. Everyone just watching to see if Caleb would save them.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Chicat wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:39 pm Please don’t talk bad about my boo Caleb. Pelle, Boswell, and Keshad were MIA. Love was the only player with the balls to take it inside and make something happen.

Yeah I didn’t like some of those last few plays, but be honest… did you see anyone get open for him to pass it to besides Ballo? And unfortunately the reason Ballo was open was because the center switched off and was draped all over Love. No one else was moving. Everyone just watching to see if Caleb would save them.
No question, without Love I doubt if we're even ranked. I put some of the blame on Lloyd. We needed more athleticism with capable scorers in the paint (Eugene Edgerson types but better). He never addressed it, and so our offense suffers. We have to rely on hero ball by Love instead of pounding it in the paint.
Abrahamarvel

Post by Abrahamarvel »

Someone knows more about basketball please correct me.

Arizona runs a free flow offense, which is great with inferior opponents or in no pressure situations.

When we really need to score, it seems our only play is 1 on 1, maybe with a little pick and roll. Mathurin a couple of years back and Love this year. Where are the set plays and ball movements in these situations?
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

This game was about as even as it gets stat wise. The only big difference being a defensive rebound away from taking control of the game.
The energy was off tonight for sure from the jump.

On a separate note but still much to do with the gameday experience...
I'd like for us to start off our inaugural Big12 season by moving the Zoo to the lead camera facing angle. I know this has been said since forever ago and it won't happen buuuuut honestly I would love to go on huge asshole rant about why we NEED to but just pretty please with a cherry on top.
Mike Luke's burner account.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

KillerKlown wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:06 am This game was about as even as it gets stat wise. The only big difference being a defensive rebound away from taking control of the game.

I'd like for us to start off our inaugural Big12 season by moving the Zoo to the lead camera facing angle. I know this has been said since forever ago and it won't happen buuuuut honestly I would love to go on huge asshole rant about why we NEED to but just pretty please with a cherry on top.
And how do you replace the money UA would be losing by doing this?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

While winning the PAC-12 regular season or tournament is fun, does it really matter? UCONN lost both last year. Get right over these next few weeks, bow out in the semis in Vegas and prep for the games that really matter.

Also, how many crazy shots/did breaks has Wazzu gotten in both games with them this year?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I’m so glad I’m old and fell asleep and missed the game.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

g32knights wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:09 am While winning the PAC-12 regular season or tournament is fun, does it really matter? UCONN lost both last year. Get right over these next few weeks, bow out in the semis in Vegas and prep for the games that really matter.

Also, how many crazy shots/did breaks has Wazzu gotten in both games with them this year?
But winning the pac 12 and pac 12 tournament is like winning the SB for UA fans. It's as good as it gets and they know it. I guess it somehow lessens the pain and embarrassment of choking in the NCAA tournament year after year. Talk about low standards. Even lower this year since they just got swept and owned at home by Washington State. Washington State! I mean let that sink in. But yeah let's throw millions at an unproven coach. Let's pay even more to fail. No wonder the UA is in financial shambles.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I think that Love is the best offensive player on our team.

He is the logical choice for a last shot when the game is on the line - three-pointer, mid-range or taking it to the rim.

BUT...

Love going one-on-team SHOULD NOT be the go-to play. Neither of his last shot efforts last night had even a slim chance of going in (or even getting released, on the second one)!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

Captain Obvious wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:28 am
g32knights wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:09 am While winning the PAC-12 regular season or tournament is fun, does it really matter? UCONN lost both last year. Get right over these next few weeks, bow out in the semis in Vegas and prep for the games that really matter.

But winning the pac 12 and pac 12 tournament is like winning the SB for UA fans. It's as good as it gets and they know it. I guess it somehow lessens the pain and embarrassment of choking in the NCAA tournament year after year. Talk about low standards. Even lower this year since they just got swept and owned at home by Washington State. Washington State! I mean let that sink in. But yeah let's throw millions at an unproven coach. Let's pay even more to fail. No wonder the UA is in financial shambles.

I'm going to guess that this is how you use the bathroom?
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:02 am
KillerKlown wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:06 am This game was about as even as it gets stat wise. The only big difference being a defensive rebound away from taking control of the game.

Which is why i said it won't happen.
Mike Luke's burner account.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

KillerKlown wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:55 am

But you said you wanted it. So what happens with the money?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Captain Obvious wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:28 am

If the choice is PAC-12 tournament title and exiting the NCAA and not making a final four or making the final four and whatever in the PAC-12 I take the final four

But give me PAC-12 tournament and out in the round of 32 or 16 over no PAC-12 tournament title and exiting in the round of 8

And if you are Rich C you are a huge POS
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

KJ needs to work on fouling. We need him out there.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Oh Beachcat97.....you are so special
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:04 am

Can we charge people an exit fee when they leave before the game is over?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Postmaster wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:43 am
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:04 am

Can we charge people an exit fee when they leave before the game is over?
Love the outside the box thinking and if you make an exception for families with young kids I am totally on board
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

There should be some of test you have to take to enter. f you don't get a "Real Fan" rating from the test you have to pay a "Bad Fan" fee
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lloyd really needs to get an XO guy. Someone who can actually draw up a final shot play.

How many games have the Cats lost when the only play they had was to toss up a long 3 point shot as time expired?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

CBS SPORTS updated power ranking post-Wazzu.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... in-pac-12/

Wazzu - #11
Arizona - #12
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:45 am CBS SPORTS updated power ranking post-Wazzu.

Wazzu - #11
Arizona - #12
Parrish himself says that his rankings mean nothing.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pc in NM wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:33 am I think that Love is the best offensive player on our team.

He is the logical choice for a last shot when the game is on the line - three-pointer, mid-range or taking it to the rim.

BUT...

Love going one-on-team SHOULD NOT be the go-to play. Neither of his last shot efforts last night had even a slim chance of going in (or even getting released, on the second one)!!
Agree 100%.

Love also has a tendency to just let it fly from deep anytime he sees daylight. If his 3FG% were 40% or better, I think that's fine. But he's shooting 35% for the season. It's just terribly inefficient to waste so many possessions on bricks from 30 feet.
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

arizonawildcats wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:58 am
So what this is saying is better than a "Strong Team", but not "Electric"?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

g32knights wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:47 am
pc in NM wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:45 am CBS SPORTS updated power ranking post-Wazzu.

Wazzu - #11
Arizona - #12
Parrish himself says that his rankings mean nothing.
I think 1) you're misquoting him, and 2) dropping 8 spots by any "expert" means "something"...

― Kinky Friedman
arizonawildcats

g32knights wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:02 am
arizonawildcats wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:58 am
So what this is saying is better than a "Strong Team", but not "Electric"?
We were "electric" a month ago, but conceded 4 kill shots since then. Jaden Bradley is #9 in BPR per Evan Miya. He needs more minutes.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Merkin wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:15 am Lloyd really needs to get an XO guy. Someone who can actually draw up a final shot play.

How many games have the Cats lost when the only play they had was to toss up a long 3 point shot as time expired?
What does Fios do?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:28 am
Merkin wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:15 am Lloyd really needs to get an XO guy. Someone who can actually draw up a final shot play.

What does Fios do?
I don't see anything here about him setting up plays but I really don't know.

https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/mens ... -fois/5838

If I remember right, Few called his own plays at Gonzaga.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

We always seem to need to improve our end-game approach. We're talking about it here with Tommy, we talked about it with Sean Miller, and I recall Lute letting Salim Stoudamire dribble out the clock and then just launching bombs with the game on the line. Among a lot of coaches, there appears to be great concern about turning the ball over on a bad pass or travel (possibly caused by an uncalled foul.) I'm sure somebody will eagerly fact-check with a examples of some big end-game play-callers, but for whatever reason, it seems like a number of otherwise pretty prepared coaches don't go in for a lot of elaborate plays at the end of a game.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

After their game at ASU, WSU is home the rest of the way. With four or five games left (depending on the team), there don't seem to be many likely paths for Arizona to the 1-seed in Vegas. There will be upsets down the stretch and tie-breakers juggling things. But, when I penciled it out, we wound up on the bottom of the bracket with UCLA, Colorado, Utah, ASU, and USC. If it works out that way, I suppose one way to look at it is that all of our games would be pretty interesting. I guess it's always a tough row to hoe.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

tbh I think leaving the Pac 12 Tournament early would be a blessing. Tommy is too much of a competitor to purposely lose a game, but Lute had the right idea that it's not worth it to try and win.

Plus Tommy doesn't lose back to back games, so it has that added bonus of making sure we're prepared for the first real tourney game.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The announcers mentioned we had been working on end of game plays during shoot around. IIRC, Matt said something like teams don’t have time until February to work on these plays in practice.

I did notice that WSU impeded Boz on last play without getting close enough to foul. Boz only had one option for a pass, Love on sideline. Opposite of AZ defense in Pullman.
arizonawildcats

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AZCatGirl wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:20 pm tbh I think leaving the Pac 12 Tournament early would be a blessing. Tommy is too much of a competitor to purposely lose a game, but Lute had the right idea that it's not worth it to try and win.

Plus Tommy doesn't lose back to back games, so it has that added bonus of making sure we're prepared for the first real tourney game.
This is loser thinking. You play to win every game

Winning the PAC-12 Tournament or losing early or anything in between means absolutely nothing for the NCAA

Weakness is losing
arizonawildcats

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

arizonawildcats wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:09 pm
The problem is everyone other than Ballo wasn't very good. I think CTL should have given Murauskas a chance to see if he could open up the floor a bit
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

PHXCATS wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:14 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:20 pm tbh I think leaving the Pac 12 Tournament early would be a blessing. Tommy is too much of a competitor to purposely lose a game, but Lute had the right idea that it's not worth it to try and win.

Winning the PAC-12 Tournament or losing early or anything in between means absolutely nothing for the NCAA

Weakness is losing
I didn't have Machina calling Lute a loser on my 2024 bingo card but here we are
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

84Cat wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:31 pm
PHXCATS wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 1:14 pm

Weakness is losing
I didn't have Machina calling Lute a loser on my 2024 bingo card but here we are
He was not a loser but was absolutely wrong about the PAC-10/PAC-12 tournamen
Don't know what is worse. If you can't tell the difference between loser thinking on a specific subject and being a loser overall or if you know and purposely lie about things
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why do I get the feeling Machina is like 5’2” and was every fellow middle schooler’s favorite dodgeball target?

Unpuff your chest dude. It’s giving off little dick energy.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

How does one go about hiring Machina as a motivational speaker?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:40 pm How does one go about hiring Machina as a motivational speaker?
You’re going to have to work around his incredibly busy schedule of being needlessly angry and antagonistic on the internet, so hopefully you’re cool with booking 6 months in advance.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

What is losing is only playing 7 rotation players with one of them being gimpy, busting tail to win the PAC tourney, then getting bounced in the first round of the NCAAs by a 15 seed because your players are gassed, especially Zu and Kriisa.

Lloyd is not a loser, but he is still learning. Unless the team gets bounced again in the first round. UA is already the only team to lose to a 15 seed twice.

So I would hope he uses a deep bench during the PAC tourney.

The PAC-12 banner can hang next to the WAC and Border Conference ones.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:40 pm What is losing is only playing 7 rotation players with one of them being gimpy, busting tail to win the PAC tourney, then getting bounced in the first round of the NCAAs by a 15 seed because your players are gassed, especially Zu and Kriisa.

Lloyd is not a loser, but he is still learning. Unless the team gets bounced again in the first round. UA is already the only team to lose to a 15 seed twice.

The team wasn't gassed man
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Merkin wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:40 pm What is losing is only playing 7 rotation players with one of them being gimpy, busting tail to win the PAC tourney, then getting bounced in the first round of the NCAAs by a 15 seed because your players are gassed, especially Zu and Kriisa.

Thanks for confirming the winnest coach of all time to start his head coaching career is not a loser. Coaches don't make enough. 3 of the top four teams UCONN, Purdue and Arizona lost. Purdue lost against Ohio State which was not a good loss. We played a quad 1 team with the longest win streak in the country. The lost occurred when a three point shooter was fouled on a scramble play. It happens. If you don't think WSU is a nightmare matchup you don't understand basketball. What I do understand is the the NCAA tourney is a crap shoot and we have a team that can be in the conversation but that means nothing.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The towel boys seemed to be wiping the floor of the south basket a lot more than usual today.

I know the AD is broke but it would have been nice if they had kicked on the AC today.
arizonawildcats

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

LOL DePaul
arizonawildcats

The remaining TV schedule has been released.

Feb. 28 at Arizona State (8:00 p.m. MST on Pac-12 Network)
March 2 vs. Oregon (12:00 p.m. MST on ESPN)
March 7 at UCLA (7:30 p.m. MST on ESPN)
March 9 at USC (8:00 p.m. MST on ESPN)
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »