2023-2024 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Postmaster

Re: 2023-2024 Arizona Basketball

Post by Postmaster »

It might have made a difference if CTL had switched the guards earlier. They did cut the deficit when he made the change.

In a win or go home you have to be quick with your moves.
I think Pelle is beat up and exhausted. I wish CTL would have decreased his minutes vs USC.

I heard an interview with CTL yesterday. He said the “last Pac 12 nostalgia “ was for fans. He didn’t care about that stuff. All he thought about was the next game.
Previous years I heard the Euros didn’t care about tournament because they play tournaments all the time in euro leagues.

Guards couldn’t get to rim and settled for deep shots.

More of my frustrated ramblings.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Like Lloyd said himself last night, players were just standing around. That's on you coach.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:26 am Like Lloyd said himself last night, players were just standing around. That's on you coach.
It is, but it isn't. It's ehhhh. I mean I guarantee Lloyd barked orders to move and has covered as much how to run his offense. Prior to the USC game in LA this team has had zero issues whatsoever handling a zone defense. I'm not saying Lloyd is without blame, I mean these are his players, but it's this deep into the season and nothing has changed. Run your shit. Actuate yourselves.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I’m noticing more folks questioning the overall vibe and tone Lloyd brings to the court. He couldn’t be more different from Miller, but I’m not even sure he brings as much intensity and fire as Lute.

If it’s true that Lloyd tends to shrug a lot and not really react to losses, that’s going to influence his players’ attitudes for sure.

I haven’t observed this personally, but others are saying it’s there.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Three years into his tenure this is par for the course I guess.
Zonawildcat3

Post by Zonawildcat3 »

Long time lurker since cattracks days. First ever post. Maybe the most frustrating team i can remember
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:26 am Like Lloyd said himself last night, players were just standing around. That's on you coach.
I've gone back and forth with Lloyd. I appreciate the way he has revitalized the program, but there are problems that need to be addressed now and into the future. From my perspective, he committed one the of the cardinal sins of basketball 'KYP,' - know your personnel. I had a feeling way before the season started that Boswell wasn't ready yet for prime time minutes; had the talent but not the maturity. The team needed a veteran athletic, grizzled Power 5 point guard that wasn't worried about minutes. This would have helped Boswell ease into his role going into this year. Kind of the same problem we had with Nico. It's tough to be 'the guy' when you skip a class and your 18 and responsible for leading a team that has major expectations. It's not for the faint of heart. Only Bibby (generational point guard) was able to live up to the hype.

Going into next year, Lloyd is going to have to cut at least two of his Euros from his team, or else we're going to have major problems going into the Big 12. We need experience, athleticism and physicality out of your frontcourt, and none of Lloyd's current or future guys (except for Bryant), is going to be able to get the job done (same problem he had with the Zags, too many Euros). I literally cringed watching Krivas last night. Pretty much every team in the Big 12 is going to be as good as Wazzu or a better version of them. This is a recipe for disaster. Tournament wise, we need luck this year. Right matchups and outrageously good rebounding, or else we're done. Lloyd has to realize that he can't put out this 'trust the process' vibe when he hasn't learned critical lessons going back to his Gonzaga days.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:31 am
It is, but it isn't. It's ehhhh. I mean I guarantee Lloyd barked orders to move and has covered as much how to run his offense. Prior to the USC game in LA this team has had zero issues whatsoever handling a zone defense. I'm not saying Lloyd is without blame, I mean these are his players, but it's this deep into the season and nothing has changed. Run your shit. Actuate yourselves.
You're right of course, but I was referring to yanking them off the court if they are dogging it. That's what I did when coaching 6th graders! Although I didn't have to deal with fragile egos like Lloyd does. What would Phil Jackson do with his moment of zen?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RawleArenas wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:26 am
I've gone back and forth with Lloyd. I appreciate the way he has revitalized the program, but there are problems that need to be addressed now and into the future. From my perspective, he committed one the of the cardinal sins of basketball 'KYP,' - know your personnel. I had a feeling way before the season started that Boswell wasn't ready yet for prime time minutes; had the talent but not the maturity. The team needed a veteran athletic, grizzled Power 5 point guard that wasn't worried about minutes. This would have helped Boswell ease into his role going into this year. Kind of the same problem we had with Nico. It's tough to be 'the guy' when you skip a class and your 18 and responsible for leading a team that has major expectations. It's not for the faint of heart. Only Bibby (generational point guard) was able to live up to the hype.
To be fair Tommy heavily pursued and was under the firm belief he was landing Ryan Nembhard to curve those very issues you have with Boswell. We tend to forget that this year's current roster was in fact Lloyd's plan B in action and not plan A. Fwiw I'm certainly not sure that Lloyd's Plan A would've amounted to a better situation for us than his Plan B, although point guard play obviously would've been better.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Going into next year, Lloyd is going to have to cut at least two of his Euros from his team, or else we're going to have major problems going into the Big 12. We need experience, athleticism and physicality out of your frontcourt, and none of Lloyd's current or future guys (except for Bryant), is going to be able to get the job done (same problem he had with the Zags, too many Euros). I literally cringed watching Krivas last night. Pretty much every team in the Big 12 is going to be as good as Wazzu or a better version of them. This is a recipe for disaster. Tournament wise, we need luck this year. Right matchups and outrageously good rebounding, or else we're done. Lloyd has to realize that he can't put out this 'trust the process' vibe when he hasn't learned critical lessons going back to his Gonzaga days.
Bibby went to classes???? :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jason Gardner had a pretty good frosh year, I'd say.

Who's the "leader" on the court, this year? I don't see one.

Who's the high-energy guy that is 100% intense? I don't see one.

Which player holds others accountable? I don't see one.

Next year's guards:
  • Boswell - full season starter - inside track - knows what needs to improve over off-season
  • Bradley - best PG, should start - does he have "leader" potential??
  • Lewis - I like him as a starter
  • Martinez - good pure PG - scorer? Penetrator?
  • Phillips - high energy - scorer - how long to adjust to college game???
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

pc in NM wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:06 am

Who's the "leader" on the court, this year? I don't see one. - Correct

Who's the high-energy guy that is 100% intense? I don't see one. - KJ Lewis does qualify here, but 100% intensity without proper control, which is his issues as a freshman doesn't equate to success majority of the time

Which player holds others accountable? I don't see one. - Correct
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:11 am

Who's the high-energy guy that is 100% intense? I don't see one. - KJ Lewis does qualify here, but 100% intensity without proper control, which is his issues as a freshman doesn't equate to success majority of the time

Bradley seems high energy. Earlier in year I might have said frantic, but I think he has settled in.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:17 am

Bradley seems high energy. Earlier in year I might have said frantic, but I think he has settled in.
Agreed! I think Boswell may be in a similar position to Kriisa last spring - could easily be replaced as a starter. What's his own perception???
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:17 am

That's certainly fair. Of his issues I certainly don't consider effort being one of them.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Arizona Player Efficiency Ratings (minimum 10 minutes played) in the 2024 postseason though 2 games:

32.7 Oumar Ballo
21.1 K.J. Lewis
20.9 Jaden Bradley
15.0 -----average D1 player---------
11.7 Pelle Larsson
11.1 Keshad Johnson
6.1 Motiejus Krivas
1.9 Kylan Boswell
-1.4 Caleb Love
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Damn, we got to get Caleb back on track
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I hope Pelle and Love spend the next few days napping.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Who would not be here if KJ Simpson had stayed?
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

congrats to los patos. gg, good conference. so long, pac-12 mbb :(

*sniff*
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:48 am Three years into his tenure this is par for the course I guess.
I hope so. He is only the winningest coach in the NCAA through his first 2 years and approaching that for 3. He only won the conference in two of his first 3 years and has one loss in the PAC championship against 7 victories and two championships. I think he is terrible. He has Arizona in the top 16 for offense and defense. Fuckin idiots.
I never come to these boards after a loss for a few days because too many people have their own self esteem tied into a bunch of 20 y/o ball players. They didn't play good. Well neither did Duke, Houston, North Carolina, Purdue, Creighton etc etc ..I could go on and on. Did we lose by 30 like Houston? How about to a 10 seed that had just played 5 games in 5 days? We lost to the eventual PAC-12 champs that are finally getting back to full strength (although still down 3 players).
Some of you question Tommy's competitiveness. Really? Why? Because he doesn't blame his players? he always gives credit to the other team? because he doesn't mention the refs? You guys want fn Mick Cronin for a coach and I think that is what you probably deserve.
I am looking forward to the tournament. I hope we play well. I hope we win. But if we don't I will celebrate the accomplishments of this team how meager you deem them to be and look forward to next year.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Clearly you don’t get my snark.

I love CTL. Only after a rough few games are the fans coming out saying CTL is too “ah shucks”
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Par for the course meaning impatient Arizona fans get really antsy real fast.

I’m along for the ride and enjoying watching CTL put his stamp on things
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

CST sorry if I misinterpret your comment. There are plenty of others though that heap unfair criticism on this team. These guys will have ups and downs as much as it pains us all. Kylan has been struggling for half a year with his confidence and no one feels that more than him. Love the last 3 games has looked unlike himself earlier, KJ has been has not been the force he was earlier but all that is what makes college basketball challenging and interesting. It can all change at the drop of a hat.
My hope is that under all that pressure they find a reason to pull tighter together and find their joy in playing basketball regardless of the doubters and armchair coaches. That they look back and enjoy what they will later recognize as one of the best times of their lives.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

They've lost 2 of 3 since they won the Pac12 regular season title while also playing one of their best games of the season. Hopefully the NCAA tournament will give them fresh motivation to play their best ball. They will need to bring it every game
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

Postmaster wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:39 pm I hope Pelle and Love spend the next few days napping.
They've done more than enough napping during games lately. Both have been absolutely awful and that's putting it mildly.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

CalStateTempe wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:20 pm Par for the course meaning impatient Arizona fans get really antsy real fast.

Stamp on things? Stamp of underachievement has to be what you're implying. Tom has to do better with in game adjustments and benching players that are hurting the team. Once Bozwell starts screwing up, bench his ass! Honestly I think Tom needs to start Bradley in the next game. Bozwell might be too busy playing BlackJack somewhere. My patience is really wearing thin with Tom's lack of leadership and allowing the team to run things. Nice guys finish last. I don't want a nice guy, I want the azzhole who gets the job done.
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

84Cat wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:27 am They've lost 2 of 3 since they won the Pac12 regular season title while also playing one of their best games of the season. Hopefully the NCAA tournament will give them fresh motivation to play their best ball. They will need to bring it every game
This has been a head-scratching up-and-down team this year, and it's legit to have concerns. As previously discussed, the USC game was a pretty classic letdown game after winning the final Pac-12 title at UCLA, as well as the Trojans having a bolstered roster. Oregon is a team that can match up with us athletically, and Altman was on a mission to nail down an NCAA bid, with his NET down around 60. They played well with the changing defenses and jumping our passing lanes, while we were played into a bad game, but are also certainly culpable for not dealing with it better. Yeah, there's a blueprint for beating us...if you happen to have the requisite athletes and coaching and we don't adjust to it. We're laser-focused on Arizona and every loss is a tragedy, but if you look around the country, most teams also have their issues. We'll see how we do this NCAA go-round with a team that's better rested and doesn't have two significantly injured starters like we had last year.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Captain Obvious wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:52 am
CalStateTempe wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:20 pm Par for the course meaning impatient Arizona fans get really antsy real fast.

Stamp on things? Stamp of underachievement has to be what you're implying. Tom has to do better with in game adjustments and benching players that are hurting the team. Once Bozwell starts screwing up, bench his ass! Honestly I think Tom needs to start Bradley in the next game. Bozwell might be too busy playing BlackJack somewhere. My patience is really wearing thin with Tom's lack of leadership and allowing the team to run things. Nice guys finish last. I don't want a nice guy, I want the azzhole who gets the job done.
WOW you nailed it. He has been finishing last at a historic rate.
Winger

Post by Winger »

FTR I am with you on Euros in general and especially in the B12.

Lloyd did make a legitimate run at Nembhard.

Now maybe he doesn’t exactly fit the athletic grizzled Power 5 PG monkier but he is legit. Not positive how it would have worked out but an Arizona booster fronting his NIL $$$$ for Gonzaga certainly didn’t help things.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Welcome back Winnger, we’ve missed you.
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

arizonawildcats wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:54 pm
I can't see the Nevada logo. A matchup with Dayton doesn't look inviting.
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
arizonawildcats

ProfessorFate wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:02 pm
arizonawildcats wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:54 pm
I can't see the Nevada logo. A matchup with Dayton doesn't look inviting.
It overlaps Texas Tech's logo.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Arizona put a digital billboard outside the Big 12 Basketball Tournament last week:

https://kslsports.com/512747/arizona-wi ... -addition/
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I see KJ and Bradley and is that Boswell?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

They did one for the women too. Love it.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:25 pm I see KJ and Bradley and is that Boswell?
Yes.
arizonawildcats

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Alex Rabb's newest video

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I just wanted to post this now before the Tournament starts.

(I want to do this now, as I usually need to stay away from the boards for a little while if we happen to face an early exit)

This year was awesome and I've watched almost every game.

Except for about 4 or so games- this team has looked great and has played with amazing effort.

Our transfer guys have fit in perfectly and have exceeded expectations.

Tommy has done an amazing job with this brand new mix of players, roles.

Our young guys look ready to dominate... now and into the future.

BTFD!!!!!!
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

I was just thinking, has there been a program that has had All Americans three straight years in a row (Mathurin, Tubelis, Love)? All of them different players (no repeats like Edey)? I know there are some stat mavens on this board so I'm sure somebody knows. I pretty sure a first time head coach has never done this. Can somebody find this out?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:01 am I just wanted to post this now before the Tournament starts.

(I want to do this now, as I usually need to stay away from the boards for a little while if we happen to face an early exit)

BTFD!!!!!!
The Big Dance is the best of times!

The Big Dance is the worst of times!

The Big Dance is the time for basketball wisdom!

The Big Dance is the time for foolishness!

The Big Dance is the time for belief!

The Big Dance is the time for incredulity!

The Big Dance is the post-season of light!

The Big Dance is the post-season of darkness!

The Big Dance is the spring of hope!

The Big Dance is the winter of despair!

BTFD!!!!

― Kinky Friedman
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Love it
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

84Cat wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:31 am
How soon until CTL offers an assistant job to Monsoon???

― Kinky Friedman
arizonawildcats

RawleArenas wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:21 am I was just thinking, has there been a program that has had All Americans three straight years in a row (Mathurin, Tubelis, Love)? All of them different players (no repeats like Edey)? I know there are some stat mavens on this board so I'm sure somebody knows. I pretty sure a first time head coach has never done this. Can somebody find this out?
Gonzaga has done it recently, but I think you're right about Tommy being the only first-time head coach to do it.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/aw ... erica.html
TheCatInTheHat

Post by TheCatInTheHat »

Alieberman wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:01 am I just wanted to post this now before the Tournament starts.

Except for about 4 or so games- this team has looked great and has played with amazing effort.

BTFD!!!!!!
Very apropos. Lots of hand-wringing during the season's ups and downs. But, I believe the goal was to be the highest-seeded team with the SLC>LA>PHX glide path, and that was achieved. Bagging the last Pac-12 title was a bonus. So now, here we go. Anything shy of a title, and some people will complain. And if we do win the title, people will worry that we'll lose Tommy to a Kentucky or something like that. Time to buckle those seat belts for the wild ride.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCatInTheHat wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:00 am

BTFD!!!!!!
Very apropos. Lots of hand-wringing during the season's ups and downs. But, I believe the goal was to be the highest-seeded team with the SLC>LA>PHX glide path, and that was achieved. Bagging the last Pac-12 title was a bonus. So now, here we go. Anything shy of a title, and some people will complain. And if we do win the title, people will worry that we'll lose Tommy to a Kentucky or something like that. Time to buckle those seat belts for the wild ride.
I agree with all of this but the part about anything short of a title being a disappointment. I think a Final Four berth is what most here want to see. Reaching the FF is akin to earning a Rose Bowl berth in football. It’s an historical achievement, and we haven’t hit that benchmark since 2001. We are very much in a Final Four drought, so for me, that’s what would earn this team a spot among our all time greats.

Winning a title, of course, is another level, and it would mean names like Love and Larsson and Johnson will forever be held in the same regard as Simon, Bibby and Dickerson.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

If Arizona is still playing at the end of next week most will agree that Tommy Lloyd is an elite basketball coach. If not he will probably be considered an, aw shucks, fairly good coach.