KJ Lewis

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

arizonawildcats

KJ Lewis

Post by arizonawildcats »

TheCat

Re: KJ Lewis

Post by TheCat »

This was an eye opener to me. He looks and plays the part.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Kid doesn't look like a freshman out there. He might've been a little underrated.
arizonawildcats

TheCat

Post by TheCat »

KJ Lewis has the chance to become the best all time defensive player for Arizona if he stays 3 years. Reggie and Andre would be proud.
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

TheCat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:38 am KJ Lewis has the chance to become the best all time defensive player for Arizona if he stays 3 years. Reggie and Andre would be proud.
Don’t forget Chris Rodgers!

I would have liked to see Aaron Gordon stay longer because he could guard all 5 positions
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Yo. Lewis just copped 2 feels in 1 play 💀#arizona #basketball #alabama #alabamabasketball #arizonabasketball
saltdeeduck · 2d ago

https://www.tiktok.com/@saltdeeduck/vid ... 6076173599
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
arizonawildcats

From ESPN

Three freshmen to monitor the rest of the college basketball season

KJ Lewis | 6-4 | SG/SF | Age: 19.5 | Arizona | Top 100: NR

Playing for one of the deepest and most talented teams in college basketball, Lewis hasn't had the opportunity to break out yet this season for No. 5 Arizona but has several key traits that give him a chance at a long and fruitful NBA career.

He's one of the strongest defenders in this freshman class at fighting over screens, locking up opponents one-on-one, generating steals, rotating for blocks and bringing nonstop toughness and physicality with his frame, long arms and explosive style of play.

Lewis is more of a work in progress on offense and is not a prolific shot creator or perimeter shooter at this stage, averaging 6.4 points in 19 minutes per game. He does show flashes of impressive ability at times getting out in the open court, attacking weaker defenders in a straight line, finishing through contact aggressively, and most notably, having some real vision and creativity as a passer that should serve him well moving forward.

Lewis should be able to step into a significantly bigger role next season with starting wings Caleb Love and Pelle Larsson off to the pros, allowing him to solidify himself as a possible top-20 pick in the 2025 draft. He's got plenty of work to do on his ballhandling and shooting until then, but is already way ahead of schedule considering he wasn't a consensus top-100 prospect coming out of high school last summer. -- Givony
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Yeah he has NBA written all over him if he improves on his shooting repertoire and ball handling.

He is so damn strong and skilled.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

KJ reminds me a lot of Iggoudala. Not quite the length, but a little more physical. If KJ can develop a jumper, I think he's lottery potential next year. May be a late 1st rounder this year, but so was Mathurin after his 1st year. And he came back to be a lottery pick. I think KJ follows a similar path.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Read a lot of NBA scouts were at the CU game to see Cody Williams.

Lewis fouling out in less than 8 minutes with no points and a turnover probably did encourage him to come back next season and play himself into the lottery.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:52 pm Read a lot of NBA scouts were at the CU game to see Cody Williams.

Lewis fouling out in less than 8 minutes with no points and a turnover probably did encourage him to come back next season and play himself into the lottery.
Doesn’t matter as he isn’t leaving.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

To me, the skill he has that is so rare is his ability to finish around the rim from either side, underneath, straight on or baseline. At times, he reminds me of (old school reference) Ced Ceballos of the Suns in how he can turn baseline, be behind the rim, and elevate and protect the ball until the exact right time to get it on the rim or glass. He also uses the rim well to protect his shots. It seems he can score on a straight line drive from almost every angle. He'll need his shot to develop to keep defenders from sagging, but a true dribble drive guard is more and more rare in the game. He could be closing out games in the future.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

This is pretty damn cool…
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

KJ Lewis is going to be a stud - the flashes we've seen this year are promising!

When he is able to bring in a more consistent offensive game that we've seen in spurts (3PT, slashing and finishing) with his top tier defense and effort (cutting back on dumb fouls) I think he has potential to be a lottery pick.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

He has almost everything he needs, his shot improved over the season. He just needs to calm down with his hands. I know he wants to get steals and disrupt them and I appreciate that but his hands are always flying all over the place and that's way too many unnecessary fouls.

No hate on KJ though, I know he'll get it right and be even better than he was this year.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Fishclamps wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 pm He has almost everything he needs, his shot improved over the season. He just needs to calm down with his hands. I know he wants to get steals and disrupt them and I appreciate that but his hands are always flying all over the place and that's way too many unnecessary fouls.

No hate on KJ though, I know he'll get it right and be even better than he was this year.
I see KJ as the likely star of the team next season, replacing Love. I think he might be the best candidate for starting SG entering the off-season, and give our two 5-star wing recruits more room for that position.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

He plays too fast sometimes but understandably so as a freshman. But he has all the tools except a three point shot. Shocked he only played 13 mins last night. We needed his D in the second half
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Djcat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am He plays too fast sometimes but understandably so as a freshman. But he has all the tools except a three point shot. Shocked he only played 13 mins last night. We needed his D in the second half
It seemed like he was getting his 3 ball dialed in as the season went on, not his best shot but if he can hit a decent clip from 3 opens up the driving lanes for him too.

I agree, he should have played more last night
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

Djcat wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am He plays too fast sometimes but understandably so as a freshman. But he has all the tools except a three point shot. Shocked he only played 13 mins last night. We needed his D in the second half
I like that his first offensive move is to look for a path to the basket. I’d like to see him become a Hassan Adams type player. I remember Lute forced Hassan to play the 4 when someone went down with an injury and he played well. I see Lewis is already stronger and could really wreak havoc with his athleticism and aggressiveness.

3 pt shooting is very overhyped. Give me a guard/forward that can hit a shot in rhythm and/or can catch and shoot
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

LuteIsGod wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 pm
I like that his first offensive move is to look for a path to the basket. I’d like to see him become a Hassan Adams type player. I remember Lute forced Hassan to play the 4 when someone went down with an injury and he played well. I see Lewis is already stronger and could really wreak havoc with his athleticism and aggressiveness.

3 pt shooting is very overhyped. Give me a guard/forward that can hit a shot in rhythm and/or can catch and shoot
I want EVERY perimeter player wearing an Arizona uniform to be a credible three-point threat. Period.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

LuteIsGod wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 pm

KJ developing a 3 pt threat will open up more driving opportunities.

For him, not overhyped.
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

With KJ Lewis testing the NBA waters, we could lose him, like Dalen Terry. The NBA draft is very weak this year.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Catintheheat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:07 am With KJ Lewis testing the NBA waters, we could lose him, like Dalen Terry. The NBA draft is very weak this year.
I just don't see him being 1st Round material yet - and he'd be a fool to take any less...

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Not sure what that's about, but there is no harming in declaring and getting NBA feedback. No penalty anymore for declaring, then returning after getting your report.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Not seeing any reports of him testing the NBA draft reported on Xitter.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:25 am Not seeing any reports of him testing the NBA draft reported on Xitter.
I think that was Scheer premium info that probably shouldn't have gotten shared until it was public.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:46 am
Chicat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:25 am Not seeing any reports of him testing the NBA draft reported on Xitter.
I think that was Scheer premium info that probably shouldn't have gotten shared until it was public.
Ah… yeah, let’s not do that. Paywalled info should remain private until it comes out as public.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Chicat wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:53 am
UAEebs86 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:46 am
Ah… yeah, let’s not do that. Paywalled info should remain private until it comes out as public.
Its not paywalled at all. He discusses it on his podcast he does with his wife, which is 100% free.

Edit: They discuss KJ testing the waters for a few minutes. The only concern they bring up is he gets lured in or talked into it by close friends and family and he ends up leaving a year early ala Dalen Terry.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Thanks Fish!
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:24 am Not sure what that's about, but there is no harming in declaring and getting NBA feedback. No penalty anymore for declaring, then returning after getting your report.
I agree 100% - he needs to find out from the NBA execs, etc. I'm just saying, (IMNSHO) he's not ready (YET!!) to be a first rounder...

... and, I doubt he's gonna reach out to me for MNSHO. :roll:

― Kinky Friedman
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Nothing wrong with getting feedback to see what possible future employers are looking for you to improve upon.

He has the physical attributes and defensive chops. I’m assuming they will want to see him work on shot creation and 3pt shooting consistency. He could be a perfect 3&D player who can get to the rim when he wants to.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

“God plan”

Thoughts and prayers…
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Hopefully just getting some good talent evaluation and room for improvement going into next year!
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

MrKyle wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:35 pm Hopefully just getting some good talent evaluation and room for improvement going into next year!
Worked pretty well for Pelle last year.

― Kinky Friedman