Caleb Love

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MrKyle

Re: Caleb Love

Post by MrKyle »

AZCatGirl wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm Love is blaming himself.
its not just him that is for sure - did he take a few bad 3's in the game, no doubt but he wasn't chucking every time. He had a really cold stretch at worst time of the year, overall in the year I think he played well and showed a lot of restraint compared to his UNC days
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Steve Kerr is still haunted by going 2 for 12 from 3 in the '88 Final Four. This one's going to sting for a while Caleb.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
gouacats

Post by gouacats »

Caleb obviously didn’t play well, but no one shot well. Not going to win shooting 5-23 or whatever.
Abrahamarvel

Post by Abrahamarvel »

Seems like a good kid, Lloyd is good for him. Just not the killer when we needed him to be
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Abrahamarvel wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 pm Seems like a good kid, Lloyd is good for him. Just not the killer when we needed him to be
Without Love we do NOT win the P12 Title and probably don't even get to the Sweet 16. The guy has flaws in his game and everyone knew it. He probably doesn't have an NBA future but hopefully can make some nice money in Europe. I wish him all the best.
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 pm
Abrahamarvel wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 pm Seems like a good kid, Lloyd is good for him. Just not the killer when we needed him to be
Without Love we do NOT win the P12 Title and probably don't even get to the Sweet 16. The guy has flaws in his game and everyone knew it. He probably doesn't have an NBA future but hopefully can make some nice money in Europe. I wish him all the best.
Absolutely, him and Keshad were integral to even giving this team a chance to win regular season title and make a run in March.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gouacats wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm Caleb obviously didn’t play well, but no one shot well.
Or played very well. Can Ballo make a free throw? Can Larsson defend an inbounds pass? Was Boswell even out there?

Can Lloyd take away the green light for a player?

Only ones that cared to play were the freshmen, Lewis and Bradley. The future is bright.

I understand Love being sad, but he is what he is. And we all knew that coming in. He will make very poor shot attempts, and will attempt to shoot himself out of a slump.

Steve Kerr as noted above shot the Cats out of a tourney game, and Jason Gardner did too. And they are still beloved where their jerseys are hanging in McKale.

Ring of Honor for Caleb is well deserved.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Thanks for coming to Arizona and trusting us with your development. Many thanks.
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

Merkin wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 pm
gouacats wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:44 pm Caleb obviously didn’t play well, but no one shot well.
Or played very well. Can Ballo make a free throw? Can Larsson defend an inbounds pass? Was Boswell even out there?

Only ones that cared to play were the freshmen, Lewis and Bradley. The future is bright.

I understand Love being sad, but he is what he is. And we all knew that coming in. He will make very poor shot attempts, and will attempt to shoot himself out of a slump.

Steve Kerr as noted above shot the Cats out of a tourney game, and Jason Gardner did too. And they are still beloved where their jerseys are hanging in McKale.

Woah….woah…when did Gardner EVER make a mistake????
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

LuteIsGod wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm

About 5 hours ago, when he refused to bitch slap CTL and tell him to make the team go inside every play.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If you are blaming Love beyond a bad game you are a fucking moron
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I’ll have only fond memories of Caleb’s one season with this program. He’s a good dude, and he’s going to play professionally somewhere.

Thanks, Caleb! Bear down forever!
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 pm I’ll have only fond memories of Caleb’s one season with this program. He’s a good dude, and he’s going to play professionally somewhere.

Thanks, Caleb! Bear down forever!
I agree wholeheartedly. I've liked the player, and the man, a lot more than I anticipated when he first arrived.

He faces some tough choices approaching the pros, and yesterday's game certainly narrowed his options.

I dream that he could return for another year - outside chance NIL monies/endorsments might, in my wildest fantasies, make that a viable choice.

Regardless, I wish him the best, and will always welcome him as a Wildcat Alum!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 pm
LuteIsGod wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:48 pm

About 5 hours ago, when he refused to bitch slap CTL and tell him to make the team go inside every play.
HA! True
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

PHXCATS wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 pm If you are blaming Love beyond a bad game you are a fucking moron
I agree with Machina. First time for everything I guess. :lol:
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

I actually think he returns.
Now I'm just basing this off of childish hope but maybe there's a slight chance.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

KillerKlown wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:52 am I actually think he returns.
Now I'm just basing this off of childish hope but maybe there's a slight chance.
Zero chance.

There's much more of a chance of Boswell returning.
Djcat

Post by Djcat »

There’s no upside to coming back. Everyone including himself sees he’s hit the ceiling and it’s time to get a paycheck overseas.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Love is 22, and read elsewhere he wants to get the clock started on his pro career.

NIL aside, he just might be tired of going to classes.

None of the seniors are returning. I think the only one who could help themselves by returning is Ballo. Otherwise it's overseas of him too.

Only one with any draft potential is Larsson, and he might have played himself out of the 2nd round.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think Ballo is the most likely to return. I am really interested in seeing Anderson play. He has a bit of an edge to him and I think will be a good defender.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would love to have Ballo back next year and I wished we saw more of Marouskas this year. His stroke looks good but there really isn’t evidence he can guard a 3 or a 4 or play extended minutes effectively
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

azcat49 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:05 pm I would love to have Ballo back next year and I wished we saw more of Marouskas this year. His stroke looks good but there really isn’t evidence he can guard a 3 or a 4 or play extended minutes effectively
Agree. Having Ballo our Freshman year in the Big 12 would provide us mental and physical maturity.

And perhaps Kriivas makes big strides over the summer and learns to catch and face up at the free throw area; he could act as a zone buster and a distributor in the Hi/Lo game….a thinner Ristic
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

I wanted to se Marouskas more to but he didn't look like he could guard anyone
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:34 pm
Very well deserved. It went about as well as we could've hoped for with Caleb. Pac title, Pac POY, multiple first-team honors. It's not easy to hit the ground running with a new team, but Caleb did that.

He's an NBA long shot, but he's unquestionably a pro and can play for many more years. Here's hoping he makes a lot of money somewhere.

Bear down, CL!
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Scheer and Luke saying there's a real chance Love comes back for 1 more year depending on his feedback from the NBA
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

That would take the last scholarship wouldn't it? No wonder UA isn't hitting the portal that hard.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

They also said if Love stays then one of Boswell or Bradley would end up transferring
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Count me in as someone who doesn't want both Boswell/Love back.

In Boswells case he is somewhat limited athletically and he has confidence issues. My experience over the years is that if a player still has shooting issues after his sophomore year........it isn't going to get better.

In Loves case he will always be streaky. Bring him back and we are going to see another 0-9 (or worse) shooting performance at the wrong time in the NCAA tourney.

I would rather give KJ a shot. He is better defensively than either Boswell or Love and has a higher ceiling offensively.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Romer boswell
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I'd only take Ballo back since we are so lacking in a physical presence at center. Boswell, Love and Larsson can all go with my best wishes. I am done with them.

Cats really need a 4 to replace Keshad. That is without a doubt the biggest need.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:45 pm I'd only take Ballo back since we are so lacking in a physical presence at center. Boswell, Love and Larsson can all go with my best wishes. I am done with them.

Cats really need a 4 to replace Keshad. That is without a doubt the biggest need.
Well I was happy Love may come back until I read this
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

My work here is done then.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:29 pm My work here is done then.
Well 1 I was joking but 2 thanks for admitting you like upsetting people on purpose
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I'll galdly serve you a heaping plate of crow when Ballo is a national star somewhere next season - just hope we don't face him in the tourney (Before the final)!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Winger

Post by Winger »

If Lloyd was considering bringing Love back I’d be highly disappointed.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Love is the reigning Pac POY and his own fanbase doesn’t want him back. Unbelievable.

I get that he’s streaky, but I think Tommy would rein in his quick-trigger shots and better integrate him into a balanced attack next season.

Count me among those who’d love to see Love back. His experience and leadership and positivity are irreplaceable.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

I would LOVE to have Caleb back. He had a massive season.
Winger

Post by Winger »

Love last 6 games:

1-10 ORtg of 24
4-13 ORtg of 97
2-11 ORtg of 42
6-17 ORtg of 113
6-15 ORtg of 97
5-18 ORtg of 70

Arizona’s record: 3-3

To be fair to Love, I also am out on PGs who no show 1/3 of the time and centers who are a TO every time they are sent to the line.

This year’s version didn’t work. It is time to acknowledge that, blow it up, and try something else. Run this crew in the B12 next season and you’re asking for trouble.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Winger wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:42 pmTo be fair to Love, I also am out on PGs who no show 1/3 of the time and centers who are a TO every time they are sent to the line.
If we’re looking at 5 new starters or four new starters plus Love, I’m taking the latter.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Winger wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:42 pm Love last 6 games:

1-10 ORtg of 24
4-13 ORtg of 97
2-11 ORtg of 42
6-17 ORtg of 113
6-15 ORtg of 97
5-18 ORtg of 70

To be fair to Love, I also am out on PGs who no show 1/3 of the time and centers who are a TO every time they are sent to the line.

This year’s version didn’t work. It is time to acknowledge that, blow it up, and try something else. Run this crew in the B12 next season and you’re asking for trouble.
Yeah who wants a center that is double double machine when starting in a new conference. Ballo has his deficiencies like elevation and foul shooting but he has strengths also. Size, rebounding, and leadership. No one is predicting he will be something he is not but he exceeded all expectation coming into Arizona. He would be an experienced all conference player and not a lot of teams have that coming back (and we don't). I guess Winger that you are for a team that is dominate by first year players along with KJ and JB. That is a bit risky. The first year players are we have coming in are really good and they are built not like normal freshman but I'm not convinced they can replace the conference player of the year and Wooden All American or a all defensive center and first team all conference player. We will miss Ballo but I understand having guys in the wings that are waiting.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:41 pm
Well 1 I was joking but 2 thanks for admitting you like upsetting people on purpose
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Getting Ballo and Love back, coupled with the rest of our anticipated roster, would be a net gain, and I’m not even sure how it’s debatable.

Getting either one of them, actually.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:00 pm Getting Ballo and Love back, coupled with the rest of our anticipated roster, would be a net gain, and I’m not even sure how it’s debatable.

How many other guys do you want to lose in the process? Sanon hasn't actually signed yet. I would assume we lose him, Boswell or JB if Love comes back. We don't have all the information that the staff has so it's difficult to know what's the smart thing to do. I trust our staff to make the right choices
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:04 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:00 pm Getting Ballo and Love back, coupled with the rest of our anticipated roster, would be a net gain, and I’m not even sure how it’s debatable.

How many other guys do you want to lose in the process? Sanon hasn't actually signed yet. I would assume we lose him, Boswell or JB if Love comes back. We don't have all the information that the staff has so it's difficult to know what's the smart thing to do. I trust our staff to make the right choices
I do too.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

It is okay to free think and not just repeat Scheer and Luke
Winger

Post by Winger »

TheCat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:33 pm

1-10 ORtg of 24
4-13 ORtg of 97
2-11 ORtg of 42
6-17 ORtg of 113
6-15 ORtg of 97
5-18 ORtg of 70

Yeah who wants a center that is double double machine when starting in a new conference. Ballo has his deficiencies like elevation and foul shooting but he has strengths also. Size, rebounding, and leadership. No one is predicting he will be something he is not but he exceeded all expectation coming into Arizona. He would be an experienced all conference player and not a lot of teams have that coming back (and we don't). I guess Winger that you are for a team that is dominate by first year players along with KJ and JB. That is a bit risky. The first year players are we have coming in are really good and they are built not like normal freshman but I'm not convinced they can replace the conference player of the year and Wooden All American or a all defensive center and first team all conference player. We will miss Ballo but I understand having guys in the wings that are waiting.
I have seen Arizona run its offense thru a center who is a TO every time he is fouled. It doesnt work well enough. You have seen that and a SG who shoots and misses a lot and a PG who no shows with frequency. This isnt going to work in the B12 nor the NCAAT so I dont want to see it again. In terms of “first year players” both Johnson and Love were that this season. So I’d look for a few of those to add to what we have and what we have coming in. Sanon is Love reincarnated and will not sign if Love comes back.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Winger wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:35 pm

1-10 ORtg of 24
4-13 ORtg of 97
2-11 ORtg of 42
6-17 ORtg of 113
6-15 ORtg of 97
5-18 ORtg of 70

I have seen Arizona run its offense thru a center who is a TO every time he is fouled. It doesnt work well enough. You have seen that and a SG who shoots and misses a lot and a PG who no shows with frequency. This isnt going to work in the B12 nor the NCAAT so I dont want to see it again. In terms of “first year players” both Johnson and Love were that this season. So I’d look for a few of those to add to what we have and what we have coming in. Sanon is Love reincarnated and will not sign if Love comes back.
Winger, it seems like you're reading my mind. I felt the same way about Ballo and Love. Too much of a liability in games that matter.

Sanon has a much higher ceiling than Love and will likely get drafted in the first round. Coaches in the Big 12 are too smart not to take advantage of last year's weaknesses. Despite their contributions, we needed more out of Love and Ballo and Boswell in the tournament and they couldn't give it. Relative to the rest of the teams in the Pac we had a great year. But to your point, the big game stats from the big three are not sustainable. And pretty much every conference game next year will be a big game.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

1-10 ORtg of 24
4-13 ORtg of 97
2-11 ORtg of 42
6-17 ORtg of 113
6-15 ORtg of 97
5-18 ORtg of 70

When you say doesn't work well I guess you mean it wont work in the B12 but won the PAC 12 ? While I agree Love and Johnson were first year players at Arizona they were far from first year players in terms of experience. If you are right we will get 2 of the top 10 in the portal that can start. That would be great and I hope it happens.
Ballo's 5 or 6 missed free throws outweighs his double digit points and double digit rebounds, leadership and his defense? It is hard to say it is a turnover when he shoots 50% from the line (a career low). The reason Arizona did well this year is because they were dominate in rebounding. You and I just disagree on what Ballo's value is because I think losing an all conference and defensive 1st team player is significant. Ballo's gone now. We will see how much we miss him or don't. Especially when it comes to rebounding. I agree we won't miss his free throws.
Sanon from what I have seen (very limited) is a really good player. He does well in high school against other 17 y/o's. I hope you are right that he is as good as Love. I think you would agree that he is not as highly rated as any of this year's Kentucky recruits so I think there is a steep learning curve for even great players. I think the guy we our going to love is Phillips. That guy can really shoot. The big man coming in reminds me of the kind of guys Oregon gets. I think he will be good because he is just so athletic.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

TheCat wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:45 pm

1-10 ORtg of 24
4-13 ORtg of 97
2-11 ORtg of 42
6-17 ORtg of 113
6-15 ORtg of 97
5-18 ORtg of 70

When you say doesn't work well I guess you mean it wont work in the B12 but won the PAC 12 ? While I agree Love and Johnson were first year players at Arizona they were far from first year players in terms of experience. If you are right we will get 2 of the top 10 in the portal that can start. That would be great and I hope it happens.
Ballo's 5 or 6 missed free throws outweighs his double digit points and double digit rebounds, leadership and his defense? It is hard to say it is a turnover when he shoots 50% from the line (a career low). The reason Arizona did well this year is because they were dominate in rebounding. You and I just disagree on what Ballo's value is because I think losing an all conference and defensive 1st team player is significant. Ballo's gone now. We will see how much we miss him or don't. Especially when it comes to rebounding. I agree we won't miss his free throws.
Sanon from what I have seen (very limited) is a really good player. He does well in high school against other 17 y/o's. I hope you are right that he is as good as Love. I think you would agree that he is not as highly rated as any of this year's Kentucky recruits so I think there is a steep learning curve for even great players. I think the guy we our going to love is Phillips. That guy can really shoot. The big man coming in reminds me of the kind of guys Oregon gets. I think he will be good because he is just so athletic.
I agree that we will LOVE Phillips. He’s an athletic shooter, and has defensive potential. Best case scenario to me for short term is that Caleb comes back and Boswell leaves. I don’t want Boswell to go, but Caleb is so much better than him right now. I think Caleb chucks less this year knowing that we have guys like Sanon and Phillips that are better shooters than Boswell and Pelle.

I doubt that happens though, so I would like to see Boswell come back and play next to Bradley and be a more aggressive shooter, and learn to be engaged when his shot isn’t falling. He can impact the game with his defense, quickness, lane penetration, and rebounding.