Jaden Bradley

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

arizonawildcats

Jaden Bradley

Post by arizonawildcats »

https://heatcheckcbb.com/ncaa-basketbal ... uf-report/

Arizona’s X-Factor

It feels like the sky is falling whenever we talk about Arizona because the wheels kind of came off after an 8-0 start. The Wildcats went 6-5 in their next 11 games, including road losses to Stanford and Oregon State – teams that won’t sniff the NCAA Tournament.

But Tommy Lloyd’s squad has gotten things back on track with five consecutive wins. Though some have been close, Saturday’s thumping of Colorado indicates this group may have gotten its groove back.

There are several reasons for that. Kylan Boswell seems to have gotten out of his slump, Caleb Love isn’t shooting them out of the game and the bigs are producing consistently again.

However, an uptick in playing time for Jaden Bradley is as big a reason as any. The Alabama transfer played more minutes against Utah on Thursday and Colorado on Saturday than any other game this season, and he played well in both games. Bradley has an incredible ability to create offense for himself and has been an underrated defender (third in the Pac-12 in steal rate).

Per Hoop-Explorer, Arizona is significantly better on both ends of the floor when Bradley is playing.

That data shows Bradley’s defensive impact, which is most important to this team. Everyone on this roster can score at a high level and Tommy Lloyd’s system is perhaps the best in the country. Arizona needs to consistently defend well, too, if it’s going to make a run in the NCAA Tournament, and that’s something that wasn’t happening during those recent struggles.

With Bradley off the floor, the Wildcats are allowing nearly 106 points per 100 possessions while letting opponents shoot 38.0 percent from 3-point range. With him on the floor, those numbers fall to 88.9 and 30.5.

So while Arizona does need Boswell and Love to continue to play well and more efficiently, getting Bradley on the court more may be the bigger key.
84Cat

Re: Jaden Bradley

Post by 84Cat »

1 turnover in the last 8 games
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

20/1 AST to TO in his last 8 games for Bradley
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Great to see Bradley bring the D intensity and instant offense off the bench. Exactly what you want from a 6th man.
mofo

Post by mofo »

Starting to remind me of Jet...
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

He and Lewis have found a real niche and understand their role exactly for this team.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Absolute stud
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Can someone remind me- how many more years do we expect from him?
ProfessorFate

Post by ProfessorFate »

Stud
2023 Football RAP Champion
2022 Mark Schlabach Memorial Bracket Champion
2017 Bear Down Wildcats Survival Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Pitbulls of Tucson.............. AAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

That is awesome!
arizonawildcats

Post by arizonawildcats »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

What a time to have his best game of the year.

What an overall performance.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

All the love today.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Wow, Jaden killed it today. What a stud. Heard Tommy say he expects him to be on of our all time greats by the time he is done….i really hope so. Huge props to Jaden!!!!
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Picked a great time to have his best game as a Wildcat. One of the biggest stages in college basketball, and he was nails. Great to have a 6th man that picks up the D intensity and can make big buckets. Reminds me of Jason Terry.
Winger

Post by Winger »

Was going to write something on why Bradley needed to start vs Baylor. The numbers have been the same ever since Lloyd increased his minutes. Bos flashes but also goes dark. Some of the numbers are affected by playing vs starters compared w subs but it is not enough at this point to be statistically significant.

All that said, even if Baylor had won, as of today I feel like messing with the team’s mojo is probably the wrong move.

Despite the numbers.

Not positive on that but that is how it feels.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Start Bradley.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't imagine Boswell taking that well. Saw several instances where Lloyd was giving some constructive criticism to him and Boswell wouldn't even look at Lloyd.

Just give him a short hook like Lute used to do with Shakur.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It would be stupid to change up the lineup now...

Idiotic
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Minutes is all that matters. Just give Bradley more and have him in at crunch time
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I get all of that.

Also, start Bradley.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This would be the perfect time to blow up the team chemistry.

Brilliant
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I know Tommy's not going to start Bradley.

Maybe a more productive conversation is considering how quickly Bradley should enter the game, if KB gets off to a rough start.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Jaden is getting a ton of minutes and is 1st off bench and is a key component late in every game.

I really don’t understand what you are talking about
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

You can't fuck with the formula this late into the season.

Remember Tommy's first season? Pelle won sixth man of the year in the pac, then is rewarded by starting season 2 and being awful at it. So he goes back to coming off the bench, like 6 games into the season, not 36 games.

So not only should you not fuck with the formula this late into the season, you don't even know how Bradley will play as a starter vs coming off the bench.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

I love Bradley off the bench. Having a 6th man with no drop off from the starters, who may be an even better player than a starter is a weapon. Boz has a higher upside than Bradley in my opinion, but Bradley is a better defender. Start Boz, and if he's playing well, great. If not, as CTL put it, Bradley is Plan B, and it's a solid plan.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I love the Bradley/JT comparison.

I'm even old enough to remember the key contributions of Jordin Mayes in the 2011 tournament. Also a young guard like JB.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

I love the energy that KJ and Jaden bring to the game.

That’s working because it picks up the rest of the team. Start one or both of them and the jolt the bring into the game could be gone.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:12 am I know Tommy's not going to start Bradley.

Maybe a more productive conversation is considering how quickly Bradley should enter the game, if KB gets off to a rough start.
So Boswell scores 20 in the first game, struggles and it is now time to replace him and potentially screw up team chemistry and show a lack of confidence in what you have done all year. That sounds right.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:51 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:12 am I know Tommy's not going to start Bradley.

So Boswell scores 20 in the first game, struggles and it is now time to replace him and potentially screw up team chemistry and show a lack of confidence in what you have done all year. That sounds right.
So start Boswell, then?

I like Bradley. He’s been an important player the last few games. But Boswell needs to start for reasons well covered in this thread.
Winger

Post by Winger »

TheCat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:51 pm

For me w Baylor it was matchup based. Bos struggles frequently w perimeter D like Baylor’s and Bradley doesnt. So, dont take the chance of going down say 8 in the first 4 minutes. That posted, I dont think I’d have done it now that I have had time to cool off.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

We aren't playing Baylor. What's your point?
Winger

Post by Winger »

TheCat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:45 pm We aren't playing Baylor. What's your point?
That even with a favorable matchup, despite the metrics clearly favoring Bradley, I dont think you can make the move to start him.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Even talking about changing our starting lineup… a lineup we have used for EVERY game of the year…. In a sweet 16 matchup makes us all dumber
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Alieberman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:52 pm Even talking about changing our starting lineup… a lineup we have used for EVERY game of the year…. In a sweet 16 matchup makes us all dumber
Not all of us. Some of us can't get any dumber.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I don’t know, we did really well in the game Weitman started.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

It’s not happening so is a moot point.

And remember, it’s not who starts the game but ends it. The last game should prove to us that CTL understands that.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:12 am It’s not happening so is a moot point.

And remember, it’s not who starts the game but ends it. The last game should prove to us that CTL understands that.
This 💯
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:38 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:12 am It’s not happening so is a moot point.

This 💯
Arizona has a solid 8-man rotation, and the reserves are all excellent, allowing for individual starters to have off games...

... focus on the team, not the individuals - no matter who's on the court at any particular time!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:12 am And remember, it’s not who starts the game but ends it.
Like Pastner? :D

Like has oft been said, Lute's quote was similar to: It's not who starts, but who is out there at crunch time.

Ballo and Boswell are often on the bench then.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It didn’t hit me till this morning that if we win tomorrow, we play either Caleb’s or Jaden’s former team.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:29 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:12 am And remember, it’s not who starts the game but ends it.

Like has oft been said, Lute's quote was similar to: It's not who starts, but who is out there at crunch time.

Basketball games last at least 40 minutes. D'uh!!!

Oftentimes, the end game situation is consequent to what happened BEFORE - and that's why an 8-man rotation is critical!!!

Players on the floor for close finishes are, as they should be, situation-dependent!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Merkin wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:29 am

If our current crop of “Pastner’s” see the court it bodes well for us I think.

😉
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Dude is a stud and we don't win against Dayton or have a prayer today without him.

POY in the Big 12 is no easy task but Bradley is up for it.
Winger

Post by Winger »

Winger wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:22 pm
That even with a favorable matchup, despite the metrics clearly favoring Bradley, I dont think you can make the move to start him.
My first thought - start Bradley - (despite Clemson not being Baylor) was the right one.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

I place Jaden as the leading candidate for starting PG next season - it's his to lose.

Hope he keeps developing. He has good skills, and is a fierce competitor on both ends!

Hope he has competition for the job, but, all things being equal, I place Boz and Martinez as competing for backup.

― Kinky Friedman