2024-25 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

2024-25 Arizona Basketball

Post by Beachcat97 »

Figured we might as well have a single place to continue the chatter about next year.

Anyone wanna wager a guess as to our starting lineup? Probably not entirely possible just yet because I expect Tommy to be active with the transfer portal again.
Merkin

Re: 2024-25 Arizona Basketball

Post by Merkin »

All new starting 5 next season. Imagine Bradley and Lewis at the 1/2, and Krivas at the 5 unless Tommy can pull in Raynaud.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:37 am All new starting 5 next season. Imagine Bradley and Lewis at the 1/2, and Krivas at the 5 unless Tommy can pull in Raynaud.
This is Tommy’s best freshman class to date. In Phillips, Bryant and Sanon, he has some impressive wing/guard depth to play around with next season, and he’s also got a potential back up center in Stephen.

If Bradley, Lewis and all the Euros return, this is potentially a top 10 team.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

A large majority of posters on this board have expressed their view that they are glad that the UA will be playing in the Big12 next year. They are glad to be rid of the non-physical style of play in the PAC12 and the sometimes limited competition.

Let me take the contrarian view that the majority of posters on this board (and UA fans in general) will be unhappy with playing in the Big12 at this point next year. The reason is simple. The UA is going to lose MORE games, some years a LOT more games. And no fan enjoys seeing their team lose.

A 25-5 UA team in the PAC12 would mean a conference title, probably a PAC12 tourney title, and a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney. That same team in the Big12 might be a 20-10 team with a 3rd place finish, a 2 round exit in the Big12 tourney (in Kansas City) and a 3/4 seed in the NCAA tourney. Like it or not the UA has often been the Gonzaga of the PAC12 in some seasons in the PAC12. This has led to a lot of wins and very high Tourney seeds. That is about to come to an end.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:27 am A large majority of posters on this board have expressed their view that they are glad that the UA will be playing in the Big12 next year. They are glad to be rid of the non-physical style of play in the PAC12 and the sometimes limited competition.

Let me take the contrarian view that the majority of posters on this board (and UA fans in general) will be unhappy with playing in the Big12 at this point next year. The reason is simple. The UA is going to lose MORE games, some years a LOT more games. And no fan enjoys seeing their team lose.

A 25-5 UA team in the PAC12 would mean a conference title, probably a PAC12 tourney title, and a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney. That same team in the Big12 might be a 20-10 team with a 3rd place finish, a 2 round exit in the Big12 tourney (in Kansas City) and a 3/4 seed in the NCAA tourney. Like it or not the UA has often been the Gonzaga of the PAC12 in some seasons in the PAC12. This has led to a lot of wins and very high Tourney seeds. That is about to come to an end.
These are good points, dmj.

But I’d also point to the current group of teams in the Elite 8. Three of them (NC State, Clemson and Alabama) have over 10 losses on the season. So I don’t think having a weaker overall record necessarily means we’re worse off. It could mean the opposite, considering we’ll now be playing Kansas and Houston and Baylor every year. The Big 12 has been a MUCH better basketball conference than the Pac 12, going back several years.

I personally think there’s more upside with this move. Tommy can perhaps recruit the south and Midwest more effectively, and we’re going to be much more battle tested each March.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

dmjcat wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:27 am A large majority of posters on this board have expressed their view that they are glad that the UA will be playing in the Big12 next year. They are glad to be rid of the non-physical style of play in the PAC12 and the sometimes limited competition.

So, live up to this negativity, and predict all these lossses BEFORE the games, please.

Seems like Big-12 teams were well seeded this year.

OTOH, the Pac-12 and Big-12 have exactly the same number of teams in the EE.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

Of course we're gonna lose more games, we're gonna be playing better competition year in year out
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

I can't see us going into next year with four 7 footers. With Krivas, Anderson, Veesaar, and Emmanuel Stephen coming in, someone is going to end up transferring. Don't think it'll be Krivas. Doubt Stephen would de-commit. We'll see about the other two. Does Borovicanin want to stick around too? He's basically wasted a couple years on the bench and probably won't get a lot of PT next year either. Would love to see Maurauskas as the PF if he can handle playing defense.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Every coach has a sit down with each player after the season is over, and lets them know what is expected and what to expect.

I imagine Filip will be the first to go of the non-seniors. He played more for Serbia in 7 games than in 2 years for Arizona.

https://arizonawildcats.com/sports/mens ... anin/15369

Summer 2023

Played for Serbia at FIBA U19 World Cup in Hungary
Averaged 14.1 points, 7.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 1.3 steals in the seven games
Had three double-doubles in the final four games of the event
Scored 25 points and grabbed 11 boards against Korea
Dropped 13 points and hauled down 11 rebounds against France
In the fifth place game, scored 21 points and had 14 rebounds against Argentina
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think after these upcoming meetings we are going to see as many as 4 or 5 guys transfer. We have some impressive freshman coming in and they will work well with Bradley and Lewis who should be no brainer starters.

Biggest question for me is Fili, Veesaar and even Krivas and Marouskas. I actually like Veesaar as I think he has the physicality to pound with the bigs in the 12. Krivas scares me a bit in that area and he needs a good off season in the weight room.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Winger

Post by Winger »

Agree with Arizona fans and the reaction to B12 losses. Will be interested to see what McKale is like next season.

Lloyd is going to have to change his roster to compete in the B12. He did so a bit this past season with the additions of Love, Johnson, and Bradley. He might have to reconfigure his systems a bit as well.

For me, Lloyd has earned the benefit of the doubt. All last off season OTOB I cautioned patience and not freaking out until Lloyd had rebuilt the roster (I also didn’t/don’t think much of Kaluma and even Nembhard hardly moved the needle for me) because I felt after season 1 he deserved that accommodation.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt now, both on rebuilding the roster and adapting to the B12, and think others should as well; but I am nervous about the move and will be a Nelly until Arizona shows it can finish at the top of the conference just about every season.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

That's really generous of you giving him the benefit of the doubt considering he is a two time conference champ, two time PAC tourney champ and made the sweet sixteen 2 out of 3 years not to mention his wins in these three years is nearly a record while playing Duke, Alabama, Wisconsin etc. (3 teams he beat). I agree we are going to be very young next year playing in a difficult league. I don't expect we will be in the top 1-3 for at least a couple of years. Adding a PF in the portal is important if we have the scholarship band width.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:20 pm That's really generous of you giving him the benefit of the doubt considering he is a two time conference champ, two time PAC tourney champ and made the sweet sixteen 2 out of 3 years not to mention his wins in these three years is nearly a record while playing Duke, Alabama, Wisconsin etc. (3 teams he beat). I agree we are going to be very young next year playing in a difficult league. I don't expect we will be in the top 1-3 for at least a couple of years. Adding a PF in the portal is important if we have the scholarship band width.
Wild prediction: Arizona will finish top 3 in the Big 12 next season.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

I'm curious if being battled tested in the Big 12 will lead to a better March run. Winning the conference and/or the conference tournament will be near impossible, so maybe that will also the fire the guys up for March more.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:11 pm I'm curious if being battled tested in the Big 12 will lead to a better March run. Winning the conference and/or the conference tournament will be near impossible, so maybe that will also the fire the guys up for March more.
Big 12 had 2 Sweet 16 teams and 0 Elite 8 teams stan
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Do not force out Kylan or Ballo or Larsson or Love
Winger

Post by Winger »

TheCat wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:20 pm That's really generous of you giving him the benefit of the doubt considering he is a two time conference champ, two time PAC tourney champ and made the sweet sixteen 2 out of 3 years not to mention his wins in these three years is nearly a record while playing Duke, Alabama, Wisconsin etc. (3 teams he beat). I agree we are going to be very young next year playing in a difficult league. I don't expect we will be in the top 1-3 for at least a couple of years. Adding a PF in the portal is important if we have the scholarship band width.
Your tone stinks. Made worse by you consistently not comprehending and moving goalposts. Winning games is a different thing than rebuilding a roster and adapting to a conference where the style of ball is significantly different. This is complicated by Lloyd’s play-style not being suited for the B12. Which is a fact reflected in his NCAA tournament performance to date. In today’s world it shouldn’t take Arizona 1 season to compete at the top of that conference, forget 2.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Winger I appreciate your concern. What really stinks to me is that you felt it necessary to "give him the benefit of the doubt now" after he has demonstrated with performance and success not seen before. While I'm sure CTL appreciates support from such a knowledgeable fan as you, how do you square the two statements of "Lloyd's play style not being suited for the B12" and "it shouldn't take Arizona 1 season to compete at the top of that conference". Or is quoting your own words moving the goal post again or is it pointing out contradictions? Why do we need to play Big 12 basketball instead to making them adjust to us? Duke couldn't adjust, Alabama couldn't, Tom Izzo couldn't, Wisconsin failed. As I stated before there are only two team in college basketball that have a better performance than Arizona reaching the sweet 16 (Houston and Gonzaga). That is a measuring stick of all Div 1 teams. No varnish no moving the goalpost.
I hope it will not take us long to compete at the top of that conference, but unlike the teams in that conference which will be preparing to play a handful of new teams they haven't seen, Arizona will need to prepare for most of the league. That of course compounded by " adapting to a conference where the style of ball is significantly different". I hope our recruits can handle that since they were recruited to play a different style. LOL.
There will be growing pains in the new league that I'm certain of. For one we will be competing in a league where fans care about and support their teams. Not a huge concern we see in the PAC. We probably will never lead the conference in attendance again because of larger arenas. I'm confident we will overcome these concerns and will be extremely successful.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I get this, but at least when Arizona loses next year in conference it won't be to teams ranked 85th,104th, & 154th in Kenpom. Arizona couldn't afford to have an off night in the Pac-12, because the loss would be damning to their resume. Now when they do have an inevitable off night it won't be ridiculously detrimental to their resume nor will Arizona have to be basically flawless in non-conference to maintain a good seed in the tournament.

We're going to lose more, 100%. It'll just be much more bearable when these losses occur now.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:25 pm
AZCatGirl wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:11 pm I'm curious if being battled tested in the Big 12 will lead to a better March run. Winning the conference and/or the conference tournament will be near impossible, so maybe that will also the fire the guys up for March more.
Jesus you are just an awful poster lol. Are you friends with the guy that runs this site or are just you grandfathered into this group or something and they feel they have to keep you around?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Winger wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:10 pm Agree with Arizona fans and the reaction to B12 losses. Will be interested to see what McKale is like next season.

Lloyd is going to have to change his roster to compete in the B12. He did so a bit this past season with the additions of Love, Johnson, and Bradley. He might have to reconfigure his systems a bit as well.

For me, Lloyd has earned the benefit of the doubt. All last off season OTOB I cautioned patience and not freaking out until Lloyd had rebuilt the roster (I also didn’t/don’t think much of Kaluma and even Nembhard hardly moved the needle for me) because I felt after season 1 he deserved that accommodation.

I will give him the benefit of the doubt now, both on rebuilding the roster and adapting to the B12, and think others should as well; but I am nervous about the move and will be a Nelly until Arizona shows it can finish at the top of the conference just about every season.
Good post.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:01 am
Jesus you are just an awful poster lol. Are you friends with the guy that runs this site or are just you grandfathered into this group or something and they feel they have to keep you around?
Every party has its pooper.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Winger

Post by Winger »

TheCat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:32 am Winger I appreciate your concern. What really stinks to me is that you felt it necessary to "give him the benefit of the doubt now" after he has demonstrated with performance and success not seen before. While I'm sure CTL appreciates support from such a knowledgeable fan as you, how do you square the two statements of "Lloyd's play style not being suited for the B12" and "it shouldn't take Arizona 1 season to compete at the top of that conference". Or is quoting your own words moving the goal post again or is it pointing out contradictions? Why do we need to play Big 12 basketball instead to making them adjust to us? Duke couldn't adjust, Alabama couldn't, Tom Izzo couldn't, Wisconsin failed. As I stated before there are only two team in college basketball that have a better performance than Arizona reaching the sweet 16 (Houston and Gonzaga). That is a measuring stick of all Div 1 teams. No varnish no moving the goalpost.
I hope it will not take us long to compete at the top of that conference, but unlike the teams in that conference which will be preparing to play a handful of new teams they haven't seen, Arizona will need to prepare for most of the league. That of course compounded by " adapting to a conference where the style of ball is significantly different". I hope our recruits can handle that since they were recruited to play a different style. LOL.
There will be growing pains in the new league that I'm certain of. For one we will be competing in a league where fans care about and support their teams. Not a huge concern we see in the PAC. We probably will never lead the conference in attendance again because of larger arenas. I'm confident we will overcome these concerns and will be extremely successful.
Doesn't make sense to me that you are put off by me giving Lloyd the benefit of the doubt, especially when I note that his past performance in successfully putting together rosters is a part of that.

You square those 2 statements by understanding that they have nothing to do with each other and recognizing that transfers are free and easy now. You could add what you think Lloyd has coming back in terms of personnel coupled with his very good recruiting class if you're inclined to believe that freshmen can contribute meaningfully.

You're right on making them adjust to us and I'd bet that Lloyd feels the same way. I don't think Arizona is good enough to single handedly change the conference and win it every year playing the types of players Lloyd has and same for the style. That is a guess though and could be wrong. If I am right he and his players are going to need to learn how to play with the refs calling the games looser, with a slower tempo, and with ability to score in the half court vs very good defenses.

I also believe we are going to lose more conference games than we are used to and wonder how that will play in McKale and with the fanbase. I don't believe we should acquiesce to being happy with 3rd or worse place finishes every season. We should expect to compete for titles just about every season. In the same way we expect Arizona to make some Final Fours.
Last edited by Winger on Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

https://tucson.com/sports/college/baske ... TucsonStar

ARIZONA MEN'S BASKETBALL | OFFSEASON QUESTIONS
Like most teams in NIL/portal era, Wildcats could see total roster makeover for 2024-25

Bruce Pascoe
College basketball has one year left to flush COVID-year waivers almost completely out of its system, and the Arizona Wildcats could benefit yet again.

Last spring, the Wildcats picked up energy, defense and opportunistic offense from forward Keshad Johnson, who played four seasons at San Diego State but chose to take the extra year of eligibility to anyone who participated in the COVID-restricted 2020-21 season and apply it at Arizona.

This spring, the Wildcats could go into the portal to pick up a replacement for Johnson, and/or other veterans who could help lead a group that is expected to include a well-regarded 2024 recruiting class of four freshman.

Or maybe the Wildcats even keep one of their seniors with a COVID year remaining. That’s one of many questions facing the Wildcats as they head into college basketball’s roster transition season.

1. Will Ballo or any senior stick around?
High-level fourth and fifth-year college basketball players are staying in school more often in the NIL era, especially if their potential earnings from NIL collectives at their current or new school outweigh what they are likely to make in the NBA, G-League or internationally.

On3.com reported last spring that high-level men’s basketball players entering the transfer portal — or their agents — often seek between $250,000 and $400,000 per season. Purdue center Zach Edey, for one, might have commanded a two-way NBA/G League deal worth about $500,000 last spring but said upon deciding to return to school that the “money was going to be pretty similar so it was just really what I wanted to do.”

UA's Oumar Ballo could follow a similar path. The center is not listed among ESPN’s top 100 available NBA Draft picks, while he’s been effusive in his positive feelings for the Arizona program and coach Tommy Lloyd — and UA is believed to be competitive in the NIL space.

Still, Ballo left it up in the air after Arizona's season-ending loss to Clemson in the Sweet 16 on Thursday.

Arizona center Oumar Ballo has enjoyed his time in Tucson and could return for 2024-25 if he wants.

“I'm gonna have a meeting with coaches and I'm gonna see what's gonna happen the next couple of weeks,” Ballo said. “I love Arizona, but also you have to do what's best for you. So I don't know what I'm gonna do.”

UA’s other fourth-year seniors, Caleb Love and Pelle Larsson, said they didn’t know yet what they will do, though it appears unlikely they would stay.

Because of his potential as a versatile point guard in the NBA, Larsson is a projected second-round NBA Draft pick who could move into the first round with a strong predraft showing.

ESPN rates Larsson the No. 41st overall available NBA draft prospect while Love is ranked No. 96 despite being the Pac-12's Player of the Year. Johnson is UA’s highest-rated prospect at No. 38, and Kylan Boswell is No. 75.

There are 60 spots in the draft, though the top undrafted players can often command two-way contracts.

2. Who’s portaling?
With virtually no restrictions anymore on transfers of any kind, and with NIL luring players into and out of the transfer portal, it’s hard to assume any player returns.

“Everybody’s a free agent,” UCLA coach Mick Cronin says, noting how NIL “collectives (are) recruiting and paying players.”

Of course, there’s also the traditional reason guys transfer from a high-major program: a lack of playing time.

That might be the case with Serbian sophomore Filip Borovicanin, who is in much the same place that Adama Bal was as a lightly-used sophomore last season when he transferred to Santa Clara (and became a standout).

UA also had two other available players outside of the playing rotation this season: Lithuanians Paulius Murauskas and Spanish guard Conrad Martinez, though Martinez said earlier this month that he signed on at Arizona knowing he wouldn’t play much right away.

“I just wanted to come here to improve at basketball physically and be able to study for a degree, too,” Martinez said.

In addition, UA had two redshirts this season, both of whom have indicated they are staying on board: sophomore forward Henri Veesaar, who sat out after injuring his elbow in a freak preseason golf cart accident, and sophomore forward Dylan Anderson, who chose to redshirt and says he's improved behind the scenes.

Arizona forward Dylan Anderson says redshirting this season will make him more of a force for 2024-25.

“One hundred percent,” Anderson said. “Next year, you guys are going to see what I did this year.”

Freshman KJ Lewis, who averaged 18.3 minutes in a key reserve guard role this season, also spoke about reaching another level next season.

“I think it's been up and down” this season, Lewis said before UA’s second-round NCAA Tournament game with Dayton. “But as the season has grown, I think I showed spurts of my progress and progression as a player and showed glimpses of what I could be.

“I'm just trying to take it a day at a time, going into the summer locked in and working on myself, working on my body and my game.”

3. Could Europe lure anyone away?
For UA’s international players, there’s always another way to pursue free agency: By going to or near their homes and signing a potentially lucrative contract as a non-import player.

But international players culturally are less likely to transfer to another school, having often grown up with the same basketball club and national team program, instead of hopping between shoe-ball clubs every year or month as American players often do.

That might explain why former UA standout Azuolas Tubelis of Lithuania never entered the portal before declaring for the NBA Draft last spring after three seasons with the Wildcats.

It's not clear where fellow Lithuanians Krivas and Murauskas stand. Both played in Lithuania’s top league last season and could conceivably return at any time, though Krivas said he needed to get better while expressing appreciation for what his freshman season brought.

“I’ll remember this season my whole life,” Krivas said. “This team was something special.”

The late play of Arizona guard Jaden Bradley, right, especially against Clemson in the Sweet 16, shows he's in line to be a starter next season.

4. Who stays in the backcourt?

While sophomore point guards Jaden Bradley and Boswell both said they enjoy playing together and have supported each other all season, it’s hard to imagine both return to the Wildcats next season.

In fact, Boswell appears somewhat in the same place that he put Kerr Kriisa in last spring, when he was an up-and-coming freshman who appeared ready to take over as the Wildcats’ starting point guard.

Now, Bradley is coming off a strong finish to the season, while Boswell has slumped, scoring four points or less in four of his final five games this season. After he had three points on 1-for-6 shooting against Clemson on Thursday, Boswell said he would figure things out with Lloyd upon returning to Tucson, but was noncommittal.

A McDonald’s high school All-American who transferred from Alabama last spring, Bradley could return as a potential starter, take a peek in the portal or even test the NBA Draft process himself, with his strong finish showing off his two-way skills.

5. What about the freshmen?
Arizona also has three signees scheduled to arrive late this spring or early in the summer, including five-star forward Carter Bryant, four-star guard Jamari Phillips and four-star center Emmanuel Stephen.

Then there’s Joson Sanon, a highly regarded 6-foot-5 class of 2025 guard who committed to Arizona earlier this month and said he plans to reclassify in order to become eligible for the Wildcats next season.

A native of Massachusetts with parents from Haiti, Sanon has drawn comparison to aggressive scoring wing Bennedict Mathurin, a native of Montreal also with Haitian roots.

“I feel like I will fit in with my shot-making,” Sanon said. “Especially with how they move without the ball … I’m pretty much a three-level scorer.

If Sanon reclassifies, he would bring the Wildcats’ tentative roster of players eligible for 2024-25 up to 16 players.

There are 13 scholarship spots available. But in this day and age, that means nothing. There’s lots of expected movement ahead for Arizona and just about everyone else in college basketball.

Arizona's 'roster' entering spring transition season
Arizona players expected to be eligible as of now for the 2024-25 season:

Player, Class, Pos., Ht., Wt., Hometown

Dylan Anderson, Jr., F, 7-0, 240, Gilbert

Oumar Ballo, Sr., C, 7-0, 260, Koulikoro, Mali

Filip Borovicanin, Jr., F, 6-9, 225, Belgrade, Serbia

Kylan Boswell, Jr., G, 6-2, 200, Champaign, Ill.

Jaden Bradley, Jr., G, 6-3, 200, Rochester, N.Y.

Carter Bryant, Fr,. F, 6-8, 225, Riverside, Calif.

Motiejus Krivas, So., C, 7-2, 260, Siauliai, Lithuania

Pelle Larsson, Sr., G, 6-5, 215, Nacka, Sweden

KJ Lewis, So., G, 6-4, 205, El Paso

Caleb Love, Sr,. 6-4, 205, St. Louis

Conrad Martinez, So., G, 6-0, 165, Granollers, Spain

Paulius Murauskas, Fr., F, 6-8, 225, Kaunas, Lithuania

Jamari Phillips, Fr,. G, 6-3, 190, Stockton, Calif.

Joson Sanon, Fr., G, 6-5, 190, Fall River, Mass.

Emmanuel Stephen, Fr,. C, 7-0, 215, Lagos, Nigeria

Henri Veesaar, Jr., F, 7-0, 225, Tallinn, Estonia
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I don't know why pundits keep thinking the seniors may come back. They all participated in the senior day ceremonies and I don't recall anyone ever coming back after participating.

The nice thing about going overseas, besides going overseas, is that you don't have to attend classes. Ballo even redshirted at Gonzaga, so he has an extra of classes already.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Merkin wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:30 pm I don't know why pundits keep thinking the seniors may come back. They all participated in the senior day ceremonies and I don't recall anyone ever coming back after participating.

The nice thing about going overseas, besides going overseas, is that you don't have to attend classes. Ballo even redshirted at Gonzaga, so he has an extra of classes already.
Straight cash, homie.

More money from NIL than playing in Turkey.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Well, count me among those who would LOVE to see Ballo back. He's no Edey, but he's a very good center and would be even better next year.
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:07 pm Well, count me among those who would LOVE to see Ballo back. He's no Edey, but he's a very good center and would be even better next year.
Agree

I’d like him to be the leader of the team in their debut in the Big 12

He played very well the last 10 games of the season and I think he has shown the motivation to improve. I’d like him to improve in 1 of a few categories: better defense away from the basket, better passer out of the double team or with cutters to the basket, or a better free throw shooter.
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:07 am
ChooChooCat wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:01 am
Every party has its pooper.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

PG: Kylan, Conrad
SG: Jaden, Jamari
SF: KJ, Sanon, Filip
PF: Carter, Paulius
C: Krivas, Henri, Dylan, Stephen

pre-transer/nil/covid this would be the team next year. I think they could add a wing defender and be one of the best teams next year.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

SunnyAZ wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:56 am PG: Kylan, Conrad

pre-transer/nil/covid this would be the team next year. I think they could add a wing defender and be one of the best teams next year.
I see it differently - pretty sure some will leave - likely one add (PF???)

PG: Jaden, Kylan, Conrad
SG: KJ, Jamari
SF: Carter, Sanon, Filip
PF: Henri, Paulius
C: Krivas, Dylan, Stephen

Of course, players won't be limited by traditionally-defined roles - I think a regular starting lineup will not be established until January...
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I am really interested in Dylan's development. I think he is going to be good. If Henri returns I think he has been shooting more from the outside in practice and we may have an effective high/low game again. Freshman are always a crap shoot on how they play but we have a group of good ones that can shoot.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:27 am
SunnyAZ wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:56 am PG: Kylan, Conrad

I see it differently - pretty sure some will leave - likely one add (PF???)

PG: Jaden, Kylan, Conrad
SG: KJ, Jamari
SF: Carter, Sanon, Filip
PF: Henri, Paulius
C: Krivas, Dylan, Stephen

Of course, players won't be limited by traditionally-defined roles - I think a regular starting lineup will not be established until January...

Looks like the writing is on the wall for Filip B. A star for Serbia in the FIBU U19, and not making it into the playing rotation for Arizona in his 3rd season. I've read some speculation about Veesaar leaving too, but don't have any inside sources.

Martinez did say recently that he knew he was not going to play much. I liked what little I saw of him, very pesky defender like TJ.
Last edited by Merkin on Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think the biggest impact to next season’s roster will again be transfers. Some will leave, others will arrive. May be a little while before our roster comes into focus beyond the incoming freshmen and the likely returners (Bradley, Lewis, Krivas).
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Speaking of transfers…
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Bummer. I had high hopes for Paulius.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

84Cat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:03 am Bummer. I had high hopes for Paulius.
He must see what I do which is that he wasn’t going to crack the rotation. Same for Borovicanin.
Fishclamps

Post by Fishclamps »

That sucks, he was supposed to be our sniper. Really thought he should have gotten more play than he did this year just to see what he could do.
Last edited by Fishclamps on Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Just a reminder that just because a player enters the portal doesn't necessarily means he is going to transfer.........see Tacario Davis.

He could be just checking whats out there.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

We're definitely going to need a PF from the transfer portal. Carter is listed as a SF but I guess he could play PF if absolutely necessary. I'm sure there's one out there somewhere that would love to possibly start for a fast paced team with a lot of potential next year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

dmjcat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:14 am Just a reminder that just because a player enters the portal doesn't necessarily means he is going to transfer.........see Tacario Davis.
Also that once a player enters the portal, the school is no longer required to take them back if they do want to return.

Does Lloyd want to jettison Filip and Paulius to make room? Although I can't imagine either will want to sit on the bench when they could be starters at many other schools.

With no more transfer restrictions, they can go mid-major, put up some big numbers, then get back into a power conference.
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Dang - that is disappointing to see Murauskas go into the portal. We've been needing a 4 that can stroke some shots, but I guess his defense wasn't up to snuff off the bat?
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Merkin wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:30 pm I don't know why pundits keep thinking the seniors may come back. They all participated in the senior day ceremonies and I don't recall anyone ever coming back after participating.

I think all the schools wanted to honor the seniors to make sure they had a ceremony even if they decided to come back to use their last COVID year. Puff Johnson just did that at Penn State and I'd imagine a lot of coaches might convince guys to stay after N.C. State's run.
GTownCat

Post by GTownCat »

Chicat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:56 am Speaking of transfers…
Ughhhh. I know we wanted to see him play more and he showed he could shoot a bit, but on the other hand people will say he just didn’t develop, etc. So which is it? I feel like this comes up with every recent transfer.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

― Kinky Friedman
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I know that the coaching staff has a plan. I know we will be getting guys who are good players.

But the guys leaving should be thanks and celebrated. There should not be joy or excitement with them leaving and no one should be minimizing them like the leader of the shitty movement is doing
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Reads like Tommy already had the one on one player meetings and is letting everyone know where they stand.

Like we all know, Lute wasn't shy about telling players they weren't going to get many minutes if they stayed, and some told them directly they were welcome to leave.

Maybe Tommy realized that using Euro players doesn't lead to long tourney runs.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Merkin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:06 am Reads like Tommy already had the one on one player meetings and is letting everyone know where they stand.

Like we all know, Lute wasn't shy about telling players they weren't going to get many minutes if they stayed, and some told them directly they were welcome to leave.

You are blame our European guys for the awful shooting night by Love and Boswell?

If we didn’t have so many Euro players then a few of those 3s go in and we win comfortably?
Winger

Post by Winger »

Merkin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:06 am Reads like Tommy already had the one on one player meetings and is letting everyone know where they stand.

I don’t know if Lloyd realized that or not but it has been a long time concern of mine, as has the possibility that Europeans are also not well-suited for B12-type basketball.

Wonder at this point what Lloyd is going to do with European recruiting going forward, given the very high percentage of washout of his European recruits from the Arizona basketball program.