2024-25 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

84Cat

Re: 2024-25 Arizona Basketball

Post by 84Cat »

pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:06 am Reads like Tommy already had the one on one player meetings and is letting everyone know where they stand.

Like we all know, Lute wasn't shy about telling players they weren't going to get many minutes if they stayed, and some told them directly they were welcome to leave.

Maybe Tommy realized that using Euro players doesn't lead to long tourney runs.
Wasn't an issue this season. What's your basis for this speculation?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Tommy may deserve criticism/questioning over how this season ended, but one area I have very little concern is recruiting. Tommy Lloyd is an outstanding recruiter, and he'll put another fantastic roster together for 2024-25. And it will reflect lessons learned from this past season.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:36 am Tommy may deserve criticism/questioning over how this season ended, but one area I have very little concern is recruiting. Tommy Lloyd is an outstanding recruiter, and he'll put another fantastic roster together for 2024-25. And it will reflect lessons learned from this past season.
Which transfers are we counting on being rejected by their first choices this year?

Asking for a friend. :roll:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:39 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:36 am Tommy may deserve criticism/questioning over how this season ended, but one area I have very little concern is recruiting. Tommy Lloyd is an outstanding recruiter, and he'll put another fantastic roster together for 2024-25. And it will reflect lessons learned from this past season.
Which transfers are we counting on being rejected by their first choices this year?

AZ wasn't Bradley's first choice? Or Keshad's?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Another fake ass outrage by the loser movement
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:47 am

The guy that picked Gonzaga. Remember when all the shitty people with the same loser saying in their header freaked out about Lloyd not being able to recruit
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:49 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:47 am

The guy that picked Gonzaga. Remember when all the shitty people with the same loser saying in their header freaked out about Lloyd not being able to recruit
Still think we got the better player in Love. But...Nembhard has another year. So which is better, one year of Love or two of Nembhard?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Not the point
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Filip would be good if he was a little more athletic. I think he is the best passer on the team. But his athleticism is prob under the Mendoza line.
GTownCat

Post by GTownCat »

84Cat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:31 am
I know that with some kids obviously things don’t work out, but serious question does this kind of thing ever affect recruiting “pipelines”? Like can Lithuania or whoever come back and be like “oh don’t go to Arizona because xyz”. Again, I know coaches can be in good (or bad) with AAU coaches and all that, but just wondering if on an international level how that’s affected.
Winger

Post by Winger »

I have been worried (self-created) about the opposite. Can you take so many foreign players that the American scene starts to blow you off? Judging by the incoming class that never happened, or hasnt happed, but I have wondered if that was part of Lloyd’s comment early in that he cant have 8 Euros on the roster every year.
LuteIsGod

Post by LuteIsGod »

Merkin wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:06 am Reads like Tommy already had the one on one player meetings and is letting everyone know where they stand.

Like we all know, Lute wasn't shy about telling players they weren't going to get many minutes if they stayed, and some told them directly they were welcome to leave.

Maybe Tommy realized that using Euro players doesn't lead to long tourney runs.
But you know who stuck it out because he knew he could contribute in one form or another???

Fuckin’ Josh Ash…..dude sacrificed it all for the Cats!
I will see you there, or I will see you on another time
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:33 am Wasn't an issue this season. What's your basis for this speculation?
The 4 scholarship players with the lowest minutes for Arizona this season were all Euros and 2 of them are already transferring. No Euros so far signed for 2024 and the only foreign player (Stephen) is already playing in the US.

Doesn't even include Veesaar which may be the next player out.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I don’t think the guys that redshirted are going to transfer. Could be wrong but it seems odd to be coaxed into sitting a year then not getting a shot.

I still think either Boz or Martinez will enter the portal.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:27 pm I don’t think the guys that redshirted are going to transfer. Could be wrong but it seems odd to be coaxed into sitting a year then not getting a shot.

It would be weird to lose our starting PG to the portal, even if it's a guy some of us have soured on.

I remember when Momo transferred to Iona, and it was right after he had a HUGE game against Duke in the NCAA tourney. He went on to do pretty well in his last two years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azcat49 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:27 pm I don’t think the guys that redshirted are going to transfer. Could be wrong but it seems odd to be coaxed into sitting a year then not getting a shot.
True about Anderson, but Veesaar falling off the top of a golf court may have made that choice for him.
Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:47 pm It would be weird to lose our starting PG to the portal, even if it's a guy some of us have soured on.
Kind of like last season? :)
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:47 pm

It would be weird to lose our starting PG to the portal, even if it's a guy some of us have soured on.
Two years in a row??

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:30 pm

Two years in a row??
Yes, two bleeping years in a row, though Boswell was a top rated PG in his class while Kriisa was...um...a high risk high reward international prospect who turned out to be 95% bark, 5% bite.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:09 pm

Two years in a row??
Yes, two bleeping years in a row, though Boswell was a top rated PG in his class while Kriisa was...um...a high risk high reward international prospect who turned out to be 95% bark, 5% bite.
Kriisa served well as PG for two seasons, was popular with fans, and did nothing to earn any disrespect from Arizona fans whatsoever.

Not. One. Single. Thing.

I hate it when Arizona fans dis their own players! I saw it with Kenny Lofton; with Shakur; with Kriisa; and waiting for it with Boz.

Fuck that! I just don't understand or identify with that kind of behavior towards college age athletes.

Disappointment, sure. But disrespect???

WTF causes that entitlement from fans? Can you explain it please?

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

pc in NM wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:30 pm

Two years in a row??
Kriisa served well as PG for two seasons, was popular with fans, and did nothing to earn any disrespect from Arizona fans whatsoever.

Not. One. Single. Thing.

I hate it when Arizona fans dis their own players! I saw it with Kenny Lofton; with Shakur; with Kriisa; and waiting for it with Boz.

Fuck that! I just don't understand or identify with that kind of behavior towards college age athletes.

I'm sure Kriisa's a nice person. I just think we can do better at the PG position.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Beachcat97 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:10 pm
pc in NM wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:30 pm

Two years in a row??

Not. One. Single. Thing.

I'm sure Kriisa's a nice person. I just think we can do better at the PG position.
With all due respect to a positive poster, I do not consider that to be a serious response.

― Kinky Friedman
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

PC it also baffles me. Everytime we fall short of our own expectations we need to find a villian. I think some fans get their own self esteem from the outcome of these games and just can't appreciate the effort that athletes have put in to play the game they love to watch. I am disappointed when we lose but I realize that is nothing compared to how the athlete feels. I think that feeling contributed to Boz reluctance to shoot at times this year. Not being afraid to fail is an incredible gift that will drive you to incredible performance and also devastating losses. It is important to have that player on your team.

PC I hope that we continue to embrace not only the victories but the incredible sacrifice these players have made not just while they were at Arizona but for a long time before. They have represented our university well and that is all I can ask.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I, for one, hope both Boz and Martinez stay.

Boz will be greater next year, and Martinez is gonna have a great Frosh/Soph leap.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
Winger

Post by Winger »

“Did nothing to earn any disrespect”

Not sure about that.

Against NCAA rules he scalped his allotment of home-game tickets and got busted and penalized for it. Note that Arizona was a program immediately coming off of a major NCAA investigation and was under probation at the time. He transferred away from the program. He also excused the loss to Princeton by stating that he didn’t value the NCAA Tournament, at a program like Arizona (!!) where everything that has been built has been built on a foundation of NCAA Tournament achievements. “Disrespect” is a loaded term but I personally found his never-ending trash talking to be a negative. As was his continual look at me act (which was in part manifest by Lloyd making the mistake of allowing him to put his first name on the back of his jersey) which isn’t the best look for a PG.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

I have no inside sources, but my gut says we should expect 1 or maybe 2 more transfers in the coming weeks.

My eyes are on Henri and Boswell.

I hope Boswell stays and can deal with coming off the bench or at least having a competition for starting role.

I also see the potential with Henri, but would understand him leaving as there are 3 different 7 footers competing for a starting role at the 5. And He doesn’t really have the lateral quickness to guard modern PFs.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

We also now have 0 seniors on the roster. I would expect that Tommy would add some senior players through the portal.

Currently our roster is this:

Guards:
Bradley
Phillips
Boswell
Martinez

Wings:
Lewis
Bryant
Sanon

Bigs:
Krivas
Anderson
Veesaar
Stephens

Leaving us with 2 open spots at the moment. I think our bigs are covered. I would think we add a knockdown shooter and a 6’7-6’9 defender.

Hopefully leadership guys that don’t mind coming off the bench (I know that’s rare). Because our possible starting lineup is solid.

Bradley
Phillips
Lewis
Bryant
Krivas

With main rotation guys:

Boswell
Anderson/Veesaar
Sanon
Martinez
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Winger wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:52 am “Did nothing to earn any disrespect”

Not sure about that.

Against NCAA rules he scalped his allotment of home-game tickets and got busted and penalized for it. Note that Arizona was a program immediately coming off of a major NCAA investigation and was under probation at the time. He transferred away from the program. He also excused the loss to Princeton by stating that he didn’t value the NCAA Tournament, at a program like Arizona (!!) where everything that has been built has been built on a foundation of NCAA Tournament achievements. “Disrespect” is a loaded term but I personally found his never-ending trash talking to be a negative. As was his continual look at me act (which was in part manifest by Lloyd making the mistake of allowing him to put his first name on the back of his jersey) which isn’t the best look for a PG.
1) he was a better PG in each of his seasons than Arizona had this last season.

2)Arizona had a better record and end-of-season ranking in each of his seasons than this season (assuming final ranking will be lower than #8)

3) he was the emotional leader on the floor in each of his seasons. That was, unfortunately never replaced since his transfer.

4) I was sad to see him leave, even while understanding that CTL wanted different skills in the PG position. I had hoped that Boz could meet the challenge, but, in terms of on-the-floor leadership, becoming a penetrating guard, and three-pi

5) I did not see anyone here through either of Kriisa's seasons complain about his trash-talking - if anything it was regarded positively. Just as Jada Williams' doing even more of the same is also!

6) His behavior leading to his suspension was completely unknown to Arizona fans prior to the following season. Hindsight garbage!

I'm not asking anyone to enshrine him, honor his tenure, but merely to treat him (and Lofton, Shakur, and others who were good players, positive team members, and clearly were contributors to success - basically as a "Wildcat forever"

― Kinky Friedman
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

A few thoughts.

A wonder how much leadership guys who transfer in as seniors provide.

We have needed a good shooter for ever.

I believe it was CSM that let krissa put Kerr on the jersey

I’m in favor of Boz staying.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:39 am We also now have 0 seniors on the roster. I would expect that Tommy would add some senior players through the portal.

Currently our roster is this:

Guards:
Bradley
Phillips
Boswell
Martinez

Wings:
Lewis
Bryant
Sanon

Bigs:
Krivas
Anderson
Veesaar
Stephens

Leaving us with 2 open spots at the moment. I think our bigs are covered. I would think we add a knockdown shooter and a 6’7-6’9 defender.

Hopefully leadership guys that don’t mind coming off the bench (I know that’s rare). Because our possible starting lineup is solid.

Bradley
Phillips
Lewis
Bryant
Krivas

With main rotation guys:

Boswell
Anderson/Veesaar
Sanon
Martinez
Just my thoughts but I think Bryant comes off the bench and Sanon ends up with a starters role or at least more minutes

We need a physical 4 from the portal to help Krivas who needs to add strength in his base.

I liked what I saw of Anderson with respect to his aggressiveness and I am anxious to see his progress. Not sure what to expect from Veesaar. He flashed at times but lost confidence and I really wonder if the game of basketball is a priority to him
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is Bradley willing to come off the bench again even if he plays more minutes? I have never seen a coach so unwilling to change his starting lineup if Boswell starts day 1 next season. How many other teams had the same starting lineup game 1 as game 36? Only aberration was when Lloyd started Weitman over Boswell for Senior Day.

I remember JT saying that he was really pleased when he was named starter, so he could go to the starters only meetings Lute had when the 2nd and 3rd teams would scrimmage. I really doubt Lloyd does that, or any coach, but there is certainly an advantage to being a starter.

Just hate to lose Bradley who is used to starting.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Does anyone ever think Lloyd has a reason for starting Boswell besides what loser podcasts say?
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Merkin wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:12 am Is Bradley willing to come off the bench again even if he plays more minutes? I have never seen a coach so unwilling to change his starting lineup if Boswell starts day 1 next season. How many other teams had the same starting lineup game 1 as game 36? Only aberration was when Lloyd started Weitman over Boswell for Senior Day.

I remember JT saying that he was really pleased when he was named starter, so he could go to the starters only meetings Lute had when the 2nd and 3rd teams would scrimmage. I really doubt Lloyd does that, or any coach, but there is certainly an advantage to being a starter.

Just hate to lose Bradley who is used to starting.
IMNSHO, I think Bradley should be looking for a reassurance that there will an open competition for starter; and, of course, for guidance on what he will be expected to improve upon moving forward. I see no reason why CTL would not be supportive of these perspectives.

Also, IMNSHO, I think Boz should expect/receive the same. His biggest issue seems to lie between his ears, and I think that any long term coach, maybe even especially a long term assistant coach, would have considerable experience assisting young player with such issues.

I also believe that CTL know both these guys better and any of us, and has a relationship with each that will/would be the foundation for all of this.

I hope both stay. I hope, and expect, that both will be improved players next season, whatever decisions are made.

My own perception has been that Bradley appears to be the likely starter next year; but I will have nothing whatsoever to to with that. In fact, that is the ONLY thing in all of this discussion that I am fully confident of.

Regardless of whatever choices are made by any of the players on this team - stay, redshirt, go, retire, etc. - I will continue to regard them positively, support their ongoing ventures, and welcome them back for any alumni roles/events in the future. Same for Kriisa!

― Kinky Friedman
Winger

Post by Winger »

Some rumblings that Boswell is gone. Not enough to bank on, yet, but might want to keep your eyes and ears open.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Yep. I could see that.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Hope he stays. I get the criticism, but the kid is only 18 still and has a much higher ceiling than he has shown. Hopefully we aren’t showing him the door. He deserves a chance to earn his spot at least.

If he leaves, I wish him luck. Always a Wildcat!
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

Winger wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:04 pm Some rumblings that Boswell is gone. Not enough to bank on, yet, but might want to keep your eyes and ears open.
Would be great for him to stay and hopefully take a big leap for next year, but with the understanding that it will be open competition with JB for the starting PG role.

We've all seen the upside when he is on but also the downside when he checks out/is MIA for large portions of games.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

MrKyle wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:01 pm
We've all seen the upside when he is on but also the downside when he checks out/is MIA for large portions of games.
Or the entire game.

I want guys to stay that want/relish the competition (including for starting spots). If they’re unsure they want the competition…
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Nothing but best wishes for Boswell and Kriisa. But neither could get the Cats to the Promised Land.

Not sure if Bradley is it, but we know it's not the other two.

Boz just needs someone who can develop him. Maybe Sean Miller at X? Miller put a lot of guards in the league. Put a lot less pressure on Boz not having to worry about getting a high seed.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Why not just start both Jaden and Kylan? Kylan could get more spot up opportunities and Jaden can penetrate with more spacing than playing with the bench last year.
MrKyle

Post by MrKyle »

SunnyAZ wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:19 pm Why not just start both Jaden and Kylan? Kylan could get more spot up opportunities and Jaden can penetrate with more spacing than playing with the bench last year.
I don't know that there is space for that with who we've got coming in

I'm guessing that KJ Lewis/Sanon/Phillips will be in the SG mix. With Sanon being a projected lottery pick and what I've seen of his film/scouting, I'd think he starts at the 3 (or shortly into the season moves to starting)
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Postmaster wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:47 am A few thoughts.

A wonder how much leadership guys who transfer in as seniors provide.

We have needed a good shooter for ever.

I believe it was CSM that let krissa put Kerr on the jersey

I’m in favor of Boz staying.
Johnson brought a ton of leadership from sdsu this season based on his tourney run last year
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Kylan Boswell has played in 71 games over two years at Arizona. Of 522 point guards rated by Real GM he is #262 out of 522. He is #12 out of 17 rated in the Pac-12. He did improve from his freshman to his sophomore year, but only marginally - there was no big Sophomore jump as is common with college guards. No matter how you slice the pie Kylan Boswell is a very average college point guard and there is nothing to remotely suggest that he will become a top tier point guard if he stays at Arizona for another year, or for three.

Personally, I do not care one way or another if he stays, or if he chooses to play somewhere else. I wish him well whatever his decision might be. I would suggest that he take every advantage he has in attending college, that he study hard, and that he obtain a degree in a field that will stand him in good stead throughout his future years.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With all the needs the UA has, I don't think trying to keep Boswell is high on Lloyd's list. Big strong PF like Keshad, and an athletic rim protector like Koloko. But if the Cats can pickup Raynaud, that would be a huge win.

Just reading comments here, it seems most of us would prefer if Lloyd works on bringing Ballo back instead of Boswell if Raynaud does not come.
CalStateTempe wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:42 pm Johnson brought a ton of leadership from sdsu this season based on his tourney run last year
I really think Johnson's impact on the team was really underrated. When the guards were slacking off when getting a lead, I rarely saw him take it easy.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I would think bringing Ballo back MIGHT mean Krivas could leave. Just guessing on that but I would think he is expecting a bigger role next year and not a back up role

I think it was Winger that pointed out that this roster has to look different to some extent to do battle in the Big 12 definitely a more defensive, physical conference.

We seem to have a glut of 5’s (Krivas, Veesaar, Anderson) and 1’s (Bradley, Boswell, Martinez) and we have some nice wings/comco 3-4 (Lewis, Bryant, Sonan) but we don’t really have any power/athletic or stretch 4’s
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Yeah, Ballo coming back most likely means Krivas & Anderson are gone. I would think the starting 3 guards/wings will be JB, KJ Lewis & Sanon. A top 10 guy doesn't come off the bench too often. Krivas is most likely the starting center unless we get an elite center in the portal. Hopefully we find an athletic 4 to replace Keshad with Anderson & Henri coming off the bench. From what I've heard, Dylan passed Henri this year in the rotation
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

If we can get someone like Johnell Davis, who just entered the transfer portal, then we can say adios to Kylan but I wouldn’t do it so the freshman class gets minutes. The freshman class is just players who were ranked about the same as Kylan.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

84Cat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:05 pm Yeah, Ballo coming back most likely means Krivas & Anderson are gone. I would think the starting 3 guards/wings will be JB, KJ Lewis & Sanon. A top 10 guy doesn't come off the bench too often. Krivas is most likely the starting center unless we get an elite center in the portal. Hopefully we find an athletic 4 to replace Keshad with Anderson & Henri coming off the bench. From what I've heard, Dylan passed Henri this year in the rotation
I'm not sure why anyone thinks Ballo is coming back.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm going to believe he's coming back until he says otherwise.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:06 pm I'm going to believe he's coming back until he says otherwise.
Didn’t he go through the Senior Day ceremony with everyone else? Doesn’t that kinda signify the end of a player’s college career?