2018 Recruiting

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

2018 Recruiting

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Puerco

Re: 2018 Recruiting

Post by Puerco »

AzCentral had a blurb about that saying he might end up the #1 player in the class. Good luck, Herb!
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
gumby

Post by gumby »

There are two other Marvin Bagleys?
Right where I want to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Better than an offer to Ed Begley, jr.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The way some of these HS sticks like Herb favorite Taylor Rohde moved, Sendek would have been better off offering Ed Begley, Sr. Now there was an actor who could clear out the paint--know what I mean, my friend?

Have to get in early on the bigs. WAY early.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Can't teach tall.

Last edited by Merkin on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Puerco wrote:AzCentral had a blurb about that saying he might end up the #1 player in the class. Good luck, Herb!
Is it possible to create a gif from Kodi Justice's mixtape (perhaps the one where he almost makes a basket) to include with all Herb recruiting comments.

It's hard to imagine a guy named Marvin being bad at basketball. Except maybe Lee Marvin, who inspires a good Simpsons scene when Homer is angry that Paint Your Wagon isn't violent enough.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
Ah my Alma Mater....
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Anybody know anything about this kid besides that he hasn't gone the puberty yet?

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstitution/ ... redictions
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Anyone have the 2018 NBA draft mocks yet?
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dmjcat

2018 Recruiting Class

Post by dmjcat »

Cats offer 2018 Corona Del Sol big man Marvin Bagley.

Potentially one of the best players in AZ history.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/h ... /20940371/

Scott Bordow, azcentral sports columnist 2:23 p.m. MST December 27, 2014

So, my gut reaction after watching Tempe Corona del Sol freshman center Marvin Bagley play for the first time?

Wow.

The 6-foot-10½-inch Bagley has to be the most physically gifted big man we've seen in high school basketball in years, if not decades. The recruiting services agree; he's been ranked as the No. 1 freshman in the country and he's already received an offer from the University of Arizona.

I wanted to see if the reality matched the hype. It didn't. Bagley was even better than I imagined.

It wasn't just the numbers he put up in Corona's 84-70 victory over Philadelphia's Imhotep High in the VisitMesa.com Basketball Challenge at Mesa Mountain View High School, although those were extraordinary for a 15-year-old: 20 points, 15 rebounds and four blocked shots.

It's the way he played. Twice Bagley pulled down a rebound at one end, dribbled the length of the court and drove inside for a lay-up. He played within Corona's team concept, rarely forcing shots but asserting himself when needed. He has a smooth turnaround jumper and he can finish with either hand. On defense he's a human eraser; Corona can funnel everything inside because of Bagley's presence.

I only saw two negatives in Bagley's game, and they're both easily correctable. He needs to get stronger to establish himself in the post; that will come over time as he develops physically. He also has to quit getting caught up in some of the tactics opponents will use to frustrate him. Imhotep's big men pulled on Bagley, elbowed him and shoved him and there were times when Bagley responded in kind; at one point officials had to separate Bagley from an Imhotep player before things got out of control.

To Bagley's credit, he never let his frustration or anger linger. But as good as he is – and as big as he is – he has to expect similar tactics from every team Corona plays.

The scary thing: Bagley only will get better. He's already one of the top 10 players in the state. By the end of his high school career, he might be one of the best players Arizona has ever produced.
gumby

Re: 2018 Recruiting Class

Post by gumby »

He can't drive ... too young.

Some comments after this video about him being held back two years. Is that right?

Also, his grandpa is Jumpin Joe Caldwell, a Sun Devil.
Bosy Billups

Re: 2018 Recruiting Class

Post by Bosy Billups »

So early, but that's awesome out of Az.

Remember Chris Thomas? I think that was his name.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Did anybody watch this kid Cody Riley go up against DJ Harvey today! Beast! I would love for these 2 kids in a Cats uniform!
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Bagley III was on the front page of espn today!

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/page/in ... s-defender
gumby

Post by gumby »

Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Ah my Alma Mater....
As long as he's better than Donnell Knight ...
3goggles wrote:Anybody know anything about this kid besides that he hasn't gone the puberty yet?

His name is Marvin Bagley, so you know he's tough. He can dunk. He can do the stare-down. Rare.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

gumby wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Ah my Alma Mater....
As long as he's better than Donnell Knight ...
3goggles wrote:Anybody know anything about this kid besides that he hasn't gone the puberty yet?

His name is Marvin Bagley, so you know he's tough. He can dunk. He can do the stare-down. Rare.
I was actually talking about DJ Harvey
gumby

Post by gumby »

Oh. Then here's more on Bagley.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/h ... /21210687/
"(Arizona coach) Sean Miller said he's the best freshman he's seen in 20 years," Nichols said of Bagley. "So that's really saying something, because Sean Miller has seen a lot of players.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Bizarre, because Bagley was on the front page of ESPN.com yesterday too. His dunk was on Instant Awesome.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I see that Miller has offered the point guard on Bagley's team (class of 2017). Alex Barcello. Strategy to get Bagley, or legit in his own right?

http://zonazealots.com/2015/02/04/sean- ... -barcello/

Comparison to Chris Hernandez, who was nails at Stanford, is intriguing.
TFCATFAN

Post by TFCATFAN »

gumby wrote:I see that Miller has offered the point guard on Bagley's team (class of 2017). Alex Barcello. Strategy to get Bagley, or legit in his own right?

Sounds like both, he dropped 51 the other night against a good team.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Saw that, just never sure what it means. Harvey Mason was a big-time scorer in high school (CIF scoring leader -- 29ppg). Didn't score much in college.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

gumby wrote:I see that Miller has offered the point guard on Bagley's team (class of 2017). Alex Barcello. Strategy to get Bagley, or legit in his own right?

http://zonazealots.com/2015/02/04/sean- ... -barcello/

Comparison to Chris Hernandez, who was nails at Stanford, is intriguing.
Has the star power
http://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Barcello-78186
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Just going to preempt Zagsblog: rumor has it they're considering a package deal.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Puerco wrote:Just going to preempt Zagsblog: rumor has it they're considering a package deal.
No brainer for Arizona right? Plus, they're Arizona kids and we need to keep them in state.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Zagoria loves him some package deals give it time lol but
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

It's early, but I say make one of them a make-good schollie.

Channing Frye wanted his star PG at Phoenix St. Mary's to play at the U also, but he just wasn't good enough to merit the scholarship.

Now, if Barcello makes All-State or All-Division, he should be revisited, but package deals haven't yet been worth it with any Arizona basketball players. It's why Bibby's friends in the post at Shadow Mountain HS (Nick Greene, Jamal Scott) were never seriously considered by Lute.
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

catgrad97 wrote:It's early, but I say make one of them a make-good schollie.

Channing Frye wanted his star PG at Phoenix St. Mary's to play at the U also, but he just wasn't good enough to merit the scholarship.

Now, if Barcello makes All-State or All-Division, he should be revisited, but package deals haven't yet been worth it with any Arizona basketball players. It's why Bibby's friends in the post at Shadow Mountain HS (Nick Greene, Jamal Scott) were never seriously considered by Lute.
Barcello is already a top recruit according to 24/7. Hopefully he continues to develop on his current arc. And 24/7 has him as a 2017 grad.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

What in the world would give you the impression that Miller would offer a HS teammate, a class ahead of a one-and-done, a scholarship in the hopes of making it a package deal? Has he done ANYTHING to lead you to believe he would make that kind of a move? I suppose you could bring up Eric Cooper, but that kid was an elite prospect on his own when he was offered, and when that changed - so did his status.

Barcelona is the #34 ranked player, and #6 PG, in the 2017 class. I am going to check out one of their games... If he is another Chris Henandez, sign me up; I loved that kid.

What would be sweeter than pulling top-flight AZ prospects in consecutive years out of a Tempe HS?
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Have to remember that Bagley is the grandson of Jumping Joe Caldwell, a Sun Devil. Then again, Joey Johnson was a Devil, too. Never mind.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Harvey Specter wrote:

Harvey Specter wrote:What in the world would give you the impression that Miller would offer a HS teammate, a class ahead of a one-and-done, a scholarship in the hopes of making it a package deal? Has he done ANYTHING to lead you to believe he would make that kind of a move? I suppose you could bring up Eric Cooper, but that kid was an elite prospect on his own when he was offered, and when that changed - so did his status.
:? What in the world would give you the impression I am even talking about what Miller is going to do?

I don't even mention his name in the post, for crying out loud. The basketball coach on my beat up here has good things to say about Bagley, is the only reason I bring up any contingencies at all.

Although neither that coach nor I would know who the f- your presumptive @$$ would be referring to by "Barcelona" beyond the largest city in Spain.

Arizona has never made any recruits from an Arizona HS a package deal, and I highly doubt they're about to start with Bagley and Barcello. If he continues to improve to all-State status then, like I posted, revisit the idea--but on a "make-good basis" unless he's got some serious leverage from other D-1 schools.
Harvey Specter wrote:What would be sweeter than pulling top-flight AZ prospects in consecutive years out of a Tempe HS?
Knowing a little bit more about what this kid can do against competition outside the state first. Arizona does NOT have to be "first in" on this kid, not by a long shot.

Oh yeah, the next Chris Hernandez, sounds great...as long as the NCAA lets Barcello play in Tucson six years.

But hey, the sky is black and all that as long as I posted it's blue, right Harvey? Your responses to me are to make less of a point than to try and show me up in some way, which I'm making it one of my New Year's resolutions to get you to knock it the hell off.

Both of these kids haven't even finished their first years in HS, for Heaven's sake. We are not Hansen and Gershon, obligated to crank the hype machine like they did for Nic Wise--give me a break.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

catgrad97 wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:

Harvey Specter wrote:What in the world would give you the impression that Miller would offer a HS teammate, a class ahead of a one-and-done, a scholarship in the hopes of making it a package deal? Has he done ANYTHING to lead you to believe he would make that kind of a move? I suppose you could bring up Eric Cooper, but that kid was an elite prospect on his own when he was offered, and when that changed - so did his status.
:? What in the world would give you the impression I am even talking about what Miller is going to do?

I don't even mention his name in the post, for crying out loud. The basketball coach on my beat up here has good things to say about Bagley, is the only reason I bring up any contingencies at all.

Although neither that coach nor I would know who the f- your presumptive @$$ would be referring to by "Barcelona" beyond the largest city in Spain.

Arizona has never made any recruits from an Arizona HS a package deal, and I highly doubt they're about to start with Bagley and Barcello. If he continues to improve to all-State status then, like I posted, revisit the idea--but on a "make-good basis" unless he's got some serious leverage from other D-1 schools.
Harvey Specter wrote:What would be sweeter than pulling top-flight AZ prospects in consecutive years out of a Tempe HS?
Knowing a little bit more about what this kid can do against competition outside the state first. Arizona does NOT have to be "first in" on this kid, not by a long shot.

Oh yeah, the next Chris Hernandez, sounds great...as long as the NCAA lets Barcello play in Tucson six years.

But hey, the sky is black and all that as long as I posted it's blue, right Harvey? Your responses to me are to make less of a point than to try and show me up in some way, which I'm making it one of my New Year's resolutions to get you to knock it the hell off.

Both of these kids haven't even finished their first years in HS, for Heaven's sake. We are not Hansen and Gershon, obligated to crank the hype machine like they did for Nic Wise--give me a break.
Whatever, dude. Miller has offered both of them, and he has not exactly seemed apt to jump the gun in making offers. But I wish he would have considered the level of competition first. If only he had done his homework, damn it! (Incidentally, waiting to be named All-Division or All-State does not exactly address that critical concern)

But being contrarian does lend itself to being perceived by the herd as insightful and intelligent. Everyone on Wall Street thinks the shorts represent the smart money, so it must be true.

Thanks for cluing me in on Barcelona... I'll look it up on Google to learn more about it. In other news, auto-fill on iOS is a useful feature that can be frustrating at times.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

FSA+
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Been watching the Barcellos play for years...mostly the older sisters that are always on the Seton Catholic Prep state title teams. There is still another little sister at their Catholic elementary school. Seton boys hired the wrong coach (Sorry, Commander, shoulda been Pinter), and Barcello left his buddy Jake Reuter and went to Corona. He is still a little thin for his size, and his being left handed, from the valley, and white will cause Matt Carlino comparisons. Alex has more handle and better court vision than Matt had. Alex can do some pretty amazing things with the ball in his hands...solid misdirection passes, and a variety of shots from 3 point line into the midrange and around the rim. Slippery with a scorer's attitude. He'd have to start from scratch on playing Miller defense, and ultimately, I doubt he ends up at Arizona, or an Arizona, but I could be wrong. Virginia also offered, as has WSU, I believe. Kid's dream is Duke, but that could just be a young kid entering into a process. Family is pretty solidly upper middle class, and education has been a big part of where his sisters have gone to play. It might very well be part of Alex's thought process with his family, too. The sisters have shown a willingness to go far away (Julia, Seton's girls star last year, is at Colgate). If you were to label them anything as just a family at our school who likes sports, it would be an ASU family as much as UA. But I don't think they let that kind of stuff get into their way when it comes to finding the best for their kids. ASU has been talking with Dad Barcello since Alex was 10.

Ultimately, I could see him getting away to a mid 20 recruiting class, and causing us some heartburn here and there for not having him. I think he'd be a fantastic fit for us with our idea of a 3 or 4 year guy holding the play making position in place around some one and 2 and dones. He'd be a Freshman when PJC is a senior. If Alex's game keeps improving as it has from last year to this year, he is a real intriguing prospect to maybe extend a bit to get as an in-state kid with motor, passion, basketball IQ, and a good head on his shoulders. Oh, and the ability to score and pass with the best.

When it is all said and done, if Alex can put on another 20 lbs and maintain his quickness and vision, I think he is a Virginia level recruit, which is in our neighbohood.. The super elites like Kentucky (also a fan) and Duke might not be the right fit, but if they want a 4 year contributor with some high skill level that can run a team at a good clip for years, he is the guy. And, no...the way to Bagley's heart is not through Barcello. No package there. Nothing wrong with them...they are good teammates. But there is no special bond between Bagley and Barcello
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Main Event wrote:
FSA+

Liked the pass off the backboard at the :50 mark.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

SCCats

Post by SCCats »

So are we now off the "Two and a half years from now Hurley's going to get Bagley to come to ASU for his one year of college and it's going to change everything for ASU basketball" trip?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Lol and Asu thinks they'll get him. Not when Arizona, duke and Kentucky are after him.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

15?
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

ASUHATER! wrote:Lol and Asu thinks they'll get him. Not when Arizona, duke and Kentucky are after him.
His grandfather was the greatest player in the history of the ASU BB program, an Olympian, and a higher NBA draft choice than Arizona has ever produced. If Hurley does his job with the family - and has a good start to his ASU coaching career - do not write them off.

If "be the start of something, and not a part of something" can convince Ivan Rabb to say at home over offers from Arizona, Kentucky, and others - Bagley to ASU is not an impossibility.

That does not mean it's going to happen, either... Just that this is the latest in ASUHater's proclamations that are falsely represented as indisputable facts.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

When did I say it was an indisputable fact? Seems like you're making some things up. Just is unlikely he'll go to Asu. Not a fact. Oh and remove the stick from your anus.

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Harvey Specter wrote:
His grandfather was the greatest player in the history of the ASU BB program, an Olympian, and a higher NBA draft choice than Arizona has ever produced. If Hurley does his job with the family - and has a good start to his ASU coaching career - do not write them off.
Joe Caldwell, Bagley's grandfather, was the #2 pick in his draft. Arizona has had both Mike Bibby and Derrick Williams go #2 in their respective NBA Drafts. So needless to say the bolded is incorrect.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

So he's already 16 before he even starts his sophomore year? That means he'd be 19 and eligible for the nba draft right out of high school unless they change the rule.

luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

While of course it would be great to bring him in that is 3 1/2 years away.

I find it hard to believe that the current NBA draft restrictions will not have changed by then.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:So he's already 16 before he even starts his sophomore year? That means he'd be 19 and eligible for the nba draft right out of high school unless they change the rule.
That's not the rule for American high school players. If you graduate from high school you have to be one year removed from your high school graduating class to be draft eligible. The 19 year rule is for international prospects.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Ah I thought the rule was 1 year removed from hs or you had to be 19.

enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Rules may allow high school straight to the NBA by the time this kid has to decide on college.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Barcello was considered to be a top 25 kid in his class at one point. Sounds like thats a package of one and done and a 3 or 4 year guy who is likely going to be a solid contributor, at least as an upper classman. There isnt a coach in the country who wouldnt jump at that
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Barcello was considered to be a top 25 kid in his class at one point. Sounds like thats a package of one and done and a 3 or 4 year guy who is likely going to be a solid contributor, at least as an upper classman. There isnt a coach in the country who wouldnt jump at that
Barcello and Bagley are a package deal now? Has either of them ever said that before?