Lute

Post by NYCat »

80!

http://instagram.com/p/tL5HFpOAq0/

Happy Birthday coach.
UAEebs86

Re: Lute

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Wow, wished we could've seen Lute's face when he saw just how many showed up. Must be one hell of a party.

Hope there's many more birthdays in his future. :)
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I guess my invitation got lost in the mail
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

AZCatGirl wrote:Wow, wished we could've seen Lute's face when he saw just how many showed up. Must be one hell of a party.

Wish I had seen his face when he saw Hansen.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Chicat wrote:
AZCatGirl wrote:Wow, wished we could've seen Lute's face when he saw just how many showed up. Must be one hell of a party.

:lol:
-JB
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

Chicat wrote:

It's times like this I miss rep. :lol:
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

I don't think Greg Hansen was invited.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Alieberman wrote:I guess my invitation got lost in the mail
Same here. I mean I did almost knock Lute over with a pallet at the bookstore in 2007 when I worked there. Makes us practically brothers.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
The Butcher

Post by The Butcher »

AZCatGirl wrote:
Holy crap that cake is awesome.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Craig McMillian sighting.
McShot! I was there raising hell of course!
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CBCat wrote:Craig McMillian sighting.
McShot! I was there raising hell of course!
You and me both. Only time I ran on the floor.

Had a philosophy class with McMillan.
-JB
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Lute has created a legendary crew
gumby

Post by gumby »

NYCat wrote:80!

http://instagram.com/p/tL5HFpOAq0/

Happy Birthday coach.
This is fantastic.
Right where I want to be.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/ ... -80-092214
TUCSON, Ariz. -- You know life is good when you can spend a long weekend with friends and family to enjoy your 80th birthday. Being an octogenarian never looked so good. The life of Riley, indeed. And doing well on the golf course didn't hurt former Arizona Hall of Fame basketball coach Lute Olson, who Monday celebrates his 80th birthday.
"I feel great and yes, I'll be 80 but it's just a number, I guess," Olson said on Sunday just a few hours after getting off the golf course and late having lunch with some of his friends and former players. "My health is great. ... Everything is fine. Everything has been well."

How could it not? "I played the best round of golf I've played in the last two years," he said of his 86 at La Paloma Country Club.

It was a whirlwind weekend for the former Arizona coach, who was inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame in 2002 and who called it a career in 2008 after suffering a stroke and its complications. Visitors for his surprise party were Harvey Mason, Steve Kerr, Sean Elliott, Luke Walton, Channing Frye, Miles Simon and about 100 others, including wives and friends. His wife, Kelly, helped with close to 1,000 emails and texts over the last couple months. "We had a great time," he said.
Pictures were all over Twitter, with him as the central figure among the many former players.

"We had a great day with tons of his former players," Steve Kerr said in an email. "It's amazing how much of an impact he had on all of our lives."

Former players ranged from Iowa to Long Beach City College -- both stops before his quarter century at Arizona, where he won a national title in 1997.

"It's always great seeing my Wildcat family but this time was extra special," said Joseph Blair, a former player and now a graduate assistant coach on current Arizona coach Sean Miller's staff. "We had the opportunity to celebrate the birthday of the man that started that family for us. When I stop and really think of it, it was Coach O bringing me to Tucson that became the catalyst for many lessons learned, friendships created, the birth of my oldest son, my philanthropic state of mind, and so many other positive aspects of what now defines who I am as a man."

Those memories were typical of those who spoke of him. Daniel Dillon remembers Olson's large hands among his many memories.
"From the moment his giant hands swallowed mine when greeting me for the first time in Tucson 'til today, still not knowing whether he truly understood my Australian accent," said Dillon in a text. "The reason why I decided to select University of Arizona was because of the way he treated his players, not only on the court but outside of basketball also. The friendships that I've made through my teammates and staff can only be credited to the way Coach O selected great men into the program."

Former player Sean Rooks echoed that on Facebook:

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO A COACH, FATHER, FRIEND, MENTOR & HALL OF FAMER...LUTE OLSON! Thank You For Building An Empire And Changing Young Players Into Men. Thank You For Creating A Tradition That Will Be Carried On Long After He Has Retired. We SALUTE You & Thank You. Cool Hand LUTE. THE MAN, THE MYTH, THE LEGEND. HAPPY 80th #STILLtheBestHairInTheGame."

His famously perfectly placed white hair may not move but Olson surely does. Since retirement, he's actively been all over, and will be in Italy next weekend for an extended vacation Kelly got him for Christmas. And for the most of the recent years he's a constant at all Arizona home games, he's been an ambassador for the UA Foundation and a television commercial star. He's even done the robot, taught to him by Kerr as he said in the commercial. "That was a lot of fun doing that," he said, laughing. "We had a great time."

No more than the three-day celebration he had in Tucson getting to see everyone.

"It was very special," he said. "It was a family affair again." There may have even been some recruiting going on. Walton and wife, Bre (a former Arizona volleyball standout), brought their newborn son, Lawson, with them. "As you'd expect by seeing mom and dad, he's just beautiful," Olson said. "He's happy and smiling."

And, of course, a future Wildcat.
WildcatRx

Post by WildcatRx »

Machina is still upset that it wasn't held in PHX.
"I do not like Miller"-- Machina
Sonora919

Post by Sonora919 »

I see RichRod... is Miller taking the pic?
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Awesome. That guy is loved by a lot more than his players too. Hell, I love the guy and I never met him :o
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Phylek

Post by Phylek »

He likes to point at the camera.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Go back and watch the end of the national championship game--he was doing that with Pastner live.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Mr An's Tucson - Join us next Thursday for this epic event! Lute Olson will be here at 7pm autographing "100 Things Arizona Fans Need to Know and Do Before They Die!" #BearDown
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Is that Donnell Harris? Looks like he never got off the evil weed. AJ looks like he can still ball, same with almost every other ex player.

CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Is that book going to be on Amazona?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

It was on the counter in the McKale shop and im sure its in the bookstore. Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Things-Arizona-Fa ... =amaz98-20
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe wrote:Image

Mr An's Tucson - Join us next Thursday for this epic event! Lute Olson will be here at 7pm autographing "100 Things Arizona Fans Need to Know and Do Before They Die!" #BearDown

Pleased that they picked his jersey number for the cover:

Main Event

Post by Main Event »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

97cats

Post by 97cats »

awesome
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I'm sort of disappointed it isn't him pointing to the scoreboard vs ASU, but a great tribute to a great coach.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'm sort of disappointed it isn't him pointing to the scoreboard vs ASU, but a great tribute to a great coach.
Exactly what I thought when I first saw it!
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

they should move it up like 7-8 days so that it is the same day as our national championship parade through Tucson
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:they should move it up like 7-8 days so that it is the same day as our national championship parade through Tucson
If we actually win a NC after this year, I'm sure I can sustain a long enough bender to make it to the statue.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:they should move it up like 7-8 days so that it is the same day as our national championship parade through Tucson
If we actually win a NC after this year, I'm sure I can sustain a long enough bender to make it to the statue.
If we won the natty, my problem would be stopping the bender... I probably would forget the month of April.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

invite-only event
boooooooooo
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Same here. I mean I did almost knock Lute over with a pallet at the bookstore in 2007 when I worked there. Makes us practically brothers.
We sat side by side at a Tucson Youth at Risk Fundraiser. I asked if I could ask him some questions. He said sure. I pulled out an 8 X 11" sheet of paper with questions on both sides. He yanked it out of my hands and answered every question fully. I even won the door prize of a ball signed by the 1996 team and coaches.
Dickerson handed me the ball.That should make us BFF. We are of the same generation. I am 2 1/3 years younger than Lute.
I was very close friends of the founder and director Of Youth at Risk. She knew that I liked Lute and purposely put him on my good ear side. He had a fruit plate while the rest of us had a traditional egg breakfast. He did not know me, but I had heard him at a few other functions. I still have the ball and no one in my family really wants it.
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
We sat side by side at a Tucson Youth at Risk Fundraiser. I asked if I could ask him some questions. He said sure. I pulled out an 8 X 11" sheet of paper with questions on both sides. He yanked it out of my hands and answered every question fully. I even won the door prize of a ball signed by the 1996 team and coaches.
Dickerson handed me the ball.That should make us BFF. We are of the same generation. I am 2 1/3 years younger than Lute.
I was very close friends of the founder and director Of Youth at Risk. She knew that I liked Lute and purposely put him on my good ear side. He had a fruit plate while the rest of us had a traditional egg breakfast. He did not know me, but I had heard him at a few other functions. I still have the ball and no one in my family really wants it.
Awesome story DiehardDave37! Thanks much for sharing. Very interesting to read.

I attended the same church as Lute and Bobbi briefly and they were such class acts...so gracand friendly even with all the attention. He is such a beloved gentleman.

Bear Down.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:I am 2 1/3 years younger than Lute.
Dave, maybe it's time to stop counting years in third-increments ;) :lol:
DiehardDave37 wrote: I still have the ball and no one in my family really wants it.
Hey, ya know, I'm part of your BDW family, and I'd love it ;) :D
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
invite-only event
boooooooooo
There will be a live stream according to Wildcat Wednesday. So at least we can all watch it.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Dedication of the statue is tomorrow. Podcast talking about Lutes greatest accomplishments: https://www.spreaker.com/user/10228740/ ... oplay=true" target="_blank
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Jefe wrote:Dedication of the statue is tomorrow. Podcast talking about Lutes greatest accomplishments: https://www.spreaker.com/user/10228740/ ... oplay=true" target="_blank
I bought one of those Kerr shirts to help fund it.

I then had an accident (single person, no one else hurt, no vehicles...) that broke my rib wearing the shirt a day later.

I feel like I should at least get a mention on the plaque.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Starts in 1 hour: http://pac-12.com/live/university-arizona" target="_blank
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Crazy windy outside too
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Is coach Miller listening to Damon? Lol. Switch it up
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Lute looking dapper.
-JB
cats101

Post by cats101 »

UAEebs86 wrote:Lute looking dapper.
Very!

Congrats to Coach. Well deserved and the statue looks good. Might drive by to check it out this weekend.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Dosia wrote:Is coach Miller listening to Damon? Lol. Switch it up
Why would he start now?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DiehardDave37 wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
If no one in your family is interested, I'd be happy to relieve them of the burden if you need to pass it on. You seem like a good guy, so hopefully that isn't for a while, but it can't hurt to throw my name in early.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Lute probably doesn't like me. A friend and I were walking to Staples Center for the 2012 PAC tourney in the walkway north of the ESPNZone. It was early and relatively empty and who should we see but Lute and his wife talking with some couple who said their pleasantries and walked off. They had gotten a picture and my friend had never met or seen Lute off the court (Lute and I go way back, walking by each other in an empty McKale while I was on my way to a class....I'd nod and say "Coach" and he'd nod back and say "hello"), so I asked if we could get a picture of him with my friend. He and his wife smiled and he said "yes", so my friend jumped into a pic with Lute and wife (cropping is essential).

I snapped the pic, we all shook hands, and I started to walk off. My friend said "what about you?" Lute looked at me with a look I can only describe as Regal Puppy Dog. He was confused. I said "No...thank you. I took a picture with you in Flagstaff recently". (I had, in fact, been in a picture with him at a YMCA fundraiser up north). Lute looked confused, said OK, and they walked off.

My friend caught up to me and said "you totally left Lute hanging. He looked...sad."

I looked back and they were well on their way. I hadn't considered his feelings. I thought I was saving him an obligation. I didn't for one second consider that he missed coaching and the attention...albeit in small doses.

I felt bad the rest of the day...I didn't consider HE might have wanted me to ask for a picture.